Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 7 - The Commanders @ The Giants

zCommander

Two mediocre teams.  Danny always plays well against us as do the Giants in general.  Barkley is back and looked healthy.  We have Ron at the helm.

Giants got their "moral victory" last night.  They will use it as motivation instead of whatever it was we did after the Eagles game.

Skins 24

Giants 27

Edited by Idaho fan

Wow so negative in here! We just won a game where we were up by two touchdowns against a team with a winning record ON THE ROAD.

If we don’t let up on the gas that probably would have been a full on blowout, but it seems we always play scared when we get the lead.

Speaking of, it seems like it’s too much of a coincidence that EB goes so conservative coming from KC. Is it possible that Ron is telling him to go conservative/run out the clock? He definitely didn’t learn that from Andy Reid. 

I think we win 28-20. 

Edited by WFT4Ever
  • Like 3

So I'm looking at the Giants offense. Their weapons are

Barkley - 207 yards rushing

Jones - 297 yards rushing

Waller - 282 yards receiving

Slayton - 236 yards receiving

Robinson - 141 yards receiving

Those are some guys who can beat us but I think our gameplan stays like it was against Philly, Chicago and Atlanta - stop the run and force Jones / Taylor to beat us with his arm. I think our corners (yes, even Forbes) can beat these guys.

The question is how will their defense be? I think their ranking is kinda flukey. When they've played good offenses (which I think we are when we need to put up points) they've surrendered yards and points. SF, Miami, Arizona. I think the Buffalo game is a special case because their coach knows them to a tee so knows their signals and all that. 

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm looking at the Giants offense. Their weapons are

Barkley - 207 yards rushing

Jones - 297 yards rushing

Waller - 282 yards receiving

Slayton - 236 yards receiving

Robinson - 141 yards receiving

Those are some guys who can beat us but I think our gameplan stays like it was against Philly, Chicago and Atlanta - stop the run and force Jones / Taylor to beat us with his arm. I think our corners (yes, even Forbes) can beat these guys.

The question is how will their defense be? I think their ranking is kinda flukey. When they've played good offenses (which I think we are when we need to put up points) they've surrendered yards and points. SF, Miami, Arizona. I think the Buffalo game is a special case because their coach knows them to a tee so knows their signals and all that. 

I also think Buffalo kind of expected to win without much of a fight.  Good teams can get away with that sometimes like Buffalo.  Other times they don't get away with it, like Philly this past weekend against the Zach Wilson lead Jets.  I think the Chicago game showed that we are not even close to be able to get away with going into a game expecting for the other team to go down without a fight.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

They always play us tough in the Daniel Jones era. No clue how we haven't T'd up on that offense yet. They gave up just 3 sacks vs Buffalo and didn't turn the ball over, the don't look like the team that got destroyed by Dallas and Seattle and they seem angry. Or it could have been a case of Daboll knowing Buffalo..

We really didn't put Atlanta away like we should have, we always talk about the D not being able to pin their ears back and get the QB because we usually play from behind. Well we were up 14, where was the sacks?  Where was the Chaos?? I know some people are chatting up Toohill but c'mon he had no business making that sack, Ridder should have thrown that ball away..

After playing Miami and Buffalo in back to back road games, seeing our offense is gonna feel like a vacation for them. 

GMen       17

Redwolves  13

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, WFT4Ever said:

Wow so negative in here! We just won a game where we were up by two touchdowns against a team with a winning record ON THE ROAD.

If we don’t let up on the gas that probably would have been a full on blowout, but it seems we always play scared when we get the lead.

Speaking of, it seems like it’s too much of a coincidence that EB goes so conservative coming from KC. Is it possible that Ron is telling him to go conservative/run out the clock? He definitely didn’t learn that from Andy Reid. 

I think we win 28-20. 

Helped ya out a little on that one.

Being the key word, that is. And it will be THAT word that will end up biting the team in the buttocks, being I see the defense giving up the go-ahead score with less than 30 seconds left in the game to seal the deal for NY. Its like playing Dallas; wins/losses don't really matter when they play each other. I distinctly remember a few years ago simply showing up would have guaranteed a victory, being the Giants had nothing to play for, and Wash. was more than slightly humbled when the game ended. The loss cost the team a playoff spot.

With that being said, TyRod Taylor will be running roughshod through a bewildered defense, with Chase Young blazing and whiffing on sacking the QB, and the Giants will get 3 pick offs

and 5 sacks as another embarrassing performance overall costs them the game.

Giants  27

Comms 16

• Sad 1

I just hope Howell has the arm strength to get the ball five yards down the field. I heard it’s like a limp mediocre noddle. Not even close to Al Dente

546 - 3 Giants win.

