Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

I saw with my own two eyes the '91 Hogs allow a TOTAL of 9 sacks ALL season.

And that was with Rypien at QB who was possibly our least mobile QB ever.

I clearly remember our stellar O-Line play from the 80s.

Never have I seen this franchise ranking at the bottom of the League with 24 sacks allowed this early in any season. 

That's unacceptable. I know Howell tends to hold the ball for too long bc he likes long and medium routes, but that can't be the only reason for this free-fall.

Until we straighten this issue we don't have a chance in hell at the playoffs.

Not with Dallas and Philly on our calendar two times a season.

Can someone please explain what the coaches are seeing to allow this to continue?

Edited by El Mexican
Longevity

Strange thread to start after they played a pretty decent game.

After the bills game it would have made more sense.

I suspect our line will continue to improve as a combination of multiple things occurs.

One, Howell continues to grow and learn to move up in the pocket and get the ball out quicker.

Two, the offense as a whole gets more comfortable with a brand new system.

And three, God willing they stay healthy.

Patrick mahomes takes sacks at a high rate and he's widely considered the best quarterback in the game with one of if not the best offenses.

It stands to reason that we'd take sacks at an even more alarming rate trying to install the same offense with a lesser quarterback and lesser offensive line.

Right now it certainly looks bad especially when you just look at raw numbers but it'll get better, I can say this for almost certain I doubt any offense in the history of the league has ever or will ever again put up 89 points in 4 games having taken 25 sacks, that almost seems impossible. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

Yeah, the 98 line was worse. As awful as Vinny Bugeyes was, I have to give him credit for bringing in Andy Heck in 99. It also helped that we drafted Jansen and Tre J was actually healthy for a full year.

Probably no coincidence that later the Texans under Casserly would also have the worst OL in the NFL.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Like 1

You guys have such short term memory. This isn't nearly as bad as when we had Turk Edwards, Les Olsson, Larry Siemering, Eddie Kahn, and Victor Carroll.

You thought Kory Lichtensteiger was undersized for a guard? No chance. Larry Siemering was as undersized as you can get. A whole 206 pounds of center, dude got eaten for lunch. Nick Martin could bench press him with 2 arms tied behind his back. Good guy, but not cut out for the NFL. He's been out of the league for years now.

Eddie Kahn had fight in him, but he never

Edited by NickyJ

10 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

Patrick Ramsey remembers a pretty bad line, well, actually, no he doesn't remember much.

Na that was the biggest example of QB making his OL look worse. He played behind Chris Samuel, Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, and Derrick Dockery. That OL was rock solid at worst and top 5 at best.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

They are not good, but I don’t think they are historically bad either. I think the situation will improve as the season goes on. But let’s face it… The O-line was in dire need of improvement this off-season, and it was barely addressed at all. It was no secret, everybody knew it and talked about it all along. Good linemen were available to us both in free agency and in the draft. But all we did was dumpster dive for a few scraps. It’s a case of poor roster building plain and simple, and there’s nothing the coaches can do about it now but try to make the best of it. This likely would not have happened with a competent GM running the show, something I look forward to hopefully finally getting next year for the first time in a long, long time. 

Edited by woodpecker

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Na that was the biggest example of QB making his OL look worse. He played behind Chris Samuel, Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, and Derrick Dockery. That OL was rock solid at worst and top 5 at best.

True, I didn't even go to look up the line so just trying to be funny there as I remember him getting sacked a ton.  I would take that line in a heartbeat today.

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I do but it's been a minute. Having Chris Samuels and then Trent at left tackle was nice. 

Plus Lachey and Jacoby before them. This franchise was blessed with a rock solid LT for decades. And as far as ops question. This isnt even the worst line in the league right now.  You should go watch the Giants game from Monday night. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the issue there was more blitzing and how Spurrier's system dealt with the blitz.  The system also probably did put too much on a 2nd year QB without much experience in the system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Plus Lachey and Jacoby before them. This franchise was blessed with a rock solid LT for decades. And as far as ops question. This isnt even the worst line in the league right now.  You should go watch the Giants game from Monday night. 

Yeah we aren't even the worst OL in the division. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

So, who was the center at the time. Was it Casey Rabach? He would have been a weak link in just about any o-line..

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I’d say it was more a case of awful lazy coaching making everyone look bad. An offensive system with no hot reads and only two protection calls. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That was also a lot of Spurrier not knowing anything. That was some of the worst hang-your-QB-out-to-dry offense which has ever been played in the NFL.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Our O-line hasn't been good in decades. 

The line Ron inherited had Trent at LT, Moses at RT, Scherff and Flowers at guard and Roullier at center. Admittedly Trent was trying (successfully) to get out of town - but that was a good line. 

• Like 5

On 10/3/2023 at 8:11 PM, redskinss said:

Strange thread to start after they played a pretty decent game.

After the bills game it would have made more sense.

I suspect our line will continue to improve as a combination of multiple things occurs.

One, Howell continues to grow and learn to move up in the pocket and get the ball out quicker.

Two, the offense as a whole gets more comfortable with a brand new system.

And three, God willing they stay healthy.

Patrick mahomes takes sacks at a high rate and he's widely considered the best quarterback in the game with one of if not the best offenses.

It stands to reason that we'd take sacks at an even more alarming rate trying to install the same offense with a lesser quarterback and lesser offensive line.

Right now it certainly looks bad especially when you just look at raw numbers but it'll get better, I can say this for almost certain I doubt any offense in the history of the league has ever or will ever again put up 89 points in 4 games having taken 25 sacks, that almost seems impossible. 

We still allowed 5 sacks vs. the Eagles.

That's pretty bad by any standard.

14 hours ago, NickyJ said:

You guys have such short term memory. This isn't nearly as bad as when we had Turk Edwards, Les Olsson, Larry Siemering, Eddie Kahn, and Victor Carroll.

You thought Kory Lichtensteiger was undersized for a guard? No chance. Larry Siemering was as undersized as you can get. A whole 206 pounds of center, dude got eaten for lunch. Nick Martin could bench press him with 2 arms tied behind his back. Good guy, but not cut out for the NFL. He's been out of the league for years now.

Eddie Kahn had fight in him, but he never

What year was this? 1946?

13 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Patrick Ramsey remembers a pretty bad line, well, actually, no he doesn't remember much.

That line is looking like an A+ compared to what we're doing now.

Ramsey was a victim of his idiotic Gator coach. That man should have never assumed an NFL job.

But EB was supposed to be the best OC in the league and we get this?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Giants are actually second-to-last in sacks allowed with 23.