Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MNF Canceled due to Damar Hamlin Cardiac Arrest - The right thing to do or should they have finished?

goskins10

I’ve experienced a coworker and friend have a seizure at work right in front of me. Eyes rolled back, dropped to the floor unconscious, body convulsing for several minutes, taken to the hospital in an ambulance with no guarantee they were going to be ok. I can tell you that I was an absolute mess for the rest of the day. Completely distraught and distracted, trouble focusing on basic stuff. They could not have finished that game. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

This thread was started with such an insensitive premise.   Goskins, if you or a loved one died at work, would you want them to "keep going"?  

Personally I think the league should call the game a tie vs. no contest, but its just splitting hairs.

44 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

^this, kind of wondering what the end game or purpose of this thread is/was tbh and if it has any continuing relevance.  

It’s cancelled, done deal

The topic was brought up in the Stadium and was taking away from the football discussion about the Playoffs and how the cancelled game would be handeled.

Also, it's nice to have principals, but there are still details and other points of view. And other sports, primarily racing, where drivers die and they continue the race. Football has people carted off where there health is uncertain including some dying at practice and some becoming permantly paralyzed and those have gone on. These are all tragic occurances. No one is trying to paint them any other way. But how they are handled is seen differently by some. 

And as I said I agreed with the decision to cancel. But is there no place for honest adult discussion about tough topics? There was no intent to be insensitive here. But there are clearly are differing points of view. Can we not dsicuss them?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Canceling the game was ridiculous.  1 of 94 players almost died?  That’s like what 12%?   Basically nothing at all.  Just push his body off the field and do the job. If I was getting paid that much money just to play a game, I’d be honored to die on national TV.

Maga maga.

9 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I’ve experienced a coworker and friend have a seizure at work right in front of me. Eyes rolled back, dropped to the floor unconscious, body convulsing for several minutes, taken to the hospital in an ambulance with no guarantee they were going to be ok. I can tell you that I was an absolute mess for the rest of the day. Completely distraught and distracted, trouble focusing on basic stuff. They could not have finished that game. 

I have had several employees have epileptic seziers while working for me in fast food. I had been coached by thier parents what to do in case of seziure. Yes, they both had convulsions and I had to put a stick (medical stick) in thier mouth so they did not bite thier own tounge. And I held them best I could with other employees help so they did not bang thier head and crack it open. It was a bit crazy for a little while. But one of the guys stayed and finished thier shift after resting for an hour or so - granted it was a mild sezure for him. The other kid went to the hospital in an abulance as his siezure was more serious. But he came back two days later ready to work. 

I am in no way attempting to minimize your experience and I appreciate you sharing. We are experience things differently is my point. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

And as I said I agreed with the decision to cancel. But is there no place for honest adult discussion about tough topics? There was no intent to be insensitive here. But there are clearly are differing points of view. Can we not dsicuss them?  

At no point did I say that you cannot discuss the topic.  Imho, (I’m allowed to interject a thought as well, correct?) the tone of the OP was “off”.  I merely questioned the underlying reasoning for the thread itself and it’s current relevance since its a moot point now.  It’s cancelled.  

To stay on direct topic as per your request, my opinion is that they handled it about as well as possible considering the circumstances, including cancelling the game.

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I was in the drive through of an Arby’s when a worker had a medical event that required an ambulance.  I had to wait forever for my curly fries.  Never forget.

Only one way to handle a situation like that.

Spicy language is spicy.

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The night they stopped the game, I said I'd support what the players wanted to do.  I stand by that, so if they didn't want to finish this game, that's it for me and my opinion on what they should or shouldn't do.

How to make up for canceling it sounds like completely different conversation, imo, and doubt players have much input in that.

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Renegade7 said:

The night they stopped the game, I said I'd support what the players wanted to do.  I stand by that, so if they didn't want to finish this game, that's it for me and my opinion on what they should or shouldn't do.

Canceling the game is one thing, I'm fine with that.  But a coin flip deciding where a potential Bengals/Ravens wildcard game will be played is stupid, it only ****s the Bengals over if they lose the coin toss.  Neutral site for all the games makes more sense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Canceling the game is one thing, I'm fine with that.  But a coin flip deciding where a potential Bengals/Ravens wildcard game will be played is stupid, it only ****s the Bengals over if they lose the coin toss.  Neutral site for all the games makes more sense.

Fair, think we're all on same page canceling the game and what to do about it are different issues.  I don't like the proposals either, but let's be honest, if Bengals have to go to Baltimore, Bengals'll scrap them and right the universe anyway...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Home field advantage should be handled by field goal kickers.  Have each respective field goal kicker fly to a neutral site and start at the 35 yards and back up 5 yards each successful kick.  First kicker to miss loses.  

you wouldn’t need to interrupt a week of practice and this could be televised.  It’s far from ideal, but it’s miles better than a damned coin flip. 

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Home field advantage should be handled by field goal kickers.  Have each respective field goal kicker fly to a neutral site and start at the 35 yards and back up 5 yards each successful kick.  First kicker to miss loses.  

you wouldn’t need to interrupt a week of practice and this could be televised.  It’s far from ideal, but it’s miles better than a damned coin flip. 

I say you make the kickers bid on making a kick.  Whomever puts in the highest bid (longest FG) take the kick.  They hit it, they win.  They miss it, they lose.

19 hours ago, goskins10 said:

But is there no place for honest adult discussion about tough topics? There was no intent to be insensitive here. But there are clearly are differing points of view. Can we not dsicuss them?  

I found it obnoxious when people went after others asking about the scheduling/seeding issue. They were doing it immediately after they stopped the game. and people are still doing it. 

it’s absurd to pretend these questions don’t matter or shouldn’t be discussed. Just like it’s absurd to suggest a person cannot both care about his well-being (or the well-being of all the players) and discuss scheduling/seeding issues. 

it’s just silly virtue signaling. Which is something that’s flake hold over our society in the last decade and is obnoxious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1