Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While “great” seems to be a stretch, I can at least somewhat see where he’s coming from.  Lucas and Larsen (aside from the latter’s injuries) have been good depth players for us.  We now we have a dedicated center in the 3rd spot (over Schweitzer, who hadn’t played much at center).  At guard depth, we have whoever loses out in the LG competition, and Wylie and Gates can move to guard as they 1) have experience at the position and 2) might be better suited in that spot than their current spots.  Of course, if Cosmi pans out (I think it’s a good move for him, but its an adjustment and he’s had a fair few injuries), then its probably going to be a drop off from him to whoever.

To me, the bigger issue is I don’t know that we’ve upgraded the starters at LG, C or RT… which is a serious problem considering how poor our oline fared last year.  And of course, if they wound up moving Wylie or Gates, they’re disrupting more than one position.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim also Stromberg has played with the 1's, 2's and 3's.  He said they seem him a pure center and not a center-guard.  I agree with that but I got no issue with that.  to me Stromberg is a center not a guard. 

My guess is that they view him as a center only for now.  During the draft, Rivera mentioned he could play both spots and I doubt a dozen (or whatever) practices has changed that view.  So I presume (at least for now), they think he’d need to get stronger and develop to (potentially) handle guard duties.

Sidenote - obviously unlikely, but how ironic would it be if Ron were to get canned (in large part due to oline issues), and next year Paul, Stromberg, Cosmi and Daniels were starting?

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

While “great” seems to be a stretch, I can at least somewhat see where he’s coming from.  Lucas and Larsen (aside from the latter’s injuries) have been good depth players for us.  We now we have a dedicated center in the 3rd spot (over Schweitzer, who hadn’t played much at center).  At guard depth, we have whoever loses out in the LG competition, and Wylie and Gates can move to guard as they 1) have experience at the position and 2) might be better suited in that spot than their current spots.  Of course, if Cosmi pans out (I think it’s a good move for him, but its an adjustment and he’s had a fair few injuries), then its probably going to be a drop off from him to whoever.

To me, the bigger issue is I don’t know that we’ve upgraded the starters at LG, C or RT… which is a serious problem considering how poor our oline fared last year.  And of course, if they wound up moving Wylie or Gates, they’re disrupting more than one position.

Ironically Keim delved into it in his last podcast, he came off as someone who didn't like it.  Neither do I at guard.    Larsen at guard?  Not sure.   Stromberg they see as a center and I agree with them on that.  Daniels is young and a bit undersized and seems to be stuggiling. 

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My guess is that they view him as a center only for now.  During the draft, Rivera mentioned he could play both spots and I doubt a dozen (or whatever) practices has changed that view.  So I presume (at least for now), they think he’d need to get stronger and develop to (potentially) handle guard duties.

Maybe.  I spent a lot of time on Stromberg, he was one of my draft man crushes.  He struck me more a natural center than a guard.  For example, Tippman to me looked like a guard-center, could play either spot.  Stromberg's skill set, especially his combo blocking, snaps-smarts, seem to fit center better than guard.   I am sure in a pinch he could play guard but IMHO its not likely his natural spot.

I don't take Ron's rhetoric that seriously anymore.  What he says publicly and what happens are often too different things.  So I take Keim's here is what they think privately comments much more seriously than what Ron said months ago.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Made the 7 hour drive back from Topsail Beach this morning and listened to 106.7 on Audacy the entire way.  From the junkies guests, to BMitch and Finlay and their guests - the dominating conversation was how bad the OL has been in camp.  

Nobody was partying about it or leveraging for an “I told you so”.  It was really sobering, and quite depressing actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yeah - in my defense I was joking.

You’re right that he was unlikely to say ‘Our depth sucks and we are in huge trouble if we get an injury’. But he could have said something like ‘We are always looking for ways to get better and improve the roster - I like the guys we have but if someone becomes available that we think improves us we would obviously look at that’. 

I honestly don't think Ron cares enough about talking to reporters to think about his answers with the amount of thought you put into that answer. It's less coach speak and more Roneese. Which is "say whatever I'm thinking at that exact moment in time without a lot of thought about 2 seconds from now." 

I'm positive if somebody came available, they would look into signing them.  

Ron just says stuff.  A lot of it doesn't make a lot of sense.  

• Like 1

I wish Jamin Davis' lawyers had advised him to serve his time - either the full month sentence or a stiffer plea deal.  Anything now is going to be in the season.  

So, what's the deal with Quan Martin?  2nd round pick and they don't have a defined role for him yet?  Seems like a jack-of-all trades developmental player.  I'd rather they had a defined role out of the gate and add-on later.  Is that too much to ask for a 2nd round pick?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I wish Jamin Davis' lawyers had advised him to serve his time - either the full month sentence 

So, what's the deal with Quan Martin?  2nd round pick and they don't have a defined role for him yet?  Seems like a jack-of-all trades developmental player.  I'd rather they had a defined role out of the gate and add-on later.  Is that too much to ask for a 2nd round pick?  

Kinda par for the course with many of our draft picks.....no defined role.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Kinda par for the course with many of our draft picks.....no defined role.

