Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Interviewing EB should be a no brainer.  Not for hiring purposes, but an opportunity to get a raw assessment of the talent we have among other things.  Harris is thorough and meticulous.  

Exit interview then...

Don't interview him for a job you don't want to give him.

TBH, I’m not very impressed with the Chiefs’ current roster outside of Mahomes, Kelce and Jones. 

They had a much more impressive roster several years ago. But I suppose that’s what happens when you have to begin paying your superstars and are consistently picking at the end of each round in the draft. That’s eventually what led to the downfall of the Seahawks as well. 

I wonder how much influence Borgonzi has in that organization when it comes to roster building, and how much it’s grown (or shrunk) over time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

This role keeps being referred to as "Head of Football Ops". Is that the GM? Does the title mean anything in this context?

The reporting structure and authority of various positions is going to be interesting, and really really important.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, kfrankie said:

Actually looks like Harris said he would consider EB.
 https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/01/commanders-request-interview-with-mike-macdonald-team-to-consider-eric-bieniemy-for-hc-position

Of course, the interview will serve to satisfy the Rooney rule in case Harris wants to go after another coach quickly. No one is ever going to hire EB as an HC after this one.  Guilt by association.

I believe this is more a courtisy. Harris seems very aware of appearances and wants to do things the right way. So why not interview EB. May at least get some additional insight to last years disaster. 

I do not think it satisfies the Rooney rule. But they can do that easily, which is a shame because the Rooney rule is doing nothing to achieve it's goals but tht is a different conversation. 

I like the process so far. He was of course ready and he has a plan and vision in place. Ancious to see how it goes ubt really happy we have something new to look forward to. Maybe some actual hope. 

• Thanks 1

In case you forgot while watching last year’s Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City ended the 2020 season with their offensive line in shambles. Tackles Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz were unavailable for the Super Bowl due to injury, and Kansas City’s offense was dominated by Tampa Bay’s nightmarish front seven. As a result, general manager Brett Veach, Borgonzi, and the Chiefs’ front office went to work on rebuilding Kansas City’s offensive line from scratch. While trading for tackle Orlando Brown and signing Joe Thuney in free agency brought veteran stability up front, the Chiefs hit an absolute grand slam with Humphrey and Smith.

Let’s not forget that even before Mahomes’ arrival in 2017, the Chiefs were widely regarded as a top-notch organization after winning 10-plus games in four of five seasons from 2013-17. Borgonzi reportedly played a huge part in steering the Chiefs to the following players:

Putting aside Borgonzi’s ability to consistently find diamonds in the rough throughout NFL drafts, he understands how to build winning teams that have an unspoken preference towards prioritizing the offensive side of the ball. That’s what happens when Andy Reid is your organization’s head coach.

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-vikings-news/is-mike-borgonzi-ready-to-lead-a-front-office/

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I believe this is more a courtisy. Harris seems very aware of appearances and wants to do things the right way. So why not interview EB. May at least get some additional insight to last years disaster. 

I do not think it satisfies the Rooney rule. But they can do that easily, which is a shame because the Rooney rule is doing nothing to achieve it's goals but tht is a different conversation. 

I like the process so far. He was of course ready and he has a plan and vision in place. Ancious to see how it goes ubt really happy we have something new to look forward to. Maybe some actual hope. 

Yeah that's how it came off to me.  I think you almost have to give him an interview.  He came here from KC in part to lobby for a HC job here or elsewhere.  If they didn't even interview him it would be a slap in the face and make him look bad to the rest of the NFL.

But Harris comes off so vague and noncommittal that it feels like he has no chance here.  Keim doesn't think he's a serious candidate here.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not a Quinn guy but wouldn't hate it

I wouldn’t hate it if we had a super talented defensive roster… but we don’t, and it would take more draft capital than I’d want to spend in order to get one quickly. 

Quinn as HC of the Falcons showed us what his defenses look like without having Pro Bowlers at every level.  

And for a variety of reasons, I also think it’s a mistake to draft your potential franchise QB and pair him with a defense-focused HC, but I know others disagree or don’t think it’s a big deal. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This role keeps being referred to as "Head of Football Ops". Is that the GM? Does the title mean anything in this context?

