Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bea

KDawg

Here's the problem with our pass defense.  JDR has our DBs back in a cover shell every week and every OC knows it. Defensive players are aggressive by nature. Chicago knew our DBs would come up and bite double moves because what else are they going to being so far downfield?? Stand there flat footed or move up. It is a core problem with JDRs passive scheme.  Justin said it was on film and they attacked it all game long and couldnt wait to not defer. Our corners are not susceptible to double moves. JDRs scheme is. DBs have seen doubles their ENTIRE careers. We didn't blitz yet their WRs were open deep all game long. JDR is telling them to play deep but come up and "make a play" "focus on turnovers". 0 turnovers. Bears patchwork offensive line only blitzed a handful of times when the game was a blowout - giving them no chances to make mental mistakes in blitz pickups.  Does JDR really need to see his D abused to know its a flawed design??

Is EB an analytics guy? I still don't think so. My research showed Bears were susceptible to RBs in the receiving game. Sure enough dump offs to both backs and TEs were all we had on offense, but it took until the second half for EB to realize that he couldn't run and when he passed our receivers were blanketed every single time. Even though Chicago was blitzing all game long & very aggressive, our boys deep were blanketed so our offense was dump offs.

Edited by RandyHolt

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

He's not wrong, but should an owner be tweeting this out publicly?

No different than Jerry Jones slamming his team on his radio hits, I'm fine with it.

The truth hurts, hopefully it'll light a fire, most likely not though. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

2 things.

1. Every time they showed Ron on the sideline the dude had zero emotion with just a dead stare.  It literally looked like it could have been the same clip every one of the 10 times they showed him on the side line.

2. I am done wearing any Commanders gear.  I will no longer be wearing jerseys on game day and don't even know if I will wear my hat during the week.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

He's not wrong, but should an owner be tweeting this out publicly?

I don’t see anything wrong with that tweet.  This team deserves it after that performance last night.  These coaches and the FO SHOULD be put on notice for what happened.  These new owners are probably realizing the daunting task they have ahead of them.  They have to completely reshape the FO structure AND fire all the coaching staff.  Let’s also point out that they’ve been witness to two total ass-whippings at home the last 3 weeks.  They’re probably wondering what the hell is going on, just like the rest of us.

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

I don’t see anything wrong with that tweet.  This team deserves it after that performance last night.  These coaches and the FO SHOULD be put on notice for what happened.  These new owners are probably realizing the daunting task they have ahead of them.  They have to completely reshape the FO structure AND fire all the coaching staff.  Let’s also point out that they’ve been witness to two total ass-whippings at home the last 3 weeks.  They’re probably wondering what the hell is going on, just like the rest of us.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But, as I was saying last night, I find it to be kind of a nothing burger.

Want to make an impact? Make changes. Otherwise it's more of the same. 

Johnson, who attended the game, is one of 20 limited partners with new owner Josh Harris. Johnson has been highly visible as part of the franchise, between charitable events and attending games.

But this was his first critical tweet of his new team. And the players did not disagree with his assessment. After all, Washington fell behind 27-3 at halftime.

"I'd probably say that's pretty fair," Washington receiver Terry McLaurin said.

"Definitely," defensive end Montez Sweat said. "We came out flat."

..."It's what you put on the field," McLaurin said. "I know we don't have a lazy bunch; I know we don't have a non-intense group of guys. That showing is not reflective of us, but that's who we are. We put that on tape. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment [by Johnson]."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38580069/magic-johnson-critiques-commanders-loss-no-intensity

image.png.6bfd6770f2a9dab1627be495da64841e.png

Can't wait for the press conference where he sits there with this awkward look on his face talking about "cleaning up the ****" while referring to himself in the third person.

image.png.905ff81172e4684c0ee847a820a0fc7a.png

Then this clown will ramble on and on about how they have to do better early while praising Chicago's offense.

image.png.8934cf2d6bee0c436774732b27fbdaa5.png

Just pathetic platitudes from this loser.  Fire them all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I know Rivera won't do it but he should can JDR and take over defensive play calling.  Disperate times....

Sheehan among others have said they heard Del Rio actually behind the scenes takes over a bunch of the head coaching duties from Ron -- as he described he's sort of the defacto HC behind the scenes. 

So Rivera canning Del Rio would likely put a lot more on his plate than just the defensive coordinator job.

In short, I doubt it.  Rivera I gather has too much on his plate as is if he's delegating that much behind the scenes.

Is it possible that the players sent a message to the new ownership that they want a coaching change?  They knew the owner would be in his box

watching.  How do you play so well against the Eagles and lay down for the Bears?  Glad Magic Johnson sent out the tweet.  He calls them as he

sees them.

This loss sucks but unlike in former years, it didn't sting me as much. It was a pathetic showing against what is potentially the worst team in the league (sans us). But it also solidifies that there will be change after this year. I was most afraid of going 9-8 or something and the new ownership giving the same guys a new chance. I want systematic change. I want promising talent on the most important positions in this organisation. If yesterday did anything, it showed ownership that sustainable success is impossible with these people in charge. We get destroyed against the Bills, then proceed to almost beat the reigning NFC Champion on the road before getting absolutely dominated at home by a bottom feeder team that is competing for the first overall pick. Talent alone is not the issue and this has been the story for so long here. The people in charge are just not up to the task in a modern NFL.

I hope that Harris already is looking for a new GM. That you draft a guy in the first round who is completly overwhelmed and has absolutely no support whatsoever on the field, while the rest of your draft picks cannot even sniff the field is failure on a new level. Beyond that, we have demolished one of the better O-lines in the league to now have below average talent on each position except for RG maybe.

