Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread 2023: SUPER BOWL LVIII (58) ~ Chiefs vs. 49ers

zCommander

In the third quarter Kyle decided he wanted to pass more. CM only had 2 handoffs. Purdy couldn't handle the blitzes. He did have a couple of chances to go up by 14 but he overthrew both of them. Can't remember the receivers but one was on the left side in the end zone and the other was his right side that if it got to the player was clear for the end zone. He overthrew a lot. Kyle didn't even have anything for Kittle. Purdy was good but good won't cut it against Mahomes.

The morons on First Take are talking for about 10 minutes how the 49ers not understanding the overtime rules.

Yet Orlovsky on First Take talks about how Mahomes got the last TD right before time expired on OT, when in actuality the Chiefs weren't going to be running out of time. The clock would have just went back to 15 minutes.

Then none of the other 3 people called him out for it because they didn't know the OT rules either. Today. :rofl89:

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

The morons on First Take are talking for about 10 minutes how the 49ers not understanding the overtime rules.

Yet Orlovsky on First Take talks about how Mahomes got the last TD right before time expired on OT, when in actuality the Chiefs weren't going to be running out of time. The clock would have just went back to 15 minutes.

Then none of the other 3 people called him out for it because they didn't know the OT rules either. Today. :rofl89:

What's not to understand? TD trumps FG

2 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Clock running out in OT before Chiefs score. They just treat it like a quarter and move to other side of the field. That’s why Chiefs were in no rush or using timeouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Orlovsky said that KC was taking a chance because if time expired before they got the TD they wouldn't have had time to get off a FG. In other words Orlovsky doesn't understand the OT rules either.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Why is a Broncos QB bringing the Chiefs a Super Bowl trophy?

That's like having Gibbs having to hand it to Jerey Jones. 🤮

Mahomes.

These last two especially, the one against Tampa ill give a pass because missing two tackles and no way beating actual GOAT in what was essentially a home game for all the marbles.

No other QB has had more than 325 yards passing to go along with 60+ yards rushing except for Mahomes. And he did all of that with a rookie as receiver #1 and a center that couldn't hike the ball. That was a special performance.

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Even if the 49er players didn't know the new OT rules, Kyle did and very clearly outlined the logic behind the decision. It just didn't work out.

This is true.  Much ado about nothing.

1 hour ago, seamonster said:

No other QB has had more than 325 yards passing to go along with 60+ yards rushing except for Mahomes. And he did all of that with a rookie as receiver #1 and a center that couldn't hike the ball. That was a special performance.

He won the game for them, full stop.

That first half was a hot mess, that can also be true.

Edited by Renegade7

Anyone trying to downplay how impressive this win was: the Chiefs are one of only 6 teams in NFL history to beat TWO #1 seeds and a #2 seed. They beat multiple top 4 offenses and defenses as well, all while playing mostly on the road. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:12 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Btw, I used to like Romo, thought he was good at predicting plays and explaining what was going on real-time and brought good energy.

Guy has totally mailed it in and I think knows he’s getting fired or something.  It was clear he had no idea in the SB both teams got a chance on offense unless the first score was a defensive score.  

Nance tried to help him and he was oblivious.

Also, when the chiefs ran a play after a Mahomes scramble and let about 20 seconds run off the clock, he said “I would have clocked the ball.”  

Ok, 2 things:

1. You never won **** in the playoffs so what credibility do you have over Reid and Mahomes to make that judgement?

2.  If you clock it on second down, you lose that down.  You’re immediately I’m 3rd down with a 4th down FG.   The statement was wrong ALSO.

Ne really irritated me this game.  

He irritated me a whole lot more than cutting to Taylor a few times during the game.  A lot more.  

He either needs to step up his game or get fired.  

I’m no fan of Romo, but at least we will avoid the sleep inducing Greg Olsen next season, since Tom Brady is taking his spot.  

13 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

I’m no fan of Romo, but at least we will avoid the sleep inducing Greg Olsen next season, since Tom Brady is taking his spot.  

Greg Olsen is better than Romo at this point.  

I have no idea how good Brady will be.  But I imagine pretty good.  

And if he says “I would spike it here” he’d probably be right.  And has the credibility to say anything he wants.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The last thing I want is to have to still put up with Tom Brady after retirement.  Just go away, whiny cheater.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're going to have to put up with Brady, possibly, for the rest of your useful life.  Because he's a cyborg and is not going away anytime soon. 

On 2/12/2024 at 2:48 PM, Jumbo said:

One admittedly fuzzy concept in sports I tend to credibly apply to Brady and Belichick separately (and I'm not with the "bill's been overrated" crowd) and the Patriots as a whole is they often "just find ways to win." I think Mahomes has that as an individual player.

I think in addition to the edge a Mahomes gives any coach or team, I think since going to the Chiefs, Reid has just evolved to a level of coaching and staff management that is at the very top echelon in NFL history.

And I'm not super versed in who has most sway on roster building, but they're very very good too at shifting and changing line ups that still remain major contenders every season while Reid and his assistants seem able to just coach the hell out of them even when serious issues all the wrs dropping passes or other flaws in other units present at times.

Amazing stuff.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:01 PM, @DCGoldPants said:

this is true

I have a connection to the backup...He's from Virginia (Lorton). He got put into a real bad spot. Can't expect a rookie to handle Andy Read chess matches.

• Like 1

Kyle isn’t on the hot seat yet. 4 nfc championship appearances and 2 superbowl appearances, gives him leeway. 

Though there will come a point where York decides Kyle can only take the Niners so far but doesn’t have what it takes to win a championship.

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2024 at 1:39 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Kyle isn’t on the hot seat yet. 4 nfc championship appearances and 2 superbowl appearances, gives him leeway. 

Though there will come a point where York decides Kyle can only take the Niners so far but doesn’t have what it takes to win a championship.

Firing Steve Wilks as a scapegoat for the Super Bowl loss is definitely not a good look.

Edited by ntotoro

It looks bad but I'm seeing from niners fans that they understood the decision and in the regular season there were moments of tension where Shanahan visibly disagreed strongly with a defensive call. He also called a timeout in the SB because the Niners were in Cover 0.

• 4 weeks later...