Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

2 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I have been somewhat following the other corners we could have drafted at 16.  Christian Gonzalez is doing well in Patriots camp, Deonte Banks is struggling in Giants camp, and Porter is somewhere in between in Steelers camp.

Everyone had different opinions on the corners but imo Banks was overdrafted. I think the current padless training camp environment really suits Gonzalez. I'm skeptical of him playing as well in preseason or joint padded practices though. I think Gonzalez is more smooth athlete than football player.

Curious about how Porter has been struggling. I really wanted to draft him.

Btw, for our own set of DB's...is Quan stuck at Safety just to get him into fully knowing that portion of the playbook and scheme? Cause he should be a Nickel DB. Someone let me know if the coaches actually try and have him play his college position of Nickel. I've heard John Keim thinks Quan is playing well but Ben Standing doesn't?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're ****ing bonkers if you think that our offense isn't going to take a ton of 3rd level shots.

Howell has a canon of an arm and we have 4 WRs that excel getting down field and fast.

It'd be bonkers not to see that coming.

They have a weak OL, a young QB and an OC who loves the quick throws.  We'll see who is bonkers in September, I predict this offense will be loaded with quick throws, even more so than the rest of the league who has gone this boring ass route.    

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

They have a weak OL, a young QB and an OC who loves the quick throws.  We'll see who is bonkers in September, I predict this offense will be loaded with quick throws, even more so than the rest of the league who has gone this boring ass route.    

I'm sure there will be a lot of that, but the deep stuff is what's going to open that up.

And hey, I'm not a fan of the forward pass. I like the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses, so I get the old school thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bieinemy is the star of our camp arguably.  I follow a lot of NY reporters and for Giants camp their star seems to be Waller.  If Waller ends up healthy, and that's a big if, he's a handful. 

Waller is going to kill us this year.  I was pissed that the Giants got him so cheaply and was frustrated when I look at our TE group that we let that happen.  

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure there will be a lot of that, but the deep stuff is what's going to open that up.

And hey, I'm not a fan of the forward pass. I like the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses, so I get the old school thing.

You said I was bonkers to believe they won't take a TON (your word) of 3rd level shots. I respectfully disagree.  Would you with Lucas and Wylie protecting the edges and a young QB whose confidence could be shaken?  I sure wouldn't.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Plenty of bombs happen on roll outs which takes pressure off the line

• Like 2

@Always A Commander Never A Captain From what I understand Kiem loves both Quan and BSJ in camp this year. Good problems to have given Forbes on on side and apparently Fuller is still steady.( nothing postive or negative about his play)

Given the inevitable injury at corner or safety it should all work out and it's also early in camp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

It also eliminates 1/2 of the field and limits the QB's options. The rollout is a wrinkle, it's not a mainstay of any offense.  The bottom line to me is they have a weak OL and a young QB, that is not a recipe for success in a 7 step drop.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Waller is going to kill us this year.  I was pissed that the Giants got him so cheaply and was frustrated when I look at our TE group that we let that happen.  

I think we're going to be OK.  I'm confident in our ability to cover the middle of the field and also match up with tight ends in man.  Juice and Quan are the most talented and promising slot defenders we've had since I can remember, Curl and Forrest are really good players, and Jamin has huge range.  The middle of our defense is one of the best parts of our team now.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You said I was bonkers to believe they won't take a TON (your word) of 3rd level shots. I respectfully disagree.  Would you with Lucas and Wylie protecting the edges and a young QB whose confidence could be shaken?  I sure wouldn't.  

Jesus you’ve already gone and assumed Leno is going to be hurt? 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It’s Leno, but Lucas, but whatever.

There are a lot of ways to slow down the pass rush in order to take shots rather than a 7 step drop.  

there will be downfield shots.

Im just hoping the Josh Harris ownership change is an exorcism of the running on first down a ton + run on second after an incomplete pass on first down.  

If those things come true, I’ll be a happy camper.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrJL said:

‘Plenty’ is a stretch. Most designed deep pass attempts come off play action and from within the tackle box. 

Deep attempts on broken plays after the QB is flushed and outside the pocket are probably more common than a designed deep shot off a roll out. Throwing deep on the move takes a strong arm (which Howell has to be fair) and even then it’s not easy to maintain accuracy down the field throwing on the move.

If you mean a designed half roll or the old Joe Gibbs sprint out with the QB setting up with designed protection, that seems to have gone out of fashion - I may be spacing here but I don’t recall seeing much of that being run anymore. I think modern edge defenders and box safeties are just too fast and react too quickly for that kind of play to work on a regular basis.

Only Hurts threw more passes off RPO than Mahomes last season and only 3 QBs had more passing yards off play action than Mahomes. While Howell is clearly not Mahomes the influence on EB of how Reid put his offense together will be there. I think we are going to see a ton of RPO and a bunch of our passing attempts will come from that combined with true inside and outside zone and play action off those runs. Add in a heavy dose of the screen game and a desire to get the backs involved in the passing game generally.