Howell lets a Giants WR get 5 billion yards on 2,000 catches and 20 tds. Howell, much to the anger of Ron Rivera, will not catch an interception this game. Howell won’t even be good enough to get one tackle on Barkley. 

Forbes could get an interception and tackle, but he won’t because he will probably be coming from the bench in case someone gets hurt. But, that’s good because if not a Giants WR would get 10 billion yards on 4,000 catches and 40 tds. 

Also, I predict that Tyrol Taylor runs down the side line and a gust of wind hits our sideline knocking Forbes down and injuring his coccyx. It will forever be a pain in his butt. Just like this football team has been to ours.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I think we're 6th now lol...

Fun note: I believe the Giants are dead last in sacks at 5 total sacks for the season. Less fun note: the Falcons also had a whopping 5 total sacks for the season, until they played us.

Kayvon Thibadeaux ( spelled wrong probably ) terrifies me. He is good vs the rest of the league but he's Lawrence Taylor 2.0 vs us 😥

• Like 2

15 hours ago, philibusters said:

I also think Buffalo kind of expected to win without much of a fight.  Good teams can get away with that sometimes like Buffalo.  Other times they don't get away with it, like Philly this past weekend against the Zach Wilson lead Jets.  I think the Chicago game showed that we are not even close to be able to get away with going into a game expecting for the other team to go down without a fight.

I don't think we expected to roll Chicago.  They were coming off a loss from the week before where their offense had exploded and they had momentum and were hungry.  I think we knew we were in for a battle, we just suck at short week prep because our coaching is not that good.  They had our schemes completely figured out and we made no adjustments.  It doesn't feel good to get schooled by Matt Eberflus and Luke Getsy, they don't exactly have the reputation of being Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh.  But every time we go up against smarter, more motivated coaching staffs, we get embarrassed.  Reminds me of when we played the Lions last season and the contrast in coaching quality was so palpable, and Amon-Ra St Brown admitted after the game that they could read our defense like a book and they knew with certainty when all of their big plays would hit.  At least with them it became clear later in that season that Campbell and Johnson were ascending stars in the profession.  I'd be surprised if Eberflus and Getsy are considered the same by the end of this year.

I thought the quality of our coaching would significantly change now that we have EB, and we definitely have gotten better on thay side of the ball.  But not enough.  And as a whole, our coaching is still below average.  Bieniemy isn't as good as I thought he'd be, and Del Rio and Rivera bring far too little to the table as coaches, such that we head into most weeks at a coaching disadvantage.

• Like 2

Time for us to get off the schneid against the Giants.  They're not as bad as their record, but their starting QB is injured, not just hurt.  His injury sounds like nerve damage in his neck/shoulder.  Tyrod Taylor was a mess, spraying the ball all over the field.  You could tell he doesn't really know their offense and had zero chemistry with the receivers.  They started working out Matt Barkley and Ian Book to find a better back up option.  Point being, they're not going to be getting good QB play next Sunday.  If Jones plays, then no way he can run all over us with a neck issue.  If it's Taylor, then he is going to put the ball in play for our D.  With a struggling OL and extremely limited quarterbacking, this should be a get right game for our defense.

The Giants D is playing well though.  It'll be tough to score on them, but we'll get some opportunities, just like we did against Atlanta.

• Like 3

I got to see the Giants injury list.  So I'll wait until Thursday.  The Giants FO >>> Washington FO.  They actually drafted and signed players who are making an impact.  The Giants coaching >>> Washington's coaching -- even Logan Paulsen who works for the team has admittted that.

But....

The Giants injuries are akin to the injuries this team used to have when Bruce-Dan were too cheap to spend money to take care of the grass field.  Whatever the Giants are doing with their turf isn't working. Last season they had a ton of injuries and that's happened again this year.

For me if Thomas, JMS, etc are still out, I'll pick this team.  If they play, I pick the Giants.

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Time for us to get off the schneid against the Giants.  They're not as bad as their record, but their starting QB is injured, not just hurt.  His injury sounds like nerve damage in his neck/shoulder.  Tyrod Taylor was a mess, spraying the ball all over the field.  You could tell he doesn't really know their offense and had zero chemistry with the receivers.  They started working out Matt Barkley and Ian Book to find a better back up option.  Point being, they're not going to be getting good QB play next Sunday.  If Jones plays, then no way he can run all over us with a neck issue.  If it's Taylor, then he is going to put the ball in play for our D.  With a struggling OL and extremely limited quarterbacking, this should be a get right game for our defense.

The Giants D is playing well though.  It'll be tough to score on them, but we'll get some opportunities, just like we did against Atlanta.

