Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK fair enough.  But to that point.  i might have posted 1000 times over the years -- that the D line is rotational.  It's one of my calling card points if anything.    I was even good with them drafting a pass rusher in the first round for that reason.    I made that point multiple times on this very thread. 

But I get it you focused on that post alone and took it in a different direction.  It's cool. 

To clairify.  My point had nothing to do with D line versus the seconday. Zero. 

The point I made was in reference to a podcast i listened to where Pete Hailey didn't like them doubling up with two picks in the secondary.  So I said the Eagles also doubled up on the D line with back to back picks.  And its OK for them to hit the same spot back to back.  It's OK for us to do it, too.   Hailey's point wasn't that Martin wouldn't start.  His point was they should have switched to ANOTHER need position -- don't do two picks at the same spot.  His concern wasn't that Martin wouldn't play.  But its like hey lets do o line with the next pick, since we just did the secondary.  

I get your point, if your point was I saw Martin as a depth pick.  But nope. He's 100% a starter to me.   

What I said when they made the pick for Quan Martin is I love the player.   And he filled a specific hole that IMO still existed in the secondary at the slot spot.  

Also, this team seems to really struggle when they lose Kam Curl because of injury because of how eclectic his skills are as to serving numerous roles.  Martin is a similar cat, smaller size to Curl but he has similar swiss army skills.  I don't see Quan as a backup.  But i do like starters with position flex. 

So for me, loved the player, loved the fit.  Not because I saw him as a rotational player but i saw him as the nickel CB from day 1 -- replacing McCain in that role.   And its OK in my book to draft back to back at the same spot.  But yeah if they are using the 2nd back in the draft for a backup -- any backup -- "meh". 

And i agree with the D line adding players are not apples to apples like other spots.  it's a rotational spot.  It feels odd that i have to defend that spot -- your argument is almost my mantra on the draft thread -- let alone i need the point explained to me back by someone else.

But its cool.    We are more than the same page about the D line.  I know some who would disagree with you and me on it -- I've debated them plenty of times. :ols:

I like the Martin pick. It was my favorite one in the draft. I see him as a day 1 starter.  

But with Forbes, how does he start if they have BSJ and Fuller? I know Fuller is gone in 24, but I think releasing him now is risky.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I know you're a smart and well informed poster yourself, but I wonder if you don't read a lot in stadium.  @Skinsinparadise is one of the most thoughtful, sensible, and well informed posters in Stadium.  I would read his posts with a healthy heaping of benefit of the doubt.  If something seems off to you, it may make more sense in the broad context of his posts in general.

Agreed. Aside for some of his cut and pastes being fonts too big for a monitor. His posts are that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I like the Martin pick. It was my favorite one in the draft. I see him as a day 1 starter.  

But with Forbes, how does he start if they have BSJ and Fuller? I know Fuller is gone in 24, but I think releasing him now is risky.

lol, that's a diffferent discussion.  Keim brought up there is a chance that Fuller gets released.   Saves 8 million on the cap.  He's also a FA next year.

St. Juste is alas often hurt.  They clearly didn't feel confortable with those two as the starters at outside corner.  I gather one is released or is on the bench.  St. Juste gets hurt so often it could work out via osmosis.    

I recall seeing somewhere that this team if I recall played dime more than any other team. 

I've heard Keim among others say they like both St. Juste and Fuller at outside corner.  And they were looking for help at slot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I shouldn't be surprised we ignored LB again, but it is amazing.  With great depth at DL and DB, but not much for LB, maybe the plan is to stay in dime packages.  4th and inches.  Dime package!

I guess it's because of this "Buffalo Nickel" crap that Del Rio has us playing. Don't need 3 decent LB's  I hope he is gone next year. I also would LOVE a real MLB to go along with Davis. This piece-mealing stuff at really important positions is really getting to me.QB of your defense? Sign a guy another team cut. Not because he was too expensive, but because he just wasn't that good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, that's a diffferent discussion.  Keim brought up there is a chance that Fuller gets released.   Saves 8 million on the cap.

St. Juste is alas often hurt.  They clearly didn't feel confortable with those two as the starters at outside corner.  I gather one is released or is on the bench.  St. Juste gets hurt so often it could work out via osmosis.

I recall seeing somewhere that this team if I recall played dime more than any other team. 

I've heard Keim among others say they like both St. Juste and Fuller at outside corner.  And they were looking for help at slot.

We picked up Cam Dantzler on waivers as well. Interestingly (or perhaps worryingly) I’ve seen Dantzler listed as the NFL comparison for Forbes.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We picked up Cam Dantzler on waivers as well. Interestingly (or perhaps worryingly) I’ve seen Dantzler listed as the NFL comparison for Forbes.

I saw that and I think someone posted it in the thread.  Blew my mind, though.

Donald Duck Wow GIF by Amo Cruzeiro Disney

:229:The Rook

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah I actually like having some depth for a change.  Last year in particular the depth wasn't hot.

For whatever reason with CB and O line in particular there seems to be so much attrition, especially with this team. 

He's a better player now.  But I recall because of injury they had to play Danny Johnson if I recall when he was a rookie against Tampa.  I was at that game live and Tampa kept targeting him.  it was funny to see Jay's exasperated look on his face.  And eventually he benched him for another JAG, forgetting whom. 

Some GMs like to say you can never have enough corners.

Also i don't want to confuse the issue by speaking about teams going to empty sets, etc at times with 4 WRs on the field -- but its good to be able to match up to that when it happens. 

Some say the teams that can handle attrition as the season progesses, everything being equal, tend to have the best shot to make a good run in the playoffs.  Alas that theory isn't tested here much but someday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think unless Forbes bulks up, he will get crushed in training camp and be out for the year.

You are dangerously close to slipping into Skip Bayless "hot take" postings'

cary elwes buttercup GIF

:229:The Rook

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Hoover-ball said:

If he gains 14 pounds he weighs the same as Darrel Green when he came into the league. 

Yeah, but Green was 5’ 9”. 

That said while I think his weight is a legit concern in terms of tackling and forcing against the run - he was very durable in College.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yeah, but Green was 5’ 9”. 

That said while I think his weight is a legit concern in terms of tackling and forcing against the run - he was very durable in College.

If he gets around 180+ he'll be fine. I'm not really worried about that, I think he will get there.

• Like 3