The deep game is likely going to come off the play action and I’m not expecting a ton of attempts. Staying out of 3rd and long and obvious passing situations as much as possible is obviously key - that’s where the O Line could well be exposed.

• Like 3

Little tidbit on The Junkies this morning was that Logan Thomas stayed down at the TE University for a few weeks to work out with George Kittle. 

Sam Fortier was also on to say he is really optimistic about Thomas, looks more explosive and springy referenced his seam catches.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Little tidbit on The Junkies this morning was that Logan Thomas stayed down at the TE University for a few weeks to work out with George Kittle. 

Sam Fortier was also on to say he is really optimistic about Thomas, looks more explosive and springy referenced his seam catches.

Cole Turner attended as well! He looks to also be a big part of EB's plans for 2023.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 7

I hate talking about players based on what other people say, I like to make my own mind. So I just watched Wylie, 2 games, did it like I would a draft prospect.    I am an amatuer at it so anyone of course feel free to ignore.   I don't think O lineman are that hard to do basic evaluations, with the emphasis on the word basic -- because its not hard to see if they win or lose on a play.   Also easy to see how physical and athletic a player is or not. 

And if you watch a bunch of players like that it becomes easier over time to do it apples to apples to previous players watched.   And those points apply to anyone here who took the time to watch.   Regardless, i won't be offended if anyone discards my take.  I get it.  But for those interested here's my quick take.  

IMHO He's sort of an odd duck player from those viewings compared to the draft prospects I've watched.  His technqiue looks really sound.  Shoulders squared and aligned well with his feet -- nicely mirrors the pass rusher.  He doesn't lose leverage much.  The pass rushers don't get to his outside shoulder that easily.  He seems to have a good rthymn with his hands-punches per @wit33 mentioned.  When he wins, it looks like he should win versus some players who can look sloppy and yet win anyway.  

But he loses more than I'd like in pass protect.  I screen shoted some of the pressures-sacks.  I was going to post it but I am holding back unless someone wants me to -- because it would be a long post with all those clips.  I ignored the pressues-sacks that Mahomes basically walked into.  But on that front, I'll say there were plenty that Mahomes had nothing to do with, he just got beat. 

In short, to my eyes he's mostly solid to good until he's not.  That's the odd thing about him conpared to other O lineman I've watched,  Best analogy I can think of is baseball. He's like a pitcher to my eyes who seems to be solid but when he gives up a hit, its a homerun and he gives up too many homeruns but its not ugly at all in between the homeruns, its smooth sailing mostly but at the end of the day he gave up too many runs but did so where its not an ugly ride. 

He had a lot of consistently good reps.  Mirrors well, uses his hands well.  And then it just falls apart.  Crosby was a handful for him, I get that he's killer good.  But Hubbard from the Bengals also beat him more than I'd like. 

The Chiefs are really good at using their RBs to chip, they will take off and chip without breaking stride much and just keep running and get open.  So I presume we see that here.  On the right side, often the strong side, they sort of clutter the field with a RB or TE or both and they bunch them up in a traingle which makes it difficult at times for the pass rusher I presume to see an easy pass rushing lane.

Logan Paulsen thinks he's mostly vulnerable to power rushers.  From those two games, I think he is vulnerable to counters and speed or power.  You can set him up on previous plays with bull rushes and then for example change it up with a spin move around him to the inside.  I think he will be solid against OK pass rushers and struggle against good pass rushers of all types with good counters -- power and speed.  He's agile but he's not super fast coming out of his stance.  Not slow either.  B level quickness IMO. 

As a run blocker he moves well, B level speed not A level, and typically finds I presume his right assignment as to the defender to block.  He's not really that physical in the run game though.  He gets in front of the defender but doesn't move them much with some exceptions.  I think that's why he gets OK ratings but nothing killer for the run game from the infamous PFF. :ols:

In the run game, he often sort of lounges at the defender.  It usually though is enough to do the job.  He's not for example like Mauch who some from the draft thread remember where when he's on the move blocking wide zone, 2nd level blocks, etc, he can pancake the guy and its a fun watch.  Or some here am sure recall Scherff is good at it, too. Wylie is not typically a people mover when he's blocking in space.

I like his general hustle in how he plays.  He's not lazy.  Doesn't take off plays.  Loved how he worked to chase down a fumble. He didn't get the ball but was aware when the ball got loose and darted towards it immediately.  Some of our players sometimes seem a bit slow and behind on loose balls.  

Overall, I think he's likely a better guard just like his rep.  If he's in a phone both, its tougher to use space to slip by him which happens more than I'd like at tackle.  Plus he's good at mirroring and staying square, I think that works even better inside.  So my takeaway, I think he'd acftually be an above average guard.  But he's IMO a so so tackle who likely will play well against mediocre pass rushers but will struggle against good ones.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7