Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Yesterday I settled in on my opinion of Caleb Williams.

Today is the day I did that for Drake Maye.

Drake Maye is big and fast. ~75th percentile for both height and weight for a NFL QB. That's a big deal. 

He also has wheels that he knows how to use. 

Good arm, though I push back a bit on the "he has a great arm" takes. If you watch him throw, he's on his toes a lot. He doesn't use lower body drive on a regular basis and he uses all upper body on his throws. If we had a higher sample size of hips and leg drive into his throws I might be more on board with the "great" arm talk, but for now you guys are going to have to live with me saying NFL arm for my opinion. 

His mechanics suck. They are outright bad at times. On his toes, doesn't get the ball out at the top of his drop and one of the worst things about the way he plays: He drifts in the direction he is looking towards when he throws. There are plays where he outright sacks himself because of a subconscious drift in his drop pattern. I know some coaches coach that drift, but he does it entirely too often. 

As I've also pointed out before, he pats the ball way more than I'd like, too. And he holds the ball for way too long.

So it kinda sounds like my opinion of him is pretty bad, right?

Well, no. 

You can't teach size, speed and arm talent. Drake Maye has all of those things.

You can teach progressions, mechanics and timing. It will take some work to get there, though.

He has a RPO heavy offense in college that I doubt the NFL employs with him at any kind of high rate... But they definitely CAN be used in a toolbox while he develops.

What are things besides his physical traits that I like about Maye?

When he breaks the pocket he keeps his eyes down field. He doesn't need to run. He uses his legs when he has to but keeps his eyes downfield. That is a hard habit to break if you run more often than pass in those situations.

But what I REALLY like about him is he is a modern pocket passer. Similar to Williams but in a different way.

Williams can manipulate the pocket in ways that aren't natural. Maye doesn't do that, but he does like to stand in there and deliver a strike versus bail.

Those traits, combined with his physical attributes land him as QB2 in this class. 

I don't think either prospect is as clean as a lot of people seem to. There is a lot to worry about both Williams and Maye. And some folks would say, "there is always a lot to worry about with a rookie QB!" and that is completely true. But these guys both have real red flags.

Neither one is Luck. Neither one is Burrow. 

Based on my evaluation of Lawrence, though, I think they are in that Lawrence range. 

They are certainly up there in the overall picking order... But these are the top 3 prospects in the last ten drafts:

Bryce Young

CJ Stroud

Anthony Richardson

Kenny Pickett

Desmond Ridder

Malik Willis

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Trey Lance

Joe Burrow

Tua Tagovailoa

Justin Herbert

Kyler Murray

Daniel Jones

Dwayne Haskins

Baker Mayfield

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Mitch Trubisky

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Garrett Grayson

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

Of the 33 prospects listed, I'd probably rate them this way:

1. Joe Burrow

2. Caleb Williams

3. Trevor Lawrence

4. CJ Stroud (using a touch of 20/20 hindsight, I went with Young because consensus.... But looking back there wasn't much I hated about Stroud)

5. Drake Maye

The other thing that this exercise taught me is there has been some really ****ing awful "top 3" prospects. Garrett Grayson?

This year's IS probably among the best. Burrow, Herbert, Tua is the only other really even halfway strong groups. So armed with that info... I understand why the hype is so exaggerated. These QB drafts have stunk :ols:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Id love Corum with one of our 2nds. A Maye/Corum backfield would be awesome. Take best OL available with the other 2

Trade down if you want Corum. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that in general, he's valued at higher than the 60th-100 zone. The top 40 are where you take Jonathan Taylor's and Breece Hall's, I don't see Corum as that. He's one of the few good backs in a really, really bad class, but I think he's more in the zone where David Montgomery and say Brian Robinson went, then where the blue chip guys go (unless a GM loses their mind and overdrafts RB's-see Zeke, Fournette, Gibbs, Josh Jacobs, Etienne etc). I should add, having just double checked, the dude is turning 24 next season (early winter), so there's no chance whatsoever I'd draft him w/the rb age cliff still sitting at age 26. 

