Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

If Maye is the selection so be it. It's not as if I think it would be a disastrous pick. My criticism of him has nothing to with his arm, mobility nor size all of which are obviously good. It's something else - a nuance to his game that I did not care for when watching him but hard to put in words. I'm also very perplexed by Penix's poor showing. Whatever, this is the hardest position to nail down for good reason.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can see Dejean projected to safety, has the size for it.  But I was surprised watching him that he played outside corner with a little slot mixed it.  I was expecting to see him play safety.

I haven't watched Kitchens yet.

As I mentioned yesterday, I like what I saw from the Georgia safeties -- Bullard and Smith as 4th round types.  But I have to watch many more guys. 

I think fourth round is a great slotting for the Georgia duo. And I think they’ll be major value gets in that area. I think Bullard in the 3rd makes sense.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

2024 NFL mock draft: Jordan Reid's Round 1 pick predictions

_end_rule.pngchi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Chicago Bears (via CAR)

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

After a disappointing finish to the season, the Justin Fields era in Chicago might officially come to a close this offseason. The Bears have to decide whether they want to trade Fields or the No. 1 pick, but in the end, passing on a franchise QB for a second consecutive year -- especially when Fields hasn't done enough to cement his spot -- wouldn't be logical. General manager Ryan Poles could draft a signal-caller whom he can tie to his tenure.

Williams remains my QB1 and No. 2 overall prospect, with terrific arm talent, accuracy and creativity under center. The 2022 Heisman Trophy winner threw 72 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions over the past two seasons.

Team needs: QB, WR, EDGE

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Washington Commanders

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

With new ownership -- and soon a new coach -- the Commanders are in desperate need of a spark. Maye can be just that. With a powerful arm to make any downfield throw, he can attack all three levels of the field. This season, he completed 35 passes of 20-plus air yards, the third most in the FBS. Maye still needs to improve his decision-making and progressions, but he is commonly getting comps to Justin Herbert. That speaks to his upside. Sam Howell flashed this season, but he threw a matching 21 touchdown passes and 21 interceptions.

The Commanders already have solid offensive targets in Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson, and with four additional picks in the first three rounds, the Commanders could see a quick turnaround.

Team needs: QB, OL, EDGE

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. New England Patriots

Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

Stale and lacking talent. That's the only way to sum up the current state of the Patriots' roster. The QB carousel of Bailey Zappe and Mac Jones left more questions than answers, and New England has to find some form of excitement on offense. Daniels is an electrifying talent who brings downfield passing ability and rushing mobility. His improvement during his senior season was remarkable, as he finished first in the FBS in Total QBR (95.6), touchdown passes from the pocket (35) and passing yards per attempt (11.7). His 40 passing TDs ranked second, and his 10 rushing scores tied for ninth among QBs.

Team needs: QB, OT, WR

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Arizona Cardinals

Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

If we were playing a game of matchmaker, the prospect-to-team fit that makes the most sense of any first-round pick is Harrison to the Cardinals. Quarterback Kyler Murray won't hesitate to throw the ball up to his receivers in one-on-one situations, and Harrison -- my top-ranked player in this class -- is exactly what's needed on a roster that's still devoid of high-end talent. Plus, Marquise Brown is a free agent and might not be back.

Harrison's combination of hands, body control and route running make him the clear best receiver in a loaded group, and he has a chance to quickly become a top-10 target at the next level. He is coming off back-to-back seasons with 14 touchdowns and more than 1,200 yards at Ohio State.

Team needs: WR, CB, DL

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Los Angeles Chargers

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

The Chargers are definitely a team that could look to trade back and stock up on picks to fill roster holes with younger talent. But if they stick at No. 5, they should go with a wide receiver for the second consecutive year (Quentin Johnston in 2023). Nabers is an explosive target who would be an immediate upgrade for the team's offense. He's a natural tackle-breaker, finishing sixth in the FBS in forced missed tackles on catches (27). Nabers also led the FBS in receiving yards per game (120.7). He is a big play waiting to happen and the exact type of receiver that Los Angeles needs, especially with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams getting older and struggling to stay on the field.

