Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Not sure why this reply is aimed at me. I said he hasn’t been worth a second round pick in a trade, so I didn’t understand why people think we could snap our fingers and get a nice return for him. 

So if we can’t trade him for anything worthwhile, the only feasible thing is to play him and see how he does. 

I agree he has been a disappointment. But I also understand that he only played four snaps last night so trying to extrapolate that into a whole season is foolish. 

Then I don't know why this is aimed at you either. Whatever, just come over hear and let me yell at you for no reason.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just listened to Keim's latest podcast after the game.  One interesting nugget is that Keim said that he be really surprised if Holmes doesn't make the team.  They like him a ton as a ST gunner (which makes sense).  That means the DBs seem to be set already:

CB:  Fuller, BSJ, Forbes, Johnson, Holmes

S:  Curl, Forrest, Butler, Reaves, Quan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Just listened to Keim's latest podcast after the game.  One interesting nugget is that Keim said that he be really surprised if Holmes doesn't make the team.  They like him a ton as a ST gunner (which makes sense).  That means the DBs seem to be set already:

CB:  Fuller, BSJ, Forbes, Johnson, Holmes

S:  Curl, Forrest, Butler, Reaves, Quan

I’d be surprised if wildgoose isn’t on the team too - 11 total DB’s. 

Right now, my 53 is:

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):  

Way, Slye, Cheeseburg

OFFENSE (26):

QB (2):  Howell, Brissett

RB (4):  Robinson, Gibson, Rodriguez, Armah

TE (4):  Thomas, Bates, Turner, Hodges, 

WR (5):  Terry, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Pringle

OL (11):  Leno, Paul, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie, Lucas, Larsen, Charles, Stromberg, Daniels, Brooks

DEFENSE (24):

DL (10):  Allen, Payne, Sweat, Young, Mathis, Ridgeway, Obada, JSW, Henry, Toohill

LB (4):  Davis, Barton, Mayo, Hudson

DB (10):  Fuller, Forbes, BSJ, Johnson, Holmes, Curl, Forrest, Butler, Quan, Reaves

Surprise pick is Armah as a FB.  He can play TE too.  We'll need as many blockers as we can.  Pringle has return experience as will be the PR.  Gibson is the KR, but will likely fair catch most of them anyways.  I figure we keep a young RB on the practice squad if injuries arise.  Ron isn't going to cut Daniels.  He was a project 4th rounder.  Daniels & Stromberg are redshirted this year.  Brooks makes it as a priority UDFA.  Toughest cut is Andre Jones.  Maybe he makes it over Armah for example.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 3

Kaz Allen looked really good on kicks and punts.  Hope he makes it. 

Also, just tuned in to the Panthers/Jets game and man are those olines looking bad too.  Maybe it's a thing.  Lol

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't pay for PFF, so I'm just looking at his overall scores for each season and they are:

22 - 63

21 - 67

20 - 55

19 - 67

18 - 66

According to what I looked at he played guard his first 3 years, much more tackle in his last two.  As a pass protector as a TACKLE he was below 60, he was better but not great as a run blocker.  Better overall player as a guard judging by PFF.

If Wylie is going to play guard or pass protection from the right side to keep Howell clean is less important than run blockiing I'd be much more sold.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Right now, my 53 is:

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):  

Way, Slye, Cheeseburg

OFFENSE (26):

QB (2):  Howell, Brissett

RB (4):  Robinson, Gibson, Rodriguez, Armah

TE (4):  Thomas, Bates, Turner, Hodges, 

WR (5):  Terry, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Pringle

OL (11):  Leno, Paul, Gates, Cosmi, Wylie, Lucas, Larsen, Charles, Stromberg, Daniels, Brooks

DEFENSE (24):

DL (10):  Allen, Payne, Sweat, Young, Mathis, Ridgeway, Obada, JSW, Henry, Toohill

LB (4):  Davis, Barton, Mayo, Hudson

DB (10):  Fuller, Forbes, BSJ, Johnson, Holmes, Curl, Forrest, Butler, Quan, Reaves

Surprise pick is Armah as a FB.  He can play TE too.  We'll need as many blockers as we can.  Pringle has return experience as will be the PR.  Gibson is the KR, but will likely fair catch most of them anyways.  I figure we keep a young RB on the practice squad if injuries arise.  Ron isn't going to cut Daniels.  He was a project 4th rounder.  Daniels & Stromberg are redshirted this year.  Brooks makes it as a priority UDFA.  Toughest cut is Andre Jones.  Maybe he makes it over Armah for example.

I think they Keep Kaz Allen over one of these two -  Hodges or Armah.

• Like 3

Sorry if this has been posted tried to do a search. Anyone know where the shuttle picks up at Dulles Town Center? Is it by the bus stop by the macys?  Taking my son tomorrow wasnt sure.

