Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread 2023: SUPER BOWL LVIII (58) ~ Chiefs vs. 49ers

zCommander

Brutal.  Perspective on this is so different in my 40s than 20s.  But I get the smack talk and it's fun when younger.

Andy Reid was a loser for so many years. Took him 20 years to win with KC.   Brock Purdy does look like he could potentially be a high level QB. Since when do "game managers" lead the league in passer rating?  Folks calling him that never saw the 2000s Baltimore Ravens. Trent Dilfer!  

Kyle Shanahan has had offensive success everywhere he has coached.  It took Andy Reid 20 years of coaching to win...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fergasun said:

Brock Purdy does look like he could potentially be a high level QB.

No he doesn't. His arm ain't strong enough. Dude throws a lot of moon shots that are reminiscent of the Heinicke. 🤣

I don't think he lasts as a starter. 

Oh and I'll take shots of Tay Tay in the audience a million times over shots of Brock Purdys dip**** dad. 

• Like 2

Heinicke to Brock Purdy is the most wild comparison I've ever heard. The only time Heinicke was a threat was when he had McLauren and refs running deep posts into triple coverage and somehow winning. Purdy has brains. He doesn't need a cannon arm to win. He'll never be on Mahomes' level with athletic and mental abilities combined, but I think he has the brains to follow in Brady's footsteps, and what he doesn't have in Brady's arm, he can do a fairly decent job of covering for with his legs. He has the tools to make himself valuable, and can buy his career time to get some valuable veteran experience to use later. I would kill to be in a situation like the 49ers, even after losing to the Chiefs.

31 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, a league leading QB rating of 113. He's not the strongest link in the chain, but he's certainly not the weakest one either. It's not like he's one of the three week wonders who puts up some pretty stats and then goes on a 4 game losing streak to close out the season. I don't understand how people can be so down on watching a QB earn his job instead of being some posh top 5 overall pick who gets showered with sympathy when he throws his 3rd pick six of the season.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Chiefs already talking threepeat.  It’s not going to be easy. Their division will be competitive and the afc has several teams that could take it from them; though only the Brady Pats and Burrow Bengals have done it. Though I do believe you want to go to the superbowl, you have to get by Chiefs.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Anyways, the CMC fumble, muffed punt, missed extra point, missed, etc. You take away one of those mistakes and the 49ers win, not to mention I don't think they score any points off their takeaways. Everyone want to say that KC was amazing, don't forget that they were absent during the entire first half of the SB. This loss in on San Fran, how do you blow that? How do you lose again, making those stupid mistakes?

The Chiefs had their own adversity to overcome too. Pacheco's fumble 5 yards from the goal line, his second fumble that he actually did recover, and Mahomes' TD. Take away any of those and I think the 49ers look a lot shakier than they appeared. But the Chiefs are built for shootouts, and the 49ers offense really was dormant for the majority of the game. I missed most of the first quarter, but at least for some of the second quarter and almost all of the third, it seemed like the 49ers just gave up on running the ball.

I get not wanting to overwork McCaffrey when it seems like he is their entire running game and a third of their passing game, but it seemed like the 49ers left had an identity crisis for half the game. It makes me question Shanahan. Two games choked away. One where he had a massive lead by halftime, another where he should have been up by at least two scores.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Redd said:

I’ll say it. Glad the Chiefs won so Trent and Chase don’t get rings.😈

Life is not fair. However, Chase getting a ring just ain't right.  Glad the Chiefs won, mainly cos I am a borderline Mahomes fanboy.  I have no problem Trent getting a ring  Great player.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Chiefs already talking threepeat.  It’s not going to be easy. Their division will be competitive

Maybe the Chargers are more competitive with Jim Harbaugh, who did well with the 49ers. I'm not expecting a whole lot from the Broncos or Raiders.

When all is said and done, I can see people using the same argument when judging the Chiefs that they did for the Pats.....they played in a weak division. Not that I ever bought that, as the Pats had a gaudy out of division record as well.

