Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

WE WON  the offseason.  New owner and Jumbo farted.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

You can't believe we didn't sign one of the ravens draft picks as an udfa?

George Allen would have signed him and in addition trade a draft choice we didn't have for first rounders in  2024, and 2025.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

WE WON  the offseason.  New owner and Jumbo farted.

Both are related to the elimantion of waste.

Dancing With The Stars GIF

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Did you mean bruce?

Bruce Wayne?

Batman Dancing GIF

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

PFF ranking Stromberg in the 220s is a joke. He’d have been off the board real soon if we didn’t take him.

Martin I think is a possibility that he could have been there in the third, though. But maybe not. He was well regarded for his slot ability. But I think there’s a better shot he was there in the third than Stromberg would be there in the fourth.

Agree as for PFF on Stromberg

As I said the other day as to PFF specifically it makes so sense for them as to Stromberg.  They gave him really good grades for his play.  They have him with the 2nd highest grade (tied for 2nd) as a player among these centers.  They will say sometimes don't fixate on the aggregate score in cases when a player played lesser competition. OK, but Stromberg played in the SEC.

Kiper called it a reach, too. Disagree.  Late third seemed right.  

I think though its a toss up as to Martin being available in the late third versus Stromberg in the mid 4th.  I'd probably bet on Stomberg being there in the mid 4th versus Martin going late third.  But of course no way to know.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36187303/2023-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams-mel-kiper-steals-sleepers-favorite-picks-classes

Washington Commanders: B

Top needs entering the draft: CB, G/C, OT, QB, TE

So the Commanders really are going to go into the season with Sam Howell and Jacoby Brissett as their quarterbacks, huh? They passed on Will Levis and Hendon Hooker. I would have done differently, but at least I liked who they added in Round 1. I've been calling cornerback Emmanuel Forbes (16) this draft's "Splendid Splinter," because of his frame. He is a thin 6-foot-1 and 166 pounds. All he does is make plays, though. He had six pick-sixes and 14 total interceptions in his college career. He should play early and often in Washington.

The Commanders went back to the secondary in Round 2, picking my fourth-ranked safety Jartavius Martin (47), who played a lot as a nickel. They ranked 26th in takeaways last season (18), so they went all-in on needs. They also added two interior linemen with their next two picks. I thought they reached a round for center Ricky Stromberg (97), but the four-year starter is technically sound. Braeden Daniels (118) is light on his feet but undersized; he is my seventh-ranked guard.

The quarterback question likely will linger into 2024, and I'm not sure Washington hit all of its needs outside of the secondary with this class.

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 2.32.17 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Rodriguez seems to have fantastic balance after contact based on some of the cut ups I’ve seen of him.

Watched another game of Rodriguez this morning.  Man is he fun.     

Noticed he was ranked as the 4th best RB in one of my draft magazines. 

Keim's podcast this morning said they had Rodriguez rated as a third rounder.    Among other things they like his hands -- pass catching.  This was Bieiniemy's guy.

He said though they really loved J. Gibbs big time.

rodriguez.jpeg

rodriguez2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Enough of this “perfect fit, great choice, steal of the draft” fawning over newly minted millionaires.  Let’s get to the nitty gritty and start projecting some bust-a-roos.

You’ve got what, a 50% bust rate.  Which of these schlubs will be in the XFL or worse in 4 years?  Thinking in general, not specifically Commando shlubs

Edited by stoshuaj

2 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Enough of this “perfect fit, great choice, steal of the draft” fawning over newly minted millionaires.  Let’s get to the nitty gritty and start projecting some bust-a-roos.

You’ve got what, a 50% bust rate.  Which of these schlubs will be in the XFL or worse in 4 years?

lol, even higher than 50 -- 60% and change.

IMO low chance for being a bust

Forbes

Quan Martin

Stromberg

Rodriguez

Could be a bust

Daniels

Henry

Jones

Obviously the bust rate is high the deeper in the draft you go, so for example Jones is expected to be a bust by his draft status alone. 

I have to watch Henry still but based on his profile he can end up being just a guy.  Daniels is not a bad roll of the dice IMO -- but he's undersized for either guard or tackle, so I wouldn't be shocked if he ultimately doesn't make it, even though he was one of the O lineman i was intrigued about.  Know nothing about Jones but he comes off like a project and is already 24.

Forbes -- his sizes makes him a big of a wildcard but I still think low chance he's a bust.  Worse case he doesn't live up to his draft status.

Quan Martin -- IMO so many skills, good athlete, high intangibles -- be really surprised if he's a bust

Stromberg -- probably the player I trust the most to not be a bust.  Steady, high floor, does everything well. 

Rodriguez -- maybe he doesn't belong here for his DUI-suspension  -- so maybe his character is something to watch out for.  But purely as a player, players who play as violent as him with his kind of production, size and speed seem well suited to the NFL typically.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Kaz Allen who we signed as an UDFA can play. Dude is far better return man than anything we have had in a long time. He can also play WR and RB. Home run threat every time he touches the ball. Will be interesting to see what he does in preseason. 

