Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah.  I dunno.  Maybe you're right.  But it would be tough.  At the very least, we would be responsible for all of the escalated signing bonus cost, so that's $17.8M against the cap immediately.  And that would be the 2023 cap assuming he's traded this year (which was the post I was responding to.)  That number might be low, though, because I'm not sure what parts of the Roster, Workout and whatever the Roster/GM cap hits would also accelerate to our cap. Maybe none.  I admit, I don't know how that works.  

I KNOW the signing bonus is 100% the responsibility of the signing team.  Because we already paid him the cash.  So we have to take that amount on the cap at some point.  

And there's no way to move that around, because we've already cut him the check.  Since we've paid him, we HAVE to take that money on our cap at some point.  

Ergo, I don't really think an in-season trade is possible.

Unless there are other moves they can make to clear cap room to do it.  Which, maybe there are if they are tearing everything to the studs.

I also personally wouldn't trade Terry.  He has a reasonable contract and is very good, and he is somebody you want to keep around and build around.

I'd trade the entire defense except for Allen and Payne, again, for cap reasons, I don't think they CAN trade either of them.  

Let me be clear - I am no way advocating trading Terry. I was simply responding to the statement about difficulty to trade him. And yes we own the CAP hit for signing bonus but we are already 1 yr into the contract and the remaining is not cost prohibitive. Remember we are projected to have $93M in CAP space and that's beforevthe CAP is rtaisedc. If they want to move him and the price is right, the later being the key, then they CAN do it. 

But again I would not unless it's jsut a deal you can't refuse. 

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Eithr way, I do NOT want a HC retread. Get a GM who hired thier own HC. Someone young and very hungry. 

The NFL is LITTERED with bad GMs who hired bad coaches.

I don't understand why this is the gold standard.  

I'm for having the GM and the HC be peers, and be forced to work together.  Both succeed, or both fail.  I don't think one should have authority over the other.  

If you have one work for the other, then it honestly doesn't matter who works for who.  I see the two things as completely and totally different skillsets, which no one person has or can do.  A GM can't coach, and a Coach can't roster build.  So why have one work for the other?

In the corporate example, it's like one is a Chief Financial Officer and the other is a Chief Operating Officer.  Same level, both extraordinarily important, completely different skillsets. And you'd never have the CFO hire the COO, or the COO hire the CFO. 

Also, I agree, I don't want a coach on their second or third job.  I want a first time coach.  There are only 2 second-time coaches I can think of which have had significant success: Andy Reid, who is the winningest coach for BOTH the Eagles and the Chiefs, and neither of those are "young" organizations, and Jon Gruden.  But Jon is an interesting case because he was traded.  I guess Dick Vermeil had success with the Eagles and then the Rams.  But that's about it.  Even Jimmy Johnson didn't have great success with Dan Marino and the Dolphins.  

I do want an aggressive, forward thinking GM and a hungry, first time HC.  I just don't want to see one pick the other. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Let me be clear - I am no way advocating trading Terry. I was simply responding to the statement about difficulty to trade him. And yes we own the CAP hit for signing bonus but we are already 1 yr into the contract and the remaining is not cost prohibitive. Remember we are projected to have $93M in CAP space and that's beforevthe CAP is rtaisedc. If they want to move him and the price is right, the later being the key, then they CAN do it. 

And again, I think it WOULD be prohibitive to do during THIS season because it's at least a $17.5m cap hit on the 2023 cap. Which we don't have.  You WOULD save some significant coin against the 2024 cap.  Now ... If you trade Sweat and Young, you have that room and more.  I don't think you're getting anything for them though because they are both going into FA this year, so what are you getting?  A fourth rounder to rent a player for 10 games?  5th rounder maybe?

And we agree, we shouldn't trade him and all of this conversation is just pointless noise.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The NFL is LITTERED with bad GMs who hired bad coaches.

I don't understand why this is the gold standard.  

I'm for having the GM and the HC be peers, and be forced to work together.  Both succeed, or both fail.  I don't think one should have authority over the other.  

If you have one work for the other, then it honestly doesn't matter who works for who.  I see the two things as completely and totally different skillsets, which no one person has or can do.  A GM can't coach, and a Coach can't roster build.  So why have one work for the other?

In the corporate example, it's like one is a Chief Financial Officer and the other is a Chief Operating Officer.  Same level, both extraordinarily important, completely different skillsets. And you'd never have the CFO hire the COO, or the COO hire the CFO. 

There needs to be someone who is the final decision maker. If HC and GM are peers then who breaks the tie? Owner? President? If you have a president then I guess you could do it your way where both rolls report to the President. I am Ok with that. But for me the GM should be the one with the vision of the type of team he wants and type of players and coaching approach he wants. What kind of team do you want. Then that person gets the pieces that gets you there. Yes the GM and HC work very close together but ultimatly the GM makes final roster deicsions. And if the GM finds and hires the HC (which is the general standard in the NFL) then they still succeed or fail together. GM owns the HC performance. 

