Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't think of it this way until now.  I'd put money that Cunningham would have a strong idea of what Poles thinks of Caleb, Fields, Maye, etc.

Exactly. Cool thing about interviewing him is you can pick his mind about the Caleb/Maye comparison and get an idea of where Chicago is looking to go. 4D chess. Hire him or not it was a smart move to interview the guy. And it appears he flashed. Because he made the final two. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

Some comments on Josh's style.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/08/josh-harris-commanders-coaching-search/

Perspective by Barry Svrluga

Josh Harris just took a smart step away from the Commanders’ sorry past

>>Josh Harris spoke rather flatly, and someone from another town who roots for another team might have taken his address about the future as, well, boring. But Harris is from Washington. He owns the Washington Commanders. And in Washington, where it concerns the local NFL franchise, he might as well have donned a top hat, twirled a cane in the air and jigged across the stage in Ashburn as he sang his answers. The tune is just that different.

Monday was about moving on from Ron Rivera as coach and chief football decision-maker, because that was a silly setup from day one. But much more than that, Monday was about Harris further distancing himself — in style, substance, word and deed — from his predecessor, he who shall not be named (yet). Before Harris makes the hires that will determine whether his group is a success with the Commanders, jump for joy at that. It’s encouraged and allowed.

Where to start? How about this, by way of the hiring process that will lead to a revamped organizational structure:

“My desire is to have the head of football operations in place and then to listen very hard to what that person wants to do in terms of the coaching staff,” Harris said Monday at the Commanders’ Ashburn headquarters. “In other words, I think those two things have to work together.

“And obviously, as I’ve said before, I want to get the best talent here and then hold them accountable and work with them, right? So what that person wants to do or not do is really important in our decision process. Doesn’t mean that you are not involved in it, but it means that to a large extent you’re relying on that person to bring a series of candidates to the table.”<<

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. Cool thing about interviewing him is you can pick his mind about the Caleb/Maye comparison and get an idea of where Chicago is looking to go. 4D chess. Hire him or not it was a smart move to interview the guy. And it appears he flashed. Because he made the final two. 

I mean hes been linked to the job for months but yeah its a nice bonus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Hmm looks like a who's who of offensive playcallers, wait a minute what the .............

Screenshot_20240111_183510_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.4c8ba7502a04672aae37055cc20ef358.jpg

giphy(10).gif.df032436a0528c584b65c191964d2096.gif

There is no way to actually quantify this as a metric.  This is the type of thing PFF does in the off season and I crush.  Doesn’t matter the results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no way to actually quantify this as a metric.  This is the type of thing PFF does in the off season and I crush.  Doesn’t matter the results.

And I also didn't see the "with team constraints" part.

That buys him some curve.

Edited by redskinss

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You could also ask him why in the world he gave up a high #2 pick for Sweat.

Just now, SonnySideUp said:

Sweat balled out for them. So I dont think that really needs to be asked?

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean hes been linked to the job for months but yeah its a nice bonus.

Tons of people have been "linked" to this franchise for months. Apparently he actually excelled in his interview. Because he is still alive for the job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

Well considering Sweat crushed it for Chicago, made the Pro Bowl, turned around their defense, AND signed an extension, yeah Id say he won that one.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Sweat balled out for them. So I dont think that really needs to be asked?

Tons of people have been "linked" to this franchise for months. Apparently he actually excelled in his interview. Because he is still alive for the job.

Sweat was a FA after this year. They had to give him the BAG and give us a 2nd rounder that was 35th at the time (and fell to 40th). As good as he is, that's a crazy move for a team that is and was contending for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Sweat was a FA after this year. They had to give him the BAG and give us a 2nd rounder that was 35th at the time (and fell to 40th). As good as he is, that's a crazy move for a team that is and was contending for nothing. 

They targeted a first round talent. Who made the Pro Bowl for them and was the first player in history to lead two teams in sacks in a single season. Got him and locked him up on a long term deal for a mid 2nd rounder. No one is going to convince me that they made a bad move there. I screamed for months to trade him. It was a win for both teams. We were not putting another 100M into the defensive line. Trading Sweat might be the best personnel move Ron ever made. And Chicago was damn smart to take that player. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well considering Sweat crushed it for Chicago, made the Pro Bowl, turned around their defense, AND signed an extension, yeah Id say he won that one.

I think people overrate things a bit. The defense was good to begin with, Sweat made it better, for sure, but people consistently ignore the fact that the Bears second half schedule pretty much guaranteed a turn around in that half of the season that is why in this forum, after the trade, I warned pretty much everyone that it was highly unlikely that pick would ever be 35th. The second half schedule featured zero likely playoff teams other than Detroit, who the Bears played well. The browns and Packers would inexplicably grab late season playoff spots behind Flacco and Love, but all in all, look at the opponents, not a good, complete team in the bunch. Just crappers like the Saints, Vikes w/o Cousins, Panthers, Browns, Cardinals, Falcons, Green Bay, and a pair of matches with Detroit where they were the better team in both games.

@ New Orleans (Loss)

Hosting Carolina (Win)

@ Detroit (close, but a loss after choking away big late 4th quarter lead)

@ Minnesota (Win)

Hosting Detroit (Win, revenge blowout)

@ Cleveland (Lost by a field goal)

Hosting Arizona (win)

Hosting Atlanta (Win)

@ Green Bay (Loss)

In fairness, though, the entire schedule was pretty much ridiculous. They were really fortunate this year. I have harped on how easier their schedule was down the stretch which is why I had such a difficult time deciding whether I wanted them to win (to improve our chances of passing them at the top of the draft) or lose (to improve the slotting of the 2nd rounder they were giving us. The one thing I never bothered to notice, post trade, was that the truth was, they didn't really play anyone at all, all year. Just Detroit twice, and KC, decided to look them up, they finished with the 29th hardest schedule this year. Absurdly weak schedule. Only the Falcons and Saints had easier schedules, with the panthers tied with them at 3rd weakest.