Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

@El Mexican Would a title change to “Official Offensive Line Thread” be appropriate for longevity’s sake, now that we’ve washed away the hopeless negativity of the Snyder holdovers who ruined this OL? 

Hopefully less of a disaster moving forward, and we do love our well-titled mega threads here for ease of access 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Conn said:

@El Mexican Would a title change to “Official Offensive Line Thread” be appropriate for longevity’s sake, now that we’ve washed away the hopeless negativity of the Snyder holdovers who ruined this OL? 

Hopefully less of a disaster moving forward, and we do love our well-titled mega threads here for ease of access 

Good idea, as we move on through the offseason the OL talk can drift into here…

• El Mexican changed the title to Official Offensive Line Thread
On 3/26/2024 at 2:36 PM, Est.1974 said:

Good idea, as we move on through the offseason the OL talk can drift into here…

Absolutely man, until I see some clear improvement with this new group Imma keep remembering every fan that we just finished the worst season in history regarding our O-line.

As someone who saw The Hogs, The younger Hogs, the Pathetic 98 Line, the Two Anchor System (Samuels & Jansen), The Dirtbags, and a bunch of other units who are best forgotten last year's effort is still seared in my eyeballs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Thought o line would get more attention in the draft with only 1 o lineman selected and it's not even clear what position he'll be: guard/tackle 

last thing we want is Daniels (if he wins the starting job) getting crushed all year 

Kind of hard to do when everyone and their mother takes the good tackles right away and people refuse to trade with you to pick said tackles...

• Like 3

Donovan Smith may have been penalized 9 times but he only gave up two sacks.

Also we need to wait a bit and see if the draft creates any Leno/Moses situations

Our OL was god awful, but our play calling was worse. Not saying to expect the hogs, but hopefully some better play calling can mask it a bit. (Still holding out hope someone decent gets cut).

We absolutely need another OT brought in. I do like the Coleman pick. I’d be looking in the vet market for another. Wonder if we see some cuts following the mass of round 1/2 rookies just taken.

• Like 2

Emmmm, why did the O-Line get neglected in the draft?

I'm starting to guess the new regime blames last year's pathetic O-Line showing on RR and Howell. 

No other way around it. We're rolling with most of last year's unit except we added Biadasz and Allegretti, right?  

Daniels better start packing some protein milkshakes.

• Thumb up 1

The OL needs help, it’s not good.

It’s also:

1. Not as bad as people think

2. It’s now at least marginally better than it was last season 

3. And it was never as bad as Howell and poor playcalling made it look last season

4. Because, does no one remember how much better it briefly looked with Brissett? Similar to the 2013 OL under RG3 and then Cousins. 

5. And our offensive staff, player personnel, and playcalling really can’t get worse—I’d even go as far as to say we can expect it to easily be better.

6. Which will help accommodate the remaining weakness in the OL, because remember, this post has never been about claiming the OL is actually good, or claiming it’s not a problem. 

7. Just that it’s not AS much of a season-destroying code red as people are making it out to be. 

8. Because better personnel is already achieved. Better QB play is achievable, and should be expected*. And better playcalling is achievable, and should be expected**

*no offense to Howell as a young, growing player but he was one of the worst QB’s in the league last year, efficiency-wise.

**because it really couldn’t get worse than what EB was doing last season. You don’t even need to like or believe in Kliff to assume this happens, because EB called a historically stupid offense, on top of it being designed poorly.

NOTE: I still very much hope some decent veteran OT’s are released for us to try to sign. Again, I am not arguing things are fine or even close to ideal. Simply saying that Daniels is not guaranteed to die and derail our season before it begins like people are acting. The talent is already improved, even if marginally. The scheme and play selection can help a ton. Daniels being talented as hell can help a ton, even baking in his status as a rookie. Even as it stands right now, this will not be a historically bad OL or something—it wasn’t even as bad last year as people think when you take into account the playcalling and QB play. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

This is worth a chuckle.