Also, I agree, I don't want a coach on their second or third job.  I want a first time coach.  There are only 2 second-time coaches I can think of which have had significant success: Andy Reid, who is the winningest coach for BOTH the Eagles and the Chiefs, and neither of those are "young" organizations, and Jon Gruden.  But Jon is an interesting case because he was traded.  I guess Dick Vermeil had success with the Eagles and then the Rams.  But that's about it.  Even Jimmy Johnson didn't have great success with Dan Marino and the Dolphins.  

I do want an aggressive, forward thinking GM and a hungry, first time HC.  I just don't want to see one pick the other. 

And again, I think it WOULD be prohibitive to do during THIS season because it's at least a $17.5m cap hit on the 2023 cap. Which we don't have.  You WOULD save some significant coin against the 2024 cap.  Now ... If you trade Sweat and Young, you have that room and more.  I don't think you're getting anything for them though because they are both going into FA this year, so what are you getting?  A fourth rounder to rent a player for 10 games?  5th rounder maybe?

Deals can be made to give us relif if someone wants to bad anough. But yea, it's not happening so we can just agree to disagree. 

I get Magic has to be a face and a bridge but commenting on every little thing can be problematic for a lot of people. He's kinda dug himself a hole cuz if he does not respond to outcry, people will see it as him and the ownership group not caring, so he "has to" put out a message that they see what the fans see and they feel our plight.

I don't like the idea of my ownership group wagging their fingers after every setback, like some kind of overbearing shadow brokers, but the alternative right now is people getting up in arms. Its the hidden darkside of a Magic-like mouthpiece. I think the dream is to get to point in the future where we only roll Magic out in positive situations and he can kinda hide for negative stuff, but we are not there right now.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:12 PM, Koolblue13 said:

We have 3 coaches that know they're done after this year and maybe for good, there is no way they're making moves for the future.

JDR can be a DC next season if he wants. And watch how that D plays compared to this one. It'll answer a lot of questions.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I am sure Harris has already reached out to candidates but yeah that rumor is random BS. 

I doubt he has directly since they’re all likely working for teams at the moment (unless he does something unorthodox and goes outside the sport, which is rare).

I do assume that he has a brain trust of consultants who know the league. Probably some of them suggested by the NFL. He knows Joe Banner for instance, people like him. And those people know the hot up-and-coming personnel guys in the league who are qualified to lead organizations as GM. 

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

I doubt he has directly since they’re all likely working for teams at the moment (unless he does something unorthodox and goes outside the sport, which is rare).

I do assume that he has a brain trust of consultants who know the league. Probably some of them suggested by the NFL. He knows Joe Banner for instance, people like him. And those people know the hot up-and-coming personnel guys in the league who are qualified to lead organizations as GM. 

After spending 6 Billion, he better.

He has to have someone Watching the team; seeing how everything is being run.

18 hours ago, skinzplay said:

JDR can be a DC next season if he wants. And watch how that D plays compared to this one. It'll answer a lot of questions.

This actually wouldn’t surprise me. It seems that in the league, teams are way more willing to give first time OCs a shot than DCs. The league is littered with retreads in DC roles, probably why Joe Barry has a job. I think the reason why is because so many HC hires are offensive guy who retain playcalling duties

1 hour ago, method man said:

This actually wouldn’t surprise me. It seems that in the league, teams are way more willing to give first time OCs a shot than DCs. The league is littered with retreads in DC roles, probably why Joe Barry has a job. I think the reason why is because so many HC hires are offensive guy who retain playcalling duties

That's the way the league is trending the last few years.  It's exactly what I want Harris & Company to do, once they dispose of Ron and the FO.  I want him to grab a guy under Howie Roseman or under the Vikings FO, and have that guy hire our new HC, which should be a young offensive coordinator with a bright future.  I don't want any more retreads or anymore defensive minded coaches.  I want any young up and coming OC to come in, and guide this team into the current century and beyond.  I also want our new FO/HC to evaluate EVERYTHING once they settle in.  If they feel that changes need to be made on both sides of the ball, make it happen.  If they feel like they have to part ways with talent (even talent that we love), then let them work on that.  I want a completely clean slate, with a new GM and new offensive minded HC, so that we can finally begin the process of becoming a contender.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, goskins10 said:

Terry is the only one off the trade table

3 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Honestly by the time this team is good, he will be in his 30s 

So you want to lose the fan base? Everyone else doesn't matter, but how many teams introduce a WR last when the offense comes on the field? He is the face of the team.

12 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

So you want to lose the fan base? Everyone else doesn't matter, but how many teams introduce a WR last when the offense comes on the field? He is the face of the team.

face of a loser team.  the fan base is non existent.  Josh Harris will do the same thing here as he did in Philly. Trust the process.  He will tear down this roster before it gets good