Your history of right to wrong ratio in two forums here makes me hope this take is a departure from your norm.

😲👹😁😄

🤞🤞👍

• Haha 12

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

Your history of right to wrong ratio in two forums here makes me hope this take is a departure from your norm.

😲👹😁😄

🤞🤞👍

I didn’t even say he is making the team. But he is blazing fast and versatile. I have watched all his games. If he breaks a couple of punt returns in preseason he will make the team. If he doesn’t probably practice squad guy at best. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, even higher than 50 -- 60% and change.

You were in before my edit.  I wasn’t thinking Skins specific.   More so the 1st picks across the draft

But that’s some good stuff there as well

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rodriguez -- maybe he doesn't belong here for his DUI-suspension  -- so maybe his character is something to watch out for.  (Edited quoted post) 

I have personal and clinical perspectives on "drug/alcohol" issues but from both angles I emphasize how individuals and society at large will hold you accountable for your actions under the influence. 

But RR is a guy who, if he sees deserving and redemptive possibilities in the details of the case, will work with such as a knowledgeable and usually effective mentor.

He will do so only if he thinks there's a benefit to both the player side and personal side of the matter. I think he's good at it but it's always a tough call to predict the outcome in both areas. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I have personal and clinical perspectives on "drug/alcohol" issues but from both angles I emphasize how individuals and society at large will hold you accountable for your actions under the influence. 

But RR is a guy who, if he sees deserving and redemptive possibilities in the details of the case, will work with such as a knowledgeable and usually effective mentor.

He will do so only if he thinks there's a benefit to both the player side and personal side of the matter. I think he's good at it but it's always a tough call to predict the outcome in both areas. 

Makes sense.

The other component to it for me is Bieiniemy, also former RB, also had a DUI in his past.  Maybe he thinks he can help mentor him if need be.   This pick was driven by Bieiniemy according to Rivera. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d prefer Roullier to play and not be injured :)

No kidding? Interesting theory. 

3 hours ago, method man said:

I don’t mind taking Stromberg in rd 3. He was the last bigger center left. I think that Stromberg and Tippman are the two centers from this class who have Pro Bowl upside as these two have both size and the athleticism 

I don't mind Stromberg either there. I've been saying it was the pick for months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched another game of Rodriguez this morning.  Man is he fun.     

Noticed he was ranked as the 4th best RB in one of my draft magazines. 

Keim's podcast this morning said they had Rodriguez rated as a third rounder.    Among other things they like his hands -- pass catching.  This was Bieiniemy's guy.

He said though they really loved J. Gibbs big time.

rodriguez.jpeg

rodriguez2.jpeg

Thanks for this info.....I've been wishing for a power back for years now and we seem to have two now with BRob and this kid. Run the ball, control the clock, set up play action for the big strikes. 

• Like 1

75% of our snaps had 2 LBers on the field. 

It's like some people forget that the number 2 exists and think we went from a 43 to a dime.

4 DL

2 Safeties

2 CBs

2 LBers

and a guy who can play CB, S and LBer at times. Generally the nickle CB. It's why a guy like Quan is such a great pick for us.

That position, the BN, is more like an old school SS, while the SS and FS are more similar now. 

Call it nickel, joker, buffalo, slot.

That guy sometimes comes off or goes to a regular safety position and a pure CB will come in or another actual LB for a run/blitz scenario, 

Two Linebackers are generally on the field and we keep ignoring it. Drives me nuts. Maybe Barton is an upgrade to Holcomb. I don't know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

PFF ranking Stromberg in the 220s is a joke. He’d have been off the board real soon if we didn’t take him.

Martin I think is a possibility that he could have been there in the third, though. But maybe not. He was well regarded for his slot ability. But I think there’s a better shot he was there in the third than Stromberg would be there in the fourth.

Going off their player rankings and comments, I don't understand how the draft grade they gave the Commanders was as high as a B. Should have been C.

Totally agree with you on Strombergs ranking being off the mark. He would not have been available in the 4th. Knew they'd be taking OL with that 97. It was just question of which one, Strom, Dawand, Zavala, and the rest. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

75% of our snaps had 2 LBers on the field. 

It's like some people forget that the number 2 exists and think we went from a 43 to a dime.

4 DL

2 Safeties

2 CBs

2 LBers

and a guy who can play CB, S and LBer at times. Generally the nickle CB. It's why a guy like Quan is such a great pick for us.

That position, the BN, is more like an old school SS, while the SS and FS are more similar now. 

Call it nickel, joker, buffalo, slot.

That guy sometimes comes off or goes to a regular safety position and a pure CB will come in or another actual LB for a run/blitz scenario, 

Two Linebackers are generally on the field and we keep ignoring it. Drives me nuts. Maybe Barton is an upgrade to Holcomb. I don't know.

How did we not draft a LB??? 

Quan is my favorite player we drafted. Dude is going to be solid.

• Like 1