Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Josh comes off a bit clownish to me, it's time to move past the honeymoon period and get serious.  He's too damn giddy for a guy who paid $6 billion for a team on the brink of disaster.  Magic's response was what I want to hear from ownership while Josh is still on cloud 9 celebrating the purchase of his new toy.

He's seen as ruthless when it comes to changing things when need be.  If there was no history with him with other teams he'd be a mystery.  But he's not a mystery.

He's just not an angry type from what I've seen when making moves,

• Like 3

I don’t for a second take Josh’s demeanor in the box to mean he doesn’t take his gig as owner seriously.  He has no connection to the abomination on the field aside from the check he stroked a few months ago.  He absolutely has a plan that most likely doesn’t include Rivera, even prior to him pooping the bed at home twice.  I don’t see how being visibly mad about the teams performance helps him or us in any way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Josh comes off a bit clownish to me, it's time to move past the honeymoon period and get serious.  He's too damn giddy for a guy who paid $6 billion for a team on the brink of disaster.  Magic's response was what I want to hear from ownership while Josh is still on cloud 9 celebrating the purchase of his new toy.

Please tell me you're kidding. He's owned the team for less than 2 months.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm the last person to criticize anyone for their opinion.  

But, look...you don't get to the level of success as an owner of two sports franchises or business person and be a clown.   Snyder lucked into his fortune, but that's polar opposite to everyone in the HOG.  I have absolute confidence in Josh's ability (and the combined ability of his ownership group) to get this franchise turned around, and I don't doubt for one second their collective sincerity in that endeavor.

I don't feel this way simply because the new ownership group isn't Dan Snyder; these guys are proven in their credentials and commitment.  I for one feel damn lucky that these gentleman ended up as the stewards of this franchise.  And I'm certainly not going to get on Josh's case over a few camera shots of him (completely out of context) laughing with someone about something no fan is privy to.  If that game was being played next year after Josh and his group have had the opportunity to put their people in place, and we're looking at the same type of reaction, then that's an entirely different matter.  But I for one have zero doubts that a duplicate scene would be taking place.  

I feel like those getting on Josh's case after such a small time as owner with zero ability to change the course of this already doomed ship that is this season are just looking for someone to blame; they're so used to the misery that something and someone always has to be the major culprit.  It seems ingrained by now. 

If people want to be legit upset at some people, here's a legitimate list of those you should turn your ire towards:   

Dan Snyder (for putting RR in power)

Ron Rivera (for putting this excessively mediocre-at-best FO in power)

Jack Del Rio / Ron Rivera as DC and HC respectively.  

I don't blame the players because I feel their effort is there.  A lot of them are wasted draft picks and simply not good enough to get us where we need to go, but Ron's regime put them on the field.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Please tell me you're kidding. He's owned the team for less than 2 months.

No, I'm not and I don't care that he's owned the team for about 10 minutes.  I don't hate the guy or think he's going to fail because of what I said but it annoyed me.  If he never put much stock in the season to begin with that's fine, only he knows that and I'm reacting as a fan.

I'm more receptive to Magic's response.  Josh is doing a lot off the field to make things right I just wish we could sim the season to the end and see what he can do to make the on the field product better, its not going to be easy for him and my guess is his smiles will be fading pretty soon.

It's so funny when we have people laughing like, "What the **** is going on?" in the GDT, but then the owner is supposed to be scowl faced and a younger Jerry Jones in terms of emotion? He's not playing.

As long as he makes the right choices when it's not gameday, I couldn't care less what he does ON gameday.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Redwards said:

you don't get to the level of success as an owner of two sports franchises or business person and be a clown.

I agree, this was not meant to be a "Josh is terrible" post but I see it did trigger some people.  It's just my opinion at a very early stage in his tenure.

• Thumb up 1

The writer who did that long expose on Harris 2 weeks or so ago said that Harris wants to use this season to digest what they got.  The sale was complicated and took a long time to get that done.  their time was spent getting the deal done right through some of the summer versus digesting this current regime. 

Plus this current regime has clearly sold him on the idea of watch us without Dan -- blaming Dan and the context around him to their performance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/07/22/josh-harris-washington-commanders-fans/

On Josh Harris’s first day of business as owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, the first sports team he purchased, he fired its general manager.

• Like 1

Don't know if anybody else heard Harris say that Rivera was a 'good man' a few weeks ago.  Sounds a lot like what Joe Gibbs said about Rivera.  I have a hunch that Gibbs is at least one guy Harris is tapping for input on the NFL side. 

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Plus this current regime has clearly sold him on the idea of watch us without Dan -- blaming Dan and the context around him to their performance.

He also took control on the eve of training camp? When did he take control of the sixers? I have no idea, I hate the NBA.

This regime minus Dan:

200w (3).gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Lions are doing to the Panthers what we should have done to the Bears. I so want Ben Johnson as the head coach next year.

Stand in line. He is going to be top of list for every HC opening this offseason. The more Howell looks like a franchise QB, the better it will bode for us to be the ones to get him. As of now, if I am him, the Chargers are my #1 choice

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Stand in line. He is going to be top of list for every HC opening this offseason. The more Howell looks like a franchise QB, the better it will bode for us to be the ones to get him. As of now, if I am him, the Chargers are my #1 choice

Yeah the Chargers are going to be very attractive, and Johnson with Herbert would be really fun to watch.

