Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

12 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Many of the fans that remember RFK fondly are those in their late 30s to 40s now.  30 and 40 something die hards are the parents of your future die hards and given the number of die hards I know, most of us were children of die hards ourselves. Further, many of 50 something fans will definitely be both physically and fiscally capable of enjoying going to games in our 60s and early 70s and will help pass our passion on to our grandchildren. I also am sure that many of those in their late 30s and 40s will also be physically capable for another 30, even 40 years.  We represent the people with the money and connections to help get the stadium built. Stadium building is not an investment that only pays off in 30 years but one that is expected to generate current revenues that at least finance the build process if not make a profit. While die hards are not where your going to see a real large growth in your fan base, we are also those that still pony up when things are bad.

Nothing you said is untrue, but it still represents a subset of a subset of the fanbase. They should be considered, but the "diehards" are not what they were even 5 years ago, continue to shrink based on the state of the team, name change, etc., and hold a smaller and smaller role in the future significance of the state of the fanbase. 

17 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Many of the fans that remember RFK fondly are those in their late 30s to 40s now.  30 and 40 something die hards are the parents of your future die hards and given the number of die hards I know, most of us were children of die hards ourselves. Further, many of 50 something fans will definitely be both physically and fiscally capable of enjoying going to games in our 60s and early 70s and will help pass our passion on to our grandchildren. I also am sure that many of those in their late 30s and 40s will also be physically capable for another 30, even 40 years.  We represent the people with the money and connections to help get the stadium built. Stadium building is not an investment that only pays off in 30 years but one that is expected to generate current revenues that at least finance the build process if not make a profit. While die hards are not where your going to see a real large growth in your fan base, we are also those that still pony up when things are bad.

Idk, I am 36. I attended one game, I think, in 1996 with my Dad. We sucked that year. No memory of the atmosphere whatsoever. I also started watching football games at a super young age. Buy my earliest memory of watching a game was a MNF against Dallas in 1992 or 1993. Otherwise, my core young football memories start really becoming stronger in the mid to late 1990's .... I am sure there are some in their late 30's who might remember the super bowl, but your "I grew up watching the good ol days at RFK" fans are easily well into their 40s if not 50s.

My dad was 24 when they won their first super bowl and 33 when they won their last. He is now 65.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 5

On 5/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, Koolblue13 said:

I think it'll be a rough couple of years. Especially if Harris wants to rebuild the way he did with the 76ers, but so so ****ing worth it.

Hopefully he treats it like a new team.

That's pretty much a bad strategy in the NFL. KC went from suck to playoff immediately, no multi-year rebuild. RAMS went from suck to playoffs in just one off-season mostly using personnel left over from the previous regime. Philadelphia Eagles have gone from bottom feeders to NFL overnight playoff contenders 3 times in the last 23 years.  This has generally been true since Lombardi took over 1-10 team and with almost no personnel changes, had them 7-5 the next year.  In my own experience as a Washington fan, George Allen had us in playoffs the year he took over.  Pardee failed to get us back after 3 years. Joe Gibbs had us win the SB in his second year. Turner had four very good teams while he was here and only took one to the playoffs.  OK, relatively great success quickly doesn't guarantee anything but unless you have success quickly, you likely never be successful. Yes, if 76er strategy succeeds, its fun for some but definitely not worth it for others, and it rarely works, at least in the NFL.  Hell, so far, as many other strategies that have also work in the NBA, it has not even proven to be worth it in the NBA. Most recent fail of using the 76er strategy in the NFL was Cleveland.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

That's pretty much a bad strategy in the NFL. KC went from suck to playoff immediately, no multi-year rebuild. RAMS went from suck to playoffs in just one off-season mostly using personnel left over from the previous regime. Philadelphia Eagles have gone from bottom feeders to NFL overnight playoff contenders 3 times in the last 23 years.  This has generally been true since Lombardi took over 1-10 team and with almost no personnel changes, had them 7-5 the next year.  In my own experience as a Washington fan, George Allen had us in playoffs the year he took over.  Pardee failed to get us back after 3 years. Joe Gibbs had us win the SB in his second year. Turner had four very good teams while he was here and only took one to the playoffs.  OK, relatively great success quickly doesn't guarantee anything but unless you have success quickly, you likely never be successful. Yes, if 76er strategy succeeds, its fun for some but definitely not worth it for others, and it rarely works, at least in the NFL.  Hell, so far, as many other strategies that have also work in the NBA, it has not even proven to be worth it in the NBA. Most recent fail of using the 76er strategy in the NFL was Cleveland.

KC was a talent packed perennial top 5 drafting team that was taken over by the best coach in the league. Rams sold out for one good year and are now looking liuke a top 5 drafting team again. The Eagles are a top 5 team in the league over the last 30 years who've written the script on how to step back for a couple years and reload. They also invest heavily in the lines and QB. We're not like any of those teams and I don't care what happened 30-40 years ago. 

Getting a top HC and QB is the key to being successful these days and lots of teams still do actual rebuilds and build off tanked years like Miami, Texans and Jags.

Harris just bought a team with a ****hole stadium, a dead or abused fanbase, no heritage, no respect, no free agents want to come here. It's a turd. A Loser franchise and it needs to be rebuilt in every single facet of operation. It would be nice to win a lot while we did it.   

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Harris just bought a team with a ****hole stadium, a dead or abused fanbase, no heritage, no respect, no free agents want to come here. It's a turd. A Loser franchise and it needs to be rebuilt in every single facet of operation.