The reporting structure and authority of various positions is going to be interesting, and really really important.

Yes, it’s the GM. I don’t know exactly why, but the speculation I’ve heard is that San Fran was planning to promote Peters to GM and so Josh is using the ‘head of operations’ title to make sure it appears as a promotion for Peters. Otherwise it’s a lateral move where they could have been denied permission to interview him.

• Like 2

Some thought Ben Johnson would want LA because of Herbert.  So I am glad to take them out of the hunt hopefully.

Tepper supposedly wants Johnson bad.  I know some say no way he goes there.  But he's from that state.  And Tepper could just blow him away with a money offer and or power.  So I don't rule them out as suitors.

As to Quinn, he's clearly a great defensive coach.  And I've heard a good motivator, too.  I've heard several times that Dallas doesn't want to lose him and might even fire McCarthy to keep him.  He's sort of been to them what Gregg Williams was to use years back.

But I'd rather have someone on offense not defense.  And rather the first act not a 2nd act. 

• Like 7

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Some thought Ben Johnson would want LA because of Herbert.  So I am glad to take them out of the hunt hopefully.

Tepper supposedly wants Johnson bad.  I know some say no way he goes there.  But he's from that state.  And Tepper could just blow him away with a money offer and or power.  So I don't rule them out as suitors.

As to Quinn, he's clearly a great defensive coach.  And I've heard a good motivator, too.  I've heard several times that Dallas doesn't want to lose him and might even fire McCarthy to keep him.  He's sort of been to them what Gregg Williams was to use years back.

But I'd rather have someone on offense not defense.  And rather the first act not a 2nd act. 

I believe if the Chargers hire Harbaugh, that will leave us as easily the most attractive head coach opening available. So I think you will get your wish of Ben Johnson. I would be happy about that as well.

• Like 3

Maybe it's been said already, but what I find the most refreshing of the last 24 hours is the QUANTITY of all the really great candidates that have been confirmed to be coming in for interviews. 

This is VERY different than the dark ages for us. 

In the past, the moment the name leaked, you pretty much knew that would be our guy, because it was the ONLY option Little Napoleon even had. 

Man, the man crush on Josh Harris is massive right now. Good times on deck. 

Hail. 

P.S.  Let's get the name change done, Joshy. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Along these lines I heard this on the way into work today listening to Mike Florio on Pro Football Talk: "I have a source who I trust very much that tells me Josh Harris is enamored with the idea of having Bill Bellicheck as his head coach".

I know one of our beat reporters very matter of factly shut this talk down but Florio disagrees based on his source.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Along these lines I heard this on the way into work today listening to Mike Florio on Pro Football Talk: "I have a source who I trust very much that tells me Josh Harris is enamored with the idea of having Bill Bellicheck as his head coach".

I know one of our beat reporters very matter of factly shut this talk down but Florio disagrees based on his source.

Florio is an idiot who has no idea whats he's talking about. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Josh should release the rest of coaches from their contracts. The new head coach won’t want any of these guys. So let them go, so they can find a job elsewhere.

The new HC will want to have a very detailed interview regarding players, play calls, etc.  The coaches on staff are getting paid so they are obligated to pass on their information.

I haven't heard Andy Weidl's name connected to any opening, I'm hoping they bring him in too.  Including him with those names would make me feel confident that even if they're first or second choice doesn't come here, we would still land a great GM.  But still a great group as is.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

TBH, I’m not very impressed with the Chiefs’ current roster outside of Mahomes, Kelce and Jones. 

They had a much more impressive roster several years ago. But I suppose that’s what happens when you have to begin paying your superstars and are consistently picking at the end of each round in the draft. That’s eventually what led to the downfall of the Seahawks as well. 

I wonder how much influence Borgonzi has in that organization when it comes to roster building, and how much it’s grown (or shrunk) over time. 

I am sure they miss T.Hill, Kelce fell in love with something else besides football. Hard to replace the best.  Good D, Young TE's need upgrade at WR and RB. But with Mahomes and Reid your still a winner and they have rings.

26 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Keim has shot this down on multiple occasions.