I like what I have seen so far from Sam Howell. He might turn into something. Which makes our situation a little more attractive to other coaches because we have at least a somewhat promising player at that position. But overall, we should be ready to dismantle everything and start from scratch. And results like yesterday at least help to speed up the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

This loss sucks but unlike in former years, it didn't sting me as much.

Same for me, but it's more because I just don't really care as much as I used to. 

I turned the game off after they Logan Thomas fumble and played some PS5 then watched a show with my wife and couldn't have cared less about the game at that point.

In years past I'd be listening to whatever post game show I could and would still be pissed off about it today.

• Thumb up 1

It’s only October, but the heat is already on Ron Rivera

“Tonight the Commanders played with no intensity or fire,” Magic Johnson, one of Harris’s minority partners, posted to social media. “We didn’t compete in the first half and got down 27-3 heading into halftime.”

That’s not a memo from Harris’s desk. But it’s a memo from someone who has a seat at Harris’s table — someone, it’s worth pointing out, who knows something about intensity and fire.

“That’s perception,” offensive lineman Charles Leno Jr. said. “When you’re down that much and that early, it looks like that.”

Just perception? Maybe. But if it’s perception coming from the owners’ suite, it matters.

“I’d say that’s a fair assessment,” wide receiver Terry McLaurin said.

This was a performance that drew attention in all the wrong kind of ways. So here we are, in early October, with the heat on Rivera — and, mind you, on defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio — much earlier than it needed to be. Just four days earlier, the Commanders pushed the Eagles to overtime in Philadelphia, the rare NFL loss that in the moment felt like a step forward.

The only way to ensure it became an actual step forward: Crush the Bears. Stop their opening drive and score on your own. (Actual result: The Bears went 75 yards in six plays, and the Commanders went three-and-out.) Show that your defense is dominant and disruptive. (Actual result: Allow scores on Chicago’s five first-half possessions, give up 451 yards and fail to create a turnover.) Move to 3-2 not with a struggle but with a statement. (Actual result: a third straight loss and a 2-3 mark.)

All that leads to inevitable talk of Rivera’s future — a theme for the season, for sure, but a serious discussion that should have been delayed until December. Yes, there are 12 games left. But Harris can easily go back and look at the records and the progress before he took ownership: 7-9, 7-10, 8-8-1. Total record in Washington: 24-30-1. Meh. Absolute, complete meh.

...So will there be changes? The Commanders have a week and a half before they play again in what now amounts to a must-win game at Atlanta. This mini-bye would be a time to mull and scrutinize how they do things — and who does them.

“We’ll see,” Rivera said, and he absolutely seemed to be mulling things. “I’m not going to sit up here and talk about those things until we get an opportunity to break the tape down.”

The tape will show a defense that not only didn’t dictate the game’s tempo and tenor but had it absolutely dictated to it. It’s unlikely Harris would pull the plug on Rivera all of five games into his ownership tenure. But Rivera could decide to make defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio the culprit. The evidence is there. He could justify it.

Before Thursday night, the Commanders had allowed opponents to score on 52.4 percent of their possessions, second worst in the league — and then they proceeded to cough up three touchdowns and two field goals on the Bears’ first five drives. By the end of the night, that percentage was up to 56.6 percent.

Look, no one wants Harris making football decisions, even major ones: whom to take in the draft, whom to pursue in free agency, who should call plays. But there are a few football matters that rest squarely on his desk: Who picks the players? And who coaches them?

Right now, both of those tasks fall to Rivera — a silly and unnecessary structure when former owner Daniel Snyder set it up that way but a challenge Rivera accepted. When his first-round draft pick, cornerback Emmanuel Forbes Jr., is roasted for a second straight week — and eventually benched — it’s fair to wonder about the process.

This was avoidable. Given the way the offense moved the ball and put up points against the Eagles, and given that the Bears couldn’t approach Philadelphia’s talent and cohesion, a win Thursday could have made Commanders fans excited about the possibilities to come. Up next: a four-game stretch of at Atlanta, at the New York Giants, home against the Eagles team they almost beat and at New England. Getting to, say, 6-3 past the midway point was hardly implausible.

Instead, there is this: a head coach pledging to examine his entire operation before the next game and an owner who is gathering data points about the current infrastructure and where people might fit in the seasons to come — if they fit at all.

Will Rivera’s scrutiny include himself?

“Absolutely,” he said. “We evaluate everything.”

• Thumb up 1

Just now, purbeast said:

Same for me, but it's more because I just don't really care as much as I used to. 

I turned the game off after they Logan Thomas fumble and played some PS5 then watched a show with my wife and couldn't have cared less about the game at that point.

In years past I'd be listening to whatever post game show I could and would still be pissed off about it today.

I feel somewhat similar. But right now there is at least hope for me that it can turn around. We have a new owner, we have gotten rid of the most pathetic man running this team. So I am more interested in the process right now than I used to be because 2-3 years ago it was what it was and it would always stay that way because it has always been that way under Snyder. But now, there is at least the possibility that things will turn around at some point. This year was always a lame duck year, so I am pretty much only intrigued by watching Howell and watching the process unfold for the upcoming offseason.

None of this is surprising to me,  this is the exact same team and results we have seen for the last 4 to 5 years. Losing to teams we shouldn't and playing competitive games against teams that should blow us out.  Our ceiling is .500 ball,  that's the best we can ever expect with this coaching staff.  Reality is the coaching sucks but so does the talent that this tired old staff put together.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1