Edited by The Consigliere

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I would be very interested in what he would do. I thought the 49ers were insane and monuementally stupid to trade up for Trey Lance. He barely had any experience playing QB and didn't play his last year. His pro day was maybe the worst I had ever seen. They fell in love with his height, size and his rushing ability but he could not operate their system at all. 

If I recall correctly, I seem to remember Kyle Shanny mentioning that Lance crushed the in person interviews as well, had a great football mind and great communicator.  I'll see if I can dig it up... 

Probably coach speak and these coaches will say anything to defend their decision making in the moment so I take it with a grain of salt even if that was the case.

Hopefully if Peters is the guy in Washington he learned from that situation and can draw some wisdom from the error in that draft pick.

17 hours ago, illone said:

Now I am even more confused about what to do with the #2 pick.

Thought Penix would show out tonight and solidify his arm and decision making talent... woops!  He played like a 1st round talent for much of the year, including last week, but turned into a pumpkin when the lights were the brightest.

I might be open for business with the #2 pick if the price is right.

Won't be mad with a move up for Caleb, but it seems like a massive longshot.

I dont think people should overreact to it. Evaluate him on his body of work. Not on one game. 

He was great in '20 playing against the Big 10 (played all the big dogs and played well), and he's had plenty of big spot, big game moments against big 10 sides, and big teams in general having been playing in college since freaking 2018.

My concern is injury history and age. Dude is practically Brandon Weeden old. He's automatically off my board due to age and injuries, but if that doesn't bother you, last night shouldn't either. He's played Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State back in his Indiana days and played them all well. Played out of conference games against good squads, and Oregon and what not in college. He's been good against good competition. It's the age and injuries that scare the hell out of me. 

17 hours ago, method man said:

After the massive push by the entire team to get Terry 1k yards, do you really want to move him?

Yes. He's old. By the time we *might* be good, he will not be good. I'd rather move him for future picks so he can have a chance elsewhere while we rebuild. Wonder if his contract is movable? Seems like he's not really movable till '25, but yeah, if the contract weren't a problem, I'd move him, Allen and Payne without a second thought. 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Here’s some throws that didn’t make it to Red Zone because they were drops. Ridley alone had like 8 near miss TD’s this year lol

You are making excuses.  Some of these near misses was a result of poor throws. FYI Red Zone does not just show TDs. They switch to games that show regular plays too, especially when they are close late.

Every QB suffers from drops.  His may be higher but a few more drops over the course of a season won't change his numbers that much.  And they are pretty middle of the road for a "franchise quarterback".  He just misses too many throws to carry that label.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

17 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Maye is the safest option with the lowest ceiling. Even if his ceiling is Josh Allen or Josh Herbert or Trevor Lawrence like so many scouts have cited, that is 3 QBs who have accomplished significantly less than Mahomes (Williams) or Jackson (Daniels).

And whether you agree with the comps isn't the point - they're the ones most often mentioned by the scouts and talking heads that everyone loves to quote (including Spielman)

It is pretty easy to explain why with Herbert and Lawerence. I've been mystified by the Bills, they seem to lay it at the feet of the coach, although, lets be fair, it was the flukiest of fluke results ever that they lost the '21 Divisional game to the Chiefs. You play that game 100 times, they probably lose 2 or 3 of them, 5 tops, unfortunately for them, this reality was one of those 2-5%ers. They were Super Bowl Bound that year and that loss to the Chiefs was one of the all time stupidest results up there, even trumped the crazy, pulling it out of his --- theatrics Wilson pulled against the Packers and Rodgers a decade ago. Crazier than that. 