After a few words on drafting a qb at two Rivera mouths off that the Commanders have to protect the young man. They’ve got to get a quality left tackle. The line is poorly constructed. They need to do a better job and focus on that line yada yada…

Tell me something Ron, “Who the hell built this monstrosity of an o-line in the first place, huh?”

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thumb down 1

I feel that the o line will be serviceable this year. I think Sam Howell and Bienemy made the line look worse than what it was last year. Sam had a tendency to not see the field well, get stuck on his first read, held the ball to long, and drifted into pressure. Bienemy was ver predictable

I think Sam Howell and Bienemy did make the line look worse. 

But what I think is a little bit revisionist is that people are forgetting that the line also made the line look worse.

We had a revolving door playing RT and as much as I like Lucas he is a downgrade to Leno.

Now, on the flip, I think we have improved the interior IOL.

Biadasz is a clear upgrade at center.

Allegretti and Stromberg should compete for LG. I’m not sure why everyone lost faith in Strom but I certainly haven’t. 

Now, having said that: LG still looks to be the third weakest link on the OL after, in order: RT, LT.

Can coaching help, too? Sure.

Id say our line was a 60 last year (made up number to show my thoughts on improvement).

This year, right now, it’s a 68. Now: Stromberg, Brooks, Coleman, Daniels showing improvement and growth can jump this into the mid 70s. 

Wylie not being a turnstile can push it to about an 80 if all else pans out.

I think we will still make a FA move once cuts start happening at one of the tackle spots, too. So TBD. 

Right now it’s better. But not by a lot. And mostly because of Biadasz.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I feel that the o line will be serviceable this year. I think Sam Howell and Bienemy made the line look worse than what it was last year. Sam had a tendency to not see the field well, get stuck on his first read, held the ball to long, and drifted into pressure. Bienemy was ver predictable

I have posted the same thing. In addition the upgrade at center and LG can not be understated. However the one concern I have is Daniels' sack to pressure ratio was terrible, he has the same traits as Howell (and Maye for that matter).  

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Allegretti and Stromberg should compete for LG. I’m not sure why everyone lost faith in Strom but I certainly haven’t. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This year, right now, it’s a 68. Now: Stromberg, Brooks, Coleman, Daniels showing improvement and growth can jump this into the mid 70s. 

Wylie not being a turnstile can push it to about an 80 if all else pans out.

I don't know if people lost faith in Strom, but he is in a battle for a roster position under a new regime and may have lost his opportunity at what was thought to be his best position, C. It's a real shame he was injured because he missed a big chance to play and shine late last season.

I brought up Daniels and Brooks a few posts back because they may have been forgotten about and have a chance to shine as we move towards next season. There is definitely going to be competition at many OL positions. 

The reality is: MOST O Lines in the league are bad. You talk to fans of every team and almost every single one of them will tell you how much their OL sucks. I think the only fan bases happy with their OL are the Lions, Chiefs, and Eagles. Maybe the Ravens and Texans also. OL play around the league sucks.

Our OL is below average but I scheme, playcalling, and an inexperienced QB who had a historically bad sack rate in college made them look worse then they are. There is no chance they look that bad again this year with an upgraded interior, what should be better playcalling(I can't imagine anything worse), and a QB that is much faster at processing and with a quicker release(who is also a legit run threat, which will change the way Ds attack us).

We can only hope the 2 biggest problems to are line are gone. EB and Nick Gates. I do not think Leno had much left last year. LT still concerns me but will wait and see. Teams drafted about 20 starters in this draft so there may be some cap casualties. 

The Texans went from worst O-line with 2 things. A good play caller and a good quarterback.

Edited by OtisDriftwood25

14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have posted the same thing. In addition the upgrade at center and LG can not be understated. However the one concern I have is Daniels' sack to pressure ratio was terrible, he has the same traits as Howell (and Maye for that matter).  

I think the sack to pressure thing is overblown. Keim spent several pods mentioning NFL scouts don’t see it as an issue. Something overblown by the stats people

• Like 1