Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The hope is that the Commanders will defy the odds, escape the injury bug while other division foes catch it, and give us some good football to watch in December.  But make no mistake about it, it will be about defying the odds because the stats and trends don’t favor us at this time.

If his point is the odds are against this team as to the schedule versus last year but heck strange things happen so he hopes that the luck Gods favor this team -- that's cool.  I am guessing so since he liked your post.

The way i took his post was he was doubling down on @Voice_of_Reason's point that the strength of schedule means zip, nada.   But if the point is the schedule matters but maybe we get lucky.  Sure, anything is possible.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If his point is the odds are against this team as to the schedule versus last year but heck strange things happen so he hopes that the luck Gods favor this team -- that's cool.  I am guessing so since he liked your post.

The way i took his post was he was doubling down on @Voice_of_Reason's point that the strength of schedule means zip, nada.   But if the point is the schedule matters but maybe we get lucky.  Sure, anything is possible.

I’m not entirely sure his point, I was just taking a stab at it.  Which is that things don’t always shake out as predicted.  I don’t think you or Conn are saying that’s not true though either.

My point is that Sharp and the gang have good reason to project negatively for this team, and that our hopes really lie in being an exception, impacted positively by the uncontrollable variables. 

• Like 2

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/11/23827776/washington-commanders-training-camp-football-focus-ron-rivera-josh-harris

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Commanders Present: Actual Football at Training Camp

Last year, Washington’s training camp was a desolate place full of swirling Dan Snyder rumors and bad vibes. This year, under new ownership, everything has shifted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

RE: Predicting the season based on schedule:

It’s silly. In any context. There are so many things that can happen in every scenario. 

I see why people do it. It can be fun to project and see where things may align.

But ultimately it’s a fruitless activity other than the fun it is for some folks.

Football is a week and even sometimes a day at a time sport. QBs can be injured on the Friday before a game (rarely, if ever, happens… but it can). The QB can go down on play 1. 

There are so many ways things can play out that looking at the schedule and making predictions is just a fun activity.

Having said that, it’s also not impossible to kind of figure out where we “should” be based on the schedule. 

Great goal setting looks like that, too. 

So… ya. I don’t see a problem with either side’s point of view.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

A reminder that since the 17 game schedule was introduced half of the playoffs teams fall off the next season. Even the defending Super Bowl champs fell way off.

There is too much turnover season to season to use past seasons stats to reflect future seasons chances.

I believe that around the 4th game of the season, statistical trends can start being relied upon for rest of season guesses.

I fully expect us to clobber the Cardinals in Week 1, but history shows us that Week 1 results really do not reflect much of anything for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

A reminder that since the 17 game schedule was introduced half of the playoffs teams fall off the next season. Even the defending Super Bowl champs fell way off.

There is too much turnover season to season to use past seasons stats to reflect future seasons chances.

I believe that around the 4th game of the season, statistical trends can start being relied upon for rest of season guesses.

I fully expect us to clobber the Cardinals in Week 1, but history shows us that Week 1 results really do not reflect much of anything for the rest of the season.

2-image-stickthingclober-1-productimagenowatermark.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

RE: Predicting the season based on schedule:

It’s silly. In any context. There are so many things that can happen in every scenario. 

I see why people do it. It can be fun to project and see where things may align.

But ultimately it’s a fruitless activity other than the fun it is for some folks.

Football is a week and even sometimes a day at a time sport. QBs can be injured on the Friday before a game (rarely, if ever, happens… but it can). The QB can go down on play 1. 

There are so many ways things can play out that looking at the schedule and making predictions is just a fun activity.

Having said that, it’s also not impossible to kind of figure out where we “should” be based on the schedule. 

Great goal setting looks like that, too. 

So… ya. I don’t see a problem with either side’s point of view.

This exactly. 

It's definitely a fun thing to do and looking at each individual matchup assuming injuries and fluke occurrences don't effect the matchup you can reasonably assume a particular outcome but the overall schedule itself, too many variables.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

Caught up with Keim's latest podcast.  He doubled down on what I said the other day which it looks like Quan Martin will be a rotational player, not a starter this year.  Keim thought as a primary backup to Kam Curl.

So if all these narratives are borne out, for 2023 we have one starter in that draft group, Forbes.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, WFT4Ever said:

When did Logan Thomas get hurt? I thought he was having a good camp and him being held out was precautionary 

Calf strain like a week ago. So, based on how wrong they seem to be about injuries with this coaching/med staff. I'm pessimistic on this being an "abundance of caution" thing that Ron said.

Need Turner and Hodges to get lots of play and hope one or both flash in preseason games. Both catching and blocking. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

It's been a long time since I was this excited for a preseason game. I'm not being unrealistic about it but I can't wait to see the kids play

I kindof want them to go full Gibbs preseason mode where they ran a 2 back offense for preseason which was entirely different than what they did in regular season.

Maybe we could come out in a wishbone or run the power I or something in preseason….

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

“Why are they running on first down!! Idiots!! I hate everything!!” - VOR exactly seven hours from now. 😆

Except I’m with my family on vacation so I won’t see the game until next week.  So your timing is way off… (your prediction of reaction might be on point though. Chuckle.) 

:P 

• Like 1

Seriously, on offense, the one thing I’m interested to see more than anything tonight is if they get in and out of the huddle quickly and efficiently.  This is an extremely wordy offense.  Just seeing them get to the line with more than 10 seconds left on the play clock would be a first good sign.  

You really can’t take much from preseason but certain things I think are important:

1. Does the team look prepared and know what they are doing?

2. Does any unit loom totally overmatched?

3. When the starters are playing, are there any obvious 1:1 matchups which are one sided in either direction.

If you want to start well in the regular season, at least blooming competent in the preseason is good.  If you don’t look competent, it’s not the end of the world.  And literally nobody should make bold predictions about the season based on a preseason game.  

But it’s better to look good than bad. And it’s better to have something to build on (positive stuff in preseason) than to have ti fix everything (negative stuff).

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 3

I watched the games last night. My interest is can we at least look better than the Texans  in protecting the QB!! I hope Stroud has life insurance …

Get Sam a couple of safe completions, hit an intermediate pass or two, keep him at least reasonably clean and I will call that a win. 

Ideally we see the first string march down the field and score a TD. But I will settle for ‘look like we know what we are doing and don’t get Sam killed’.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

38 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it’s better to look good than bad. And it’s better to have something to build on (positive stuff in preseason) than to have ti fix everything (negative stuff).

This is where I’m at, in fact - it’s where I’ve always been at for preseason games.

Its hard to translate much from a preseason game as a whole, but whether or not the team appears competent and whether guys get beat like a drum - are things that tend show up when the real bullets fly.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Seriously, on offense, the one thing I’m interested to see more than anything tonight is if they get in and out of the huddle quickly and efficiently.  This is an extremely wordy offense.  Just seeing them get to the line with more than 10 seconds left on the play clock would be a first good sign.  

You really can’t take much from preseason but certain things I think are important:

1. Does the team look prepared and know what they are doing?

2. Does any unit loom totally overmatched?

3. When the starters are playing, are there any obvious 1:1 matchups which are one sided in either direction.

If you want to start well in the regular season, at least blooming competent in the preseason is good.  If you don’t look competent, it’s not the end of the world.  And literally nobody should make bold predictions about the season based on a preseason game.  

REMEMBER OSAKA!!! 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5