Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise Here's my list.  Someone posted and they made a good point.  This league is an Offense driving one.  We need a good OC HC and OC under him to keep it going but we also need to search high and wide for a good DC too.  

Sure, I don't think it escaped anyone here.  It's part of the reason why I have Slowik as #2 even though his profile doesn't hit me as exciting as some of the defensive cordinators.

But I am not a hard out on a defensive coordinator. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I think today is Jay's weekly call in to Chris Russell's show around 3pm. Should make for some interesting listening (assuming he doesn't have a hangover)

My God.  I knew he went on with Sheehan weekly.  I didn't know he was on with Russell.  

Question: does the guest get to take a nap during Russell's pregnant pauses while answering questions?  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I watched the Eagles post game show. They actually do a nice job with it. Not happy to say the least, Seth Joyner does a good job on it. All calling for Siriani to get the axe.

I will say that Jeff Lurie needs to be careful, because the Super Bowl loser's hangover seems like a real thing. Overreaction is a risk. It does look like there's some bad juju in the locker room, though, based on that collapse. I'm not sure what I'd do there.

I just hope whatever it is, it messes them up for years to come.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

My thing about Macdonald and why he is at #1 is he completely ate both Johnson and Slowik's lunch this season. Now to be fair, Houston is a really young and less talented team and it was their first game of the season but he simply outcoached the other side in BOTH games against Detroit and Houston. The Lions could not do anything offensively 

It was Ravens 38, Lions 6

And Ravens 29, Texans 9

I am excited about Saturday because I want to see what Slowik has learned from that 1st meeting and how he adjusts.

They also built their pass rush off the street and it was much better than ours.  I recall all the concerns this off season about the Ravens pass rush.   McDonald made lemonade out of lemons.  Rivera did the opposite.   They end up 2nd in sack percentage and this team ended up 25th.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Dream podcast for @Voice_of_Reason  Bram on Galdi.

Bram as an insider is no Keim :ols: but he's also not bad,

Bram's top 4 desires:  Johnson, R. Morris, McDonald, Jim Harbaugh -- though doesn't think they will chase Harbaugh.

Suggested this team has a #1 and #2 desire at HC.

Talked about Ben Johnson as the #1 (he elaborated more on this on his radio show when Keim was on it).  He went on that they might want him but does Ben want to come here?  He talked about Carolina and the money they might offer, etc.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, profusion said:

I will say that Jeff Lurie needs to be careful, because the Super Bowl loser's hangover seems like a real thing. Overreaction is a risk. It does look like there's some bad juju in the locker room, though, based on that collapse. I'm not sure what I'd do there.

They need to trade Brown.

He's a diva/cancer.  He's also outstanding.  For 1 year.  

KC should trade us for McClaurin and the Eagles for Brown.  

They'd score 90 points a game and go undefeated.  Then they can cut Brown when he starts ****ing, and move on with McLaurin.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dream podccat for @Voice_of_Reason  Bram on Galdi.

Bram as an insider is no Keim :ols: but he's also not bad,

Brams top 4 desires:  Johnson, R. Morris, McDonald, Jim Harbaugh -- though doesn't think they will chase Harbaugh.

Suggested this team has a #1 and #2 desire at HC.

Talked about Ben Johnson as the #1 (he elaborated more on this on his radio show when Keim was on it).  He went on that they might want him but does Ben want to come here?  He talked about Carolina and the money they might offer, etc.

I started listening to it this morning but then I got to work.  So I'm going to listen a bit later.  

I do find it odd that my 2 favorite media members, well 2 of 3 with Keim, are massive Heinicke fans and supporters.  Bram is so transparent that on his show last year whenever Heinicke did ANYTHING good with the Falcons he jumped up and down and did cartwheels, called for him to start, said Ridder was not as good, and then when he went out and threw 3 picks, the falcons game was notably skipped over from the rundown.  

I guess nobody is perfect.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do find it odd that my 2 favorite media members, well 2 of 3 with Keim, are massive Heinicke fans and supporters.  Bram is so transparent that on his show last year whenever Heinicke did ANYTHING good with the Falcons he jumped up and down and did cartwheels, called for him to start, said Ridder was not as good, and then when he went out and threw 3 picks, the falcons game was notably skipped over from the rundown.  

I guess nobody is perfect.  

Bram had a good segment on his radio show purely about Ron, you can find it on his shows archives.  He really took the gloves off while also admitting that he doesn't do in real time during the season as an employee of the team.  But he shared some interesting stories.  the Keim segment on his show was good, too.  Listening to him with Keim made me follow his points with Galdi better.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure, I don't think it escaped anyone here.  It's part of the reason why I have Slowik as #2 even though his profile doesn't hit me as exciting as some of the defensive cordinators.

But I am not a hard out on a defensive coordinator. 

I'm not a fan of the one I crossed through. 

More of a question for this thread's  discussions than a comment on particular candidate for HC

A,lot of the top candidates for Washington's next HC seem to be OCs who's offenses have well-designed schemes and putting up points, as well as some DCs whose defenses play with great passion and seem to be able to adjust effectively to the whatever their opponent's offense is trying to do.  Also, it seems like the top-tier of candidates can show how they have buy-in from their players on the quality of the tactical leadership of the coordinator, as well as to the value of coordinator's play-schemes.

My question is whether an OC or DC's  tactical smarts and innovative design ability plus their group's player buy-in of them, is all that's needed for being a great head coach.  My sense is it seems like head coaches have a wider range of important responsibilities, with different duties than those covered by an OC or DC.  If so, it got me wondering about the following:

-> Can an HC be able to dedicate as much time to the granular detailed work involved with the tactical level of running an offense or defense? 

