Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bea

KDawg

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Same for me, but it's more because I just don't really care as much as I used to. 

I turned the game off after they Logan Thomas fumble and played some PS5 then watched a show with my wife and couldn't have cared less about the game at that point.

In years past I'd be listening to whatever post game show I could and would still be pissed off about it today.

With Farquaad gone, I’ve returned to caring a little more. However, I’ve looked at this year as a transitional year from the beginning. We were never going anywhere with Del Taco running the defense and no offensive line. As Panninho said, I just hope we don’t do the usual RR thing by making a false hope run in the second half of the season to get near .500. I think RR’s gone regardless but we need the higher draft position.

• Like 1

...“I think some of it is just missed opportunities,” Rivera said of the Bears’ many explosive plays. “Sometimes it’s not about going after the ball as much as it is about securing the tackle.”

...Among the many other damning stats were the five sacks and 11 hits that Howell took. Although the quarterback assured he “feels good” and will “do whatever it takes to win,” his left tackle had concerns.

“I actually am worried, especially late in the game, when the game’s already out of hand,” Charles Leno Jr. said. “I feel like that shouldn’t happen. We should take a different route in that aspect.

...Forbes, who was torched by the Philadelphia Eagles in a frustrating 34-31 road loss Sunday, missed another tackle on Moore to allow a 32-yard gain just before the end of the quarter. That led to three more points for Chicago to make it 30-14, and soon the rookie was benched for Danny Johnson.

“The thought process was he was struggling,” Rivera said of benching Forbes. “We were hoping he would bounce back from last week and, you know, we felt it was time to make a move.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/05/commanders-crushed-by-bears/

This was the lowest of the lows. There really isn't any coming back from this given the situation. Magic Johnson has every right to bash this team and indirectly confirmed a cleaning of house this off-season. 

I'll admit when I'm wrong (Jamin Davis). But my God I hit the nail on the head with this last draft. I said I don't see any of those players in the league after their rookie deals. What the actual **** was that draft class?

• Thumb up 1

When your first round CB gets pushed backwards five yards on a semi-push off that every NFL WR does on almost every play that most CBs don’t even notice, you know you’ve made a huge mistake. That you passed on the consensus best CB in the draft, among other players, for that guy getting pushed backwards is just mind boggling.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I feel somewhat similar. But right now there is at least hope for me that it can turn around. We have a new owner, we have gotten rid of the most pathetic man running this team. So I am more interested in the process right now than I used to be because 2-3 years ago it was what it was and it would always stay that way because it has always been that way under Snyder. But now, there is at least the possibility that things will turn around at some point. This year was always a lame duck year, so I am pretty much only intrigued by watching Howell and watching the process unfold for the upcoming offseason.

I like our ownership group.  I love that Magic laid it out.  He's a national figure.  And him saying what he did made it clear to the world that this coaching staff is on notice.

I typically don't expect anyone to get fired without a warning.  I'd hazard a guess that they were evaluating and still are Rivera and this FO.  Them issuing a warning 5 games in to me is a big deal.

I know most of us (not all) wanted Ron gone after this season plays out.  Most of us expected this season to play out regardless,  and I still do.  But of course there is a bit of a mystery about whether Ron can talk Harris into letting him stay if they don't win this season.

It hasn't escaped me that Ron has telegraphed some of his arguments about why he should stay -- some variation of if Howell is the goods that alone is the reason and he also seems to want to explain to Harris what he's building towards.  He's alluded to that in different interviews.  Ron is a good talker.  Nice guy.  Easy to like.  So I've had some minor concerns that Ron can sweet talk Harris into giving him another year.  Magic's comments reassures me that I don't need to worry, Ron is on the hot seat.

• Like 2

I know it’s tough to swallow and easy to hate on given where this team is, but the fact of the matter is this is an entirely new offense, with practically a rookie QB, behind a porous offensive line.

When I envisioned positive outcomes for this season, it was based on the defense that’s primarily been together for years, in the same system, with the majority of resources providing an offense in its infancy with turnovers and short fields.

Obviously it’s been anything but that.  The offensive woes have reasonable excuses, the defense however is an absolute abomination and the primary reason this team is god awful.

I will also say, the picked up flag on Terry Mclaurin's PI call and the no intentional grounding call early in the game, were pretty huge in the grand scheme of things.  Those were game changing no calls that lead to a lot of Chicago points.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

When your first round CB gets pushed backwards five yards on a semi-push off that every NFL WR does on almost every play that most CBs don’t even notice, you know you’ve made a huge mistake. That you passed on the consensus best CB in the draft, among other players, for that guy getting pushed backwards is just mind boggling.

And to be so stubborn that you can't admit a mistake and keep sending him out there.  This is no disrespect to Forbes as a person, but at 160lb he should have been a late round draft pick.  

Looks like our home game attendance is going to end up a dead cat bounce.

I was gonna try to get tickets to the patriots game and one of the two games in New York because they're so close now i have absolutely no interest. 

Even if this team turns this season around its obvious this performance will be hiding just below the surface like a festering wound just waiting to pop up and kill us.

Last night I got so angry in the first quarter not because Justin Fields looked like Brady, but because of the piss poor effort of this team on both sides of the ball.  Their RB was literally carrying some of our LB's for yards. As far as I am concerned Riverboat needs to go down the river and get lost. But EB as HC?  Is he really the solution?  How did he only run the ball 10 times?  There seemed to be a formula of balance to our winning. I understand getting behind, but the nonstop, predictable throwing is not effective.  JDR is stuck on stupid. The predictability, never scheming up something different.  

