Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

On 8/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera is being roasted on both stations now. I think they are taking it too far

Can't even scour the top Commanders' news this morning without every headline toting the same theme. The media circus is in full force once again. Fantastic job, RR. 🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drfustercluck said:

Can't even scour the top Commanders' news this morning without every headline toting the same theme. The media circus is in full force once again. Fantastic job, RR. 🙄

Ron is creating a real fustercuck!  :ols:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Drfustercluck said:

All of this is Ron’s fault.  An unforced error that didn’t have to happen. Ron really isn’t the brightest tool in the shed.  Incidents like this just amplifies it.  His media acumen is exactly like his coaching acumen, mediocre.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Giants had a bad first day in their Lions scrimmage than apparently good 2nd day.  Be interesting to see this team next week with the Ravens if its likewise up and down.

I admit I am a bit interested in the Giants because I do think they are this team's closest comp in the division and maybe in the league.  Most of the national media think that team is a clear peg better than this team.  Personally I don't think so.

Waller judging by the NY media is their hero during camp, seems like a lot of their hopes are pinned on him.  I think though just like Jordan Reed was for us back in the day, great player but can he stay healthy?  I think if Waller is as good as his teammates, media say he is and he stays healthy -- Giants > Commanders.  But if he doesn't stay healthy I think we will supplant them.

“When we looked at the film [after the first day], it was a lot of stuff we did, and we knew that, like, we were kind of messing up and not as crisp in our routes and doing our thing,” receiver Isaiah Hodgins said. “So we came out like, ‘Let’s control us and not worry about them.’

“There was definitely more energy and a little bit more pep in our step. I think that just defines how good of a team we are, how we were able to respond. We felt we didn’t put our best work out there [Tuesday], and we came out and I felt like we were firing on all cylinders.”

Hodgins’ take on his quarterback was that Jones was “going crazy, firing on all cylinders. He was distributing the ball to everybody. I’m pretty sure everybody had a couple of catches. He looked great out there. He was decisive, making great decisions, great throws. Hat’s off to him, he bounced back.”

Slayton said Waller and Jones were the catalysts.

“[Waller] got us going a little bit, D.J. got us going a little bit, just pumping energy, guys we lean on as leaders on this team to get us going,” Slayton said.

Jones, on cue, downplayed any words of inspiration he might have relayed as igniting the passing game revival.

“I think we all kind of spoke and had conversations,” Jones said. “I don’t think [Tuesday] was necessarily characteristic of what we’ve been.”

All were in agreement that it was more than merely a mid-August training camp session against another team.

“I think it was important just to come out here, we’ve largely, on offense, had a pretty good camp, as a team we’ve had a good camp, been sharp,” Jones said. “To kind of get back to that and get back to executing like we’ve been was important for us.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants had a bad first day in their Lions scrimmage than apparently good 2nd day.  Be interesting to see this team next week with the Ravens.

I admit I am a bit interested in the Giants because I do think they are this team's closest comp in the division and maybe in the league.  Most of the national media think that team is a clear peg better than this team.  Personally I don't think so.

Waller judging by the NY media is their hero during camp, seems like a lot of their hopes are pinned on him.  I think though just like Jordan Reed was for us back in the day, great player but can he stay healthy?  I think if waller is as good as his teammates, media say he is and he stays healthy -- Giants > Commanders.  But if he doesn't stay healthy I think we will supplant them.

You could compare Waller to Thomas this year. TE's are so important in EB's offense and Thomas is the closest thing we have to a TE that can block (decent) and get RAC.

Waller has only played 2 full seasons out of 7

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You could compare Waller to Thomas this year. TE's are so important in EB's offense and Thomas is the closest thing we have to a TE that can block (decent) and get RAC.

Nobody should count on Thomas, with his injury history.  His one breakout season was almost three years ago now.  It astounds me that the FO did basically nothing to address the TE situation in the offseason, especially in the draft.  TE is almost as big a question mark as the OL is this year.  TE's are an important feature of EB's offense, so I'm particularly shocked that no action was taken this offseason to address this important position of need.

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Apparently our secondary has been killing it and might actually be our best unit.

If Jamin Davis can stop driving like he's living in Grand Theft Auto this D might have a shot at #1 in the league.

This is music to my ears. I'd love to see us eating back there this year, wreaking havoc especially on the NFC East QBs. 💕

Edited by Drfustercluck

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Apparently our secondary has been killing it and might actually be our best unit.

If Jamin Davis can stop driving like he's living in Grand Theft Auto this D might have a shot at #1 in the league.

What stopped us from being in contention for #1 last season was a complete lack of turnovers. Success rate by the D was top tier.

Secondary improving can help that more so than anything Jamin Davis could do.

28 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Nobody should count on Thomas, with his injury history.  His one breakout season was almost three years ago now.  It astounds me that the FO did basically nothing to address the TE situation in the offseason, especially in the draft.  TE is almost as big a question mark as the OL is this year.  TE's are an important feature of EB's offense, so I'm particularly shocked that no action was taken this offseason to address this important position of need.

