Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Turner is more likely to be the breakout TE than Bates. Bates is a solid #2/blocking TE but I don't see much of a receiving threat. He has no real explosiveness or wiggle.

Agreed. He's an ox to the Turner gazelle. I like the change of pace both bring to the offense. 

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Admittedly, I could be way off base here, but this ^ is probably the biggest area I’ve thought so many of the “details” EB has been harping on come in.  Each player has to sell the fakes, run the motions just so, contact a defender in a certain way at a certain time, come off their guy to get to the second level, etc.  I buy the notion that lack of athleticism on the oline played a part in our terrible screen game, but I tend to think the details (and lack of attention to them) matter more.

Of course, having these kind of plays as part of your bread and butter, vs a play you sprinkle in here and there probably has a big impact.

oh, many if that's something he loves, then I have way less confidence in this season.  I can never remember us being good at screens, under any coach

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron actually praised the OL in the presser yesterday saying it was good to see them improve.  

I wonder if there is a tipping point where if they see the OL can’t do it, they start brining guys in.  Or looking for trades, or whatever. 

I don’t think they can wait until roster cuts to being guys in.  So if they think the OL won’t get there, I wonder when they realize that.  Assuming they come to that conclusion….

I’ll post much more later. On the bus now headed back.

O line didn’t look hot. They didn’t have though the starting D line play the O line much but when they did, yikes 

On a sidebar, Gates has to learn he’s not snapping to Daniel Jones. Howell is shortish. One snap where Howell had to leap to catch it and in turn it defeated the play. Another where he snapped the ball over Howell’s head 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Turner is more likely to be the breakout TE than Bates. Bates is a solid #2/blocking TE but I don't see much of a receiving threat. He has no real explosiveness or wiggle.

Bates and Hodges are my best guess. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I fully expect a season of quick 1 and 3 step drops and short throws to protect the OL and the young QB.  I am prepared for a really boring offense but I guess it's necessary.  

The Chiefs offense is never boring, maybe thats cause they have Mahomes but hopefully we see the same exciting offense here with EB in town.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

O line didn’t look hot. They didn’t have though the starting D line play the O line much but when they did, yikes 

On a sidebar, Gates has to learn he’s not snapping to Daniel Jones. Howell is shortish. One snap where Howell had to leap to catch it and in turn it defeated the play. Another where he snapped the ball over Howell’s head 

Well that’s not great.  Here’s hoping that’s a product of PTSD due to Allen lining up across from him, lol.  

These next few weeks are going to be interesting for the oline - seems like a legitimate chance that some of the backups could overtake the penciled in starters (Charles, Gates and Wylie).  

I seem to recall they did a ton of cross-training with olinemen under Matsko… anyone know if that is still in effect?

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I still think our best line is Leno, Gates, Larson, Wylie, Lucas.

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I always wonder how well the taller centers will do both snapping and if the DL can get under and move/push them around. 

Now add in he doesn't have a long history at Center mainly snapping to a guy 4+ taller than his new QB. Wonder how tough it is to transition with large height changes like that. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think he needs to stay healthy. He can jump in all over the place and would make an awesome 6th man for the line.

Agree with both points for sure, but I also feel like he just might be our best olineman, particularly if the move inside alleviates his struggles against more athletic pass rushers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Agree with both points for sure, but I also feel like he just might be our best olineman, particularly if the move inside alleviates his struggles against more athletic pass rushers.

I worry about his health. Another year of conditioning wouldn't kill him.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, health issues loom large for him for sure.  Personally, I’m not putting on the bench because I’m worried about his health… though I’d certainly be doing my utmost to make sure I had quality depth behind him.

Edit:  I know I’m spoiled (and lazy), but seems like we’re awfully short on TC tweets…

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He is coming off a thumb and ankle from last year. Isn't he 100% and ready to go at this point?

If they believe in Cosmi and Charles I think they need them in the mix as much as possible now to evaluate and let them get their reps, proving themselves worthy as starters. 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron said in a presser yesterday he and Sam basically spent the whole off season together.  

That has to help. He has the tools.  In a better scheme with (hopefully) better QB play, he should be much more productive.

If he could get to 40 catches for the season,  which is between 2-3 a game, that would do wonders for the variety of the offense.  

Just give teams something else to think about.

Plus they played together in college and that is also a plus. 

27 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's like 5 snaps a game. That's a clear bust for 3rd year of a 2nd rounder. Brutal.

5 snaps a game if nobody ever gets injured. I didn't say that he would never start or be a long term starter. You kind of went to 100 pretty quick with the assumption.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He is coming off a thumb and ankle from last year. Isn't he 100% and ready to go at this point?

If they believe in Cosmi and Charles I think they need them in the mix as much as possible now to evaluate and let them get their reps, proving themselves worthy as starters. 

I suppose. The best 5 should start for sure. When Cosmi gets injured, then Wylie has to slide inside and Lucas then starts and you've changed two positions. When Charles gets injured or sucks, Gates has to slide and Larson starts, change two positions. I'd just rather avoid that.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

5 snaps a game if nobody ever gets injured. I didn't say that he would never start or be a long term starter. You kind of went to 100 pretty quick with the assumption.

I suppose. The best 5 should start for sure. When Cosmi gets injured, then Wylie has to slide inside and Lucas then starts and you've changed two positions. When Charles gets injured or sucks, Gates has to slide and Larson starts, change two positions. I'd just rather avoid that.

It sounds like your playing scared or super-cautious. I am not a fan. You do that and Gates or Larsen or Wylie gets injured, then you get a shuffle and Cosmi or Charles has to move in to a position they haven't had much game play in. I don't know if Charles can be a starter but I am a believer in Cosmi at G.

Just now, DWinzit said:

It sounds like your playing scared or super-cautious. I am not a fan. You do that and Gates or Larsen or Wylie gets injured, then you get a shuffle and Cosmi or Charles has to move in to a position they haven't had much game play in. I don't know if Charles can be a starter but I am a believer in Cosmi at G.

I like Cosmis talent, but outside of that I'm not high on anyone on our line at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Cosmis talent, but outside of that I'm not high on anyone on our line at all.

It's hard to argue that. Leno is solid, Lucas, Wylie and Gates are decent, Cosmi has a lot of talent.

That's what I see with a bunch of guys that have potential, mostly not ready for prime time yet. 

And that's why I think Cosmi needs to be starting, his talent level, we need him as a starter

Edited by DWinzit
added last sentence

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Time from the STROMman argument!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2