Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

We do this every year.....blame the oline during the season, the QB after the season, wash rinse repeat. Watch.

The OL isn’t good. 

The QB play has been bad here for most of 30 years, lots of the bad OL play has actually been 50% due to bad QB play. Including last year. 

The OL isn’t horrible. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

The OL isn’t good. 

The QB play has been bad here for most of 30 years, lots of the bad OL play has actually been 50% due to bad QB play. Including last year. 

The OL isn’t horrible. 

Just like when the oline was getting RG3 killed, everyone said how bad they were. Kirk came in and they looked fine.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 6

Well, we got our post draft cut at tackle. It is Conor McDermott, longtime veteran backup JAG tackle, who got a few starts for the Patriots last year after they benched Trent Brown. He was with Bobby Johnson in Buffalo in 2019. He put up a 67 PFF grade in games played last year. He's definitely a guy worth bringing to camp if they don't like anyone else out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Well, we got our post draft cut at tackle. It is Conor McDermott, longtime veteran backup JAG tackle, who got a few starts for the Patriots last year after they benched Trent Brown. He was with Bobby Johnson in Buffalo in 2019. He put up a 67 PFF grade in games played last year. He's definitely a guy worth bringing to camp if they don't like anyone else out there.

I looked at his PFF profile and I think your description is accurate.  He has played 987 snaps the past 5 seasons (about equal to say 15 games as a starter) and averages out to a low 60's PFF grade during that time.  He doesn't upgrade the starting lineup but would definitely upgrade the Tackle depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, method man said:

He sounds like a bit of an upgrade over Trent Scott, who seems to have stuck on a few rosters but rarely  seen the field 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He'd be fine as a camp body.

Definitely. If Leno or Bakhtiari get a clean bill of health, I'd add one of those guys too. Worst case, McDermott can go to the PS. The dude has sat on PSs his whole career

Let’s be honest Ron and company had no idea about offensive line. They put Nick Gates back in the game last year after repeatedly showing he doesn’t have the play strength for NFL. We will see what Daniels, Stromberg and co can do with new regime. 

8 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Let’s be honest Ron and company had no idea about offensive line.

Let's be honest, Ron and company had no idea about most aspects of football coaching, ;) 

Amazingly, the Oline situation in general was brutally handled by a group of veteran coaches. 

While I have often brought up the failure in moves especially ignoring drafting Darrisaw in 2021. I wonder if he too would have been ineffective due to crap coaching

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

This offensive line has the makings of being a complete disaster again.

Our swing tackle from a bad unit last year is currently our starting left tackle and whenever Lucas has been asked to hold up for more than spot duty he's struggled, hence the reason he's been a swing tackle forever.

Our interior has improved from last year but it's far from great, allegretti is average at best, biadisch is serviceable but far from an elite center, cosmi is quite good and of course we still have Wylie at right tackle and he, as we all know was awful last year.

If your starters are this bad it's usually a pretty good indicator that your depth is even worse and to top it all off the coach is the architect of one of the only offensive lines that has been worse than ours the last couple years.

On paper were cruising at 23 Knotts and the lookout tower has no binoculars. 

Offensive line is one of those units that has the ability to be more than the sum of its parts so let's all pray that's what we become this year with the right coaching because we are seriously bereft of talent.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I agree, I have deep concerns about the OL. Biadasz was one of my favorites pickups, and Coleman looks good, but man...lots of holes. Lack of a solid LT is concerning. Just don't feel like we upgraded that much.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:45 PM, seantaylor=god said:

Just like when the oline was getting RG3 killed, everyone said how bad they were. Kirk came in and they looked fine.

We have had what 7/8 starting day 1 QB's and most played their last games here and not make it through the season. The OL has been terrible during these times. They have not been okay. OL rebuild should have started last year when we were in position to take them, instead we got DB's. Ravens, Steelers just rebuild the lines year after year through the draft mainly. I guess we will see this year and do not blame the new staff for taking who they took instead of OL. Maybe their 2 FA signings and 3rd rd. draft pick will improve the line from last year?  

Most advanced metrics had this OL as around mediocre but not as terrible as many here think. Bad scheme and a QB that has a propensity for taking a ton of sacks going back to college made them look worse than they are.

Wylie is such an interesting case. His metrics suggest he's actually half decent. The problem is when he does get beat, he gets beat BAD. Its not like ok he got beat but can still put up a fight, when he loses a rep he often completely whiffs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Most advanced metrics had this OL as around mediocre but not as terrible as many here think. Bad scheme and a QB that has a propensity for taking a ton of sacks going back to college made them look worse than they are.

Wylie is such an interesting case. His metrics suggest he's actually half decent. The problem is when he does get beat, he gets beat BAD. Its not like ok he got beat but can still put up a fight, when he loses a rep he often completely whiffs. 

Bad get's your QB killed and it was worst inside so maybe they fixed some of that. No's are just no's and do not tell the real story, sometimes you have to believe your eyes.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This offensive line has the makings of being a complete disaster again.

Our swing tackle from a bad unit last year is currently our starting left tackle and whenever Lucas has been asked to hold up for more than spot duty he's struggled, hence the reason he's been a swing tackle forever.

Our interior has improved from last year but it's far from great, allegretti is average at best, biadisch is serviceable but far from an elite center, cosmi is quite good and of course we still have Wylie at right tackle and he, as we all know was awful last year.

If your starters are this bad it's usually a pretty good indicator that your depth is even worse and to top it all off the coach is the architect of one of the only offensive lines that has been worse than ours the last couple years.

