Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Still lean trade down at this point. The value of the number 2 pick is so high. I just don’t love any of these quarterbacks yet. Would much rather have 2 extra first round picks from Vikings or Raiders and BPA. 

We might be on an island on this one Otis, but I am coming around to this idea. 

Trade down.

Esp if you have Nix/Penix/McCarthy really close in grade to the highly ranked QBs.

We also dont know how ownership and new staff that isnt even here yet view Howell.  I know most people think he is cooked, but what if the org feels differently?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

My Rate

1.Mahomes

2.Josh Allen

3.Herbert

4.Burrow

5. Stroud

Do you understand that he’s ranking the players as prospects coming out of college, without (much) hindsight?

Your list has nothing to do with that, you obviously didn’t feel this way about these guys when they were incoming rookies. 

• Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, illone said:

I feel like this is a bad faith argument as nobody had Mahomes in the top 5 when he was drafted.  In fact, many people called him a reach at 10 and had him mocked in the middle of the first round, certainly not 10th overall.

It's easy to put him there now, but he was NOT a better prospect than the other guys listed...

Are you simply listing your top 5 NFL qbs?

Agreed.  this is clickbait more than anything. McShay seems kinda lazy with this one...

I was just ranking them who I like. My screw up.  

Congratulations for not having any busts to list. 

My Rate

1.Mahomes

2.Josh Allen

3.Herbert

4.Burrow

5. Stroud

There is negative chance you had Mahomes and Allen rated that high coming out. Or even Herbert.

41 minutes ago, illone said:

Is that posted in this thread somewhere?  I'd be interested in checking that out...

Yup.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

There is negative chance you had Mahomes and Allen rated that high coming out. Or even Herbert.

True, I posted above, my mistake was just ranking them not pre draft. 

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

True, I posted above, my mistake was just ranking them not pre draft. 

I have never rated them, I just go with who I like. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, illone said:

Trade down.

Esp if you have Nix/Penix/McCarthy really close in grade to the highly ranked QBs.

We also dont know how ownership and new staff that isnt even here yet view Howell.  I know most people think he is cooked, but what if the org feels differently?

I think I would legit cry if go anywhere near that pretentious meditating tiktok noodle ass haircut Duke basketball looking dork McCarthy  

• Haha 4

I'd be lying if i said i pushed Mahomes on the draft thread back then.  I wasn't out on him though.  My main memory about him ironically was bringing up that he has high end talent but is raw as heck.  I recall GHH who was a regular back then, goofed on me using the word raw saying raw doesn't do enough justice as to how far he has to come. 

But yeah in general with the power of highsight, all these QBs are elevated like Mahomes and Herbert, etc but in real time they got very little love here.

I was just ranking them who I like. My screw up.  

Congratulations for not having any busts to list. 

No harm no foul dude. It was a red challenge flag, not the yellow penalty flag.

Carry on!

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, illone said:

Trade down.

I too am leaning towards taking the King's ransome of picks and trading back IF, IF, IF, the new GM thinks this group of QB's is too close to call or he really likes someone outside of the top 3 guys (Williams, Maye, Daniels). The offer would have to be three 1sts and at least a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year. We then take a QB with our 2nd pick this draft and the best LT or the best available with our 1st pick. That leaves us with three 2nds this year, two thirds, two 1sts in 2025 and two 1sts in 2026 to play with. To me that haul outweighs taking a QB at #2 this year. If need be we can trade up and go QB next year or the following year given our assets. It's not a popluar opinion but I'm in agreement with you.

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Fashanu on the Titans? I was about to complain, but Vrabel and Derrick Henry are gone, so there goes the smash mouth gameplan that Fashanu would struggle with. Roll the dice with Will Levis for another year? They need OT help worse than we do, but they also badly need weapons for Will Levis. Hopkins will be 32 and in the last year of his deal, after that it's barren. There's no young WR talent on that team.

Titans and Giants are two teams that pick near us, that should echo a lot of what we're trying to search for in the draft. We're going to be competing for the same guys in the 2nd round.

22 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I too am leaning towards taking the King's ransome of picks and trading back IF, IF, IF, the new GM thinks this group of QB's is too close to call or he really likes someone outside of the top 3 guys (Williams, Maye, Daniels). The offer would have to be three 1sts and at least a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year. We then take a QB with our 2nd pick this draft and the best LT or the best available with our 1st pick. That leaves us with three 2nds this year, two thirds, two 1sts in 2025 and two 1sts in 2026 to play with. To me that haul outweighs taking a QB at #2 this year. If need be we can trade up and go QB next year or the following year given our assets. It's not a popluar opinion but I'm in agreement with you.