Team needs: WR, CB, OL

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Giants

Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

This is a nightmare scenario for the Giants, with all three of the top quarterbacks and both of the top two receivers off the board. Offensive tackle could be an option here, but I don't think GM Joe Schoen is ready to throw in the towel on Evan Neal at right tackle just yet, even though the early returns haven't been promising. Plus, the top two tackles in this class have played only on the left side, where Andrew Thomas lines up for New York.

That leads me to Odunze, who dictates his own route tempos and can make catches in any situation, as evidenced by his FBS-high 1,640 receiving yards this season. He tied for the most contested receptions (24) in the country and had the third-most touchdowns (eight) in those situations. If things play out this way, it would be the first time in the common draft era that three receivers went in the top six picks, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Team needs: QB, WR, OL

7. Tennessee Titans

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

The Titans would be jumping for joy in this scenario. Will Levis has shown that he could possibly be the long-term quarterback answer, but Tennessee needs multiple new starters along the offensive line to protect him. The Andre Dillard signing hasn't worked out, so left tackle is a huge question mark for whoever ends up as the Titans' new coach.

The 6-foot-8, 320-pound Alt was the most impressive prospect I saw out on the scouting trail this season. He has shown continuous improvement each year of his college career, and some scouts believe Alt -- who allowed two sacks combined over the past two seasons -- is the most well-rounded blocker in this class. Penn State's Olumuyiwa Fashanu could also be the move here, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if Alt is the first offensive tackle off the board.

Team needs: OT, CB, WR

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA

It's no secret the Falcons need a quarterback. But Arthur Smith has been relieved of his coaching duties, and with pressure to win next season, I think Atlanta could go the veteran route under center. With that in mind, adding another pass-rusher makes sense, as the Falcons owned the worst pass rush

The Jets appear set to run it back with Aaron Rodgers, and with a 40-year-old QB coming off a torn Achilles, they will need to improve his protection. Mekhi Becton was attributed 17 sacks against this season, so there's a clear need for an upgrade at tackle. Fashanu has an impressive combination of foot quickness, balance and fluidity as a pass-protector, and he has the potential to eventually be one of the best offensive tackles in the NFL.

Team needs: OT, WR, QB

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39272459/2024-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-predictions-32-picks

SIP I dont know if you had a chance to watch that vid I posted of Maye yesterday or not. It was actually one of his poorer games last year. And there was still a TON to like there. The more I watch him the more he reminds me of a mix between Burrow and Herbert.

• Like 3

Not looked closely at Safety's yet but Bullard's game is appealing to me and would provide something the Commanders backfield has lacked for a long time. Perhaps Quan can fill that need more than adequately but I do like Bullard's game a lot. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think fourth round is a great slotting for the Georgia duo. And I think they’ll be major value gets in that area. I think Bullard in the 3rd makes sense.

Yeah Bullard to me smacks me as I said yesterday as Quan Martin but better in coverage than him -- with Quan being the better run stopper.   He plays with a ton of oomph.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The hyperbole there for both Williams downside (can't hit a deep ball? Stop it) and Maye (greatest he's ever seen) are crazy to me.

I don't know how you don't watch either of these guys and see the warts... but also see the great stuff.

Anyways RE: Cooper Dejean.... I think he's a safety in the NFL vs. a corner, but he has ridiculous position flex(tm). He can absolutely play on the outside at corner as well as sitting in a deep zone or rolling up and playing in the box as a safety or an alley defender. He's a baller.

As far as pure safeties go, I stick to my take: Kam Kinchens is the best in class. 

Yeah that dude is nuts. Im big on Maye too but not to that extent. I dont think hes sooo much better than Williams(I like Maye better but if he went 1 Id SPRINT to the podium to take Caleb 2nd).

8 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Sure, but that's the point, you and others are pointing to a one game sample against Michigan as proof that its absurd or ridiculous when the guys college cv is littered with strong games against top programs. The "he sucked last night" small sample size argument is totally illegitimate and ridiculous. The "he's been hurt repeatedly and is overage" is legit. 

But I never made that argument against JJ.  I said he looks like Jimmy Clausen with wheels.  All I'm saying is he looks like a college QB but not an NFL QB, like hundreds of others who came before him.  His skills don't look next level to me.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Are we even going to be thinking about Safety? I think we probably resign Kurl. And Quan started playing respectably towards the end of the season.

