Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The longer it takes the more of a concern.  Keim even said they wanted somone in place as VP/Pres of FB OPS this week.

If your Peter's your listening to all offers, not settling on the very first is understandable. There may be multiple back and forth, multiple interviews, may take a little longer than we would like. Then again he could be immediately wowed. I don't think it's cause for alarm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

A Peters Cunningham duo would be a dream come true

It would, but I don’t believe the Bears are required to let Cunningham leave just because he gets a GM title…he’d have to actually be the #1 FO guy in the org here. And that would be Peters if there’s a “Head of Football Ops” position above the GM. 

So the Bears would have to be willing to let Cunningham go just because that’s what he wants—which, to be fair, does happen quite frequently because organizations don’t always love to hold people hostage who would rather be elsewhere. Creates resentment. 

But the point remains, the Bears don’t have to let Cunningham leave to be a GM if a guy like Peters would be his boss. The magic isn’t in the “GM” title, it’s in being the #1 executive. 

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Grant & Danny ranking jobs.

I agree with them.

1.  Chargers 

2.  Us

I don't see the Chargers being #1. Their owner is garbage and has been for a couple decades. They have no fans, they play 17 road games a year. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

If your Peter's your listening to all offers, not settling on the very first is understandable. There may be multiple back and forth, multiple interviews, may take a little longer than we would like. Then again he could be immediately wowed. I don't think it's cause for alarm.

I kind of think that goes both ways.  Washington is a desirable job... Both should be doing due diligence and looking at all options.  That takes a few days.  If its meant to be and a fit then great.  Peters is who Im hoping for.

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I honestly think that there is a solid chance that we don’t announce Peters until we have also settled on a GM and that we announce them as a unit. I think that might make the GM candidate search easier and would seem in line with a well functioning front office.

I don’t think we know that there will be a President and GM both hired.  In fact, I doubt that happens.  I think it’s just going to be the one guy.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

I don't see the Chargers being #1. Their owner is garbage and has been for a couple decades. They have no fans, they play 17 road games a year. 

agree.  Its the QB which aren't easy to find.  But in the long run if a GM has confidence in their abilities and/or really like Williams and Maye then Washington has to be at the top.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I kind of think that goes both ways.  Washington is a desirable job... Both should be doing due diligence and looking at all options.  That takes a few days.  If its meant to be and a fit then great.  Peters is who Im hoping for.

He probably also has an alegence to SF and will run things by them also in good faith. Perhaps they will come up with something that makes him want to stay. Lot of variables at play.

Edited by Chris 44

22 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Chargers don't have any cap space, Herbert's cap hit is about to balloon in 2025 because of his big extension, and dollars to donuts Josh Harris will pay more $$$ for his HC than Dean Spanos.

Plus take a look at the state tax rates between CA and VA. Just saying. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

We get that.  I am just saying.  It's a game of chess between both Harris and his advisors, Myers and Spielman and Peter's agent.  :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

My current coaching carousel predictions:

Seattle: Dan Quinn

New England: Vrabel

LA Chargers: Harbaugh

Atlanta: Belichick

Washington: Ben Johnson

Las Vegas: ???

Tennessee: ???

Carolina: ???

Would think Slowik, MacDonald, Frank Smith, and a few others round out the rest of the hires.

I think this is a good list, but Billy is still in New England as of now.  I really think he stays put. I'm going to go under the assumption he stays put, but we'll see. 

Here's my best guess:

Seattle: Dan Quinn - It just makes too much sense not to happen.  He was there for the SB runs and the legion of boom, and has ties to the organization, knows John Schneider, etc.  This seems like a no-brainer unless he doesn't want another HC opportunity.  

LA Chargers: Jim Harbaugh -  Where there's smoke, there's fire.  He'd probably get close to full control and he goes into a situation with a QB.  This makes sense for both sides. Though, there is a wildcard I'll get to in a minute...  

Washington: Ben Johnson.  I think he runs the ball too much, which is exceptionally on brand for me.  But he's probably the best of the candidates out there, he's an offensive guy, and it would make @Skinsinparadise happy.  I think we're tied with Seattle as the best job now, and if Quinn goes to Seattle, this is the best job, and that's going to be appealing to Ben, and Harris will get his guy. 

Atlanta: Vrabel - However, if I were him, I wouldn't take the job.  Atlanta is an exact copy of Tennessee: Good defense, good skill position players, built to run the ball, no QB.  And no good way to get a QB immediately. However, I think he'd immediately elevate Atlanta.  One unknown: Art Smith was his OC before he took the Atlanta job.  Does Art tell Vrabel to stay away?  Does Vrabel think Art is an idiot?  Who's to know.  

Las Vegas - Antonio Pierce.  I think Mark Davis is a fool with a bad haircut.  But he had an interim coach a couple years ago who the players loved and they got to the playoffs, and he let him walk in favor of McDaniels, which was stupid on steroids.  Well, now he's got another interim coach the players love, turned around the season and played well down the stretch.  Just hire he guy and don't make the same mistake twice.  I think that's what they do.  ** IF Bill B. becomes available, this might be a landing spot.

Tennessee - Bobby Slowik.  They've got a young QB and Slowik is an offensive guy who had good success with a young QB.  

Carolina - I think Tepper is going to go full Dan Snyder and throw more money at somebody than can reasonably be expected.  If Bill B. becomes available, that's who I think he's going to go after.  If Bill stays put, I think he's going to make a huge push for Harbaugh. This is my wildcard.  I think Tepper offers Harbaugh $20m/year to have full control.  And Harbaugh will take it.  This could derail the Harbaugh to Chargers thing.  If he can't buy his way to a top candidate, he's going to be looking at second tier candidates. The leading second tier candidate if Tepper flames out with all the leading candidates might be EB.  Which would be a disaster, but EB would take the job if offered.  

