Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Offensive Line Thread

El Mexican

6 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Lol, it is in alphabetical order (by position as listed on the official site), it looked better than ordering it by name.

Is Lucas definitely still on the team? He isn't listed on Commanders.com.

Agree that we will still bring in a vet or two.

Yeah Lucas got a one year low cost deal. 

• Thanks 1

I think there’s a non-zero chance that Peters, coming from SF, along with Kingsbury think there is a viable way to account for a mediocre at best OL via scheme:

Daniels releasing the ball quickly (and using RB’s and TE’s heavily) can take a lot of the pressure off of himself. We’ve seen it before—Cousins coming in when the OL looked terrible in 2013, Brissett last year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2024 at 11:36 AM, Conn said:

I think there’s a non-zero chance that Peters, coming from SF, along with Kingsbury think there is a viable way to account for a mediocre at best OL via scheme:

Daniels releasing the ball quickly (and using RB’s and TE’s heavily) can take a lot of the pressure off of himself. We’ve seen it before—Cousins coming in when the OL looked terrible in 2013, Brissett last year. 

But do we know that Daniels can do this in an offense yet? Seems like in college, he just ran when pressured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

But do we know that Daniels can do this in an offense yet? Seems like in college, he just ran when pressured.

Of course not, I’m just theorizing that it “can” work. I don’t know how to measure it or why people think this, but he’s pretty universally regarded as having excellent processing ability so in theory, if he’s able to internalize that he can’t out-athlete defenses all the time in the NFL, he should be able to quickly find the open man and get rid of the ball—making his life easier and the OL’s life easier. Will it play out that way? No idea. 

45 minutes ago, Conn said:

Of course not, I’m just theorizing that it “can” work. I don’t know how to measure it or why people think this, but he’s pretty universally regarded as having excellent processing ability so in theory, if he’s able to internalize that he can’t out-athlete defenses all the time in the NFL, he should be able to quickly find the open man and get rid of the ball—making his life easier and the OL’s life easier. Will it play out that way? No idea. 

That's a big "if", but one he will need to realize if he has any hope of a real career in the NFL. Godspeed, young man. I hope you're able to make the transition.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 11:36 AM, Conn said:

This was our OL’s story in 21 when they were statistically ranked top 10 as a unit- Turner was masking their overall suckiness by really leveraging quick game

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, CommanderInTheRye said:

I either read an article, saw a program or heard live on  Sirius something interesting within the last week or so regarding Wylie and our o-line.

The bottom line is that the talking head said it's one thing to have a guy like Wylie as your 4th or 5th best o-lineman. You can cover up for his weaknesses if the overall unit works well together and he said this was the case for Wylie when he was in KC.

Then the talking head went on to say that our specific problem is that if you look up and down our roster Wylie isn't the weakest link on an otherwise strong line as he was at KC.

Instead he's probably the first or second best on a very poor line overall, and that's an untenable situation-- especially with a raw rookie behind center.

He said that we basically have a starting line of "castoffs", "wannabes", "career backups", "never weres", and "maybe they can do it's, but I wouldn't bet on it".

Made it sound like we're heading for complete disaster, absent one of two things happening:

1. A major replenishment of o-line talent before game one.

2. Our o-line coach morphs into a young Bill Callahan, and rebuilds this motley crew into an "overachieving, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts, type of  unit", that surprises everyone and takes the league by storm

Otherwise, it seems that JD5 is going to end up pulling a season long Ben Gazara (ie "Run For Your Life"-- old timer classic tv reference).

I was very harsh on the O line before the season commenced last year.  I posted a ton on it.

I don't feel the same way now.  I think the O line will be so so.  The same argument ironically people came back at me with last year -- the defenders of the O line then would argue with me its so so.   I disagreed with them, then.  I thought it would be bad.   But this time I am betting on so so.

RT:  not a fan of Wylie then, not a fan of him now.  But I do expect him to be better with a more run heavy version of the offense.  He's a better run blocker and should be better in pass sets this year considering they don't plan to throw 1000 times a game.

RG:  Cosmi has evolved into a great RG over the season.  So we got Cosmi again but IMO a better more evolved version of him.

