Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Night Thread - Washington vs NY Giants: Round Two. Ding! Ding! Mothaf**kahs!!!

TK
Message added by TK,

1296459415_ScreenShot2022-12-18at11_30_14PM.thumb.png.00b7b0a9cb4052495faf305dc4c24108.png

Because of the lack of winning for so long there is a long history of "screaming victimization." 

There are always bad ref calls. Fan bases of powerhouse teams scream about it too. Some bad calls, by nature, inevitably make up at least one significant piece of s loss. Most times there are plenty of opportunities during four quarters for a teams' play to have done enough to win without a bad call, or even several, being the actual definitive reason for a loss.

But the continually loser level teams have fan bases that inflate and exaggerate the matter in frequency, severity, and responsibility for losses. And of course prompts quicker and fuller embracing of conspiracy theories.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

What I don't get is that Terry knew what the play was and it didn't involve him at all. WHY bother playing footsie with the line. Just stay well behind it and then he doesn't have to bother checking with the refs. I mean it was near the goal line. How much advancement do you need in that situation especially when it was a run play. I don't think we would have made the 2 pointer anyways. It's only when we don't need it.

25 minutes ago, zCommander said:

In this video it shows Terry looks at the ref and then moves up a foot. 

He moves up twice, first with both feet and then with his left foot, AND he leans his upper body forward before the snap.  There was NO reason to make that call in that situation.

12 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

What I don't get is that Terry knew what the play was and it didn't involve him at all. WHY bother playing footsie with the line. Just stay well behind it and then he doesn't have to bother checking with the refs. I mean it was near the goal line. How much advancement do you need in that situation especially when it was a run play. I don't think we would have made the 2 pointer anyways. It's only when we don't need it.

?  He was flagged for being too far OFF the line.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, zCommander said:

In this video it shows Terry looks at the ref and then moves up a foot. 

Go watch the breakdown I referenced. That was the point of the post.

But I should have said he didn't move up his feet enough instead saying he didn't move them.

Not that I think it would matter with you or others.

Then he looks away, after two separate glances at the ref and apparently thinking he got an ok as a final verdict (which the ref disputes) and doesn't look back as the ref has his hand on the flag.

So you have to believe that the ref deliberately set him up by telling him he was ok while knowing he wasnt and was going to throw the flag on him anyway to affect the game in a way that worked against the commanders. I think that's highly unlikely to be kind. I expect you and a few others easily believe it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

But I should have said he didn't move up his feet enough instead saying he didn't move them.

Then he looks away, after two separate glances at the ref and apparently thinking he got an ok as a final verdict (which the ref disputes) and doesn't look back as the ref has his hand on the flag.

So you have to believe that the ref deliberately set him up by telling him he was ok while knowing he wasnt and was going to throw the flag on him anyway to affect the game in a way that worked against the commanders. I think that's highly unlikely to be kind. I expect you and a few others easily believe it.

And this is where I spend a good deal of my time when I'm here during games. It's one thing to complain about a call or two, everyone does. But the paranoid insanity being brought to the level of an art form on this board becomes too much to bear.

I mean, many here believe that professional refs all over the league are so bent on screwing this franchise that they are happy to risk the integrity of the league they work for, and indeed their own jobs that they are constantly conspiring to find ways to injure the Washington franchise, and surely psychically twirling their mustaches and giggling Snidely Whiplash-style all the way. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Oh okay. But my point had nothing to do with me believing it or not. I posted what I saw and what Terry said. I don't think Terry would tell a lie to the media and obviously the ref might to cover for his blunder though.

And yes it should have never came down to one play and being down by 8. 

But, if a team has a chance to put together a comeback drive and the ref is either flag trigger happy or looks the other way. That I have a problem with. Lots of team try to mount a comeback and the refs need to call the game in more constant manner is all every fan wants.

Edited by zCommander

I also want to bring up the earlier non-PI call on Samules as well as the helmet to helmet hit on Samules, then the defender did a "night night" gesture.  Im just saying that if our guys did that, there would be flags everywhere.  BSJ has had calls on him this year that we far far far less then what we saw last night.  Its another game that makes you wonder what the NFL really is. 

To the point that refs dont want to make a call to decide the game on a penalty.... they literally did that the play before with the call on Terry(remember we scored a TD on that play).  So the argument that that dont want to do it is moot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

He moves up twice, first with both feet and then with his left foot, AND he leans his upper body forward before the snap.  There was NO reason to make that call in that situation.

?  He was flagged for being too far OFF the line.

OK, I was confused. I thought he was over the line instead of not coming up far enough to the line. It's just so ticky tack that it still has me confused.

