Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MNF Canceled due to Damar Hamlin Cardiac Arrest - The right thing to do or should they have finished?

goskins10

31 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

On GMFB this morning, someone mentioned that players don't get "benefits" until after "3 years and 3 games".  

Please tell me that this young man's family won't be on the hook for this.  

Deleted bad answer.  Either way all should be covered. It would be a shame if it's not all covered. 

Edited by goskins10

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

On GMFB this morning, someone mentioned that players don't get "benefits" until after "3 years and 3 games".  

Please tell me that this young man's family won't be on the hook for this.  

Hamlin has been in the league for two years, so he is not vested. Basically, if he never plays again, he won’t receive anymore NFL monies.

This guy lays it out pretty good and what’s wrong with league.

13 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Hamlin has been in the league for two years, so he is not vested. Basically, if he never plays again, he won’t receive anymore NFL monies.

This guy lays it out pretty good and what’s wrong with league.

I heard a lot more sour grapes in that rant than legitimate grievances. 

I'd bet my right arm that with the level of media exposure this incident has, combined with the fact that it was not only an on field incident but also looks like it wasn't a pre existing condition that demar will get everything he needs 100 percent covered by the nfl.

Even if the nfl wanted to try to Screw him over I don't think they'd be stupid enough to try.

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

If someone died in my office in front of all of their co-workers and it was CAUSED by just doing his job, we would have closed the office. And we protect National Security. We don’t play a game. 

****s not that serious. And if it is it really shouldn’t be imo. 

Right. 

I’d like to see the arguments which lead to the conclusion that the refs should have scraped the body off the field, put in his replacement, and keep the game rolling, baby.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw Hamlin is making 825k this year. And I am positive the Bills will pay him for years 3 and 4 of his contract (roughly $2mil total) even if he never plays another game. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/damar-hamlin-72596/

That's probably not even remotely close to what he may need. 

I know, we have no indications of what that could be.  But damn...3 years before benefits in a violent game...I didn't know and I'm not a fan of that policy. 

• Like 1

My wife, who has performed cpr a number of times, said as soon as that was revealed there was no way they can continue the game. 

cpr is traumatic. Its violent. It’s traumatic for the victims body. It’s traumatic for the people performing it. It’s traumatic for the people observing it. 

the vast majority of people will never be involved in any role related to actual cpr. The vast majority of people understand cpr from movies and TV. And the reality is that if you were watching the real thing in tv and movies, whoever the pretend victim was would be laid up in the hospital afterwards from the effects of real cpr even though they were otherwise healthy and fine. 

if you can’t understand why it was impossible to continue the game, then all that means is you don’t really understand what CPR is. And that’s not necessarily your fault. It can be hard to grasp something like that when you have no real world experience. 

as for rescheduling or whatever - I don’t think the NFL wants that matchup rescheduled. Or that game I should say as maybe they could meet in the playoffs. 

but no one involved - the teams, the fans at the stadium or at home, or the broadcast crew will really want to see that game “rescheduled”. There is no reason to bring all that back up for a full game. It would be weird and awkward and awful. 

sometimes unexpected and unbelievable stuff happens. And when that happens you just make the best hand from the cards your dealt. Two teams may not play 17 games and we may have adjust how playoff seeding is done.

Not really a big deal.

And if you can’t understand that then that’s a you problem. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

My wife, who has performed cpr a number of times, said as soon as that was revealed there was no way they can continue the game. 

cpr is traumatic. Its violent. It’s traumatic for the victims body. It’s traumatic for the people performing it. It’s traumatic for the people observing it. 

the vast majority of people will never be involved in any role related to actual cpr. The vast majority of people understand cpr from movies and TV. And the reality is that if you were watching the real thing in tv and movies, whoever the pretend victim was would be laid up in the hospital afterwards from the effects of real cpr. 

if you can’t understand why it was impossible to continue the game, then all that means is you don’t really understand what CPR is. And that’s not necessarily your fault. 

It's interesting to see the differences in opinions of people who have dealt with this several times.

As I said earlier my wife has also performed cpr several times and she agrees that it can be a shocking experience but that it's common for Healthcare workers to develop emotional callous's for lack of a better way of saying it.

They perform cpr and the patient lives or dies and then they are expected to go right back to work, it's an everyday occurrence so it's not crazy for them to see the "life goes on" angle of this whole thing.

53 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They perform cpr and the patient lives or dies and then they are expected to go right back to work, it's an everyday occurrence so it's not crazy for them to see the "life goes on" angle of this whole thing.