If you can upgrade a position you should do so would be my rationale. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, illone said:

Side note, this is the guy that does a podcast with Rick Spielman every week although I am not sure if that will continue now that Spielman has part time work now.

Very interesting trade value here, and he has Penix going #8 to Atlanta.  Not sure that would shock me either.

Thats not exactly fair. What would make you say this?

As long as we do not give up next year's 1st.  Penix to Atlanta is perfect with what they already have, not blowing any extra cap and worth the shot.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

That was his first experience facing a true pro style defense. And it showed. 

Thanks. I do not watch college ball during the season or many NFL games for that matter - too many commitments to juggle so I do miss these types of aspects when evaluating players. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

One aspect that hasn't been debated as much regarding the prospects here is ability to identify and call protections at the line.

Modern NFL offense rely on the QBs ability to identify defensive fronts and call protections. Ben Johnson's offense in Detroit has as many as 5 play-calls for Goff to choose from when he walks to the line, and he can essentially audible into any one of them. Everybody from the line to the backs to the TEs to the receivers need to be on the same page as to what their responsibilities are and it's on Goff to make the right call fast enough.

We've talked about the mental clock and making the right read + decision with the ball, but the processing and decision-making that occurs prior to the center snapping the ball is just as crucial.

We need a smart tough Center who can make those calls too for the line.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rare for a team to need a QB to trade down from a top 2 pick let alone in a ballyhooed draft for QBs.  Rick Spielman who is doing the GM search weeks back was talking about them trading up for Caleb or Maye when they were slated to pick 4th.

You never know.  But I'd be shocked.  At a minimum for the team that arguably has had the worst luck at QB including rarely drafting high enough to take one of the touted ones -- to be the one team given an opportunity and then passing it over -- our GM would better have a killer explanation for doing it and better be vindicated for the move otherwise I'd expect a quick exit for the new GM.

I agree it’s rare. My question would be if Williams is gone and you don’t love Maye or Daniels what do you do? I would like to do what the Cardinals and Bears did last year. Tear it down, get extra first round picks and we will be bad again next year. Ron has left us with basically nothing. We have maybe 3 players a playoff team would take and out in starting line up. 

I still need to watch the quarterbacks more especially Daniels. I think Ben Johnson could do well with Howell or Baker Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know about most of the board.  Maye has like 4 or 5 loud critics here.  And on twitter I noticed the hits are very Sam Howell hate related and mostly from this fan base -- stuff said like Howell sucks so Maye from the same school sucks, too.    If you look at the Giants fans-Patriots twitter posts their fans, most of them were salivating for Maye until alas for them he became likely out of reach.  Not that it matters.

He's not raw like Trey Lance.   Lance was a runner first.  Electric runner and good deep thrower but struggled with most of everything else.  And he barely even played his last college season. Only one season of college play basically.  And as a passer, Trey didn't have a lot on his plate.  It's about as apples to oranges as it gets to compare them.   

Herbert and Allen are the comps that you mostly read and they are apt IMO.  The rawness IMO comps to them is footwork-accuracy at times and decision making -- especially in comparison with Allen in the context of being too in love with their arm and making ill advised contested throws.

As for him as a pure passer, he had everything on his plate.  The team was on his back and his supporting cast sucked.  He makes throws consistently on every level and every type. When I've typically watched a passer over the years, it hit me that they majored in a thing or two but far from everything.  Maye does it all.  First level.  2nd level.  3rd level.  In routes.  Out routes.  And does it all consistently well and confidently.  

As far as accuracy, he needs to work IMO on throwing off platform and improving touch on first level throws.  If you give him time in the pocket he can pick you apart.  But alas, he couldn't showcase that a heck of a lot.  @KDawg mentioning him throwing with his upper body.  He does.  But when you watch him when he has time in the pocket, you can see him drive the ball with his legs.   

That characteristic though doesn't bother me because that only means his ceiling is higher as to arm strength.  Heck as an amateur soft ball player back in my day, I improved my throwing arm by learning to use my full body especially my hips and legs when I threw.   The idea that this dude can throw with velocity with just his upper body shows his potential.

