Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I put some of this on another thread but this part works better here

Why Ben Johnson is atop the coaching wish list

As Black Monday looms, expect many teams to woo Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator. Here's why.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. — The 180 turnaround is real in the NFL. Look no further than Saturday’s win-and-in showcase. The DeMeco Ryans-led Houston Texans travel to Indianapolis to face the Shane Steichen-led Colts with a trip to the playoffs on the line. And if Jacksonville loses? The winner also takes the AFC South.

Remarkable considering the sad state of both unions last year. The Texans and Colts were a combined 7-25-2. Jeff Saturday, fresh out of the ESPN booth, blew that 33-0 lead to Minnesota and was also outscored 33-0 in a fourth quarter by Dallas. The Texans weren’t too interested in winning for a good two years, David Culley to Lovie Smith, with a rough roster. All a Davis Mills vs. Sam Ehlinger quarterback duel in the finale ensured was that the Texans lost the No. 1 pick to the Chicago Bears.

Both rebuilds for both AFC South teams appeared to be total demolitions. Any daydreaming of a 10-win season required medical attention.

Yet, Ryans and Steichen swiftly reinvigorated their respective fan bases.

Texans vs. Colts may now decide the 2023 Coach of the Year.

A promising reminder to all because, when this 2023 regular season concludes, a slew of teams will officially start hunting for a new head man. The Los Angeles Chargers, Las Vegas Raiders and Carolina Panthers already hit reset. They’ll soon be joined by the Washington Commanders and, likely, the New England Patriots. Many flowery news reports of coaches elsewhere being “safe” may be crumpled and thrown into the trash with one change of heart by an owner. We’ve seen it repeatedly. Right now, hope can sure seem lost for teams. The Chargers made Justin Herbert the richest player in NFL history… only to go 5-11. Panthers owner David Tepper, a 66-year-old billionaire, tossed a drink at a fan.

Yet, constantly, we see proof that fortunes change quickly in this league.

When mass interviews begin, the name Ben Johnson will circulate more than any other. The Detroit Lions’ offensive coordinator will be in high-demand — rightfully so.

This rebuild in the Motor City, of course, has been meticulous. The Lions have transformed from 3-13-1 to 9-8 to 11-5 contenders with Johnson, the OC, building one of the most dynamic offenses in the NFL. His play design is innovative. His playcalling, fearless. Production speaks for itself: Detroit ranks sixth in passing (4,286 yards), fourth in rushing (2,241 yards) and have scored the third-most touchdowns (54) in the NFL. Jared Goff revitalized his career. When this unit is synchronized, rushing lanes part like the sea. Receivers are wide open. There are flea-flickers… and third-down passes to Penei Sewell… and 2-point passes to Taylor Decker. The Lions turn Sundays into backyard football.

Most owners crave offensive minds at the edge of innovation. That’s why the coaching trees of Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan were pillaged. Those who are a step behind will resemble dinosaurs — fast. That was the problem in Carolina. Frank Reich’s playbook was suddenly collecting cobwebs and the Panthers had too much invested in Bryce Young. It’s no shock Carolina reportedly covets Johnson.

...Unpredictability reigns in Detroit. This collection of weapons kill opponents with paper cuts, with 15-play drives. They also take shots deep. And finish in the red zone, scoring touchdowns 63 percent of the time (fifth-best in the NFL). And run where most teams pass. And pass where most teams run. Remember this fourth and 1 at Lambeau Field last year? It’s almost impossible for opposing coordinators to nail down his tendencies because the Lions are capable of jamming 11 bodies together to play smashmouth and spreading five receivers wide.

Reynolds estimates that the Lions are in the perfect play call for whichever defensive alignment they face 80 percent of the time. It’s a look they practiced all week. The second receivers see it, they’re practically salivating.  

Always, the Lions stay aggressive. They’re 39 of 75 on fourth downs the past two seasons with Johnson’s playcalling complementing Campbell’s brass-balls nature.

This is the trait that stands out most as a playcaller.

Says Reynolds: “He’s not scared.”

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-ben-johnson-is-atop-the-coaching

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

People who say it’s just Lance are missing the point. Look at his last few years at Broncos. Again I am not against Peters but I don’t see the slam dunk.

Many would applaud it. Posters on here have made claims that the best way to find your guy is to keep trying/drafting QBs. Assuming due diligence, I’m not against it. 

23 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I want Peters not only for the knowledge and talent he possesses as a GM but a cherry on top would be sticking to Shanny and Trent for the stunt they pulled which allowed them to acquire Trent for less draft capital. F both of them and F the 9’ers!

What stunt? Bruce Allen and co screwed that up from the beginning. Please refresh my memory. 

edit: this might have all been @Rufus T Firefly fault. I see that now. I hope you do too. 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Gibbsisgod2006 said:

I don't mind Doc either I think he can be funny at times. I would agree about Grant Paulson and Craig Hoffman. I can remember Grant was doing an interview with the backup QB from Carolina talking about carrying momentum over from the following season, and Grant chimes in and says he doesn't think that momentum can be carried over from the following season. I I just that was so arrogant for him to say that when he hasn't played at all. I get that Grant has been doing sports media since he was like 10 years old but when you have an athlete that is saying something you do not have to contradict him like that in my opinion.  