If we could land our own Allen, or Herbert, or Lawrence, I'd be beyond ecstatic. That isn't a low ceiling type to me, that's a high ceiling dream. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It is pretty easy to explain why with Herbert and Lawerence. I've been mystified by the Bills, they seem to lay it at the feet of the coach, although, lets be fair, it was the flukiest of fluke results ever that they lost the '21 Divisional game to the Chiefs. You play that game 100 times, they probably lose 2 or 3 of them, 5 tops, unfortunately for them, this reality was one of those 2-5%ers. They were Super Bowl Bound that year and that loss to the Chiefs was one of the all time stupidest results up there, even trumped the crazy, pulling it out of his --- theatrics Wilson pulled against the Packers and Rodgers a decade ago. Crazier than that. 

If we could land our own Allen, or Herbert, or Lawrence, I'd be beyond ecstatic. That isn't a low ceiling type to me, that's a high ceiling dream. 

You are putting Lawrence in the same group as Herbert and Allen?  This is what I've been talking about.  The love for Trevor Lawrence is so puzzling to me.

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I dont think people should overreact to it. Evaluate him on his body of work. Not on one game. 

He was great in '20 playing against the Big 10 (played all the big dogs and played well), and he's had plenty of big spot, big game moments against big 10 sides, and big teams in general having been playing in college since freaking 2018.

My concern is injury history and age. Dude is practically Brandon Weeden old. He's automatically off my board due to age and injuries, but if that doesn't bother you, last night shouldn't either. He's played Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State back in his Indiana days and played them all well. Played out of conference games against good squads, and Oregon and what not in college. He's been good against good competition. It's the age and injuries that scare the hell out of me. 

That's it for me too, looked broken up going into the Locker room.  Could be a steal if he drops to far and stays or gets healthy.

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The fact that he handled Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State as a teenager w/Indiana tells me, he's fine. All of this is small sample size bull----. The fact that he's a thousand years old for a prospect and physically annihilated after seemingly 12 years in college (dude was playing college ball in 2018!?!?!) is what puts him as a nonstarter for me, and not even on my board (until day 3). Guy can do the gig, if healthy, but I am not investing day 1/2 capital in a guy that old, w/that injury history, full stop. 

• Thumb up 1

Re: Jayden as the next Lamar, it's worth nothing that:

1) Lamar had two 1,500+ yard rushing seasons at Louisville, whereas Jayden broke 1,100 this year but did not have a 1K rushing season at all prior

2) Lamar had two 3,500+ passing yard seasons at ages 20/21 (Jan birthday so he was technically 19/20 but basically 20/21), whereas Jayden only exploded this year at age 23

3) Lamar threw 30 and 27 TDs in his last two years of college, whereas Jayden only broke 20 TDs this year when he exploded for 40

And on Lamar, keep in mind he has had his own injury troubles the past few years and didn't truly break out until this year when he has become an MVP candidate.

Point being, Lamar was IMO significantly more productive in college as a younger player and still dealt with some issues once he got to the pros. Jayden is very much a one-year wonder at age 23.

Daniels is actually very similar to Burrow in that sense, though Burrow's last season at LSU was total alien status: ~5,700 passing yards, 60 TDs, and only 6 INT's. Yeesh. Burrow himself has had injury troubles in the NFL (and is also a similar height/weight to Daniels).

On the flip-side, Maye has two seasons of 4,300 and 3,600 passing yards with 38 and 24 TDs at ages 20 and 21. And he clocks in at a sturdy 230 pounds. Lower completion % than Daniels but significantly higher volume of attempts.

I know there's a lot more to it than headline stats. But there's something to be said for prototypical traits + consistent productivity at a young age vs. a guy who had one great season in college as a 23 year old and has a risky body frame/build.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is why I laughed for a week at all the people who were pimping Penix after the Texas game. Not just message boards, people who are paid a lot of money for their opinion always overreact to what they have seen last.  Penix was always so far behind the other 3 he was not even worth being mentioned for the Commanders pick.  And I will stand on the position until proven wrong that JJ McCarthy is not an NFL franchise QB.  

