Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Cousins to Denver 

Wilson to Minnesota 

Would like to see Howell get back shot with Harrison at Wr.

Given the cap hit Denver will take for Wilson, I cannot see any realistic way they could afford Cousins.  Howell is perfect for Denver because he is cheap.  But they are going to take a big cap hit to move on from Wilson.    Wilson to Denver could happen, but if they want an expensive veteran QB, why not just bring Cousins back for a couple more years.  There was a time Wilson was clearly better than Cousins--that time has passed.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

I can't imagine Minnesota starting over at the QB position if they do not have to. You have Jefferson lobbying for Cousin's return, plus the QB's they have gone through in his absence, Dobbs and Mullens, have not been good.  On this board we are talking about all the unknowns of drafting a new QB. With Cousin's you do not have that. He is very good. Not great but very good.  And from what I have heard in his interviews he wants to stay in Minnesota. I mean he has been there 8 years now. I think you could get 2-3 years more out of him.  

I agree about Cousins being very good. I remember reading they wanted to take Fields a couple years ago. They could not get him so they drafted Kellon Mond who busted. It just seems they would like to add a running option at Qb.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Cousins after injury. I could see ATLANTA looking at him. Cousin's is older so Minnesota has to start looking to the future. Cousin could possibly get a big contract from another team other then Minnesota. The other outside shot is San Francisco Qb bombs in playoff l, Cousin's could go to SF.

I guess big three to watch to possibly move.

K. Cousin's 

R. Wilson 

J. Fields

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

Given the cap hit Denver will take for Wilson, I cannot see any realistic way they could afford Cousins.  Howell is perfect for Denver because he is cheap.  But they are going to take a big cap hit to move on from Wilson.    Wilson to Denver could happen, but if they want an expensive veteran QB, why not just bring Cousins back for a couple more years.  There was a time Wilson was clearly better than Cousins--that time has passed.  

I think Wilson will be hungry and willing to sign cheap. Denver still has to pay his salary he is going to be looking for best place for him.

Maybe 

Jimmy G to Denver

R.Wilson to LV

Edited by Redskins 2021

9 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I agree about Cousins being very good. I remember reading they wanted to take Fields a couple years ago. They could not get him so they drafted Kellon Mond who busted. It just seems they would like to add a running option at Qb.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Cousins after injury. I could see ATLANTA looking at him. Cousin's is older so Minnesota has to start looking to the future. Cousin could possibly get a big contract from another team other then Minnesota. The other outside shot is San Francisco Qb bombs in playoff l, Cousin's could go to SF.

K. Cousin's 

R. Wilson 

J. Fields

I think Wilson will be hungry and willing to sign cheap. Denver still has to pay his salary he is going to be looking for best place for him.

Maybe 

Jimmy G to Denver

R.Wilson to LV

The idea of Cousin's going to San Francisco is intriguing. We all know that at one point the rumors were that Shanahan was interested in Cousin's. San Fran has a lot of talent, and we know how quickly the window closes. If Purdy does not get them to the promise land, they will dump him. If Cousin stays with Minnesota, it is pretty clear he needs O line help, definitely a new RB, and an EDGE. It would not hurt them to pick up another receiver as well.   But I agree they should pick up a QB in the draft. I am not sure where they are picking in the draft now but if JJ McCarthy is there, they could draft him. 

Who is going to want R Wilson? I think it could be the Atlanta Falcons if Cousin's does not wind up there. Anyone would be a step up from Ridder and Heinike. But Wilson is having a lot of issues. A lot of interceptions, difficulty with accuracy, and maybe dealing with an injury to his throwing shoulder.  I do know that when he was with the Seahawks, they tried to open up the offense by having him play from the pocket and dropback, but it did not work as effectively as having him as a runner, and running play-action, moving from the pocket, which has him playing faster.  Moving from the pocket always created open spaces for him to throw. SO, the question is, what is Wilson willing to do? He is 5'11 tops and he needs to be able to see the field. I think he does function better running play-action, but is he willing to do that? Has he lost a step or two? 

