Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Just now, CommandB11 said:

I cannot express strong enough my dissapointment in the new ownership already. Good teams do not give away young talent for next to nothing.

You get a 3rd and a top 3 2nd for 2 guys who were free agents.  You still have the same opportunity to sign in the off-season as you do now

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Multiple beat reporters have pushed that this was Harris. There is also no way on Earth Ron does this to himself.

Ron's phone rings:

"Hey Ron, it's Josh.  Yeah. Your team sucks.  You suck.  Jack sucks.  Your off-season sucked.  Your draft sucked.  Tell you what, sell what you can on defense.  Keep developing Howell.  I'm going to fire you soon.  But until then, you're going to have to captain this sinking **** show of a ship you put together.  Get as many assets as you can for the next guy to rebuild the team we're tearing down today.

Hope you're having a good day. I'll call again when I'm going to fire you.  No need to say anything.

Toodaloo MFer"

Click."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

@Going Commando Harris is not working the phones negotiating with teams, he's giving the FO a directive to sell. That is ownership's appropriate role and happens across sports.

He's a good poster, but he's obviously so invested in Sweat and Young that he's been going off on this line, which is frankly comical. As I pointed out, it's naive to a crazy level to think every NFL owner isn't involved in these decisions to some degree. To have an owner telling a lame duck regime they need to make moves to benefit the future of the franchise rather than the usual "ooh, maybe we can make a miracle 8-9 playoff appearance" is something to be celebrated. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Nice trade (the Sweat one I didn’t see the Chase one until now 😆) I think this is by far Ron’s worst coaching job. I’ll be happy when we have a new FO, we need a reboot.

But this talk about Ron trying to torpedo a deal or block a trade out of spite feels like a reach. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

Josh may have applied pressure but I doubt very seriously he was using his own football acumen to make these decisions. My guess is he has a few football people that explained the pros and the cons and put it on a silver platter for him to make a decision.

There's nothing Snyderish about this, it's smart business.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

What I'm curious about is, what kind of contract does Young get next season.  And is it from SF?  If all you're giving up is a compensatory 3rd, kinda lessens the need to justify having to re-sign him.  Get him for the SB run, see how it goes.  

I might be wrong but for the 49ers.. they give up next year's 2024 3rd round comp pick for using Chase Young this year on last year of his rookie contract AND at worst, a 3rd round comp pick in 2025.

So we did get something for Chase so I am happy with that but 49ers did not give up very much.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes I do. Because he's owned two other sports franchises and seen both of them go from losers to at least solid winners. Football may not be hockey or basketball but the same principles apply when it comes to knowing when to bottom out and trying to set up a future where you can win championships instead of just trying to strive for 9-8 and a Wild Card and then watching the players walk away for nothing in FA. Hes maximizing assets and doing whats in the franchise's best interest long term. He's taking a cold ruthless approach and I personally love it.

This is nowhere near the same as Snyder coming off his yacht and demanding a coach/FO that HE hired draft a QB. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

I can't believe anyone could look at what the 76ers have done over the last 12 years and think that speaks well of Josh Harris's ability to manage a sports franchise.  And even if they were actually good and expertly managed and a contender in their league instead of being one of the biggest disappointments who squandered the biggest haul of draft picks in NBA history, that's basketball.  That's not football, and not the NFL.  Harris has been an NFL owner for five minutes, he doesn't have the first clue about how this league or this game works.  He shouldn't be forcing player personnel moves at all, much less trading off two of our top five players.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think its near the same thing.

The new ownership has to make moves for the long term health of the franchise because the current staff can't be trusted to. This is a staff the owners inherited and are essentially stuck with.

I don't think this will be standard operating procedure for Harris once he gets his people into place.

Yep. He's getting to his long range plan as quickly as he can.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Josh may have applied pressure but I doubt very seriously he was using his own football acumen to make these decisions. My guess is he has a few football people that explained the pros and the cons and put it on a silver platter for him to make a decision.

There's nothing Snyderish about this, it's smart business.

It is easy to see...

We NEED to get OL to protect Sam Howell.  Once we take care that then we can worry about other parts of the roster like DE.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

I don't mind that they traded young. I'm just disappointed in the return and I'm absolutely disgusted by the fact that it's Kyle shanahan in the 49ers.  We are going to see Trent Williams and Chase Young holding up a Lombardi and it's going to make me want to puke.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

I cannot express strong enough my dissapointment in the new ownership already. Good teams do not give away young talent for next to nothing.

Neither player is under contract next year.

Both players want to secure the bag.

Neither player is really worth the bag they covet.

The market is what the market is.  Something is better than nothing.  And today is pretty much a wash, getting a premium for Sweat and disappointing return on Young.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, steve09ru said:

You get a 3rd and a top 3 2nd for 2 guys who were free agents.  You still have the same opportunity to sign in the off-season as you do now

On top of that you may have an opportunity to replace one or both with someone playing on a rookie contract.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Young's talent is overrated and not valued highly by the rest of the league.

More like league thinks they can walk all over the current/new regime.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I wouldnt call a top of the 2nd rd pick for Sweat "next to nothing".

Not talking bout Sweat.