Agreed. This was one of if not the strongest drafts for TE I can recall and we ignored the position. They decided to hang their hats on Thomas, and a bunch of youts, some whom also had injury concerns last season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed. This was one of if not the strongest drafts for TE I can recall and we ignored the position. They decided to hang their hats on Thomas, and a bunch of youts, some whom also had injury concerns last season.

Don't tell Sip, but his boy LaPorta is supposedly killing it with the 1's in camp. Lions adding him and Gibbs? Jameson back to pair with Amin st Ra (who I wanted to draft), they'll be unstoppable this year.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Waller at his peak is IMO a full peg better than Thomas.   When personnel guys ranked the best players at positions, if I recall they had Waller as the 4th best TE in the league.  Waller at the peak of his powers when he's durable is just as good if not better than Jordan Reed.  Reed never matched Waller's best season.  He has  4.46 speed.  He's a freak.  And I keep reading he's killing it in practice and opening things up for their other receivers -- similar to what Jordan Reed did here.  The X factor is his heath.  But he's better than Thomas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Don't tell Sip, but his boy LaPorta is supposedly killing it with the 1's in camp. Lions adding him and Gibbs? Jameson back to pair with Amin st Ra (who I wanted to draft), they'll be unstoppable this year.

I've been reading that, should be their TE1. I now SIP liked him but I really pushed him and his college teammate Jack Campbell. Thought they were two guys that best fit our team and needs outside of OL

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kincaid, too.  Granted he went in the late first.

But don't worry offense doesn't matter as much in today's NFL.  Look i love Quan Martin, he was one of my favs in the draft, but the vibe I am getting he's going to be a rotational player for a defense that's already really good. 

Stromberg also one of my favorite players in the range we took him.  He also though apparently not in their plans this year.

But I am getting jazzed for the 2025 team. :ols:    For the just be positive crowd, sorry, i am just having fun.    I am positive on the most crucial component for this season and that is Howell.

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I've been reading that, should be their TE1. I now SIP liked him but I really pushed him and his college teammate Jack Campbell. Thought they were two guys that best fit our team and needs outside of OL

Laporta, Stromberg, Pace were the three I liked early before it became cool with the draftniks.  So those are three of my guys so to speak.  Arguably Pace though never became cool.:ols: considering he went undrafted -- good to see he had a big camp.

I saw in a recent mock draft we got Brock Bowers.  Bowers IMO is Kincaid, Laporta, Mayer all in one dude.  If Howell ends up the guy yet the season goes a bit south, and they can get Bowers I'd kill for that.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kincaid, too.  Granrted he went in the late first.

But don't worry offense doesn't matter as much in today's NFL.  Look i love Quan Martin, he was one of my favs in the draft, but the vibe I am getting he's going to be a rotational player for a defense that's already really good. 

Stromberg also one of my favorite players in the range we took him.  He also though apparently not in their plans this year.

But I am getting jazzed for the 2025 team. :ols:    For the just be positive crowd, sorry, i am just having fun.    I am positive on the most crucial component for this season and that is Howell.

Hey now… focus on the fact that our second string is rich in developmental talent!

Starters? Well… we’ll see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This next draft looks ripe for our needs and I hope we can add some day 1/2 picks.

It's a really interesting draft in theory right now.  The 2 Qbs goes first.  I think though one of the give or take other 6 QBs with hype ends up going # 3.

Brock Bowers and Marvin Harrison JR are absolute freaks and if Harris wants to draft a player for a change who also brings the bonus of selling tickets, i think both players fit that mold.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a really interesting draft in theory right now.  The 2 Qbs goes first.  I think though one of the give or take other 6 QBs with hype ends up going # 3.

Brock Bowers and Marvin Harrison JR are absolute freaks and if Harris wants to draft a player for a change who also brings the bonus of selling tickets, i think both players fit that mold.  

I saw a mock with us taking Bowers in the first and Trotter in the second and got pretty excited, but yeah, It looks like there will be 3 QBs in the top 10, 3 OTs, Harrison and Koolaid. maybe Verse and Turner as the top 10 realistically.  Alt and Van Pran would be a nice 1/2 get as well.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Laporta, Stromberg, Pace were the three I liked early before it became cool with the draftniks.  So those are three of my guys so to speak.  Arguably Pace though never became cool.:ols: considering he went undrafted -- good to see he had a big camp.

I saw in a recent mock draft we got Brock Bowers.  Bowers IMO is Kincaid, Laporta, Mayer all in one dude.  If Howell ends up the guy yet the season goes a bit south, and they can get Bowers I'd kill for that.  

You make Bowers sound incredible. I am not sure he has the blocking ability of those guys, especially Mayer but he has a year to grow and learn. He looks much quicker than Mayer and LaPorta also

I likes other over Stromberg, (not that I didn't like him), same with Pace but LaPorta was my favorite TE to match with Howell right away and allow to cut the injury waiting to happen Thomas and give some cap relief. I won't soon get over Pace not getting drafted at all, way better player than most that went in the 6th and 7th rounds in my opinion.