I don't like Jimmy G. My criticism is he is very inconsistent and overrated. Let's face it., He has had only a small amount of success in the NFL, has battled injuries, and he has thrown a lot of INTs.  He might be taller, able to scan the field, but he throws a lot of INTs, which means he is not accurately deciphering what is going on. I could not see a smooth marriage between him and Payton. 

I still think J Fields will be with the Bears at the end of the season. He has played much better in the second half. I see a scenario where they wind up with Harrison Jr. Immediately that takes Fields up even another notch.  They have a lot of pressing issues they need to address.  I guess we will see. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Trade Jon Allen to a contender to do right by him and then sign one of the big $ edge guys in FA. If you're going to have two big $ guys on the D line, it should be a DT (Payne) and an edge guy (DE or OLB). Not two DT. And you shouldn't have three big $ guys on the line.

Someone like Brian Burns or Danielle Hunter would provide veteran leadership and complement Payne better than Allen.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Gotcha. Nevertheless, with Wilson's humongous dead cap charge, Denver won't be able to spend big for a veteran like Cousins. They're going to get somebody cheap - either a rookie, or someone on a rookie contract, or a cheap stop-gap veteran.

A little off topic, but it'll be interesting to see what Denver does this offseason. Even before the Russ situation they were over the cap for next year. Now it looks like they are approaching 70 mil over it. Normally, it would seem like a good rebuilding opportunity and guys like Simmons, Bolles, Judy and Sutton to go on the trade block. But I can't picture Sean Payton being onboard with a long-term project. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

The idea of Cousin's going to San Francisco is intriguing. We all know that at one point the rumors were that Shanahan was interested in Cousin's. San Fran has a lot of talent, and we know how quickly the window closes. If Purdy does not get them to the promise land, they will dump him. If Cousin stays with Minnesota, it is pretty clear he needs O line help, definitely a new RB, and an EDGE. It would not hurt them to pick up another receiver as well.   But I agree they should pick up a QB in the draft. I am not sure where they are picking in the draft now but if JJ McCarthy is there, they could draft him. 

Who is going to want R Wilson? I think it could be the Atlanta Falcons if Cousin's does not wind up there. Anyone would be a step up from Ridder and Heinike. But Wilson is having a lot of issues. A lot of interceptions, difficulty with accuracy, and maybe dealing with an injury to his throwing shoulder.  I do know that when he was with the Seahawks, they tried to open up the offense by having him play from the pocket and dropback, but it did not work as effectively as having him as a runner, and running play-action, moving from the pocket, which has him playing faster.  Moving from the pocket always created open spaces for him to throw. SO, the question is, what is Wilson willing to do? He is 5'11 tops and he needs to be able to see the field. I think he does function better running play-action, but is he willing to do that? Has he lost a step or two? 

I don't like Jimmy G. My criticism is he is very inconsistent and overrated. Let's face it., He has had only a small amount of success in the NFL, has battled injuries, and he has thrown a lot of INTs.  He might be taller, able to scan the field, but he throws a lot of INTs, which means he is not accurately deciphering what is going on. I could not see a smooth marriage between him and Payton. 

I still think J Fields will be with the Bears at the end of the season. He has played much better in the second half. I see a scenario where they wind up with Harrison Jr. Immediately that takes Fields up even another notch.  They have a lot of pressing issues they need to address.  I guess we will see. 

I can't figure out what Denver will do at Qb? Got to be cheap because of salary cap. I just don't know where they will go and get better. These are all cheap probably available players.

Mac Jones 

Jimmy G 

K. Pickett 

Z. Wilson 

Edited by Redskins 2021

Russel Wilson -Giants or SF 

Cousins -staying in Minny

Jimmy G  -back ups the Texans or Bears 

Jacoby Brisett -To titans or something 

Howell- stays here and becomes our back up QB 

Joe Flacco- Patriots 

Mac Jones - traded to Chiefs 

Bakers - Returns to Bucs 

Jamis Winston-Denver 

Edited by Commander202

16 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Russel Wilson -Giants or SF 

Cousins -staying in Minny

Jimmy G  -back ups the Texans or Bears 

Jacoby Brisett -To titans or something 

Howell- stays here and becomes our back up QB 

Joe Flacco- Patriots 

Mac Jones - traded to Chiefs 

Bakers - Returns to Bucs 

Jamis Winston-Denver 

Russell Wilson is not going to SF; he’s the anthesis of everything Shanny wants in a QB. He does his best work off schedule/structure. It’s  not a good fit. I could see Atlanta or NYG.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I can't figure out what Denver will do at Qb? Got to be cheap because of salary cap. I just don't know where they will go and get better. These are all cheap probably available players.