2019-Age 19

33/42-286-3/0 vs Michigan State

2020-Age 20

19/36-170-1-1 vs Penn State

30/50-342-3-1 vs Michigan

27/51-491-5-1 vs Ohio State

2021: Age 21

He did suck against Cincy this particular year when Cincy made the playoffs 17/40/224-2-3

2022: Age 22

33/48-345-4-2 vs UCLA

26/35-408-2-1 vs Oregon

32/54-287-2-1 vs Texas-Bowl Game

I have no interest in drafting him due to age and injuries, but he did all of that in his age 19, 20, and 22 seasons. I don't think anyone found anything out last night other than bull---- confirmation bias. Dude was fantastic this past season and had plenty of great games in '20 and '22, and a great 2019 game against Michigan State. He's consistently performed quite well against legit comp. People losing their mind over one game last night are nuts. Pay attention to the medicals and the age, the game last night? Who cares. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Re: Jayden as the next Lamar, it's worth nothing that:

1) Lamar had two 1,500+ yard rushing seasons at Louisville, whereas Jayden broke 1,100 this year but did not have a 1K rushing season at all prior

2) Lamar had two 3,500+ passing yard seasons at ages 20/21 (Jan birthday so he was technically 19/20 but basically 20/21), whereas Jayden only exploded this year at age 23

3) Lamar threw 30 and 27 TDs in his last two years of college, whereas Jayden only broke 20 TDs this year when he exploded for 40

And on Lamar, keep in mind he has had his own injury troubles the past few years and didn't truly break out until this year when he has become an MVP candidate.

Point being, Lamar was IMO significantly more productive in college as a younger player and still dealt with some issues once he got to the pros. Jayden is very much a one-year wonder at age 23.

Daniels is actually very similar to Burrow in that sense, though Burrow's last season at LSU was total alien status: ~5,700 passing yards, 60 TDs, and only 6 INT's. Yeesh. Burrow himself has had injury troubles in the NFL (and is also a similar height/weight to Daniels).

On the flip-side, Maye has two seasons of 4,300 and 3,600 passing yards with 38 and 24 TDs at ages 20 and 21. And he clocks in at a sturdy 230 pounds. Lower completion % than Daniels but significantly higher volume of attempts.

I know there's a lot more to it than headline stats. But there's something to be said for prototypical traits + consistent productivity at a young age vs. a guy who had one great season in college as a 23 year old and has a risky body frame/build.

You left out that Lamar never topped 60% completion percentage in college and Daniels never went below it. THAT is why Lamar had issues in the pros, he was not accurate throwing the ball in college at all. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yesterday I settled in on my opinion of Caleb Williams.

Today is the day I did that for Drake Maye.

Drake Maye is big and fast. ~75th percentile for both height and weight for a NFL QB. That's a big deal. 

He also has wheels that he knows how to use. 

Good arm, though I push back a bit on the "he has a great arm" takes. If you watch him throw, he's on his toes a lot. He doesn't use lower body drive on a regular basis and he uses all upper body on his throws. If we had a higher sample size of hips and leg drive into his throws I might be more on board with the "great" arm talk, but for now you guys are going to have to live with me saying NFL arm for my opinion. 

His mechanics suck. They are outright bad at times. On his toes, doesn't get the ball out at the top of his drop and one of the worst things about the way he plays: He drifts in the direction he is looking towards when he throws. There are plays where he outright sacks himself because of a subconscious drift in his drop pattern. I know some coaches coach that drift, but he does it entirely too often. 

As I've also pointed out before, he pats the ball way more than I'd like, too. And he holds the ball for way too long.

So it kinda sounds like my opinion of him is pretty bad, right?

Well, no. 

You can't teach size, speed and arm talent. Drake Maye has all of those things.

You can teach progressions, mechanics and timing. It will take some work to get there, though.

He has a RPO heavy offense in college that I doubt the NFL employs with him at any kind of high rate... But they definitely CAN be used in a toolbox while he develops.

What are things besides his physical traits that I like about Maye?

When he breaks the pocket he keeps his eyes down field. He doesn't need to run. He uses his legs when he has to but keeps his eyes downfield. That is a hard habit to break if you run more often than pass in those situations.

But what I REALLY like about him is he is a modern pocket passer. Similar to Williams but in a different way.