Basically, you want a Trey Lance-like haul. It will depend if the value chart merits it depending on who trades up. 

For the record, I'm leaning towards getting as many picks as possible in a trade down scenario, rolling with Howell for one more season, and then using the draft capital to move up in 2025 if he's not our guy. I know I sound crazy based on how the season ended, but the coaching/OL issues were just so bad for him that I have a hard time not thinking that had a lot to do with his unravelling as the season progressed.

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Exactly!  I know alot of fans expect a quick turnaround a la the Texans this year, but I am trying to temper my expectations as this team was ravaged by horrible personnel decisions for years. I suspect it might take more than one draft to plug all the holes in this team.  Sure a QB can accelerate things, but unless I can get CW I might consider one of the 2nd tier guys, open up a true Qb competition with Howell and draft other areas of need.  If we stink again which is entirely possible, target Sanders or Milroe in next years draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

God. Giving Justin Herbert Brock Bowers just doesn't seem fair. 

KDawg, I think my gut on Drake Maye is about what yours is. But, the scouts all seem to love him a lot more than most on the board do. And my gut sucks. I thought Josh Allen would suck. Had no confidence in Justin Herbert. Drafting for traits can fail miserably, as it did with Trey Lance. But, I am fine taking a shot on Maye at 2. I won't instantly feel like we have the position ties up, but I'd be fine watching to see how it plays out. And Maye would be better supported than Howell. Our OL will be better. I imagine we will have better weapons. Especially if we hire Ben Johnson, we will have an OC that can better tailor a gameplan for a young QB. May strikes me as a guy that can be really, really good, if supported properly. 

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Quick question for the experts and I'm lazy.  But why does New England and Arizona pick ahead of us in the 2nd round?  And Arizona in the 3rd round?

Im not an expert but I know this one lol.

Because all three teams shared the same record, and Washington won the Strength of Schedule tiebreaker, we get the earlier pick in the 1st round, and then it rotates for the rest of the draft.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Basically, you want a Trey Lance-like haul. It will depend if the value chart merits it depending on who trades up. 

For the record, I'm leaning towards getting as many picks as possible in a trade down scenario, rolling with Howell for one more season, and then using the draft capital to move up in 2025 if he's not our guy. I know I sound crazy based on how the season ended, but the coaching/OL issues were just so bad for him that I have a hard time not thinking that had a lot to do with his unravelling as the season progressed.

Exactly. You can go Howell and a quarterback or two from draft. Plenty of experience quarterbacks like Rattler, Travis,Hartman. I like getting as many players of the new coaches scheme and ideology.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Exactly. You can go Howell and a quarterback or two from draft. Plenty of experience quarterbacks like Rattler, Travis,Hartman. I like getting as many players of the new coaches scheme and ideology.

Good lord some of you people just wanna live in mediocrity forever

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Side note, this is the guy that does a podcast with Rick Spielman every week although I am not sure if that will continue now that Spielman has part time work now.

Very interesting trade value here, and he has Penix going #8 to Atlanta.  Not sure that would shock me either.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Good lord some of you people just wanna live in mediocrity forever

Thats not exactly fair. What would make you say this?

54 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

The thing is we have no idea how much draft capital it'll take to move up next year. They could finish with the 13th- 15th pick.  Are we going to give up  all the pics that we got in the trade back a year later, or possibly more, to get to where we are already sitting today?  With no guarantee next year's top 2 QBs are as good as these 2?

Just pull the trigger when you have the chance I say.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One aspect that hasn't been debated as much regarding the prospects here is ability to identify and call protections at the line.

Modern NFL offense rely on the QBs ability to identify defensive fronts and call protections. Ben Johnson's offense in Detroit has as many as 5 play-calls for Goff to choose from when he walks to the line, and he can essentially audible into any one of them. Everybody from the line to the backs to the TEs to the receivers need to be on the same page as to what their responsibilities are and it's on Goff to make the right call fast enough.

We've talked about the mental clock and making the right read + decision with the ball, but the processing and decision-making that occurs prior to the center snapping the ball is just as crucial.