-> Are there other things an HC has to be good at, such as managing the front office, media relations, etc -- that an OC or DC didn't usually have to deal with? 

-> If the DC or OC was really hands-on in his approach to working with his particular group, what happens when they as an HC has to rely on an intermediary coach?  (It seems like the higher up you go in a business, the more you have to loosen the reins on things you handled personally, and manage others to do it, in your p!ace.  And sometimes managing middle- managers is different than managing rank and file.)

These are just questions I'm wondering about and whether these kinds of issues might play a role in the criteria used by the front office's committee seeking to bring in an HC.  and so, I'm curious on what other  ES''ers' might have as thoughts/opinions on this topic.

One additional issue that might also,come into play:  There have been some instances where HCs decide to directly take on OC or DC responsibilities, in addition to their HC duties.  What are your thoughts on that approach?  Wouldn't this detract from the HC performing due diligence on some important HC responsibilities?  Is such an approach effective or viable for an HC to do for a,long time, or do  things get dropped?

16 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I always heard it was a Mark Twain quote.  It's an old saying.

It was actually some Congressman who said it. It seems like it's one of the multitude of quotes that people like to attribute to Twain that he didn't;t say. Einstein gets that treatment too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Technically since you have a tie at #1, Johnson would be your #3. :P

1. Ben Johnson

2. Bobby Slowik

3. Raheem Morris (I think anybody who gets to spend time with McVay gets a leg up.  And he matched wits with Ben Johnson almost to a stalemate.  Very impressive.)

4. Macdonald

5. Aaron Glenn

6. ** I know NOTHING about Weaver.  But I'll put him here.

7. Dan Quinn

I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the search and talk to the OC from Tampa at some point, who's done a great job with Baker. 

I don't think they're going to go for Vrabel, Harbaugh or Belichick.  

Number 5 sounds like a Jerry Jones spy.

Philly will axe their coach because their QB can't handle being blitzed. Perfect. Seems like a decent enough coach to me - not great but good.

They need to implement a very complex and overly complicated blocking scheme next year to shelter Hurts. Who will eventually be forced to run more to counter it ala Josh Allen.

29 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

More of a question for this thread's  discussions than a comment on particular candidate for HC

A,lot of the top candidates for Washington's next HC seem to be OCs who's offenses have well-designed schemes and putting up points, as well as some DCs whose defenses play with great passion and seem to be able to adjust effectively to the whatever their opponent's offense is trying to do.  Also, it seems like the top-tier of candidates can show how they have buy-in from their players on the quality of the tactical leadership of the coordinator, as well as to the value of coordinator's play-schemes.

My question is whether an OC or DC's  tactical smarts and innovative design ability plus their group's player buy-in of them, is all that's needed for being a great head coach.  My sense is it seems like head coaches have a wider range of important responsibilities, with different duties than those covered by an OC or DC.  If so, it got me wondering about the following:

-> Can an HC be able to dedicate as much time to the granular detailed work involved with the tactical level of running an offense or defense? 

-> Are there other things an HC has to be good at, such as managing the front office, media relations, etc -- that an OC or DC didn't usually have to deal with? 

-> If the DC or OC was really hands-on in his approach to working with his particular group, what happens when they as an HC has to rely on an intermediary coach?  (It seems like the higher up you go in a business, the more you have to loosen the reins on things you handled personally, and manage others to do it, in your p!ace.  And sometimes managing middle- managers is different than managing rank and file.)

These are just questions I'm wondering about and whether these kinds of issues might play a role in the criteria used by the front office's committee seeking to bring in an HC.  and so, I'm curious on what other  ES''ers' might have as thoughts/opinions on this topic.

One additional issue that might also,come into play:  There have been some instances where HCs decide to directly take on OC or DC responsibilities, in addition to their HC duties.  What are your thoughts on that approach?  Wouldn't this detract from the HC performing due diligence on some important HC responsibilities?  Is such an approach effective or viable for an HC to do for a,long time, or do  things get dropped?

Well I don't know many coaches without an OC, they all have them but there are coaches who still retain playcalling duties (Shanahan, McDaniel, LaFleur, McVay). I believe DeMeco Ryans calls the defense in Houston. 

I am fine with it, especially if that person has already proven to be successful at it. But if its not working they have to be able to give it up. That's one of the things that doomed Brandon Staley, he was very arrogant and it was obviously interfering with his ability to coach so I think its more case by case and depends on the individual.

Kyle Shanahan seems to handle it fine but he is also VERY good at identifying talent (like DeMeco Ryans to lead his defense).

Also Brandon Staley is why I think being a leader is important but also can't be the end all be all. Staley was supposedly a boy wonder the next McVay, who was a great, charimsatic leader but he was a dreadful, stubborn and rigid head coach. There were all these glowing things like thus written about him:

1 hour ago, profusion said:

Siriani is an ass. That act is tolerated if you win - but stack up a few losses and people will look for an excuse to get you out of town. Even in Philly.

His mishandling of the defensive situation there will weight against him.

• Like 6

Just now, MartinC said:

Siriani is an ass. That act is tolerated if you win - but stack up a few losses and people will look for an excuse to get you out of town. Even in Philly.

His mishandling of the defensive situation there will weight against him.

I have the feeling that Desai gets canned and Sirianni is on the hot seat next year.

• Like 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I have the feeling that Desai gets canned and Sirianni is on the hot seat next year.

I agree with that. He will get another year but have to make big coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball.

His seat is hot though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I agree with that. He will get another year but have to make big coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball.

His seat is hot though. 

Which is great because the Eagles played about as hard for him as we did for Rivera down the stretch.

• Like 2