A name which hasn't come up and I find somewhat surprising is Frank Reich.  He did well in Indy for a period of time, even make it kidnof work with Wentz for a season.  He barely got a shot in Carolina, and they're a dysfunctional mess.  I'm surprised somebody isn't kicking the tires on Reich. 

If we end up with a defensive head coach, I'd STRONGLY look at him as an OC.

Thinking about it, that might be what the Bears are thinking: maybe they cleared out the entire offensive staff to go after Reich and let him hire his staff.  Eberflus was on Reich's staff in Indy before he took the Chicago job.  Damn, that might be the dot which I hadn't connected earlier.  Book it: Reich to Chicago as OC if he doesn't get a HC job. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Grant & Danny ranking jobs.

I agree with them.

1.  Chargers 

2.  Us

3. Falcons

7.  LV

8.  Carolina

Its close for me at #1... we have #2 pick but Herbert is a bird in hand.  We are in much better shape with the cap.  They have some aging stars.  Not much of a fan base but have a nice stadium.

For HC, with Seattle opening up, I think it's a tie between us and Seattle at the top.

Ironically, the Chargers and the Falcons are mirrors of each other:

- The Chargers have a QB, some other pieces but they are getting old and they have no cap room (though that can be remedied to an extent.)

- The Falcons have good players all over the place, but they have no QB, and they're sitting at 8.  If they want one of the top 3 QBs, they probably have to get up to #1 to get one, because most likely we're taking a QB at #2 and the Patriots are taking a QB at #3 UNLESS the Patriots jump to #1, and then Atlanta might have to get to #3.  Regardless, that all is expensive.  They can get a second tier guy, but they just tried that with Ridder and it failed rather spectacularly.  

For a HC, either you want to have a QB or you want to be able to get a QB.  

Of the openings:

- Carolina: Has Young who they picked #1 overall last year, so "fix the Young kid" is the job of the new HC.  Have a QB

- Washington: Has the #2 overall pick and can get a QB

- Atlanta: Do not have a QB, 8th overall pick

- Las Vegas: Do not have a QB (though Jimmy G. is still there and it's going to be expensive to cut him, so they might at least have a stop gap if he's healthy.)

- Seattle: Have Geno and Locke.  Is that good enough?  No.  Picking 16th.  Not in a dire situation, but not great either.  They got fooled into giving Geno an extension they shouldn't have.

- LA Chargers: Herbert.

- Tenn: Will Levis who looked ok at times, so something to build on. 

I think from a QB perspective, Atlanta is in the worst position.  Followed by Vegas.  Seattle and Tennessee have workable solutions, Carolina is in year 2 of the #1 overall pick, and Washington has the #2 overall pick.  Chargers have Herbert.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For HC, with Seattle opening up, I think it's a tie between us and Seattle at the top.

Ironically, the Chargers and the Falcons are mirrors of each other:

- The Chargers have a QB, some other pieces but they are getting old and they have no cap room (though that can be remedied to an extent.)

- The Falcons have good players all over the place, but they have no QB, and they're sitting at 8.  If they want one of the top 3 QBs, they probably have to get up to #1 to get one, because most likely we're taking a QB at #2 and the Patriots are taking a QB at #3 UNLESS the Patriots jump to #1, and then Atlanta might have to get to #3.  Regardless, that all is expensive.  They can get a second tier guy, but they just tried that with Ridder and it failed rather spectacularly.  

For a HC, either you want to have a QB or you want to be able to get a QB.  

Of the openings:

- Carolina: Has Young who they picked #1 overall last year, so "fix the Young kid" is the job of the new HC.  Have a QB

- Washington: Has the #2 overall pick and can get a QB

- Atlanta: Do not have a QB, 8th overall pick

- Las Vegas: Do not have a QB (though Jimmy G. is still there and it's going to be expensive to cut him, so they might at least have a stop gap if he's healthy.)

- Seattle: Have Geno and Locke.  Is that good enough?  No.  Picking 16th.  Not in a dire situation, but not great either.  They got fooled into giving Geno an extension they shouldn't have.

- LA Chargers: Herbert.

- Tenn: Will Levis who looked ok at times, so something to build on. 

I think from a QB perspective, Atlanta is in the worst position.  Followed by Vegas.  Seattle and Tennessee have workable solutions, Carolina is in year 2 of the #1 overall pick, and Washington has the #2 overall pick.  Chargers have Herbert.  

I don't think the Atlanta QB situation is that bad since they can trade for Fields or try to sign Cousins. They have great skill players on the offensive side of the ball, so it's a good situation to drop a new QB into.

From Andrew Livingston (@AndrewLiv): Would you consider Adam Peters the front runner for the WSH President job? Makes more sense they kept Mayhew if that is the target.

Andrew, I like Peters or Chiefs assistant GM Mike Borgonzi for the job. And yes it’d seem that Peters getting the job would give Martin Mayhew a shot to stay in the GM role, which would change a bit in the new structure (though he didn’t have final say there, either).

2 minutes ago, GoSkins1976 said:

I wonder if Saban would have interest now that he has retired from Alabama

My first thought was would one of the NFL hot candidates pursue that.  Doesn't usually flow that direction, but bama is bama.  And the cupboard isn't bare at bama, for now anyway.

Since I typed that last sentence, 83 bama players have entered the portal.

• Haha 2