C.  Biadaz should be a big time improvement.  Gates sucked.  Larsen wasn't that good either.  The center position is big and we've gone from maybe having the worst center play to among the better center play.

LG:  Allegreti or Coleman.  The Chiefs had very good guards and Allegretti couldn't crack that lineup so he was their swing player.  I see him sort of like when we had Schweitzer who was a high end backup elsewhere and played well mostly when he was here.  Allegretti has been a good pass blocker thoughout his career -- mostly 70s-80s grades from PFF.  Gave up 1 sack in his career.  I think he can be good.    He's replacing S. Charles who sucked his whole career and Ron for some reason bet on as the dude last year.  C. Paul also sucked.  LG should be a distinct improvement.  

And Coleman IMO has the potential to be a very high end guard if they play him there.  I've talked about that a lot recently on the draft thread.

LT:  Lucas or TBD.   Lucas in pass protect has been good throughout most of his career.  Heck when he had to deal with the SF pass rush last year, he did well.  "Meh" at run blocking.  But if the idea is not to get your QB killed, he's fine.  Does Coleman evolve into a LT?  Maybe.  Also I think they ultimately sign one off the wire.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

LG:  Allegreti or Coleman.  The Chiefs had very good guards and Allegretti couldn't crack that lineup so he was their swing player.  I see him sort of like when we had Schweitzer who was a high end backup elsewhere and played well mostly when he was here.  Allegretti has been a good pass blocker thoughout his career -- mostly 70s-80s grades from PFF.  Gave up 1 sack in his career.  I think he can be good.    He's replacing S. Charles who sucked his whole career and Ron for some reason bet on as the dude last year.  C. Paul also sucked.  LG should be a distinct improvement.  

Dieter also has started quite a few games at LG

• Like 2

There’s a part of me that wishes we’d just signed Allegretti to a 1 year deal, essentially leaving an opening for Stromberg (or possibly Coleman) to take over at some point this year or next, but 1) it’s quite possible that security is a big part of why he signed here, and 2) if he loses the starting job next year, he’d be a fairly highly paid backup (not egregiously so though), and then carries a dead cap of 2m in ‘26.

Maybe it’ll turn out that I’m under-appreciating our DEs, but I wish we had a high quality edge rusher that could really challenge our tackles.  Of course our DTs (and blitzing from our backers, etc) should be good preparation for our IOL.  I know Howell had his own issues, but the number of times he faced pressure from multiple areas was highly problematic.

If I had to guess the floor of this unit compared with last year - moderate step down from Leno to Lucas, small step up from Charles to Allegretti, moderate step up from Gates/Larsen to Biadasz.  And then I’d grant them 1) a small step up for (what I presume will be) a more balanced offense, and 2) a small step up from Howell’s slower post-snap reads and EB’s (seeming) lack of catering to personnel to the Daniels/Kingsbury combo.  Here’s hoping we exceed that floor though.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Conn said:

Pretty cool, from GHH’s (long gone now) hero Callahan. We need some of these 

Yeah we need a couple of those sleds and bookend Lathams! 😁

Maybe next year we draft Daniels college blind side protector Will Campbell

Love seeing him getting down so low and coming up with power, he was one of my favorites. That was one of my only real concerns with him and this sled is doing it's job in training him. 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 10:05 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep I've talked about him on another thread on the same topic, good pedigree for a backup

I may have missed this, but who is Dieter?

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Thanks SIP. Not sure how I missed that signing. 

Looks like he started for the Texans but we expect him to be a backup here?

starter due to injury

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

starter due to injury

So, not all that good? I don't recall the Texans having that bad of an OL last year although maybe they looked better than they were due to the play of CJ Stroud. 

So, not all that good? I don't recall the Texans having that bad of an OL last year although maybe they looked better than they were due to the play of CJ Stroud. 

hard to say.  seems like he has had injury problems in the pros.  He was the Dolphins startng center for a while but then they got Connor Williams

I get the same impression SIP has offered - that Deiter is a Wes Schweitzer type.  You feel pretty good about him as a backup G/C, but if he’s your full time starter, you’re probably looking for an upgrade.

• Like 1