I understand why they would feel that way, although I know for a fact that there are certainly people in those settings it still affects. Even good healthcare people are capable of freezing in the moment - my wife had to dismiss someone onetime for it. And even people that do it as part of their job are affected - the idea they all just go about their day isn’t true. Some do, some don’t. 

but I find it hard to believe someone who has performed it, would expect someone who hasn’t (like probably almost every player coach and ref on the field that night) to just go about business as usual immediately following it. 

Many of those players were in tears on the field. They play a violent sport and have their whole life. This brought them to tears. There’s a reason for that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I understand why they would feel that way, although I know for a fact that there are certainly people in those settings it still affects. Even good healthcare people are capable of freezing in the moment - my wife had to dismiss someone onetime for it. And even people that do it as part of their job are affected - the idea they all just go about their day isn’t true. Some do, some don’t. 

but I find it hard to believe someone who has performed it, would expect someone who hasn’t (like probably almost every player coach and ref on the field that night) to just go about business as usual immediately following it. 

Many of those players were in tears on the field. They play a violent sport and have their whole life. This brought them to tears. There’s a reason for that. 

Yeah I said earlier that I don't think the game should have continued and although I didn't ask my wife directly I'm certain she would feel the same way. 

My comments in this thread were originally intended to combat what I believed were overreactions to opinions not express that I thought the game should go on.

• Like 1

If you've ever done CPR correctly, or seen it done, you know the other players on that field were in no shape to go back to playing.  They just saw their friend die, or come close, and they likely heard his ribs and/or sternum snap as heroes tried to bring him back to life.  They saw his body flail and twitch after defibrillation.   I'm certain it was awful and will haunt those who were close to him for a long time.  The game was an afterthought.

Thank goodness this story looks to have an unexpected and happy ending.  I could care less what happens with the game.  If the two teams involved agree to not continue/restart it, fine with me.   

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, goskins10 said:

When he awoke and was able to talk to dcotors. And this was not a school shooting which is completely different no brainer. Of course you shut down. This tyo me is not such a black and white thing. 

No he did not talk. 

He still has a tube down his throat because he can't breathe on his own yet. 

He wrote down stuff on a piece of paper.

Edited by purbeast

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

No he did not talk. 

He still has a tube down his throat because he can't breathe on his own yet. 

He wrote down stuff on a piece of paper.

Sorry, I just saw that he asked. I did not read if it was talking or writing. Assumed it was tlaking but fair enough. I stand corrected. 

This thread was started with such an insensitive premise.   Goskins, if you or a loved one died at work, would you want them to "keep going"?  

Personally I think the league should call the game a tie vs. no contest, but its just splitting hairs.

12 hours ago, tshile said:

the vast majority of people will never be involved in any role related to actual cpr. The vast majority of people understand cpr from movies and TV. And the reality is that if you were watching the real thing in tv and movies, whoever the pretend victim was would be laid up in the hospital afterwards from the effects of real cpr even though they were otherwise healthy and fine. 

if you can’t understand why it was impossible to continue the game, then all that means is you don’t really understand what CPR is. And that’s not necessarily your fault. It can be hard to grasp something like that when you have no real world experience. 

CPR is scary to me, honestly. I remember when we were in training and it freaked me out. Cause....my question was how was I...a 300 pound man....supposed to regulate my strength enough that I dont hurt the person im doing this too. How do I do this for the first time and not cause more damage. 

I was told that I wont know. And I will cause damage. That **** freaked me out. Still does. 

Edit: Also I think people forget these are kids out there. Most of them are a decade younger than I am. Imagine seeing that at work in your early 20's. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

Canceling the game was ridiculous.  1 of 94 players almost died?  That’s like what 12%?   Basically nothing at all.  Just push his body off the field and do the job. If I was getting paid that much money just to play a game, I’d be honored to die on national TV.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

Canceling the game was ridiculous.  1 of 94 players almost died?  That’s like what 12%?   Basically nothing at all.  Just push his body off the field and do the job. If I was getting paid that much money just to play a game, I’d be honored to die on national TV.

Finally a voice of reason!

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

How much can a banana cost, $12?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

This thread was started with such an insensitive premise.   Goskins, if you or a loved one died at work, would you want them to "keep going"?  

^this, kind of wondering what the end game or purpose of this thread is/was tbh and if it has any continuing relevance.  

It’s cancelled, done deal

Edited by stoshuaj