Williams can manipulate the pocket in ways that aren't natural. Maye doesn't do that, but he does like to stand in there and deliver a strike versus bail.

Those traits, combined with his physical attributes land him as QB2 in this class. 

I don't think either prospect is as clean as a lot of people seem to. There is a lot to worry about both Williams and Maye. And some folks would say, "there is always a lot to worry about with a rookie QB!" and that is completely true. But these guys both have real red flags.

Neither one is Luck. Neither one is Burrow. 

Based on my evaluation of Lawrence, though, I think they are in that Lawrence range. 

They are certainly up there in the overall picking order... But these are the top 3 prospects in the last ten drafts:

Bryce Young

CJ Stroud

Anthony Richardson

Kenny Pickett

Desmond Ridder

Malik Willis

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Trey Lance

Joe Burrow

Tua Tagovailoa

Justin Herbert

Kyler Murray

Daniel Jones

Dwayne Haskins

Baker Mayfield

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Mitch Trubisky

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Garrett Grayson

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

Of the 33 prospects listed, I'd probably rate them this way:

1. Joe Burrow

2. Caleb Williams

3. Trevor Lawrence

4. CJ Stroud (using a touch of 20/20 hindsight, I went with Young because consensus.... But looking back there wasn't much I hated about Stroud)

5. Drake Maye

The other thing that this exercise taught me is there has been some really ****ing awful "top 3" prospects. Garrett Grayson?

This year's IS probably among the best. Burrow, Herbert, Tua is the only other really even halfway strong groups. So armed with that info... I understand why the hype is so exaggerated. These QB drafts have stunk :ols:

My Rate

1.Mahomes

2.Josh Allen

3.Herbert

4.Burrow

5. Stroud

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

2019-Age 19

2020-Age 20

He did suck against Cincy this particular year when Cincy made the playoffs 17/40/224-2-3

33/48-345-4-2 vs UCLA

26/35-408-2-1 vs Oregon

I have no interest in drafting him due to age and injuries, but he did all of that in his age 19, 20, and 22 seasons. I don't think anyone found anything out last night other than bull---- confirmation bias. Dude was fantastic this past season and had plenty of great games in '20 and '22, and a great 2019 game against Michigan State. He's consistently performed quite well against legit comp. People losing their mind over one game last night are nuts. Pay attention to the medicals and the age, the game last night? Who cares. 

Yes it was just one game but I don't think you can just dismiss how bad he looked on the biggest stage.  Or how nobody was talking about him as a top 10 pick until the Texas game, which was also  just one game.  

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I've lived in LA for a decade - it's just not a football town period. This city is Dodgers and Lakers by a mile, followed by the Kings when they were winning Cups.

Even when the Rams had their run, there wasn't much excitement or buzz. Let alone the Chargers whose fan base is still primarily in San Diego.

You mention the Lions and Browns but the harsh reality is those are parochial towns where sports fandom is a fundamental part of their identity because nobody wants to live in Detroit or Cleveland. For example, there are very few transplants living in Buffalo and to live in Buffalo is to be a Bills fan. Ditto Detroit and Cleveland.

The "culture change" here just boils down to wins. If the team wins, fans will come back in droves. In fact, our glory days (which I wasn't even alive for) were not led by a HoF, culture-setting QB.

I'm more interested in culture-setting for the HC candidate than any individual player.

It's a little more complicated.

The rams leaving for St. Louis, followed by the Raiders in the mid-90's leaving for Oakland left LA without a team for more than 20 years. The Rams diehards are older, the Raiders became a beloved team during their decade plus in LA for a portion of the people (but not many of the rich, well heeled people they wanted as their fans), but when you had no NFL in town from 1995-2016, that was a wrap. People got used to watching the Raiders or doing other ----, and became more closely linked to the Dodgers, Lakers, Hockey, college sports, and just LA Life. The real crazy deal is the Chargers moving there. Just unbelievably stupid. They had a locked in support base in San Diego, and active dislike from LA people who weren't San Diego natives. Crazy. 

