Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It’s simple. If you’re going for a full rebuild, you don’t hold onto players on big contracts at the peak of their prime. 

Let them go elsewhere to win. The picks you get back for them can be used to replace them for cheaper and longer runways. 

the sense is they’re going for a full rebuild. Allen has already come and said he doesn’t want to go through another rebuild. Idk about Terry but he’s well into the peak WR career (he entered the league old). 

we don't need a full rebuild.  This collapse is like the collapse at the end of Gruden's run, where the next year we were right back where we had been before he left

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, dunfer said:

I think Trent loved this team even though it was a **** hole. I think he finally just had a mid life crisis...cancer scares will do that

Ok

I think Trent liked getting paid here until the owner, organization  and coach dropped the empathy ball concerning Trent's condition.  At that point, he HATED this organization.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. We absolutely need a full rebuild. And if it doesnt happen this time I may be done with this team. We have not had a full rebuild in 30 years.

FO and coaching needed the full rebuild. Weve got some good players here and there

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Oh boy. The notion that we can get back to being a team only a couple of games from a winning record.

giphy.gif

my point in if we're actually that, which I think we are, we're only a few good players away from a winning record

27 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Harris has already laid his hand out for all to see. We were trading at the deadline. A full rebuild is coming. And thank Christ it is. 

trading people who were already likely leaving just give us more ammunition for putting good players around the players we kept

35 minutes ago, MrJL said:

my point in if we're actually that, which I think we are, we're only a few good players away from a winning record

trading people who were already likely leaving just give us more ammunition for putting good players around the players we kept

idk, Harris in his recent appearance didn’t sound like a man interested in merely being a few good players away from a winning record 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I disagree. But even if I didn't, my point was that setting a "winning record" as a goal is exactly what defines terrible organizations. Of which we have been more guilty of than anyone for the last quarter century. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I disagree. But even if I didn't, my point was that setting a "winning record" as a goal is exactly what defines terrible organizations. Of which we have been more guilty of than anyone for the last quarter century. 

I don't believe you can go from lousy to great without intermediate steps, so getting a winning record consistently is always going to be the only goal I believe in from where we are

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I don't believe you can go from lousy to great without intermediate steps, so getting a winning record consistently is always going to be the only goal I believe in from where we are

getting into the playoffs every year is the goal.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. We absolutely need a full rebuild. And if it doesnt happen this time I may be done with this team. We have not had a full rebuild in 30 years.

Just a question.....if a team only wins 4 games how is anything they do considered a re-build? We don't have any building blocks as it is.....isn't a rebuild done after a team was once good and got old? 

I'd argue that we need a build....with a reputable builder to construct this building. But I'm just being a smart ass. However, I just think we need the right staff building onto what we already have which could be much better with better coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Not really. A rebuild means blowing the entire ****ing thing up and building back up again from scratch. Which is going to happen anyways. So I am done bantering about it.

rebuild the FO, let them rebuild the coaching staff, let them coach up the roster that they have inherited.

New FO drafts better and wins in FA in future years

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

A full rebuild is not needed if you know what the hell you are doing or going to do. Smart FO people matter and coaching matters the most and then selecting the players to compliment what you already have. This team was a playoff team if only the OL was decent and the D had actually played like last year.

To me that is not full rebuild. No different than me taking the old shed sitting on a rotted floor since the previous owner didn't think it would be smart to put on a sound and waterproof base to build the shed on. Some of the walls were okay but the foundation needed to be replaced. The roof needed new shingles. This shed didn't need a full rebuild. Even if had gone to Home Depot to get the whole shed but the new shed would still need to be built on a sound foundation. Build the house on a good foundation from the pieces you have and from the pieces you will need. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You guys are free to call it whatever you want to call it.  But I’ll defer to whoever is hired as to what needs to be done.  We will know quickly, how the talent on this roster is valued, by whatever moves they do and don’t make.  

We arent top heavy with contracts, but I guess we can rebuild allen payne and terry.

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

There's a huge difference between a potentially great team taking steps not he way to greatness and a team that's just built to be "ok" and trying to build a great team from there. 

With the latter, you need an incredible amount of luck to get to the top (like Tom Brady deciding to come there and bring Gronk with him)

30 minutes ago, dunfer said:

getting into the playoffs every year is the goal.

there's 17 games in the season and seven playoff spots.  8-9 will likely do that most years for at least one team

Just to be clear that's not what I'm saying settle for, I'm saying that may no longer be a good metric of good

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It’s simple. If you’re going for a full rebuild, you don’t hold onto players on big contracts at the peak of their prime. 

Let them go elsewhere to win. The picks you get back for them can be used to replace them for cheaper and longer runways. 

the sense is they’re going for a full rebuild. Allen has already come and said he doesn’t want to go through another rebuild. Idk about Terry but he’s well into the peak WR career (he entered the league old). 

I am not trading players that earn their money, period. It's not like they are in a contract year. You can redo contracts if you need a little cap space but right now they are not and we have the cap room. I like to cut the ones that are not earning their money. Samuels would never get another contract anything close to what he got before. Logan Thomas is another and a june 1 cut, they are not getting anything in a trade. The 2 free agent OL we signed last year, june 1 cuts too. Gibson, take a  late comp pick? Just get rid of the Pork. Dobson take what you can get, lose a little cap space, his career is going south right now. Remove the dead weight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I am not trading players that earn their money, period. It's not like they are in a contract year. You can redo contracts if you need a little cap space but right now they are not and we have the cap room. I like to cut the ones that are not earning their money. Samuels would never get another contract anything close to what he got before. Logan Thomas is another and a june 1 cut, they are not getting anything in a trade. The 2 free agent OL we signed last year, june 1 cuts too. Gibson, take a  late comp pick? Just get rid of the Pork. Dobson take what you can get, lose a little cap space, his career is going south right now. Remove the dead weight.

You're not helping your case on well thought out decisions. You led off with a guy who's about to be a free agent.  This is Samuel's last year, the other years on his contract or void years.  Thomas cannot be June 1 since next year is the last year of his contract.  Gibson is also a free agent.  Dotson is only in his second year. 

The only thing you're right about is Wylie and Gates

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

there's 17 games in the season and seven playoff spots.  8-9 will likely do that most years for at least one team

Just to be clear that's not what I'm saying settle for, I'm saying that may no longer be a good metric of good

just constantly get the team to that final table. Its a task that isnt easy anymore in our division