But, I think this is still a sleeping giant. FedEx was loud into the 4th quarter on Thursday, despite this team playing like utter ****. I don't think that can be discounted. When was LA loud for the Chargers?

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

When was LA loud for the Chargers?

Off topic but I can not imagine going to a game between two teams that share a stadium going against each other as a fan of one of those teams.

Blood would be boiling and hands would be thrown lol.

LAvLA and NYvNY must feel wild.

• Like 1

To continue, the two most obvious teams to fire their HC would be us and the Raiders. McDaniel is the worst coach this league has seen since Bill O'Brien. But the Raiders organization isn't attractive, I don't think. Davis is a terrible owner. I am almost certain this is Belichick's last season in NE. Maybe the Falcons and Titans, depending on how they finish. Will Eberflus get another year?

The other thing I think is going to hinder us is hiring a new GM too. That's going to slow the HC search, unlike a team like the Chargers. If Belichick steps down/retires, they would need to establish their FO too. So, lets hope the Chargers go on a run!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Josina seems to have a statement from ownership.  The statement on ticket sales is humorous but honest.  The fact the limited partners have "their own thoughts" make it seem as if everyone may not agree on how to address the current situation.

"There is still time for better results, but the clock is ticking."

23 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t for a second take Josh’s demeanor in the box to mean he doesn’t take his gig as owner seriously.  He has no connection to the abomination on the field aside from the check he stroked a few months ago.  He absolutely has a plan that most likely doesn’t include Rivera, even prior to him pooping the bed at home twice.  I don’t see how being visibly mad about the teams performance helps him or us in any way.

What’s interesting, and I have to think somewhat intentional, Josh was speaking a lot during camp and preseason.  

I don’t think he’s said almost anything since the season has started.  Maybe an odd interview here or there, but nowhere near as much, even during the first 2 weeks when we were winning.

The best thing he can do now is learn and say nothing to anybody.  

Magic tweeting out his “this is unacceptable and I noticed” tweet after the game on Thursday was all you need know. The ownership group is paying attention.  But this isn’t the time to do anything or say anything.  Ron’s built this car.  He’s going to have to drive it.  

Nothing is going to happen, most likely, until the end of the season.  

Ron should fire Jack on his own.  But he has nobody to replace him with so even if he wanted to, I’m not sure he can. But that’s on Ron. 

I’m fine with Josh not doing anything until it’s all played out.  We had too much of impulse reactions from owners.  Since he can’t do anything about this year, the best thing is to say nothing, take notes, and ship the whole lot of them out of here the day the season ends. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

The idea that ticket sales would eventually flag.  That's a point that I among others made before the season.

The wicked witch is indeed dead and that's plenty to celebrate but how long will that sustain enthusiasm when we got a head coach-FO that the fan base isn't excited about and seem to take us for the same 8-8 type journey every season?  Eventually I expect some fans to tune out until this new regime brings a new FO and coaching staff.

• Like 1

The only curiosity I anticipate about staffing changes is towards the end of the season. Are there any GM candidates that could be signed before the season ends? If the Commies play themselves out of the playoff run, I could see the current GMs getting moved out of the way to let the new one get a head start. But that's assuming there's someone worth hiring while the season is going on.

Edited by NickyJ

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The idea that ticket sales would eventually flag.  That's a point that I among others made before the season.

The wicked witch is indeed dead and that's plenty to celebrate but how long will that sustain enthusiasm when we got a head coach-FO that the fan base isn't excited about and seem to take us for the same 8-8 type journey every season?  Eventually I expect some fans to tune out until this new regime brings a new FO and coaching staff.

Yup. All stuff we touched on at great length and the direction a lot of us felt things were most likely to go. Ticket sales and attendance will be very interesting at our next home game. Regardless it still seems it is even more likely than ever that we are headed to the "All new everything" approach this off season.

I do get the personally selfish bright-side of things spiraling in the direction needed for specific changes... On a number of avenues...

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

I've never set up a scouting department in my life but wouldn't it make sense to get a GM in place now so that GM can replace/retain and build that portion of the FO and set the course for next offseason?  Keeping the same FO and staff throughout this season means that next offseason we're making free agent and draft decisions based on the findings of Ron's FO and scouting staff.

Am I wrong on this? 

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I've never set up a scouting department in my life but wouldn't it make sense to get a GM in place now so that GM can replace/retain and build that portion of the FO and set the course for next offseason?  Keeping the same FO and staff throughout this season means that next offseason we're making free agent and draft decisions based on the findings of Ron's FO and scouting staff.

Am I wrong on this? 

You're exactly right on this. It's the one reason I can think of why Josh might rationally fire Rivera before the end of the season. Ron's not just the head coach; he's in charge of the entire football operation, and I'm sure that's in his contract. I don't know that Josh could hire a fully empowered GM while Ron's still around.

To me, the best move is for Josh to work now on finding his guy to run football operations, and then fire Ron the day after the Commanders are eliminated from playoff contention. If that's Black Monday (1/8/24), so be it, but I wouldn't wait until the end of the season unless necessary. The new GM will have a lot of work to do before the draft and FA, and the sooner they can get to it, the better.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 2