On paper were cruising at 23 Knotts and the lookout tower has no binoculars. 

Offensive line is one of those units that has the ability to be more than the sum of its parts so let's all pray that's what we become this year with the right coaching because we are seriously bereft of talent.

Great post… and totally agree and add another opinion too that the new OL coach Bobby Johnson isn’t a superb OL coach and had arguably 2 years of bad OL play up in NY with the Giants who similar to us had make shift OL…. So the jury is still out imho for this OL add to that the 1 answer you draft for OL is a project and there is rumblings he’s going to be a OG in Coleman

Edited by Command The 414

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I either read an article, saw a program or heard live on  Sirius something interesting within the last week or so regarding Wylie and our o-line.

The bottom line is that the talking head said it's one thing to have a guy like Wylie as your 4th or 5th best o-lineman. You can cover up for his weaknesses if the overall unit works well together and he said this was the case for Wylie when he was in KC.

Then the talking head went on to say that our specific problem is that if you look up and down our roster Wylie isn't the weakest link on an otherwise strong line as he was at KC.

Instead he's probably the first or second best on a very poor line overall, and that's an untenable situation-- especially with a raw rookie behind center.

He said that we basically have a starting line of "castoffs", "wannabes", "career backups", "never weres", and "maybe they can do it's, but I wouldn't bet on it".

Made it sound like we're heading for complete disaster, absent one of two things happening:

1. A major replenishment of o-line talent before game one.

2. Our o-line coach morphs into a young Bill Callahan, and rebuilds this motley crew into an "overachieving, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts, type of  unit", that surprises everyone and takes the league by storm

Otherwise, it seems that JD5 is going to end up pulling a season long Ben Gazara (ie "Run For Your Life"-- old timer classic tv reference).

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

I’m generally a fan of how they handled this draft from a philosophical perspective.  Felt like responsible drafting.

OTOH, with a rookie qb, particularly one coming from a program with a really good oline, there’s a part of me that feels like maybe we just needed to take our medicine - drafting 2 or 3 OTs.

Rosy (ie hopeful) viewpoint -  

Better play calling (lots of running in particular)

Better scheme (in the sense of it being catered more to Daniels, hopefully Daniels is better than Howell in speeding through progressions (and with a quicker release)

Stouter interior (slightly more time to throw and easier to escape the pocket)

Daniels threat to run slows down DEs

The combo of all the above (as well as more effective PA) allows for Terry and Dotson to use their route running strength to better their separation numbers

Improved TE play helps all around (pass pro, pass threat, quick separation)

I spent the last two years looking at our offensive line from this perspective. 

images(18).jpeg.b58f61a80208d808e81791a0d85f7b71.jpeg

And I'm not doing it again. 

I'm still happy we drafted bpa rather than reach for offensive lineman, in two years when newton and sainristil are wreaking havoc we'll be glad we took them over a couple serviceable lineman but that doesn't change my concern for this line.

I really hope we can get two solid lineman through either cuts or trades.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I spent the last two years looking at our offensive line from this perspective. 

images(18).jpeg.b58f61a80208d808e81791a0d85f7b71.jpeg

And I'm not doing it again. 

I'm still happy we drafted bpa rather than reach for offensive lineman, in two years when newton and sainristil are wreaking havoc we'll be glad we took them over a couple serviceable lineman but that doesn't change my concern for this line.

I really hope we can get two solid lineman through either cuts or trades.

This is kind of where I’m at as well - gonna expect the worst until proven otherwise.

You can scheme to protect the quarterback as well. Quick passes, screens, good run game, max protection. Joe Gibbs did this a lot when Mark Brunell was not playing quarterback. I still think Peters will be looking for a trade or maybe a post draft cut. We still have assets that we do not know if the coaching staff likes. Dotson, Forbes, Davis could all be traded. 

Posted (edited)

I was looking at the Oline to try to determine a rough depth chart and found a few differences in player positions listed on the official site (Commanders.com), ESPN.com and NFL.com, so I thought I'd share.

OLine2024.jpg.beed34782c978bcf1af2fc24c2d47e5a.jpg

A few things to note; NFL.com is well behind the times, Cornelius Lucas isn't even listed on the official site (is he still on the team?) and I'm still worried about the quality of the Oline.

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I was looking at the Oline to try to determine a rough depth chart and found a few differences in player positions listed on the official site (Commanders.com), ESPN.com and NFL.com, so I thought I'd share.

OLine2024.jpg.beed34782c978bcf1af2fc24c2d47e5a.jpg

A few things to note; NFL.com is well behind the times, Cornelius Lucas isn't even listed on the official site and I'm still worried about the quality of the Oline.

I’m amazed your OCD didn’t make you list that in alphabetical order…….

I reckon Coleman is viewed as our LT. Maybe Lucas starts the season. Maybe we bring in a vet for a season. But after that, Coleman was drafted for that job. I’m more concerned at RT now. 

I also think there will be players available that we can get to upgrade before week 1.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m amazed your OCD didn’t make you like that in alphabetical order…….

I reckon Coleman is viewed as our LT. Maybe Lucas starts the season. Maybe we bring in a vet for a season. But after that, Coleman was drafted for that job. I’m more concerned at RT now. 

I also think there will be players available that we can get to upgrade before week 1.

Lol, it is in alphabetical order (by position as listed on the official site), it looked better than ordering it by name.

Is Lucas definitely still on the team? He isn't listed on Commanders.com.

Agree that we will still bring in a vet or two.