Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I'll take Bill here. 

In a heartbeat. 

There's enough talent to work with here, and we know he'll have most of his preferred coordinators and position coaches available.

If they get a GM who can draft better, they have enough for Bill to get them to the SB in a year or two. 

Let's not kid ourselves: Bill with a top QB is a shoe-in for a deep playoff run, and the numbers are saying that Sam is one of them.

14 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I'll take Bill here. 

In a heartbeat. 

There's enough talent to work with here, and we know he'll have most of his preferred coordinators and position coaches available.

If they get a GM who can draft better, they have enough for Bill to get them to the SB in a year or two. 

Let's not kid ourselves: Bill with a top QB is a shoe-in for a deep playoff run, and the numbers are saying that Sam is one of them.

Hard pass for me. We can do much better.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

It's pretty clear that without a Tom Brady, truly once in a generation talent and steal (6th round pick), Bill Belichick would be stuck in mediocrity.  After Brady left, he has not been able to put a team together that can rival even his worst Brady-led Patriots team.  And he sucks at talent evaluation and drafting.  No thanks.  I don't think he'd take a job where he has to answer to a GM anyways.

• Like 1

I hate Bellichek. That said I would take him over Ron, but do not want to part with a draft pick to bring him here. All signs point to him being a has been. I would like him as a DC. Maybe. We are THE prime team with a slam dunk coaching vacany. All the talk has to be us.

I wouldn't mind Belichik as a team president to help Harris search for a GM and a coach. At this point in life I think he's more suited to that role.

If he does coach here, at least he would likely bring Josh McDaniels as OC. McDaniels is like Norvo the Clown - a terrible HC, but an excellent OC. He made even Mac Jones look good, and he sux.

21 hours ago, Panninho said:

Meet the Eagles' analytics whiz who keeps pushing forward

Eagles assistant GM Alec Halaby has come a long way in the NFL but continues to lead the Eagles' charge in analytics.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/meet-the-eagles-analytics-whiz-who-keeps-pushing-forward/535122/

We've talked about him on other threads over the years.  In theory, he wouldn't be my top want.   But he'd be in the mix.  As much as i like anayltics, I am a little hesitant for the guy in charge majoring in anayltics and not scouting.  I recalled one article about how he'd be an unconventional choice because usually the anayltics guys isn't in charge but instead a complement to the GM.  If he were in charge I believe he'd be the first anayltics guy as the actual GM?  I wouldn't oppose it, but it feels a bit of a roll of the dice.  But I wouldn't be opposed to it either.  

Granted Roseman didn't major in scouting but runs that team.  So did Bruce Allen though and he sucked.  I guess for me depends on how he'd interview.  And alas we wouldn't be privy to that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

Now, Teasley has a role in evaluating players out of college eligibility. He monitors NFL transactions, "street free agents" and players available elsewhere, such as the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League. During the season, in addition to those duties, he works as an advance scout, watching the Seahawks' upcoming opponents and reporting back to Seattle's director of pro personnel Trent Kirchner, assistant director of pro personnel Dan Morgan and general manager John Schneider.

In fact, Teasley and another scout, were in Green Bay for Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game, providing a one-week-out report.

"We give a preliminary view on the team. Not a ton of Xs and Os because we work on personnel," he said, declining to get into too many specifics. "It's just a piece of the pie, but it's fun to be a part of the whole operation."

Teasley said he has no innate talent for evaluating players. Instead, he's tried to combine his passion for and knowledge of football with hard work and a desire to keep learning.

"I'm still learning. That's the attitude I try to take to work every day," he said. "I try to learn something new each day so I can add that to my repertoire. The more players you watch and evaluate, the more that knowledge will help you down the road.

"You don't try to outsmart the process but you try to outwork it and be ready when you're in those situations (to evaluate a player)."

Working with some of the NFL's best talent evaluators doesn't hurt either, Teasley said.

"I try to learn from these guys, who I think are the best in the business," he said. "The track record of the scouting department speaks for itself. It's such a collaborative effort. The more you're around it, the more you realize all the work that goes into (their efforts). It's an easy environment to work around."

Going from his humble Seahawk beginnings to a trip to last year's Super Bowl to his current position has come much quicker than Teasley envisioned when, with the full support of his wife Morgan, he walked away from a successful career and into this great unknown. But also he never doubted arriving at this place some day.

"I wanted to do something for a living that I have pride in and have a passion for day in and day out," he said. "Waiting for this opportunity has made me appreciate it even more."

Now, Teasley can't envision doing anything else.

"Every day is something different and also something better. I enjoy it from top to bottom," he said. "It's been a fun ride but it's far from over."

https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/professional_sports/seahawks/love-of-the-game-leads-teasley-to-seahawks/article_2e477755-3f6e-5c54-8aca-aa21581247cf.html

• Thanks 1

I’m just excited about the potential structure of the organization. If you look around the league, there is no template, and there are many ways to do it. If I was Harris, I would want the structure to look something like this:

I would want one voice that I directly tie to the success of the franchise. (Actual titles can be workshopped)

Team President. (Not how the title is currently used)

Direct reports to team president (4) General Manager, Head Coach, VP of Analytics (Shen), VP of Business Operations (currently Jason Wright)

For some teams, the role that I call team president is called GM elsewhere. I add the layer because I want to take off field responsibilities off their plate.

The GM would be responsible for all player acquisition, scouting, and player wellness (trainers, doctors, dietitians, equipment, etc). Reporting to this person would be your director of college scouting, pro scouting, salary cap, and I’d have a full time position of draft director - this could be second in command to the director of college scouting or vice versa. The GM will be in charge of the roster, but the team president would settle any conflict between the HC and GM.