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Redd said:

I’ll say it. Glad the Chiefs won so Trent and Chase don’t get rings.😈

100% with you on Trent. I'm tired of reading how reporters liked him. #1. He was done wrong by the Redskins. Yes. #2. On his 2nd suspension, missing a drug test, and he blames the NFLPA instead of shutting up and taking responsibility for being stupid. #3. The **** from a few years ago with his dogs and terrorizing his neighbors. **** that guy. He's an elite player and an inferior person. Glad he is taking heat this AM for his penalities. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Brixtion_skin said:

Life is not fair. However, Chase getting a ring just ain't right.  Glad the Chiefs won, mainly cos I am a borderline Mahomes fanboy.  I have no problem Trent getting a ring  Great player.

No. Trent and his Momma took a dig at Washington after winning the NFC Championship game. I’ll say it again. I’m Glad Trent Williams didn’t win a Ring.😈

• Like 1

I feel like Brock Purdy was extremely good yesterday but he was never great the way Mahomes stepped up and was, and that was the difference.

Chiefs D played great but the killshots were there to be had for SF while they were up and they let the Chiefs hang around. When you do that and Mahomes is on the other side, you're basically playing Russian Roulette with yourself. Eventually, the bullet is going to be in the chamber. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Interesting contrast between this and the extensive repetitive coaching Reid did on the subject throughout the year (according to Mahomes and others).

https://sports.yahoo.com/super-bowl-several-49ers-players-admitted-they-didnt-know-new-rules-when-ot-started-151052094.html

Kyle gets a lot of love, too much love, from guys in DC who he probably was friendly with and used to get his Dad's message out there from their Skins days. He's a really good coach who probably should have lost to GB and Detroit before running into a better coached team in KC. Glad to hopefully not hear about him until next season now. I'd trade Grant Paulsen to San Fran for an overnight sportstalk engineer to be named later. 

One admittedly fuzzy concept in sports I tend to credibly apply to Brady and Belichick separately (and I'm not with the "bill's been overrated" crowd) and the Patriots as a whole is they often "just find ways to win." I think Mahomes has that as an individual player.

I think in addition to the edge a Mahomes gives any coach or team, I think since going to the Chiefs, Reid has just evolved to a level of coaching and staff management that is at the very top echelon in NFL history.

And I'm not super versed in who has most sway on roster building, but they're very very good too at shifting and changing line ups that still remain major contenders every season while Reid and his assistants seem able to just coach the hell out of them even when serious issues all the wrs dropping passes or other flaws in other units present at times.

Amazing stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I think in addition to the edge a Mahomes gives any coach or team, I think since going to the Chiefs, Reid has just evolved to a level of coaching and staff management that is at the very top echelon in NFL history.

In the 1st half, there were moments where San Fran was going with all their trickery, meanwhile Mahomes looked frustrated, not throwing, scrambling for a yard. Now I'm wondering if that was part of the plan where KC was holding back for later in the game while SF was throwing it all there from the start. That would be some coaching.

Edited by @DCGoldPants

10 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

In the 1st half, there were moments where San Fran was going with all their trickery, meanwhile Mahomes looked frustrated, not throwing, scrambling for a yard. Now I'm wondering if that was part of the plan where KC was holding back for later in the game while SF was throwing it all there from the start. That would be some coaching.

I do t think so. 

I think what happened with good coaches and quarterbacks happened, they figured it out as the game was going on.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do t think so. 

I think what happened with good coaches and quarterbacks happened, they figured it out as the game was going on.

I don't know. We do know that teams will bait the opponent by doing something a certain way and then something different from the same look. 

To me, the most impressive change about the Chiefs offense was being able to let Tyreek go. Tyreek made Alex Smith look like a gunslinger for at least a single season, and made it feel like Mahomes was playing on the easy levels of Madden. It may not be so easy now, but he's been gone for 2 seasons and they've won the Super Bowl the past two seasons. Things might be different when Kelce is gone, but that will be a challenge for another day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Mahomes talked about how on the months since last season ended, Reid frequently instructed him (paraphrasing now) on how to let the individual games "come to him" and don't try to rush things. Don't lose all your spontaneity or instincts but at the same time try to stay in control and calm.

The big phrase and concept that Pat seemed to grab onto was "let the game come to me".... take in the whole of how things are going....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I don't know. We do know that teams will bait the opponent by doing something a certain way and then something different from the same look. 

Greenlaw went down and the Chiefs offense feasted on the backup. They adjusted and took advantage of the new mismatch.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1