I watched that game.  I'll say for Taylor though he only got sacked twice.  He wasn't bad at escaping pressure.   If Andrew Thomas plays, who might be the best pass protector in the league sans Trent, they might keep him upright against our D.   If he's out, while I admire their oomph to try to fix a crap O line in talking Pugh out of retirement and he seemed to play OK enough, but even when he played preretirement, he was a guard not a tackle.  So I like the matchup if he's playing LT for them.

Dexter Lawrence is having an incredible season.    While Gettleman's era gets made of fun of ironically the four moves he gets the most fun of worked out arguably.  Dexter Lawrence is an incredible player.  Daniel Jones indeed was the best of the QBs in that draft as far as how it worked out.   Trading Beckham was smart.  And letting Collins go versus giving him a big contract was also smart.  It's ironically his other moves that did him in

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll say for Taylor though he only got sacked twice.  He wasn't bad at escaping pressure. 

He wasn't accurate after moving, and he's going to be on the move against us whether or not Thomas plays.  They also had basic execution issues with him operating their offense, like that failure to get points before the half.  Saquon is a brilliant player, but so is Bijan Robinson.  We should be able to run the same gameplan against them that we did against Atlanta, and there is not going to be any excuse for the defense to struggle against this offense.  They should dominate them.

Our offense isn't any good either, but we'll probably sustain a couple of solid drives.  And we're probably gonna get some turnovers and short fields to work with again.  This is an eminently winnable game for us.  We should win, but as poor a job as our coaches have done this year, I won't take any wins for granted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He wasn't accurate after moving, and he's going to be on the move against us whether or not Thomas plays.  They also had basic execution issues with him operating their offense, like that failure to get points before the half.  Saquon is a brilliant player, but so is Bijan Robinson.  We should be able to run the same gameplan against them that we did against Atlanta, and there is not going to be any excuse for the defense to struggle against this offense.  They should dominate them.

Our offense isn't any good either, but we'll probably sustain a couple of solid drives.  And we're probably gonna get some turnovers and short fields to work with again.  This is an eminently winnable game for us.  We should win, but as poor a job as our coaches have done this year, I won't take any wins for granted.

Agree Taylor isn't that hot, he sprays the ball, and his accuracy isn't that good.  

This team has struggiled to stop the run until last Sunday.  But agree they were good last game and need to repeat it.  Jamin has quietly had a good season.  Barton has had a bad season but played well last game.

Speaking of coaches, Logan Paulsen who is a borderline homer.  He works for the team and sometimes that shows.  But sometimes he's a bit ballsy with his takes regardless.  And one of his takes last year was this team was more talented than the Giants but the Giants coaches put a clinic on versus our coaches in both games.   Especially in game 2 where they changed their tendencies from their first matchup and had this coaching staff totally fooled.  I was a bit surprised when in a podcast Logan was asked this summer who are the best coaches in the division and he went with Daboll on offense and Martindale on defense.

My worry among other things is how to the two teams approach this game emotionally.  I never love this team emotionally after a win in Rivera's era especially when they are rare favorites coming in.  The Giants emotionally I think will be ready.  And as some players who have played for both teams over the years have said -- its part of the Giants culture to beat Washington. 

They take some pride in owning this rivalry even when the Giants have down years.  I recall years back a the Giants ESPN writer recited what went wrong that season but then also had a blurb about how the Giants players were more upset about losing to Washington than anything else that happened that season because they feel no matter what they do that season, they still always expect to beat Washington.

I got my share of family and friends who are Giants fans.  I've talked about it before.  I hate that team even more than the other division rivals.   Among the division rivals, that team disses this team the most and by a mile.  Year after year.  I recall Antre Rolle saying after they lost to Washington how its a fluke and they'd beat them 99 times out of 100.   I recall how juiced they were to beat this team in 2016 even thought they already qualified to make the playoffs.  Jay thought they'd rest their starters.  Didn't happen.  I said it on the game thread that week, reading the NY papers, they seem more juiced to knock this team out of the playoffs then this team seemed to be to get into the playoffs.  I can go on and on. 

So in short, I gather the Giants will expect to win.   And likely will have a better plan than we will to do it.   But without Thomas and JMS, if that happens, I think the talent might be too great for the Giants to overcome.

And lol, i don't get the number of people on the board over the years who seem to feel like the Giants are the kinder-gentler rival.  More hate for Philly-Dallas.  To me the Giants are the biggest by a mile jerks about this rivalry -- including their fans and the media who covers them.  I recall one year one of the Giants beat reporters just laughing (literally) on air when asked does he think Washington have a chance that game.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

This one being in New Jersey scares me.  Taylor and Jones are better than Ridder.  Both the Falcons and Giants have good defenses that can stop the run.  Whatever their sack total is for the year will be matched on Sunday.  

Giants - 20

Commies - 17