There's some quality players at both positions ahead of him. We have the luxury to mix/match see where he fits best and where our need arises. Quan will get plenty of reps

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Y'all crazy if you think Harris isn't playing 4D chess with this franchise and it's future.

Theoretical physicists believe math shows the possibilities of a fourth dimension, but there's no actual evidence

I had no idea Harris was smarter than a theoretical physicist. Must be a night and day difference, eh. 

1. I don’t believe Rivera’s OL non sense. I do believe he wants to believe his own BS, though, because it looks bad if the OL winds up as bad as it has looked at times.

2. Stromberg is a center. Nothing else to add. He’s not a guard. 

3. I know the D is an afterthought because they’ve looked overall dominant, but our lack of linebackers is going to be an issue moving forward. Barton being injured adds to the nerves there.

4. I am excited to see how the receivers and Howell look when there is time to throw.

5. Healthy Robinson is exciting. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1. I don’t believe Rivera’s OL non sense. I do believe he wants to believe his own BS, though, because it looks bad if the OL winds up as bad as it has looked at times.

3. I know the D is an afterthought because they’ve looked overall dominant, but our lack of linebackers is going to be an issue moving forward. Barton being injured adds to the nerves there.

4. I am excited to see how the receivers and Howell look when there is time to throw.

5. Healthy Robinson is exciting. 

Apparently Barton was healthy enough to throw a punch today during the ruckus, if you find that kinda thing encouraging.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Outside of QB - OL, LB and TE continue to the worrisome positions

They initially made comments of Strom possibly at G. I don't see it and he best just work on C so we can use him.

I don't recall any conversations of Larsen at G over the past two years. Now they are saying he might be able to. That feels like nervous talk....rightfully nervous.

While the big push for "FLEX" sounds like a great idea, I wish we had serious starters all positions even if they can only play one position, Have a couple backups that can flex. 

We have 2 backup C's that are C's only. 

At LB - Barton injured, Davis decision making/legal issues, Hudson struggling in coverage and Mayo...

At TE - Thomas and Hodges dinged 

My gut is we will see a move bringing in a starter quality player by trade or signing. Hoping it's a OL.

At QB- I like Howell and Brisket. I still can't stand our QB3 situation, especially with such a questionable OL. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Outside of QB - OL, LB and TE continue to the worrisome positions

They initially made comments of Strom possibly at G. I don't see it and he best just work on C so we can use him.

I don't recall any conversations of Larsen at G over the past two years. Now they are saying he might be able to. That feels like nervous talk....rightfully nervous.

While the big push for "FLEX" sounds like a great idea, I wish we had serious starters all positions even if they can only play one position, Have a couple backups that can flex. 

We have 2 backup C's that are C's only. 

At LB - Barton injured, Davis decision making/legal issues, Hudson struggling in coverage and Mayo...

At TE - Thomas and Hodges dinged 

My gut is we will see a move bringing in a starter quality player by trade or signing. Hoping it's a OL.

At QB- I like Howell and Brisket. I still can't stand our QB3 situation, especially with such a questionable OL. 

The league is starved for QBs.  Denucchi is likely going to be Denver's QB3.  No one has depth at that position.

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The league is starved for QBs.  Denucchi is likely going to be Denver's QB3.  No one has depth at that position.

True but they made no effort to better the position, Fromm sucks and always has. He has been here since October. They had options

Edited by DWinzit

33 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Apparently Barton was healthy enough to throw a punch today during the ruckus, if you find that kinda thing encouraging.

Oh thank God. Our new LB getting in fights with another new guy while injured is high on my “must have” list.

I retract any concerns with our LB corps. On the heels of this information.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh thank God. Our new LB getting in fights with another new guy while injured is high on my “must have” list.

I retract any concerns with our LB corps. On the heels of this information.

Ask for a LB who can flex as a "box" safety, and this is what you get. What are your other 2 wishes?

edit: after Gates dishing out a  "centerpunch" you only have one wish left

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A dude, me, @Going Commando, @KDawg among others really liked a lot.  The Browns already had a great O line last year.  One can dream about it coming here. :ols:

He was my favorite OL in the class, maybe my favorite player period.  I wanted us to draft him more than anyone else, but he turned us down.  Canceling his top 30 visit was a pretty clear signal he didn't want to be here, and I'm not sure what we could have done differently after that.  It's a bad way to start off your career somewhere, and Ron doesn't work well with stubborn players.

I think there were a lot of misunderstandings about Dawand in the pre draft process though, and some stuff was widely spread about him that could end up being slanderous.  But I do think he got hurt during the off-season, gained weight, and then tried to hide both the injury and weight gain by shutting it down.  I was worried about him staying so close to home with his NFL team, feeling like he might need a fresh start/wake up call to go play in like California.  But maybe the opposite will end up being true and he'll benefit from having his people around him in the NFL.

I would have picked him over Stromberg though.  I probably would have picked him at 47.  Stromberg would have still been there at 114 anyway, and Dawand could have started at RT for us as a rookie.

• Like 1