VP of analytics (Shen) - this role will have an internal consulting scope. They would oversee many short and long term projects which will impact all aspects of the organization from in game decisions to the draft to advance scouting to player wellness to promotions.

VP of Business Operations - ticket sales, communications, HR, legal, sponsors, stadium experience, alumni relations, etc.

This is interesting.  Seems like Peters is a guy likely to be on a lot of teams short list.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-general-manager-replacement-candidate-expert-hire-new

NFL Expert Suggests New England Patriots Hire New General Manager

If and when the New England Patriots move on from Bill Belichick, they will likely also have to find a new general manager.

With each loss, it seems to be more about when, not if, the New England Patriots decide to move on from coach and de facto general manager Bill Belichick. A recent report suggests that the ending of a 24-year relationship could come as soon as Monday if the Patriots fall to 2-8 on the season with a loss to the Indianapolis Colts in Germany on Sunday.

However, whether team owner Robert Kraft decides to move on soon or wait until the season's end, it seems increasingly likely that the Patriots will not only be looking for a coach but also a general manager. That is if Kraft decides against giving his next coach the same say in player personnel that he gave Belichick in 2000.

With names like Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel and Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo already being floated as candidates to replace Belichick on the sidelines, there are still questions about who'd fill his void behind the scenes. That is until ESPN's Mike Reiss floated a name in a recent interview.

"I'll just throw this name out ... There's a guy in San Francisco, right? That's a good program. His name is Adam Peters," Reiss said during an interview on 98.5 The Sports Hub's Zolak & Bertrand Show. "He actually came up through here [in New England]. Do you talk to someone like that and say, 'Hey, if we were to build this thing in your vision, who do you envision yourself -- who would you bring with you to be your head coach?'"

Peters, as Reiss notes, spent the first six years of his career in New England (2003-08), working within the scouting department, before moving to the Denver Broncos in 2009, per his biography on the 49ers' team website.

In Denver, Peters worked up the ranks from being a regional scout to being named the director of college scouting. Then, with the Niners, Peters started as the vice president of player personnel, a title he held for four seasons before being promoted to assistant general manager, working directly with John Lynch.

If the Patriots don't want their next coach holding both positions like Belichick has, it will be the first time the franchise has hired someone with the official title of general manager since 1983, when they gave Pat Sullivan the job. 

Peters would bring the obvious advantage of having first-hand experience working within the Patriots organization and seeing up close how the dynasty was built. However, for those who are wary of sticking to the same formula that has gotten the Patriots to this point, Peters also has experience elsewhere.

Bill Belichick is the best executive in North American pro sports of the last 30 years.

But it's highly unlikely Harris would bring him in to replace RR. Belichick would want total control of player acquisition, cap, draft and gameday. That's not Harris' MO. He wants to hire a GM first, and have the GM hire the coach, just like with the Philly 76ers and the NJ Devils. Not to mention the Pittsburgh Steelers, who he had a piece of for 3 years. Harris is familiar how a good NFL organization works, having seen it firsthand.

In passing, Belichick's drafting and free agent signings have been pretty bad the last 5 years...which is the biggest reason why the team stinks now.

But even if by some miracle they did come to a power sharing agreement of sorts with Belichick reporting to a GM, I would still hard pass on bringing him here:

• He's 71. How many years does he have left?
  • What is his motivation? The Shula record? Or going through growing pains in order to win a championship?
  • Is he fully bought into a data-driven analytical approach? Harris will require this.
  • He works alone, and makes all of the calls on the game plan autocratically. This means that he wouldn't likely be able to attract good coaches to come here at the coordinator and positional roles. Would a young, talented offensive or defensive coordinator want to come over just to take order from Bill? Outside of Mayo, he has a bunch of ex-players, retreads and his 2 sons working for him in NE now. No real up & commers. Incidentally, the autocratic working style is why none of the assistants who have worked for him have ever panned out (Mangini, O'Brien, McDaniels, Patricia, Judge). All they knew was to take orders from Bill. They weren't prepared to actually be head coaches.

Great article here about it (paywall): https://theathletic.com/5041895/2023/11/09/bill-belichick-patriots-coaching-tree/

Hiring him would be a bad mistake. Hope he ends up in Dallas.

Edited by Stoox
  • Like 2

From PedroSchmith (@PedroSchmithYT): Hottest GM candidates, and any you could say Washington is going after?

Pedro, if I had a ready list, there are a number of assistant GMs who’d be on it: Kansas City’s Mike Borgonzi, Cleveland’s Glenn Cook and Catherine Raiche, Indianapolis’s Ed Dodds, San Francisco’s Adam Peters and Tampa Bay’s John Spytek, in no particular order. Chicago’s Ian Cunningham and Carolina’s Dan Morgan, in my opinion, will be really good GMs, too, despite both teams not doing very well.

That said, if Commanders owner Josh Harris is hellbent on leaning into analytics, I think a couple of guys who recently ascended into assistant GM roles would at least be interesting. One is Tennessee’s Chad Brinker, who worked in pro personnel, college scouting, cap management and analytics in Green Bay. He pivoted to work under czar Russ Ball while getting his MBA at Northwestern, then working in a role tying together the team’s cap, analytics and scouting operations. Another is Philly’s Alec Halaby, who’d be more of a pure analytics hire for the Commanders.

And, remember, this isn’t over for the current group. It will take a lot for coach Ron Rivera, GM Martin Mayhew and VP for player personnel Marty Hurney to hang on, but the Commanders are still playing hard, and they’ve got a young quarterback (Sam Howell) who’s playing really well right now.

• Thanks 1