But does anyone have any idea of who is available that they think would be a decent GM? How about a decent HC?  How about a decent DC?  People thought Sean Bounty or Bust Payton was going to clean up things in Denver but far from it.  I do not even pretend to know who should replace what we have, but they have to be young enough, innovative enough, recognize talent and not reach the way RR has. 

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I will also say, the picked up flag on Terry Mclaurin's PI call and the no intentional grounding call early in the game, were pretty huge in the grand scheme of things.  Those were game changing no calls that lead to a lot of Chicago points.

Add the hold on Chase they showed 30 times on one of the TD passes in the first half.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like our ownership group.  I love that Magic laid it out.  He's a national figure.  And him saying what he did made it clear to the world that this coaching staff is on notice.

I typically don't expect anyone to get fired without a warning.  I'd hazard a guess that they were evaluating and still are Rivera and this FO.  Them issuing a warning 5 games in to me is a big deal.

I know most of us (not all) wanted Ron gone after this season plays out.  Most of us expected this season to play out regardless,  and I still do.  But of course there is a bit of a mystery about whether Ron can talk Harris into letting him stay if they don't win this season.

It hasn't escaped me that Ron has telegraphed some of his arguments about why he should stay -- some variation of if Howell is the goods that alone is the reason and he also seems to want to explain to Harris what he's building towards.  He's alluded to that in different interviews.  Ron is a good talker.  Nice guy.  Easy to like.  So I've had some minor concerns that Ron can sweet talk Harris into giving him another year.  Magic's comments reassures me that I don't need to worry, Ron is on the hot seat.

I don't think Ron ever had a chance to stay HC beyond this season. I don't think Rivera is a coach that Harris would be interested in in any shape of form if he was available to hire. Harris e.g. wants to go strong on analytics, Ron's understanding of analytics led us to trade for Carson Wentz. Ron is as conservative as it gets by mondern standards, Harris to me strikes me as a guy who aims to be at the forefront of innovation. I am also pretty confident that Harris wants a strong/respectable GM, Ron wants to be GM himself while also coaching. I just don't see how their philosophies align at all.

While I thought it was generally remarkable for us to get Bieniemy, I did not necessarily like it in the overall pitcture. Because many assume that he is the designated HC for the post-Rivera era but I do not want something like this at all. If Bieniemy does a good job, that is good on the one hand but it also ties our hands a little going forward. I want to build this franchise properly for once with a GM who has all the power he needs and makes the hires he feels comfortable with and is then also accountable for everything. And if we already have a good looking OC in the building, then we either make a new outside hire at HC which the fans might not get 100% behind and we get backlash from the media OR we hire Bieniemy and need to have a GM that can work with him. So that is not ideal. But we'll see how things play out.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

It’s always good to take some time after a loss like that and reevaluate.  Never get too high or too low.  Realize it’s just one game.  Etc.  

so having said that.   It’s time to fire everyone.  

RR doesn't coach, he lets the players coach themselves as he stated after halftime. Just get rid of him completely and let JDR run the team. Maybe it's not him but RR. There's only one way to find out.

Back to back “assessment games” for the new ownership, IMO. 

Philly showed us at our present best, as a scrappy, talented team who are perhaps just a few players (and arguably better coaching) away from making some noise.

Last night however was us at our unprepared, lack-of-intensity and coaching-deficient worst. 

I’m not sure what to make of it then, as the focus in the immediate aftermath appears to be on coaching, and rightly so. But the mentality/attitude of players openly admitting to coming out “flat” is damning, IMO - was there an arrogance that we’d simply roll a poor team in turmoil? Perhaps. But again, on the back of the Philly game the score should have been a reversal IMO and a step towards progress or at the very least, stability. Seeing leaders like Jon Allen and Terry appear almost embarrassed however is not a good look.

It remains messy as to where we go from here if it’s true JDR is so involved in HC’ing responsibilities, unless EB steps into that role should the former be fired. But then that takes the latter away from what he was hired to do and asks further questions as to just what Ron does.

As an aside, I didn’t like the Magic tweet, personally. He’s absolutely right of course, but whilst it’s not even remotely dysfunctional in the way we’re used to, it brings unnecessary drama to things when  internal criticism at that level should remain in-house, IMO. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

JA slam of Fields could have been a penalty and I thought one of the PBUs by BSJ in the end zone was a flag worthy 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Add the hold on Chase they showed 30 times on one of the TD passes in the first half.

No idea how they picked up that PI flag in the 4th Q, either. Or how BSJ didn't get called one of the few times we actually held them on 3rd down.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm guessing we start to see some behind the scenes FO structure changes taking place. People who can assess the situation and pave the way for our next GM.

The coaches probably stay on for the remainder of the season, unless the wheels really are completely off.

Two weeks in a row, we're hearing players (this week a captain) complain about Beinemy and his awful coaching.

• Like 4

You don't drop back your rookie quarterback 55 times in a row without one designed run play behind this offensive line.  You also don't randomly forget that you can blitz the opposition and wait an entire half to do so. Both coordinators suck.  Both are Rivera hires.  All of them should be gone.

• Like 4