Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

On 10/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, Thinking Skins said:

I'm sitting here looking at David Carr and the way people compare Howell to him saying we don't want Howell to become another Carr, we'd think Carr is cursed ground. 

Dude won rookie of the year. 

Had a 14.6 sack percent in his first year - 444 attempts

Had a 4.8 sack percent in his second year. (when they got him a 1000 yard back, wonder how that works) - 295 attempts

Had a 9.5 sack percent in his third year (again with a 1000 yard back) - 466 attempts

His 4th year his sack percent was 13.8 but his RB got hurt and they had a horrible year overall - 423 attempts

His 5th year his sack percent was 8.5 with no real running game - 442 attempts

So was he a top QB, no. But he was able to lower his sack numbers to the point where the Texans were competitive with him. 

Edited by skinsfan66
should not have responded it was posted in wrong thread.

2 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Josh Harris needs to demand they trade one of them immediately. Idc if people say it’s meddling. It would be malpractice to let one walk away for free. 

Malpractice to trade Chase Young. He must be part of any plans moving forward. He’s box office and good. Would be shocked if Harris and company let that type of star power go. 

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Malpractice to trade Chase Young. He must be part of any plans moving forward. He’s box office and good. Would be shocked if Harris and company let that type of star power go. 

I disagree in that it looks like an entire rebuild is coming from the bottom up, and if that's the case, by the time Chase is able to really be impactful to a winning team, he'll be massively expensive and past his prime.

I am not a Chase Hater.  But the way he's playing, maybe somebody would jar a 1st or 2nd, and I'd take it.  

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I disagree in that it looks like an entire rebuild is coming from the bottom up, and if that's the case, by the time Chase is able to really be impactful to a winning team, he'll be massively expensive and past his prime.

I am not a Chase Hater.  But the way he's playing, maybe somebody would jar a 1st or 2nd, and I'd take it.  

You don’t trade a 24 year old top 10 pass rusher for a second. 

I’d only move chase if it were part of a package to get a top pick for a QB.

• Like 1

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

You don’t trade a 24 year old top 10 pass rusher for a second. 

I’d only move chase if it were part of a package to get a top pick for a QB.

You do when he’s a free agent and no guarantee to come back. Between him and Sweat, if there aren’t any guarantees they re-sign, you move one if there is a decent offer. You can hold the other one hostage (er, I mean… tag them) but one of them is going to be roaming free…

• Like 2

Personally, I don't feel that Sweat is nearly the talent that Chase is. I'd move Sweat to someone like the Raiders (who have 9 picks in the upcoming draft and have expressed interest in adding an edge rusher), tag Chase and try to work out a longer-term deal.

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Hot take, Id honestly move Terry McLaurin before I moved Chase. Chase is 4 years younger and plays a position that is harder to fill. People grab FA WR’s all the time. Draft guys in the mid rounds. 

Yeah, obviously a hot take. But one I mostly disagree with because I’m not moving any pieces that can help the growth and development of a QB (whether it’s Howell or not). There’s a force-multiplier value there that not a single defensive player on this roster provides. 

• Like 3

Dotson hasn't become a top tier receiver, so I think you most certainly have to keep Terry.

They need to be feeding Terry more. 10 reception 100+ yard type games. There are quarters and half's where they figure it out, but he should be the focal point.

Sweat seems like the most likely to be moved at the deadline. He has a lot to offer and I can't see how a 2nd rounder is unreasonable for his talent.

Chase will be franchised.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Wtf are the Titans like the Eagles minor league feeder team or something? Next thing you know they're gonna be dealing Derrick Henry for a 2025 5th.

They will probably make a move like that btw lol. I predict it’ll be for a 2024 4th and another late pick though 

The most marketable players are the 1 year rentals. Lot of talk about Chase and Sweat and get why but the following guys are options to move as well for mid round value:

- Fuller

- Curl

- Brissett

- Samuel

The following could bring back low round value:

- Any of the three rotational DEs - maybe a 7th or swapping a 6th for our 7th

- Charles - if a team has a major injury issue on the interior

- Gibson

You may argue to just sit and wait on the comp picks but I’d rather get picks sooner

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dude is 25, how long is this rebuild you speak of  going to take lol

Edited by wit33

Just now, philibusters said:

He is actually 24 and won't turn 25 until April 19th.   

We're letting a potential All Pro edge rusher walk into free agency when he's 24... Stuff like this just never happens in the NFL, except to us.  The more sacks and pressures Chase racks up, the more it's going to set in how big a mistake we've made in the way we handled his contract.  The next front office is going to have to franchise him, and the cost of this mistake is going to be Montez Sweat.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We're letting a potential All Pro edge rusher walk into free agency when he's 24... Stuff like this just never happens in the NFL, except to us.  The more sacks and pressures Chase racks up, the more it's going to set in how big a mistake we've made in the way we handled his contract.  The next front office is going to have to franchise him, and the cost of this mistake is going to be Montez Sweat.

This regime I get the impression from what beat guys have suggested and Ron's owns comments has some odd passive aggressive relationship with Chase.

I don't think its a coincidence that Keim says, if they had to choose, they'd definitely choose Sweat to keep and the rumors about trades also center more on Chase.

But I am with you if I had to choose, I'd choose to keep Chase.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Good thing we didn’t draft Darrisaw. 🙄

Such bad drafting. I really wanted to stay put and take Olave. Nobody wanted Jamin Davis. Nobody here wanted Forbes although some of us talked ourselves into the pick afterwards. 

It figures that next year’s FA class looks so weak when we have a bunch of money we could spend.