Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who makes the biggest leap in 2023?

method man

Wanted to start a fun thread now that we are in the offseason to get everyone’s thoughts on which player makes the biggest leap from this season to 2023. There are a few ways to think about it:

1) Practice Squad guy into opening 53 man roster (Reaves)

2) Unknown guy on 53 man roster to major contributor (DFoe)

3) Solid starter to stud (Payne)

My bets are the following:

1) Kind of cheating because he has been on an opening 53 man roster before but I am picking Khaleke Hudson based off what he showed in the Dallas game. I always thought he looked solid when he got snaps on D in 2020 and 2021. My runner up is Patterson if they don’t take a back in the draft

2) Popular choice will be Howell and I’m taking him too but to make this interesting, I’ll highlight someone else. Taking Percy Butler. This guy is fast and explosive and can play all three safety spots. He is the only safety with the speed to play single high. With an offseason in the system, I can see him making the same leap DFoe made and emerge as a star. My runners up are Armani Rodgers and Chris Paul. I think Rodgers could be the starter next year if they don’t use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a TE and Paul should have the inside track to start at LG.  I think Paul is the most likely to start out of the three but not sure we will say “wow” like we may with Butler

3) I think BSJ starts to get Pro Bowl attention next year. He has all the tools except elite top end speed. With an offseason to focus on being an outside corner was yoyoing between the slot and outside, I think he can really emerge. My runner up is Cosmi if he plays guard. I really do think, with his athleticism and mean streak, he has All Pro potential in the interior. Jamin is another candidate but not sure he is a guy with big play instincts

Edited by method man
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Love your selections @method man The offense is a little tough without knowing the OC

1. I am buying in on Hudson as well. Based on our roster, he should be given a big shot this year. I don't think week 18 was just a fluke

2. I like Paul as well with Dyami Brown as my second. It may mean injuries to WR's but I think his name is called a bunch this year. It would have been easy to put Bates here.

3. Jamin Davis to Pro Bowl consideration! 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

Just to name a few who I think have major upside going forward for us are:

St Juste, Forrester, Jamin Davis and of course Chase (for the sole reason he’ll play a lot more and healthier I think)

guys I’m hoping to see make the leap are:

Cole Turner, Percy Butler, Mathis (coming back from game 1 injury) 

• Like 1

I’m a sucker for the up-and-coming players that have either flashed or drawn praise from coaches.  So Holmes, Ridgeway, Paul, and the three 1st (soon to be 2nd) year TEs (Turner, Rogers and Hodges).  I’m excited for Butler as well, and looking forward to seeing what Mathis can bring.  Of course, most of those guys face fairly stiff competition for playing time.

My number one is Robinson - I think he’s gonna have a heck of a year.  Runner up is Jamin Davis - I think it all comes together for him.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:48 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Mine is Armani Rodgers. Dude has freakish athletic ability and size. It took Logan Thomas a couple years to adjust to TE, but he was excellent before getting injured. If things click with Rodgers, he will be our Antonio Gates.

If they bring Roman in and Rogers is TE1, he’s a major fantasy sleeper. One of the things I like about Rogers is he seemed to do a solid job as a blocker and seemed to be better at it than Logan Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Our young TEs represent the largest jump potential, as they would be improving on virtually nothing representing a monumental leap.

Dot can easily improve on a 35 Rec season.

If he jumps up to about 900 yds rec next year that would be massive.

I think my pick will be Jamin Davis tho. Both because his stats were really low this year so they will be easy to exceed and the idea that he will be giftwrapped the opportunity and PT to do it by virtue of being our only legitimate LB.

I was not too happy with his performance this year, even if it was a massive improvement from his dogwater rookie campain. The important thing is that he improved tho, and if that continues he can be a nice player. It won't be hard for him to exceed his second year numbers either, as he only recorded 3 sacks, (None after week 3) 1 pass defended, 5 QB hits, No INTs, No FFs... There is a lot of meat on the bone for the guy and he worked his way up to playing on 100% of our D snaps. As long as he continues to improve, his statline will look a lot better and he should make a pretty significant leap.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:39 AM, method man said:

Wanted to start a fun thread now that we are in the offseason to get everyone’s thoughts on which player makes the biggest leap from this season to 2023. There are a few ways to think about it:

1) Practice Squad guy into opening 53 man roster (Reaves)

2) Unknown guy on 53 man roster to major contributor (DFoe)

3) Solid starter to stud (Payne)

My bets are the following:

1) Kind of cheating because he has been on an opening 53 man roster before but I am picking Khaleke Hudson based off what he showed in the Dallas game. I always thought he looked solid when he got snaps on D in 2020 and 2021. My runner up is Patterson if they don’t take a back in the draft

2) Popular choice will be Howell and I’m taking him too but to make this interesting, I’ll highlight someone else. Taking Percy Butler. This guy is fast and explosive and can play all three safety spots. He is the only safety with the speed to play single high. With an offseason in the system, I can see him making the same leap DFoe made and emerge as a star. My runners up are Armani Rodgers and Chris Paul. I think Rodgers could be the starter next year if they don’t use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on a TE and Paul should have the inside track to start at LG.  I think Paul is the most likely to start out of the three but not sure we will say “wow” like we may with Butler

3) I think BSJ starts to get Pro Bowl attention next year. He has all the tools except elite top end speed. With an offseason to focus on being an outside corner was yoyoing between the slot and outside, I think he can really emerge. My runner up is Cosmi if he plays guard. I really do think, with his athleticism and mean streak, he has All Pro potential in the interior. Jamin is another candidate but not sure he is a guy with big play instincts

These are good choices but I am not expecting much more from BSJ.  He is the next Jordan Reed.  The dude just cannot stay healthy to save his life.  

On 2/1/2023 at 8:28 AM, Redwards said:

These are good choices but I am not expecting much more from BSJ.  He is the next Jordan Reed.  The dude just cannot stay healthy to save his life.  

This, unfortunately. 

I love BSJ's play but he's beginning to look like he'll be injury-prone most of his career based on his first two years.

4 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Darrick Forest & Percy Butler.

When those two are in the game the speed upgrade is noticeable.

Have a sneaky suspicion they'll make Curl expendable at some point.

Nobody on the defense has Curl's head and football IQ. He's the glue in the backend. He's anything but expendable right now.

• Thanks 1