You just made Major Tuddy cry.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This is me, kinda. I watched them from a younger age but the roster that really drew me in and made me a hardcore, ES-regular sort of fan was the one with Portis, Moss, Springs, ST obviously. 

Makes you wonder when this team is no longer a cesspool under new ownership, who are the current players that might spark that sort of new fandom/obsession. McLaurin is an easy one. Allen/Payne maybe. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Conn said:

This is me, kinda. I watched them from a younger age but the roster that really drew me in and made me a hardcore, ES-regular sort of fan was the one with Portis, Moss, Springs, ST obviously. 

Makes you wonder when this team is no longer a cesspool under new ownership, who are the current players that might spark that sort of new fandom/obsession. McLaurin is an easy one. Allen/Payne maybe. 

Same, the team started becoming actual players to me in 2005 instead of just people wearing the uniform. Like the connection, even if parasocial. I've been hooked like heroin since, which sucks. I wish 2012 didn't happen, because now it feels like it was "Here we go again with the good times!" to ". . .**** my life."

I'm extremely gun shy now, but McLaurin and Allen are making a good impression. I feel burnt by Young, never bought into the Guice stuff before we found out what he's like.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am holding out hope for Young to finally click this year to shut the constant crying about him

Crying? He’s a very disappointing player, I don’t think acknowledging that POV is “crying”. We usually use crying to describe stuff that is overblown or untrue. You’re using it pretty loosely here to describe the people who are actually rational on this issue, which is unusual. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Crying? He’s a very disappointing player, I don’t think acknowledging that POV is “crying”. We usually use crying to describe stuff that is overblown or untrue. You’re using it pretty loosely here to describe the people who are actually rational on this issue, which is unusual. 

I want to see him under Jeff Zgonina before I make any kind of judgement on him. And it's more the clowns like Bickel in the media who say stupid **** like "without his name, he's Dax Milne" that I just want to STFU. And Bickel says the dumbest **** alive...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am holding out hope for Young to finally click this year to shut the constant crying about him

I view him as one of the biggest waste of a pick ever.

I already think he won’t finish his next contract, whether that’s with us or elsewhere and be out of the league before that contract is due to expire.

Chase doesn’t have the desire to do what’s needed to be an nfl player.

The adjustment stuff was always a lock to happen, so that part means nothin to me, other than it was a waste to have the weird stuff in the first place.

I'm curious about the face-to-face meeting w/ the finance committee b4 approval tho. Is that normal? Why do we need it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The adjustment stuff was always a lock to happen, so that part means nothin to me, other than it was a waste to have the weird stuff in the first place.

I'm curious about the face-to-face meeting w/ the finance committee b4 approval tho. Is that normal? Why do we need it?

I thought I heard it was pretty typical of the finance committee to meet with the new buyer in person at least once.  I don’t know where I heard that but it would make sense. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, Darth Tater said:

Many of the fans that remember RFK fondly are those in their late 30s to 40s now.  30 and 40 something die hards are the parents of your future die hards and given the number of die hards I know, most of us were children of die hards ourselves.

This is some odd math. 

im 38 and grew up on a family that had season tickets. I went to a lot of games as a kid at rfk. In 1996 when they moved to fredex I was *checks notes* 10/11 years old. 

I have great memories there but that’s not exactly a commonly shared experience. Rfk was hard to get into if you didn’t have season tickets. And the real, real fun and good times were really the 80’s into the early 90’s, when I either didn’t exist or was 7 or 8 years old at best. 

The last generation of people that really are what you describe are probably 50+ now. The team hasn’t been what it was since 1991. Can you really be a die hard with stadium experience that “remembers” the good old days and have been younger than 20 in 1992? That would make you mid 50’s now at the earliest. 

anyone younger than that is living off memories of what they were told when they were younger. Even for me. Unless we want to start arguing 7 year olds are hard core into football…

fast forward, growing up, middle school and high school were times in my life that watched everyone around me pick other teams. It’s gone from “meh they suck” to “lol you’re a clown for being a fan of that pathetic organization”. 

there is an entire generation, or two, of people 20-50 lost as potential fans of this team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

Unless we want to start arguing 7 year olds are hard core into football…

I was born in 75, became a fan in 82.

When we lost to the Raiders I cried for hours and refused to go to school the next day, so it is possible but you're right it's probably a little rare for people that young to be die hards.

So at 47 years old I was a die hard through the glory years.

Had I been a local with parents who went to games I'd have fond memories of rfk, as it stands I have fond memories of watching the crowds go nuts on TV.

So it's pretty fair to say that the age range of people who have fond memories of rfk probably starts somewhere around 40 and works up from there.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I was born in 75, became a fan in 82.

When we lost to the Raiders I cried for hours and refused to go to school the next day, so it is possible but you're right it's probably a little rare for people that young to be die hards.

So at 47 years old I was a die hard through the glory years.

Had I been a local with parents who went to games I'd have fond memories of rfk, as it stands I have fond memories of watching the crowds go nuts on TV.

So it's pretty fair to say that the age range of people who have fond memories of rfk probably starts somewhere around 40 and works up from there.

This is about where I'm at. Born in 78 and I remember staying up until almost 4am listening to THE second quarter on the radio while living as a military brat in Germany at the time. Didn't make my first game in person until Nov 12, 2007 which ended up being the last game ST21 ever played. Still have the ticket stub to this day. 

• Like 3