Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

40 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Thanks for posting your observations. I always enjoy reading them. I'll be more interested once the pads come on. I think that's when you get a better sense of the team.

Thanks. I think the big test is clearly the Ravens scrimmage. If the O line gets blown up then I wonder in a must win season for Ron how they’d respond to that. 

My fear is this division has some mighty D lines. Yes ours is formidable but so are the others.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

42 minutes ago, MrJL said:

it is amazing how bad people say Wylie is, when on a Chiefs team that had been in three of the last four Super Bowls with two wins, they always found a place for him

Don’t know yet if he’s good or bad. 

But speaking for myself, the Chiefs stuff doesn’t move me. He gave up 9 sacks last year and a ton of pressures and it looks like they didn’t even try to keep him this off season. 

Been said by some of the Chief reporters that he was the weak link on that unit and that’s also with him getting major help with chips.

Every team has weaknesses even the Chiefs. 

Having said that Wylie might be fine. Mahomes moved a lot to the right and that likely added to the large number of pressures and sacks he gave up. 

But it has caught my attention that in three different podcasts Logan Paulsen has voiced various concerns about Wylie.  He does it politely but that’s his style. And Logan is definitely a lean on the bright side analyst.

Logan in the past speculated about Wylie at guard. Wylie has played plenty of guard including for the Chiefs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

So we really really hoping Travelle Wharton is one hell of an o line coach then? 🤞🤣🤞

What another epic debacle on Ron.

He delayed and delayed a hire… and then just promoted the in-house assistant. All these years in the NFL… and it seems like he’s never really developed much of a network.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Die Hard said:

He delayed and delayed a hire… and then just promoted the in-house assistant. All these years in the NFL… and it seems like he’s never really developed much of a network.

Well at least he didn't hire so 75yo former OL coach he knew back in Philly 25 years ago.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Honestly I think he said he couldn’t hire anybody until the deal was either done or very close to it.  

The change in ownership has had a lot of consequences on this off season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too. Everything else is a minor deal. Am not optimistic about this season. I think they end up mediocre. But 2024 I expect big things. But overall we have a shot now. With Dan we never had a real shot. 

I agree. If the previous owner still owned the team, the doom and gloom would never end so it would it would be impossible to feel optimistic. With the Harris group, the dark cloud has been lifted and better days are ahead. I have no doubt about that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Any scenario where Wylie winds up at guard is an epic fail and probably contributes to a bad season.

Disagree - he’s probably a better guard than tackle. Though it probably takes an injury or two for it to happen, so you may be right.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C. Howell up close looks short. Not that different from Heinicke. He also doesn’t look as thick as he did in the past which might help his speed but makes me worry about injuries if he gets hit 

On the field he looked pretty sharp on Thursday.  But yeah, my first thought as he was ushered by me from close range is he looked pretty small, just a smidge bigger than TH.

• Like 1

Lucas is slow.  Our outside run and screen game will suffer again if he starts at tackle.  We're shuffling in four new players on our starting OL and it's the third day of camp.  Of course they will get smoked by the best DL in the league.  They are gonna need a lot of time to come together.

Watch the way the guards played in that Chiefs offense from the SB.  It's all difficult reach and movement blocks in the run and screen game.  We've got to play Cosmi and Charles and Paul there, they are the guys with the speed to do that kind of blocking for us.  They have the most difficult roles in our new run game, and we need our best athletes on the line there.  Gates is too slow for it, and Wylie is probably better outside. You only kick him inside if our guards go down IMO, as he'd be the only athlete left able to play guard without changing the run game on the fly, or else we've probably gotta start Stromberg before he's ready.

IMO Chris Paul's best position could be RT, but we will only be able to play him there if Charles and Cosmi are rocks at the guard spots.  None of us think that's likely.  But I don't think we're that far away from improving the line significantly.  One Trey Smith type addition at guard could do it.  Then suddenly a Leno/Smith/Stromberg/Cosmi/Wylie or Paul line doesn't sound so bad.  Even better if you can eventually upgrade Leno with a good young tackle.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It brings warmth to my heart to see the fans back.

It doesn’t have to be boring if it’s efficient.  

And if it gets guys open to make yards in space.

Jerry Rice probably caught 1/3 of his passes within 7 yards of the LOS.  

It's a personal preference and personally I hate how the game of football is played today.  I'm a fan of the offenses like the Greatest Show on Turf, the Saints with Brees. Teams that took shots and constantly threw it downfield.   The 18 yard square in to Isaac Bruce was a beautiful thing, as it was with Gus Frerotte to Henry Ellard. That play has pretty much vanished from the football landscape.  While it's true of Jerry Rice he obviously also made a lot of plays downfield. These 5 yard passes all game long that we see today bores the crap out of me.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's a personal preference and personally I hate how the game of football is played today.  I'm a fan of the offenses like the Greatest Show on Turf, the Saints with Brees. Teams that took shots and constantly threw it downfield.   The 18 yard square in to Isaac Bruce was a beautiful thing, as it was with Gus Frerotte to Henry Ellard. That play has pretty much vanished from the football landscape.  While it's true of Jerry Rice he obviously also made a lot of plays downfield. These 5 yard passes all game long that we see today bores the crap out of me.  

You're ****ing bonkers if you think that our offense isn't going to take a ton of 3rd level shots.

Howell has a canon of an arm and we have 4 WRs that excel getting down field and fast.

It'd be bonkers not to see that coming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're ****ing bonkers if you think that our offense isn't going to take a ton of 3rd level shots.

Howell has a canon of an arm and we have 4 WRs that excel getting down field and fast.

It'd be bonkers not to see that coming.

Agreed, if Howell gets any protection, defenses are going to need to be ready for the ball going at any and all levels. And then there's his mobility :) 

Can't wait, such a difference from that weenie armed dude that moved to Atlanta.