I think he has a strong arm.  Not Allen level of course.  But definitely on the high end.  Tough for us to judge watching on youtube though, IMO you got to watch these guys in person to judge that.  He has a big reputation on that front but whether that is justified or not, I think impossible for us to tell.  On youtube my cheat code is how does it look backfoot.  I put a throw below of Drake throwing a 45 yard pass backfoot.  That's plenty as far as arm strength.  But again, I'd still need to see it in person.

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/chip-lindsey-reveals-whats-surprised-him-about-drake-maye/

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 7.07.38 AM.png

This is a great summary.  I totally believe Pats and Giants fans were salivating at the thought of Drake May.  I also believe some of our fans downgrade him because of Sam Howell even if they are not aware that they are doing it.

The pick should be Maye IMO.  He is not a flash in the pan who rocketed up draft boards, he was a 5 star recruit who has been at the top of most draft boards from the start of the season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The hyperbole there for both Williams downside (can't hit a deep ball? Stop it) and Maye (greatest he's ever seen) are crazy to me.

I don't know how you don't watch either of these guys and see the warts... but also see the great stuff.

Yeah, I didn't post it because I agree with him.  Just always interested in dissenting opinions, especially if it's backed with the level of detail he seems to have presented (however wrong his conclusions may be).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

It's just hard to imagine Chicago trading with us when New England at 3 would theoretically be willing to give up far more to grab one of the top two QBs and Chicago would still be guaranteed MH Jr since they know we're going QB.

No matter who we take we cannot give up next year's first to risky. Allen and a 2nd,  2nd and 3rd,  2nd this year 2nd next year. Trade down, pick 2nd.  Look at Carolina! I am for any of those but our new coaches and staff are going to decide it.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I didn't post it because I agree with him.  Just always interested in dissenting opinions, especially if it's backed with the level of detail he seems to have presented (however wrong his conclusions may be).

Given all the time we have between now and the draft I appreciate dissenting opinions. I do not like his take on Williams. The guy throws a very nice deep ball, makes solid off script plays when necessary and looks like a solid 1st round QB.  

And frankly issues with his teammates might be overblown. I saw him after the Bowl game with a highly supportive, genuine gesture towards Moss. They looked like they had a very good relationship. 

But is he better then Daniels? And do we relegate Daniels to #3, because he might be a "one year wonder?"  

The Athletic's mock

Since getting the 2nd pick can't recall a mock having us take any other player.  But will see once the process starts.

As a PFF guy was just saying on air, you get prospect fatigue after some time and these guys start getting ripped -- he also thought Washington should go with Maye who he thought was one of the best Qb prospects in years.  

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 9.33.37 AM.png

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

We could try! But I'm pretty sure no matter how many statements we leak about believing in Howell and strongly considering building around him w/ MHJr, 99% of NFL front office personnel will have us penciled going with a QB at 2 overall.

99% of offices had Young going first overall too? Who cares about the other offices, just look at all the busts per Hits on the list for the last 10 years. It's very risky just like taking a RB early. The value per risk is not there anymore. Our first is not in play, not when we have the no.2 and other options. 

29 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is a great summary.  I totally believe Pats and Giants fans were salivating at the thought of Drake May.  I also believe some of our fans downgrade him because of Sam Howell even if they are not aware that they are doing it.

The pick should be Maye IMO.  He is not a flash in the pan who rocketed up draft boards, he was a 5 star recruit who has been at the top of most draft boards from the start of the season.

The reason why i noticed especialy in the case of Giants fans is that I follow my share of NY sports reporters so fan comments shows up in my twitter feed.  I probably sadly at least on twitter have as much read on Giant fans in that forum as this team. 

Most of the Giant fans from what I noticed were salivating over Maye.  With this team's fans as Howell's season went south, I noticed more negativity about Maye.   Howell has gone with some fans on twitter from the savior to a punchline.  Some wild emotional swings.  So I see it seep into Maye some.

Like many here, I've been following the draft forever.  I don't ever recall picking this high (except for the RG3 trade up) in a big draft for QBs -- so I am going to enjoy the novelty of this.  It's one heck of rare stroke of luck IMO.

It's hard for me to comprehend the trade down group.  It's sort of like being that nerd who can't get a date being out of nowhere chased by a model -- and we are talking ourselves out of going out on that date.   I only get those who sell it if they are selling a different QB that they feel can be had later -- but not by just saying they like the dude without explaining why but really sell that player. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1