The refs also didn't call a penalty on a defenseless player as well after Jahan is on the ground and two defenders still come in and hit him really hard and two refs next to that play didn't do anything. That should have been an easy 15 yards penalty.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I don't blame Samuels but he could have done more to sell the call. Refs are human and can be swayed. Scream throw the arms up immediately afterwards.

That could have been an awesome game and OT instead they pulled the plug. That back judge was probably brown capping from that chili dog he had before the game.

Edited by RandyHolt

18 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Where was the short, quick passing game to neutralize the obviously aggressive Giants D? I mean, the Giants were easily able to do this against our own "vaunted D." What a complete and disappointing mess this game was.

Giants offense did a great job of that.

Jay Gruden on the radio right now saying these PI can be be huge momentum changing and some if not all should be challengeable. 

Also said Belichick in the coaching meeting did bring up that we have these red flags and why we can't challenge a PI. 

I am all for the coaches to be able to call at least one challenge in a game so it doesn't get out of hands.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Where was the short, quick passing game to neutralize the obviously aggressive Giants D? I mean, the Giants were easily able to do this against our own "vaunted D." What a complete and disappointing mess this game was.

It was there.  For whatever reason Heinicke was gunshy or simply not seeing it.  At least in the first half it was obvious in the broadcast.

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Jay Gruden on the radio right now saying these PI can be be huge momentum changing and some if not all should be challengeable. 

Absolutely agree that this should be challengeable, even under 2 minutes.

• Like 2

They played around with PI calls being challengeable for one single season—and the referees as a whole literally rebelled against the league’s wishes. They confirmed their own poor calls over and over again that season to make the new rule seem not just pointless and time-wasting, but completely untenable. The refs as a group decided to be ungovernable and the league…just rolled over and took it. It was crazy to witness that season and it was rarely covered the way it should have been in the media. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

They need to modernize the league and work on removing the refs from the game. 

Danny on Grant and Danny show said NFL needs to figure this out since they are so hi tech or someone from MIT, but just the other day I was using a laser line like the one construction people use and said to myself why can't they put that on the field so the WRs don't need to look at the ref and just the line in front of them. The tech exists and has been available for ages. 

But I guess it would take a smart person at NFL to see that or even think about it.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

The "don't blame the refs, blame ourselves" crowd need to can it when it comes to this game. Yes, there are a number of things this team should have done better on offense but never have I seen such egregious back to back bad calls by the refs on the final plays of a game winning / game tying drive

• Like 2

1 minute ago, method man said:

The "don't blame the refs, blame ourselves" crowd need to can it when it comes to this game. Yes, there are a number of things this team should have done better on offense but never have I seen such egregious back to back bad calls by the refs on the final plays of a game winning / game tying drive

No thanks. Being able to score more than 12 points before the final desperate moments is more important to me than anything refs can do. Hit me up with ref complaints after we’re an actual good team who otherwise takes care of their own business and plays winning football the majority of snaps. Until then it’s losers losing to slightly less loser-y losers the way that only losers can lose. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

They played around with PI calls being challengeable for one single season—and the referees as a whole literally rebelled against the league’s wishes. They confirmed their own poor calls over and over again that season to make the new rule seem not just pointless and time-wasting, but completely untenable. The refs as a group decided to be ungovernable and the league…just rolled over and took it. It was crazy to witness that season and it was rarely covered the way it should have been in the media. 

Nail on the head.

13 of 81 pass interference challenges were successful in 2019 (https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/09/13/pass-interference-replay-review-scrapped-nfl-explainer)

If your gonna put the onus on the refs that hard your only encouraging them to double down. Challenging PI aint coming back. Not only did the trial run not do what it was supposed to do in overturning erroneous calls, it slowed down the game as well. On top of that it just makes people doubly-angry when bad or no calls are upheld.

Edited by FootballZombie

I've cooled off quite a bit since last night, but I'm not going to lie.  Last night was as angry as I have been with this team in a VERY long time.  

I still feel like they just **** the bed, after telling everyone to come out this is a playoff game.  Just boggles the mind that they could have put on such a pitiful display after calling the fans out to be there.  Yes, the refs sucked, but the game should not have had to come down to that anyway.  

I still believe we are better than the Giants.  I don't respect them at all. 

**** the Giants

42 minutes ago, Conn said:

This crap happens to other teams too.  If you watch other games you will see it over and over again, this being more obvious but its there. I mean honestly, if i was head coach of a team that played the commanders I would tell my DBs to grab and hold every freaking play, they simply do not call it against other teams.  But if your BSJ or William Jackson you literally cant touch anyone. 

Edited by NeverSurrender
more useful info
  • Like 3