*edit found it - next to regal theaters. 

Edited by Isifhan

6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Then I don't know why this is aimed at you either. Whatever, just come over hear and let me yell at you for no reason.

I didn't know you two were married?

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This is a little off because Rivera took that Saints pick #120 and traded with Panthers for 2 5th's but still, rather productive.

Wow, I didn't realize that was the outcome of that trade.  I just remember being pissed about it instantly and writing in stone how awful it was.

Maybe I should reflect on that nah FTS

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, Baltimore kept their preseason win streak at 24. Will we make it 25 or end their streak?

Who cares about Baltimore and their stupid preseason win streak. I was happy to see that we were the only team in our division that won the 1st preseason game, especially the kind of offseason we had with the sale and all and so much uncertainty, and that to me was way more important. All that said, I want Howell and team to kick their asses on Monday night though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

You guys wanna see moxie??

Just years of muscle memory and work right there.

With a guy hanging onto him, he still set his feet, turned his shoulders and delivered a full body pass.

Madness.

99/100 QBs will try to just arm pass that thing in there, which would result in worse throw.

That was incredible. Its like the most anti-backyard football play that was actually backyard football I've ever seen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Kaz Allen looked really good on kicks and punts.  Hope he makes it. 

Also, just tuned in to the Panthers/Jets game and man are those olines looking bad too.  Maybe it's a thing.  Lol

I think the thing might be O lines not considered that hot following through and playing poorly.  I'll give though both O lines are expected by most to be better than this one.  But neither of those team's O lines are considered anything special on the rankngs I've looked at with the Jets O line expected to be bad.

• Like 1

Paul's not ready yet.  That's probably the main reason why he's behind Charles on the depth chart.  He is going to take longer than the others to recognize the types of pressures they will face, and to make adjustments.

But I can already tell that he's our most talented run blocker.  He is really fast and looks good running.  I wish Nick Gates had his speed.  That missed screen block on Owusu-Koromoah was the demonstration of the limit of Gates's range.  There was no chance he could reach that hard of a block on a linebacker with that kind of speed. It's not hard to smell a rat in that situation either, especially when the C is the only one who stayed at the LoS, so there is no way to keep the LB from getting a quick diagnosis.  But Paul might have gotten there if he'd been at C.

I think we just need to play Paul and hope he can work through his mistakes quickly and learn on the go.

I wonder if the long term plan for Braeden Daniels is at guard or tackle?  He's similar to Paul in athleticism, which seems to suggest a future at guard.  But if we want to have someone who can mirror speedy guys on the outside better, these are probably the two best guys for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Paul's not ready yet.  That's probably the main reason why he's behind Charles on the depth chart.  He is going to take longer than the others to recognize the types of pressures they will face, and to make adjustments.

But I can already tell that he's our most talented run blocker.  He is really fast and looks good running.  I wish Nick Gates had his speed.  That missed screen block on Owusu-Koromoah was the demonstration of the limit of Gates's range.  There was no chance he could reach that hard of a block on a linebacker with that kind of speed. It's not hard to smell a rat in that situation either, especially when the C is the only one who stayed at the LoS, so there is no way to keep the LB from getting a quick diagnosis.  But Paul might have gotten there if he'd been at C.

I think we just need to play Paul and hope he can work through his mistakes quickly and learn on the go.

I wonder if the long term plan for Braeden Daniels is at guard or tackle?  He's similar to Paul in athleticism, which seems to suggest a future at guard.  But if we want to have someone who can mirror speedy guys on the outside better, these are probably the two best guys for that.

They probably signed Gates to be a steady hand at center.  Larsen is the steady backup.  Our season went down the tubes when Larsen got injured last year.  Hopefully a year of strength training and studying allows Stromberg to take the reigns next year.

I'm with you GC.  Give Paul the reps now to see if he can sink or swim.  Having two athletic guards in Cosmi & Paul will improve the run game for sure.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the thing might be O lines not considered that hot following through and playing poorly.  I'll give though both O lines are expected by most to be better than this one.  But neither of those team's O lines are considered anything special on the rankngs I've looked at with the Jets O line expected to be bad.

Sam Monson has an interesting peice that he did back in June and will adjust as camp/season goes on.  Admittedly, he's one that will say more positive things about Commanders (often Junkies guest) - we'll see.  He's got Carolina in the teens and Jets low 20's.  One that sticks out to me is NYG at 29. 😂

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Maybe From doesn’t play. Figure next week will be Sam’s final game until regular season. I figure Sam plays a half and Jacoby the second half. The the finale sees From and Brissett play.

I doubt Brissett plays at all the final preseason game. That will be guys about to be cut and some bubble guys competing for the last couple of roster spots and for the practice squad.