Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

Welp, that would be an absolute nightmare scenario. 

Would constitute immediate firing of everyone by new ownership.

I would HOPE that changing ownership / clean slate would prevent NFL from taking too much draft capital. I hate to think Goodell/NFL would take away high pick value from new ownership for transgressions of previous ownership/management.

Sucks either way.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough to figure out.  Cosmi interchanged in some games in those positions.  I know one of the PFF guys who charted him said he played worse in a couple of games where he played worse at guard but he also defended that by saying he's not used to that spot.  Gates by reputation is a better center than guard.

My concern with Cosmi isn't his play but can he stay healthy?  Same with St. Juste on defense.

Gotcha.  And yeah, I agree health is the biggie for Cosmi, I think he’ll probably be decent at minimum.  I was just curious what his starting baseline is at guard (roughly speaking).

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim doubled down today on his podcast that Nowell will be released.  Agree that the depth is better at center.  Worse at guard IMO.  Depth to me is a wash from last off season unless we run with the theory that center is more important than guard so depth at center is more meaningful -- I can ride with that but its not enough for me to feel good about depth.

Gates isn't hot at guard.  Stromberg is more of a natural center.  So either one of them shifted to guard to fill in for injuries might not be hot.  S. Charles is OK in that role but he's another dude who can't stay healthy

Fair points.  Probably/maybe the one wildcard we have is Wylie’s ability to move inside (in part because we have Lucas able to man the RT spot).

I’m preparing myself for the worst, but fingers crossed that we have a miracle come our way - Daniels, Stromberg, Paul, Cosmi and Brooks defy all odds and we field a quality starting lineup with Wylie, Gates, Brooks, Larsen and Lucas as capable depth.  Ok, that’s not happening, lol… but maybe/hopefully a couple of the young guys surprise/impress.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I’m preparing myself for the worst, but fingers crossed that we have a miracle come our way - Daniels, Stromberg, Paul, Cosmi and Brooks defy all odds and we field a quality starting lineup with Wylie, Gates, Brooks, Larsen and Lucas as capable depth.  Ok, that’s not happening, lol… but maybe/hopefully a couple of the young guys surprise/impress.

It's possible it does.  But I am surprised Rivera doubled down on hoping everything goes right again on that unit.  I ran with it last year and trusted them on this.  I don't this year.  But of course I'd love to be proven wrong.

I like Chris Paul as a player and I like Cosmi.  Both though are question marks for different reasons.  And our tackles are just OK, nothing special.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

If we lose what I think is going to be a very high 1rst round pick, that's going to be crushing.

Harris did tank the 6ers for 3 years to stock talent. If we lost our first next year, I could see something like that happening. Bring in an entirely new FO/coaching staff in 2024. Jettison everyone worth a draft pick and a complete ground up rebuild.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Would constitute immediate firing of everyone by new ownership.

I would HOPE that changing ownership / clean slate would prevent NFL from taking too much draft capital. I hate to think Goodell/NFL would take away high pick value from new ownership for transgressions of previous ownership/management.

Sucks either way.

It would add insult to injury as to last years Colts trade.  I was good with them rolling the dice on Wentz in theory but as for the trade, I said then and feel it much more now, they got ripped off in that trade.  Heck with that third round pick this year the Colts took Josh Downs, who was one of my favorite players in the draft.  If they got another pick from us in addition to this -- wow.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/08/report-colts-are-exploring-whether-commanders-tampered-with-andrew-luck/

On Sunday night, we posted an item about the Luck nugget. Not long thereafter, Colts owner Jim Irsay tweeted a warning to anyone who has contacted Luck, saying it would be a “clear violation” of the league’s tampering rules.

Now, ESPN reports that the Colts are “seeking to learn more about what exactly transpired and whether any tampering occurred.”

This shouldn’t be very difficult to piece together. John Keim of ESPN.com wrote the article that mentioned the inquiry about Luck. He should know, or should be able to find out, whether the Commanders asked the Colts or Luck or someone tied to Luck.

The Colts should be able to figure out whether, in conversations that culminated in the trade that sent Carson Wentz to Washington, the Commanders asked about Luck. If Luck was never mentioned by the Commanders to the Colts, it’s more likely that tampering occurred.

