Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Spending any sort of significant money on a RB goes against everything this FO believes in. It's not happening. Especially an older one with an injury history.

This FO was a part of trading assets and rewarding a RB with the biggest contract in history for a RB.  

Not at all saying it should happen, but the RB market has great value these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We haven't had a RB break a run of 40+ yards since Derrius Guice. Think about how long ago that was.

A dynamic game breaking back is a huge need for us.

I don't know how much of that is only RB related, and how much of it is blocking.  

For the better part of the Gruden tenure and then the entirety of the Rivera Era, we ran for 1 yard on first down pretty consistently.  Because we ran the same thing over and over and over again. Well, until EB didn't call running plays.

Typically you get the big runs because you get past a guy and run into a blitz, or away from an overload, or something like that.  Unless you're Barry Sanders and you make 14 guys miss even though there are only 11 guys on the field.

I think the big runs can come with Robinson, a new 3rd down back, and Rodriguez if the scheme and blocking (OL, TE and WR) is all better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

I like this statement from Peters!  :)  

With the current state of our roster I really dont. We need to spend some money on Edge, CB, TE and OL imo. We dont have near enough draft picks to make a rookie QB successful this year without using free agency. 

Edited by clskinsfan

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

With the current state of our roster I really dont. We need to spend some money on Edge, CB, TE and OL imo. We dont have near enough draft picks to make a rookie QB successful this year without using free agency. 

clskinsfan says

giphy.gif

;)

:229:The Rook

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

With the current state of our roster I really dont. We need to spend some money on Edge, CB, TE and OL imo.

With how bad we have played at those positions lately, a talent increase does not have to be expensive. We don't need to have the best, but we can achieve having better players without reaching to the top shelf.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We need to sign 25 players in free agency just to fill out the roster. We only have 25 players under contract.  We will draft 7-10.  

You can’t play football with 32 players.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

With how bad we have played at those positions lately, a talent increase does not have to be expensive. We don't need to have the best, but we can achieve having better players without reaching to the top shelf.

This is fair. I guess the key word from his statement was "a bunch". They may go after a couple of bigger names and go with mid range guys for the rest. 

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

This FO was a part of trading assets and rewarding a RB with the biggest contract in history for a RB.  

Not at all saying it should happen, but the RB market has great value these days. 

CMac is a unique player. More of a RB/WR hybrid. Also, the 9ers traded for him when they were already a contender and needed one more weapon to get over the hump. We are not at that stage of our team building.

I like what Peters was selling on Grant's show. Be smart, this team isn't contending this year so signing high priced aged veterans makes no sense until the staff knows what we have and what we need. For those who think we're going to be aggressive in free agency and max out the cap space, it sounds like you might be disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think that Peters wants to have salary built up and kept at a certain point to pay our own after drafting good players instead of the ones in the past.  Yes, FA money will be spent but probably in moderation.  

33 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I like what Peters was selling on Grant's show. Be smart, this team isn't contending this year so signing high priced aged veterans makes no sense until the staff knows what we have and what we need. For those who think we're going to be aggressive in free agency and max out the cap space, it sounds like you might be disappointed.

Peters was clear that he was setting expectations