I'm not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but I am also 100% sure that momentum can't be carried over from the following season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Why is Bill Belicheck 2nd highest at 3-1? He shouldn't even be on the radar.

It's vegas. People know Bill's name.  Florio has been banging around with it nationally.  Vegas isn't trying to get it right.  They're trying to make money.  Some suckers are going to bet on Bill and Vegas will laugh a lot and make a lot of money.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is one of those vegas lines where the actual truth means absolutely nothing, it's entirely based on Vegas' thought of which suckers will bet for which big name in order for them to lose and make money.

I know.  But for now I am taking the red pill -- living in a world of my own that Adam Peters and Ben Johnson are already here.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's vegas. People know Bill's name.  Florio has been banging around with it nationally.  Vegas isn't trying to get it right.  They're trying to make money.  Some suckers are going to bet on Bill and Vegas will laugh a lot and make a lot of money.

Thats why you bet against Bill getting the job. I'm tempted, lol. 

I think Belichick will end up geting a job that isn't even available yet. Like the Bills, or Cowturds when one of them loses and the coach looks like an idiot. 

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

So, do people actually believe that the only two times a franchise traded 3 #1s to move up for a QB both happened with Kyle Shanahan in tow, but that he had nothing to do with it????

I think he had everything to do with it for Try Lance.

I don't think he had much to do with it for Griffin. I think that was a Snyder/Allen thing, they ran it by Mike, Mike said "ok" (which he is on the record as saying, he said it to Sheehan directly multiple times) and then gave the caveat Griffin was going to need a special offense and it was going to take time to groom him.  Mike has said (who knows if he's lying) that he told Dan/Bruce that the biggest red flag on Griffin was how he would deal with adversity, because he hadn't really faced much of it, and he was going to face it, and there was some question about his maturity and ability to handle it.

I am sure Kyle watched film and gave his opinion to Pops.  But I don't think he was close to the architect or brainchild of it.

Trey Lance?  Yeah, that's on his room bill for sure.  Under-reported, but 49ers are a coach-centric approach.  Kyle has final say over everything.  

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

People who say it’s just Lance are missing the point. Look at his last few years at Broncos. Again I am not against Peters but I don’t see the slam dunk.

No one can say any GM candidate is a slam dunk, especially if you go by hits and misses on draft picks.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know.  But for now I am taking the red pill -- living in a world of my own that Adam Peters and Ben Johnson are already here.

We haven't actually heard a peep (unless I missed it) about the HC search, everything has been about Adam Peters.  Except that Keim and others have said the Florio doing a agent a favor Bill Belichick drivel is false. 

I was more commenting that Bill being 3-1 was Vegas' version of "SUCKERS!!!!"  And they have topless wave pools in the middle of the desert because of all the suckers who are going to lay a dime on Bill B. to be the next Commander's coach.

I'd say the odds on Peters are 50/50 at the moment.  He's going to be offered the job.  Either he takes it, or he doesn't.  And that will probably depend if SF can make a good enough case for him to turn it down.  Which I rather doubt. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

We haven't actually heard a peep (unless I missed it) about the HC search, everything has been about Adam Peters.  Except that Keim and others have said the Florio doing a agent a favor Bill Belichick drivel is false. 

I was more commenting that Bill being 3-1 was Vegas' version of "SUCKERS!!!!"  And they have topless wave pools in the middle of the desert because of all the suckers who are going to lay a dime on Bill B. to be the next Commander's coach.

I'd say the odds on Peters are 50/50 at the moment.  He's going to be offered the job.  Either he takes it, or he doesn't.  And that will probably depend if SF can make a good enough case for him to turn it down.  Which I rather doubt. 

They have some interviews lined up including a zoom today for HC but no Belichick

• Like 2

Matt Valdez (Mr Raven) on The Junkies raves about Anthony Weaver and how much better a candidate he is vs Mike McDonald.

I did some fishing around and he sounds like a super sharp guy.

Would love him as our DC

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

No one can say any GM candidate is a slam dunk, especially if you go by hits and misses on draft picks.  

Exactly. People are being too narrow minded about this. No GM is perfect and even the best have some bad misses and bad drafts. Peters is highly sought after because he’s bright, easy to work with, and was an integral member of one of the most respected organizations in the league. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Don't forget Ron Rivera is considered a great human too! 😉 

Don't tell that to 88. He'll have a stroke and claim that Snyder is still running the show. Lol.

Then He'll claim Tomlin needs to go. Even though he has nothing to do with the Redskins.  Lol. 

Such a shame. 

HTTR!

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, RVAskins said:

He's not a dinosaur, he's a walrus.

230903-andy-reid-1.jpg

780x400-swc-walrus-chouchou.ashx

You plagiarized my post and for that there will be repercussions.  (Look back a page from your post) You even used the same picture of a Walrus as I did.  

Different picture of Reid.

You didn't include the kool-aid man though.  

shameshameshame.gif.4ab3cf609f759be9f275dbb75046d48e.gif

• Haha 1