It could be a simple situation of Irsay making assumptions before making inquiries. If, as it turns out, the Commanders directly approached the Colts about Luck and did not contact Luck or anyone close to him, there would be no tampering violation.

Time will tell whether Irsay’s allegation hits the mark, or whether he reacted to the item about the Commanders being interested in Luck without asking his football employees about it. And it could be the first example of a team trying to seize upon the precedent created by the league’s handling of the Jonathan Gannon tampering situation to leverage better draft position from a team that allegedly tampered.

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we lose what I think is going to be a very high 1rst round pick, that's going to be crushing.

Harris did tank the 6ers for 3 years to stock talent. If we lost our first next year, I could see something like that happening. Bring in an entirely new FO/coaching staff in 2024. Jettison everyone worth a draft pick and a complete ground up rebuild.

That would be my absolute nightmare.

I don't wanna start over from scratch. We have some good pieces, its just poorly constructed and horrifically lopsided. 

I have a hard time seeing a soft reset tho. If we blow it up next season, we are gonna blow it ALL up.

• Like 1

how the hell did Deion Sanders end up with the Ravens after retiring from us if any contact at all is tampering.  And frankly that rule is stupid as ****.  Teams should welcome that anyway.  Oh, we may get a draft pick from a guy who absolutely refuses to play for us

I hope Luck denies it if interviewed.  I mean it seems like with his sudden retirement he'd feel limited loyalty to the Colts

Edited by MrJL

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

So has the John Keim article took the lid off this ?

As Keim mentioned, this is round 2 of this story, he did this story last year too but Irsay noticed it this time.

Grant and Danny talking about this now on 106.7, saying if they lose a pick if its a 4th round or above, its a fireable offense.  I agree.

the thing about it is it would be stupid on two levels.

A.  The fact that they did this in the first place.

B.  They couldn't help themselves but brag to Keim on the record that they turned over every stone including even Luck.

This FO can get a bit chesty when they think they accomplished something so if their need to brag contributed to them losing a draft pick -- I'd fire them all.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Keim mentioned, this is round 2 of this story, he did this story last year too but Irsay noticed it this time.

Grant and Danny talking about this now on 106.7, saying if they lose a pick if its a 4th round or above, its a fireable offense.  I agree.

B.  They couldn't help themselves but brag to Keim on the record that they turned over every stone including even Luck.

This FO can get a bit chesty when they think they accomplished something so if their need to brag contributed to them losing a draft pick -- I'd fire them all.   

To be honest I want the new owner to clean house regardless, so yeah, fire them all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera and crew were most likely going to be fired at the end of next season anyways, but this just makes the firing a slam dunk conclusion if the story is true.  I wouldn’t even put it past Harris to fire Rivera in-season, if we get off to another classic Ron slow start like 1-4 or 2-5.  It will be well deserved if that happens.

I am in favor of trying to bring in Rashaan Evans. Might be able to grab him with a decent one contract. I'd feel better with that over giving up a draft pick for Queen plus taking on what I'd imagine would be a higher CAP hit. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am in favor of trying to bring in Rashaan Evans. Might be able to grab him with a decent one contract. I'd feel better with that over giving up a draft pick for Queen plus taking on what I'd imagine would be a higher CAP hit. 

Yeah, maybe I’ll back off on the idea of trading a pick away now. Don’t want to loose too many of those.......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I’d take Rashad Evans at this point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terpfan said:

Queen was hilariously bad for a couple years but then had a Jamin Davis like turn around last year and was actually pretty good. The problem is the Ravens already declined his 5th year option, so you’re essentially trading for 1 year of him. That’s worth maybe a 5th rounder, but I’m not sure I’d go any higher than that. 

I think the biggest reason Queen had a resurgence last season was because he was playing alongside Roquan. 

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It was probably just some staffers being like "hey why don't we contact Andrew Luck hahaha" and someone overheard it and thought they were being serious or something. 

Jimmy Irsay ain't exactly all that sane of mind.

Which is why you never discuss player acquisition strategy with "Alexa" in the room.

29 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

So...do you all still like Irsay? He was useful to us for about a day, this man is a junkie loser. He'll slip up next.

I never did like him. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Now that Snyder is out of the way I don't really care what happens to Irsay. 

• Thumb up 1