Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t really trust them either unless it’s pure metrics.  Who’s determining what’s a pass set for the statistic you used? The same person who’s giving the ridiculous grades.

They’ve proven over the years to not be consistent and to have significant bias.

When looking at an organization to determine trustworthiness, you look at the top.  PFF is owned by Chris Collinsworth who’s a self promoting Jack hole.  And everything under him takes on the same culture if you will.  

I think teams subscribe to PFF to keep Collinsworth happy.  As soon as he’s off the Sunday night booth, which can’t come soon enough, the NFL will stop using the PFF rankings on the broadcast and teams will drop the subscriptions .

They define true pass sets as pass plays that are not screens, playaction, rollouts... https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-true-pass-sets-and-their-importance-to-player-evaluation

I am don't know how much the teams pay for their services but I am guessing it is a lot.  That said teams get a lot of stuff casual fans don't.  For example, lets say a player with 400 snaps has 47 plays graded at 1+ points or -1 points.  The rest are graded at 0, .5, or -5.  I think teams can filter and only watch the plays graded at 1 or more or -1 or less when say looking at a college prospect.  They also provide a lot about team tenedencies.  How much coverage a defense plays in this situation vs. another.  Same for offense.  There is no doubt that PFF has done well since Chris Collinsworth bought a majority stake (in 2014), but because they were one of the first analytical companies selling data to teams (they started in 2006) some of their statute was just being first to game which predates Collinsworth.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, after the SF game we have allowed a grand total of 61 sacks.

Our all-time worst tied with the historically bad '98 O-line.

If our QB gets sacked one more time against Dallas this will officially be our worst O-line ever.

But since this season is longer than the pathetic '98 season I'll just call it a tie now.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/redskins-most-sacks-allowed-in-a-season

Edited by El Mexican

7 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Did I hear Schlereth (I think it was) really bigging up Charles last night? Almost feel like I imagined it. He of all people should know a decent guard surely!

He was very very high on him in the preseason. Talked him up on Hoffman’s podcast

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

What an example of how badly Rivera developed the offensive line, during his tenure.  Three of his O-lines are in the top 9 worst Washington O-lines.

I didn't realize that. Wow.

Quite an indictment. 

• Thumb up 1

Granted the number of games being played is different now, but Rivera never really did anything effective to improve his O-lines over his 4 years.  

Also, I don't see why some folks think S. Charles was all that good.  From what I saw of his games, he looked like a C- level player, with the inability to stay healthy.  He probably does his best at LG, but even so, not that great.  I think he'll be a free agent this off-season, so it'll be interesting if the new FO is even interested in re-signing him. 

Edited by Wyvern

40 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Did I hear Schlereth (I think it was) really bigging up Charles last night? Almost feel like I imagined it. He of all people should know a decent guard surely!

He actually said that he was a player that we could build around. I laughed out loud. Not saying that he can't be good but the hyperbole was outrageous.

• Like 1

Cornelius Lucas is arguably a better left tackle than Leno. He is also UNQUESTIONABLY a better right tackle than Wylie. Possibly the most disgusting thing about this season for me, is the fact that they didn't do hardly anything to fix the oline issues. Injuries finally forced Ron's hand. How could any staff not at least try putting Lucas at right tackle and Wylie at guard or the bench if necessary? That one move would have helped a lot. Could have easily been made in week 3 or 4. When it became obvious how big of a problem the line was. Is it pride? Is Ron egotistical? Impossible to admit to being wrong? Those are all preposterous reasons to allow something that you are responsible for ( and means a lot to millions of fans ) to go straight down the commode 😡

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me

On 1/1/2024 at 1:26 PM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Cornelius Lucas is arguably a better left tackle than Leno. He is also UNQUESTIONABLY a better right tackle than Wylie. Possibly the most disgusting thing about this season for me, is the fact that they didn't do hardly anything to fix the oline issues. Injuries finally forced Ron's hand. How could any staff not at least try putting Lucas at right tackle and Wylie at guard or the bench if necessary? That one move would have helped a lot. Could have easily been made in week 3 or 4. When it became obvious how big of a problem the line was. Is it pride? Is Ron egotistical? Impossible to admit to being wrong? Those are all preposterous reasons to allow something that you are responsible for ( and means a lot to millions of fans ) to go straight down the commode 😡

Yep. When Sam was taking a ton of sacks early in the season, Lucas played a game for Leno and did pretty well like he usually does. The issue for Lucas is he is very good for a few games and then doesn't hold up as well. I think he is the best swing tackle in the league though

Well, the last game of the season saw us give up four sacks to a very good Dallas D.

That makes it 65 in the season, four more than the previous historical worst '98 Oline.

I know we need to take a QB in this year's draft. That's undeniable. But after that the O-line should be top priority.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Well, the last game of the season saw us give up four sacks to a very good Dallas D.

That makes it 65 in the season, four more than the previous historical worst '98 Oline.

I know we need to take a QB in this year's draft. That's undeniable. But after that the O-line should be top priority.

We are almost guaranteed a first round caliber tackle prospect at #36 and can get another guy at #40 if we choose to do that

• Like 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:20 PM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

He actually said that he was a player that we could build around. I laughed out loud. Not saying that he can't be good but the hyperbole was outrageous.

Probably misread a production note that was referring to Cosmi.

Just now, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Lol nope. Ole Stink has hyped up Charles multiple times. I hope he is right. Then maybe two of five oline positions are good. Possibly Charles and Cosmi.

Charles is a FA. We can and should do better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Agreed. Wouldn't mind him back as a backup on the minimum but we need a real penciled in starter at LG

Not me, he has been here 4 years to many. It's time to move on he is on roller skates in the pass game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, method man said:

Agreed. Wouldn't mind him back as a backup on the minimum but we need a real penciled in starter at LG

We definitely do but assuming Stromberg doesn't  earn the starting center spot I think he and Paul are fine as the backup guards, plus Daniels and Mason Brooks can compete there. No need to bring back Charles

Is anyone aware of another team that COMPLETELY rebuilt an online through FA in a single year.... I'm talking replacing at least four starters with FAs.

I'm just curious if that has ever worked?

Edited by DiscoBob

On 1/9/2024 at 3:23 PM, MrJL said:

We definitely do but assuming Stromberg doesn't  earn the starting center spot I think he and Paul are fine as the backup guards, plus Daniels and Mason Brooks can compete there. No need to bring back Charles

Paul sucked this year.  The OL went to a disaster when he was inserted into the lineup.  Doubt he makes the roster next year.  Charles (who wasn't great) was clearly the better player.  

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Is anyone aware of another team that COMPLETELY rebuilt an online through FA in a single year.... I'm talking replacing at least four starters with FAs.

I'm just curious if that has ever worked?

My goal is to get three new starters: LG, C, and RT. Cosmi is a damn good RG on the verge of being an All Pro caliber guy, and Leno is still okay at LT(but would like a young guy that can develop into his replacement).

There are good interior OL in FA. Jonah Williams from Detroit is a Pro Bowler and if we hire Ben Johnson, that could be his first major move. And there are some good C and RT prospects that will be available for our 2nd round picks.

• Like 3