Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MNF Canceled due to Damar Hamlin Cardiac Arrest - The right thing to do or should they have finished?

goskins10

As everyone now knows Damar Hamlin had an in-game Cardiac Arrest during MNF and had to be taken from the field. The NFL decided to cancel the game. They are currently looking for solutions on how to move forward. Someone in the thread suggested they should have just finishd the game that night. This ignighted a firestorm of - WTF? One person then claimed the comment was "textbook psychopathic". 

So it begs the question, was canceling the game the right thing to do or should they have finished the game? It's tought for me honestly as I can see both arguments. 

For canceling the game - Let's start with it's just a game. Also, with the delay and the impact to the mental state of the palyers there vmay have been an increased risk of injury. Also, some would argue that it's just the respectful thing to do. I am not sure about that though. Please note that Damar has come to and his first question was did we win the game. 

For continuing the game - Once the person has been cared for, everyone else has a responsibility to finish thier job, and it is a job. How many kids went to that game as thier only game ever. How many people saved for months or even years to go t othat game and now will not be able to go again. When someone has a heart attack at a grocery store or a restaurant, or in a movie theater, do thewy close down? No, people have jobs that rely on those places of business staying open. People have jobs that rely on the NFL finishing that game. 

Have we finally gone too sensitive? I mean a lot of people suffered from stopping the game both financially and emotionally. But we need to respect the fact that a young man came very close to losing his life playing a game. Who takes presidence? 

So the question is should the NFL have canceled the game? if so why? If not, why not? Ultimately, I agree with caceling the game for the reasons above, but I would not have though ill of the NFL if they finished the game either.

This may not deserve it's own thread but this part of the discussion was over taking the football part of the thread so I thought I would create this if people wanted to discuss. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Confused 2

If someone died in my office in front of all of their co-workers and it was CAUSED by just doing his job, we would have closed the office. And we protect National Security. We don’t play a game. 

****s not that serious. And if it is it really shouldn’t be imo. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

@goskins10 serious question - do you know exactly what happened when he asked the question? Like what is your definition of "come to"?

When there are school shootings or shootings in grocery store, etc, do they just "clean up the mess" and then everyone goes back to work or school the next day?

Dude didn't even know the game was canceled:

Doctors Say Hamlin Is Improving and Able to Communicate in Writing

Damar Hamlin was awake, could move his hands and feet, and was able to write with a pen to ask who won the game between the Bills and Bengals where he had a cardiac arrest, his doctors said Thursday.

“When he asked did we win, the answer is, yes, you know, Damar, you won, you’ve won the game of life,” said Dr. Timothy A. Pritts.

Pritts and Dr. William Knight of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center told reporters during a news conference on Thursday that the communication was a positive sign. Pritts said that Hamlin was surprised to learn that he was “not with the world for two days” when he woke up on Wednesday night.

Pritts said Hamlin was able to hold hands with people in his hospital room. But Knight said it was “truly too early” to determine whether Hamlin might make a full recovery and perhaps return to professional football. The next big milestone for Hamlin, the doctors said, was breathing entirely on his own; Hamlin is still using a ventilator.

Click on the link for the full article

None of the players were emotionally equipped to continue playing.  Asking them to do so would have been cruel, and potentially dangerous as their heads would not have been in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I honestly don't know what to do or how to make it up in the schedule so that its fair for everyone. I know all the players decided themselves to stop the game, but I'm sure the Bengals (at least) would've wanted to continue. I think the Bills should take the loss.

1 minute ago, purbeast said:

@goskins10 serious question - do you know exactly what happened when he asked the question? Like what is your definition of "come to"?

When there are school shootings or shootings in grocery store, etc, do they just "clean up the mess" and then everyone goes back to work or school the next day?

When he awoke and was able to talk to dcotors. And this was not a school shooting which is completely different no brainer. Of course you shut down. This tyo me is not such a black and white thing. 

I don't know how you ask the people playing the game to get over it and keep playing.  This wasn't a broken bone or a concussion, dude was getting resuscitated on the field.  You can't ask his colleagues to keep playing a violent and dangerous game while there heads are not in it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• goskins10 changed the title to MNF Canceled due to Damar Hamlin Cardiac Arrest - The right thing to do or should they have finished?

My first thought about finishing the game was:  The only way it works is to cancel the week between the AFC/NFC championships/SB and/or play it somewhere in the middle.  SB can't be postponed, people already have flights and hotels booked.  Just get rid of the week in the middle.  SB teams should be able to know how to play on a week's notice, they've been doing it all season. 

But if the Bills and Bengals PLAYERS don't feel comfortable doing that, I don't know where to go. 

• Like 2

The nfl did the right thing in cancelling the game,  I don't think either team could mentally play that game and yes there's a chance they meet in the playoffs.  It was an unusual never faced before medical emergency.  Someone might of died and technically, he did die; since they had to revive him twice. 

The nfl will come up with some solution to handle this. After all, they had planned for an uneven schedule in 2020/2021 for covid; so they will adjust.  

• Like 2

Cancel the game was the right choice. It doesn't sound like the NFLPA would have allowed it to proceed anyways. 

As for make up, who cares. Judge the AFC teams by win percentage and move on. The schedule isn't fair for everyone to begin with. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I read the NFL wanted to continue and the coaches and players said no. If the players and coaches don’t want to continue after that, then everybody else’s opinions are moot. Even the great Goodell. The NFL is nothing without its players

Also, if it was my friend, everyone else can **** right off. I’ll be at the hospital

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

The woke NFL won't continue a game where most people thought they might have seen someone die.

HOLY ****...if I had seen a fellow worker fall out from something I do every day in my job?  

Gonna find another thing to do.   Know that.  

6 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I read the NFL wanted to continue and the coaches and players said no. If the players and coaches don’t want to continue after that, then everybody else’s opinions are moot. Even the great Goodell. The NFL is nothing without its players

No ****.  No way I'm going back into the dining room of the restaurant if my co-worker was in despair. 

• Like 2

I don't think they should have continued, it's just too much to deal with and try to play a grueling sport at a high level afterwards but I'm glad its at least being discussed now.

I don't like how something tragic like this happens and certain factions overreact about differing opinions or even innocent comments such as with skip Bayless or what happened to Koolblue in another thread being called a psychopath. 

this was tragic and because it happened on the field it makes it worse but it is also something that happens by the thousands everyday and if you for example work in the E.R. of a level one trauma center such as my wife did for ten years you can become a little numb to it and have a lesser reaction without being considered cold hearted.

• Like 1

Cancelling that night was right. Extraordinary circumstances. Even on the most callous of reasoning, the bills were put at an emotional disadvantage.

Cancelling it entirely is fine as long as it has the minimum effect on the playoffs. Not just the teams, but the seedings matter a lot more. One team may stay home, one city has to prep for a game, millions in local economic dollars on the line.. It's a complex puzzle.

~Bang

• Like 3