Mac Jones 

Jimmy G 

K. Pickett 

Z. Wilson 

A lot of reclamation projects there if you ask me. But Daboll is familiar with Mac Jones so he could wind up in New York. Don't see them parting ways with Daniel Jones yet. Maybe a competition? But if they pick up a QB in the draft, I do not think Mac Jones would be invited in. Bue he could wind up in San Francisco with the QB whisperer, Shanahan. Maybe even Minnesota.  He needs an offensive minded coach and a QB coach. 

Zach Wilson could stay with the Jets as they revert back to their original plan before Rodgers went out 4 plays into the season but I HIGHLY doubt it.  I think they will just release him.  I can't see him catching on with any team really. He does not have a lot of "wow" plays on his resume and seems to struggle with the easy stuff.  But can he be reformed if he placed with an offensive minded HC. Maybe Minnesota? Or backup to Matthew Stafford with McVay?

Now K Pickett...I don't think he goes anywhere.  Now someone Pittsburg, could bring in, and let's face it, Tomlin likes reclamation projects, from time to time, is R. Wilson. It is a possible.  

I do not have a destination for Jimmy G. He has had a lot of opportunities. He is now entered the backup stage of his career IMO.  

The only positive about a team signing Russell Wilson is he will play for the vet minimum salary, due to all his salary guaranteed from the Broncos. At least that is what Mike Florio said on PFT. He also said why would he ask for more money from the team that signs him when he can stick it to the Broncos. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

The only positive about a team signing Russell Wilson is he will play for the vet minimum salary, due to all his salary guaranteed from the Broncos. At least that is what Mike Florio said on PFT. He also said why would he ask for more money from the team that signs him when he can stick it to the Broncos. 

Thank goodness we weren't the team that signed Russ to that crazy freaking contract

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

On 12/28/2023 at 11:02 PM, Redskins 2021 said:

K. Cousin's 

R. Wilson 

J. Fields

Maybe 

Jimmy G to Denver

R.Wilson to LV

Howell lit up Denver back in September, maybe they'll remember that and offer us a 1st round pick for him? 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Russell Wilson is not going to SF; he’s the anthesis of everything Shanny wants in a QB. He does his best work off schedule/structure. It’s  not a good fit. I could see Atlanta or NYG.

I disagree on that about what Kyle wants lol. He easily more athletic and better than Purdy especially if you give them what SF has. 

Atlanta going keep henickie 

1 hour ago, Commander202 said:

I disagree on that about what Kyle wants lol. He easily more athletic and better than Purdy especially if you give them what SF has. 

Atlanta going keep henickie 

Then you have a misunderstanding of what Kyle wants imo. There’s a reason he wanted Cousins, and Purdy fits that same mold. Athleticism is great, ability to create when things break down is great—but someone like Kyle wants to control the joystick. He obsessively designs a world class offense that keeps things on schedule, gets guys open, and creates  insane YAC opportunities. He’s the sort of control freak who wishes he could reach through the headset and pull the trigger himself from the pocket. These sorts of dudes (Cousins, Purdy) are as close as he can get to that, and Russ isn’t that at all. There are limitations with this of course, which is what McVay realized with Goff and why he wanted Stafford. You need someone with the gumption to operate inside the system until they see the opportunity for the kill shot. Remains to be seen if Purdy develops into that guy or if he has to just live within the structure of Kyle’s brilliant scheme. 