But again LA was pretty into football in the sixties, seventies, eighties and early nineties. Now? Definitely not what it once was. Too much to do, great weather, and no brand loyalty in place. 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

You left out that Lamar never topped 60% completion percentage in college and Daniels never went below it. THAT is why Lamar had issues in the pros, he was not accurate throwing the ball in college at all. 

Yes that's true. Jayden has been a more accurate passer but not as lethal a runner. The one year wonder status and body frame I think still present notable risk IMO.

My top 3 right now are: 1) Caleb, 2) Drake, 3) Jayden. And I think there's a bigger jump between Drake and Jayden than there is between Caleb and Drake.

But that being said, let's see who the new HC is and what kind of offensive philosophy they have. If they want to run an RPO-based dual-threat offense, that's a lot different than if they want a more conventional passing attack.

21 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

2019-Age 19

2020-Age 20

33/48-345-4-2 vs UCLA

26/35-408-2-1 vs Oregon

He was a fine college QB.  The road to the NFL is littered with good college quarterbacks who didn't make it.  

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

But we know in the end it will be up to GM (Peters, I think) and the HC (?) Who do you think Peters would take #2 at QB? Guess.  

I have no idea.  And again I'd love Peters but we don't know yet he will be the GM.  But if Purdy is a lesson for him -- Purdy can run a pro offense and is very smart.

Chip Lindsey know he was getting a fantastic quarterback in Drake Maye when he signed on to be North Carolina’s offensive coordinator, but there’s still a bevy of things that surprised him.

Speaking with the media as the duo prepares for the 2023 season, Lindsey revealed what exactly the surprises were, including Maye’s football smarts.

“I think the thing that probably I didn’t know before is he’s really intelligent. He’s really smart. Football smart. His football IQ is really high,” responded Lindsey. “I mean, he does well in school. He’s got a great GPA and all that, but he understands every aspect of offense. From offensive line play, to who should be working to who in zone schemes, to who we’re working to in pass sets. In pass protections, he’s able to change the protection. That’s something that he’s taken to really quickly, and they did some of that before too. But I think that would be the thing, I mean not knowing him from the outside, you see the talent.

“You see the physical skills. That hadn’t surprised me a bit. But getting here and realizing he’s a football junkie. He understands football. He loves it, and very, very intelligent player.”

Meanwhile, there’s still things that Lindsey wants Maye to work on that come straight from his mind, although the offensive coordinator recognizes that the North Carolina quarterback has a pretty good handle on everything already.

“When you play that position, the team, they respond to you,” added Lindsey. “So your body language, your energy, your attitude always needs to be good. You’ve got to be a guy that can bring people with you and lead them, and he has that natural ability. I think, he’s only really been the starter here for one year, and I wasn’t here last year, but when he became that starter, he probably earned that by the way he approached every day in practice. Then he went out and played well on top of it, so now he’s got credibility, right? Now when he says something, those guys listen. I’ve seen him interact with our players, all the positions, they look him in the eye when he’s talking to them. I think that he’s got natural leadership ability.

“Things that I want him to know, from a standpoint of leading our offense, is just to be confident. Be positive. Be able to correct guys without demeaning them and down-playing them. I think he does a great job of mixing that. There’s a time to really get after someone, and there’s a time when to encourage, and I think he’s got a really good knack of being able to do that.”

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

My Rate

1.Mahomes

2.Josh Allen

3.Herbert

4.Burrow

5. Stroud

I feel like this is a bad faith argument as nobody had Mahomes in the top 5 when he was drafted.  In fact, many people called him a reach at 10 and had him mocked in the middle of the first round, certainly not 10th overall.

It's easy to put him there now, but he was NOT a better prospect than the other guys listed...

Are you simply listing your top 5 NFL qbs?

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

NO WAY Falcons go skill four years in a row.  It is either a QB or anything on defense.

Agreed.  this is clickbait more than anything. McShay seems kinda lazy with this one...

Edited by illone
  • Like 1