Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Ian Rapoport, Shaka Toney (and others) suspended indefinitely for Gambling

Reaper Skins

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Calvin Ridley just got reinstated for this exact thing. A full year suspension.

I can't find the video now put someone but together a montage of his plays after he got caught and it sure looked like he was purposefully going down after some catches. 

Well that video is useless since Ridley only wagered on games when he was hurt, and he didn’t bet against the falcons. Unless he had some bets slip through the cracks that would make him wanna have less yards. Sounds more likely the person who posted the video is anti gambling or pro “NFL is rigged”.

Williams is only suspended for 6 games from what I read. I know he was injured last year, but they can definitely find someone to replace 1 catch for 40 yards in the first 6 games this year

not a huge loss initially, but definitely not an ideal start to a career

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

It is another example of being like the Scarecrow on the Wizard of Oz when he sings "If I only had a brain." It is know as the Wizard of Oz Syndrome. These guys come into the league and they go to indoctrination for rookies where they are taught the rules to keep them out of trouble. I guess they fell asleep.

14 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Well that video is useless since Ridley only wagered on games when he was hurt, and he didn’t bet against the falcons. Unless he had some bets slip through the cracks that would make him wanna have less yards. Sounds more likely the person who posted the video is anti gambling or pro “NFL is rigged”.

Probably, I can't find it anyways. I haven't found a lot of anti-gambling fans but the "NFL is Rigged" guys are everywhere. 

23 minutes ago, Fisher37 said:

No, he tripped over the damn rule he should have known.

We are going to pay you millions of dollars to play a game you have worked your ass off for. Please follow the rules we have set forth and all will be well. If you decide to break those rules you may see yourself out, and forfeit remaining dollors owed.  Please sign here for your dream to become a reality.

facepalm-dumbass.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kleese said:

Eh, it’s like saying NFL accepts money from beer companies so players should be able to get drunk in the lockeroom. 

There are rules and parameters for everything. Not that hard to stay within the lines. 

If someone was caught drinking in the locker room, I doubt they would get a 6 game suspension or an indefinite one. The NFL is cracking down on the gamblers because it makes the league look bad, so why invite gambling and the negative optics into the league at all?

Thats all I'm going to say about it for now until I can get a chance to read the details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He didn't do anything illegal. He tripped over some NFL hypocrisy. 

No he tripped over rules he should have known, sorry but this was an intelligence failure on his part. You want to bet get a friend or other family member to do it for you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

With the ubiquity of easy access legalized sports betting and the near limitless money one can make with real insider access and control of personnel and tactics, I predict that one day some head coach, general manager, or perhaps even owner will end up betting either for or heaven forbid against his team.

If the fans ever thought that the outcome of games were manipulated from the inside the NFL would never fully recover.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If the fans ever thought that the outcome of games were manipulated from the inside the NFL would never fully recover.

I think most of us already suspect and accept that the call is coming from inside the house. "Homefield advantage" and great teams getting close favorable calls already happen all the time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

I think most of us already suspect and accept that the call is coming from inside the house. "Homefield advantage" and great teams getting close favorable calls already happen all the time.

I agree, but that's not relevant to the discussion at hand.

There is a huge difference between merely "suspecting" or theorizing that there might be insider manipulation of game outcomes, which is as old as sport itself, and what I offered for  consideration.

All of us, at one time or another, after seeing something "suspicious" play out on the field have wondered if someone's thumb was on the scale. But that's just suspicion absent proof. Good fodder for arguments at the local tavern but nothing more, certainly not anything earth shattering.

What I'm postulating is something far more damaging to the league. 

I'm hypothesizing that if there was ever clear and convincing evidence that a head coach, a GM/chief executive, or an owner, all with the power to directly influence on and off  field events, ever bet on a game that their team played in, the damage to the league would be incalculable.

In the wake of that we would never again feel confident that a contest's outcome wasn't rigged.  Fans would be more hesitant to wager on games and there would almost certainly be diminished enthusiasm to watch football games.

This would adversely effect television ratings, sponsorships, and possibly run the risk of obliterating the NFLs fastest growing cash cow-- internet gaming itself.

It would be the  economic equivalent, for the NFL, of a category 5 hurricane busting through a trailer park.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

22 hours ago, DiscoBob said:

1) Dumb rule

2) Dumb to disregard the rule

This!  Both can be true. The rule is the rule regardless of how stupid. You signed a contract. Does not mean it's not a stupid rule that should be changed.

Just stupid to risk the kind of money these guys make on stupid **** like this. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1