Anyways, Russ has been awful in structure for Payton, and that offense has only created this year when Russ has gotten outside the structure and tried to conjure some of his old magic. He’d be a horrible fit for Kyle Shanahan (especially because his old trump card, that athleticism and creativity, is waning as he ages). 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Then you have a misunderstanding of what Kyle wants imo. There’s a reason he wanted Cousins, and Purdy fits that same mold. Athleticism is great, ability to create when things break down is great—but someone like Kyle wants to control the joystick. He obsessively designs a world class offense that keeps things on schedule, gets guys open, and creates  insane YAC opportunities. He’s the sort of control freak who wishes he could reach through the headset and pull the trigger himself from the pocket. These sorts of dudes (Cousins, Purdy) are as close as he can get to that, and Russ isn’t that at all. There are limitations with this of course, which is what McVay realized with Goff and why he wanted Stafford. You need someone with the gumption to operate inside the system until they see the opportunity for the kill shot. Remains to be seen if Purdy develops into that guy or if he has to just live within the structure of Kyle’s brilliant scheme. 

Anyways, Russ has been awful in structure for Payton, and that offense has only created this year when Russ has gotten outside the structure and tried to conjure some of his old magic. He’d be a horrible fit for Kyle Shanahan (especially because his old trump card, that athleticism and creativity, is waning as he ages). 

They also have a QB who is going to finish in the top 5 in the MVP voting and who will earn essentially nothing for the next two years, while they have no cap space. 

Even if they could get Cousins, whom Shanahan has always loved, for some ridiculously low price, say $15 mil per year, they wouldn't do it. 

For Russ, who will also likely coat more than that, it's completely out of the question. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, Est.1974 said:

So Leno to IR

Think I’d be tempted to renegotiate his deal for next year, drop that 11mil salary by half and see if he wants to stick around for another year. OL depth is very difficult to find.

I doubt he does that. After Tyron Smith, he would probably be the best FA tackle as it stands if he were released. Wouldn’t make any sense for him to take a paycut.

• Thumb up 1

One guy on the Niners everyone should keep an eye on today is Oren Burks. He’s a 28 year old who was a core special teamer until this year. He finally got a chance to be the starting SAM (playing on base downs) after Al Shaair left for Tennessee. He has ran with the opportunity and balled out this season. He had the highest PFF coverage grade for all LBs thru 9 weeks. My guess is he can play green dot ILB. I like that his coverage prowess would balance Jamin’s lack of it.

Doesn’t surprise me he is succeeding as a late bloomer. We are seeing this happen with EJ Speed in Indy and others across the league as well. Off ball LB is a difficult position to play in today’s NFL and it can take years to pick it up

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, method man said:

One guy on the Niners everyone should keep an eye on today is Oren Burks. He’s a 28 year old who was a core special teamer until this year. He finally got a chance to be the starting SAM (playing on base downs) after Al Shaair left for Tennessee. He has ran with the opportunity and balled out this season. He had the highest PFF coverage grade for all LBs thru 9 weeks. My guess is he can play green dot ILB. I like that his coverage prowess would balance Jamin’s lack of it.

Doesn’t surprise me he is succeeding as a late bloomer. We are seeing this happen with EJ Speed in Indy and others across the league as well. Off ball LB is a difficult position to play in today’s NFL and it can take years to pick it up

That's my God Bro lol. Love to see it.

Anything you can say about his play, he is a better person.

Totally the kind of guy any org would love to bring into the fold.

Going to go see him play in person today and plan on talking all kinds of trash.

He will have a contingent here so expect him to be amped.

• Like 2

At WR, pending what we plan to do in this deep draft class and whether we get one of the top alpha type guys (Evans/Higgins) in the opening days of FA…

A lesser heralded guy I’d like to take a look at is Juaun Jennings. He was a favorite sleeper of mine the year he came out and he’s slowly developed into a clutch role player for Kyle Shanahan. He’s smart enough to be trusted in that offense, he can run routes, more of a possession guy—and most importantly he fights for YAC and blocks his ass off in the running game, both essential traits to get snaps and touches in Kyle’s offense. Shouldn’t be too expensive because he’s obviously not a WR1 or even WR2.