Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

29 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I thought someone said that carson had to take 70 percent of regular season snaps and the playoffs don't matter.

Is that not true?

My understanding is it is total snaps regardless if its reg or playoffs. If Wentz gets us in and wins the wildcard it is worth it. We havent won a playoff game in forever.

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Pretty sure its only regular season.

I'm not sure.

Can't find it anywhere and nobody really seems to be able to confirm that.

If you Google it, any articles I can find just say 70 percent of snaps, nothing specifies regular season or playoffs.

Edited by redskinss
  • Sad 1

I am going to wait until after the Packers-Dolphins game to produce a full breakdown/analysis because things could change a bit based on that game. What I will say is there was a bit of feeling out there that we wanted GB to keep winning so their game with Detroit would matter— well, we really do NOT want that now. Would be better if GB went ahead and lost. Again, I’ll get more into that after their game, but if you’re looking for a rooting interest tomorrow, I’d root for Miami. 

If Green Bay wins tomorrow there is a way we could be virtually eliminated in week 17. If Green Bay loses tomorrow there is no way we can be eliminated in week 17. 

Edited by kleese
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, kleese said:

I am going to wait until after the Packers-Dolphins game to produce a full breakdown/analysis because things could change a bit based on that game. What I will say is there was a bit of feeling out there that we wanted GB to keep winning so their game with Detroit would matter— well, we really do NOT want that now. Would be better if GB went ahead and lost. Again, I’ll get more into that after their game, but if you’re looking for a rooting interest tomorrow, I’d root for Miami. 

If Green Bay wins tomorrow there is a way we could be virtually eliminated in week 17. If Green Bay loses tomorrow there is no way we can be eliminated in week 17. 

We need to get to 9 to make the playoffs.  We need to win out. If we do that, we’re in.

If we don’t, we won’t be, somebody is getting to 9 wins.  

Let me put it another way:

Paloffs is now.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We need to get to 9 to make the playoffs.  We need to win out. If we do that, we’re in.

Paloffs is now.  

I would tend to agree that we’ve exhausted our mulligans now. My personal belief is that if we don’t win our last two, there is a decent chance that either Detroit or Seattle will (or Pack wins all three). However, it’s not like the odds of those teams each losing one more time are so low that it’s not worth discussing. And of course there is also a way we could actually clinch prior to week 18 as well. 

But yes, for anyone who is having brain cramps at this point and just wants to know the most basic info: Win the next two, we are in as either the 6 or 7 seed. 

13 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

To be honest, I would be happy if Green Bay beat us out for the playoffs, but I doubt they will win out. Most likely scenario is we finish 8-8-1, which would exceed my belief that Rivera is destined to win 7 games every year.

Can’t imagine why that would make you “happy,” but if we made playoffs at 8-8-1 I’d still be very excited to watch that game. 

• Sad 1

One thing to note: 

Giants are immaterial to us making playoffs now. Their results don’t matter to us one bit in terms of being in or out. Yes, we can still pass them— but the only way that happens is if we go 2-0 and they go 0-2. And if we go 2-0 we are in anyway. It’s possible we could pass them and be the 6 seed and they either fall to 7 seed or out entirely, but they can’t be the ones to keep us out. Their week 18 game vs Eagles won’t mean anything to us as far as making it or not goes. 

And here is a little potential scheduling wrinkle for you. As mentioned a few pages back, the week 17 schedule is NOT set yet. The NFL invoked their 6 day right. They are awaiting results of Sat/Sun to set the schedule for New Year’s Day. The SNF game next week is Rams/Chargers. No chance that stays. With the Panthers win, their game at Tampa is now guaranteed to be for the division lead regardless of what Tampa does vs Arizona. I think Panthers-Bucs is pretty close to being a lock to flex into SNF. 

The current 4:25 game is Vikings/Packers. It is a “standalone” which is usually reserved for the absolute best match ups. This one is pretty weak. But if the Packers beat the Dolphins tomorrow, Green Bay is guaranteed to be alive for that game even if we beat the Browns earlier that day. If Green Bay loses to Miami, they will not be eliminated yet— but they WOULD be if we beat Browns. So if Miami beats Green Bay, they would be risking their week 17 stand-alone game meaning very little… UNLESS they also move our game to 4:25. 

So, if Miami beats Green Bay tomorrow, don’t be shocked if we wind up at 4:25 (likely cross-flexed to CBS  as well) next week. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

From NY Post

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.56.32 AM.png

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

They're following the Rivera script.  Come out of the gate cold and dig a hole, get on a mid-season hot streak, then fade down the stretch to the finish.   

That seems like a great description of Jay Gruden's run or defining Rob purely on 2021 when they were on a roll buit they got ravaged with COVID which may or may not have derailed that season but it wasn;t a same old same old thing for Ron's teams.

His teams are good typically late, but start poorly.  Ala 2020 here.  What happens this time?  You got me.

In September and October, Ron Rivera has a career coaching record of 34-38-1. In November and December, Rivera's career record jumps to 43-32.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

They're following the Rivera script.  Come out of the gate cold and dig a hole, get on a mid-season hot streak, then fade down the stretch to the finish.   

Without a QB, we are the worst team in the NFC East. That's all it is. Few teams could be legitmiately good without a QB and we aren't one of them. Going 0-1-1 against the Giants is reasonable enough, considering, and the 49ers are miles ahead of us. So that's why we look to be "fading down the stretch." We had a perfect game against the Eagles, but in general we beat teams we should have beaten.

We can beat the Browns. I have no idea how we beat the Cowboys unless they rest players. We might make the playoffs, but I think it will require some luck.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From NY Post

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 6.56.32 AM.png

That seems like a great description of Jay Gruden's run or defining Rob purely on 2021 when they were on a roll buit they got ravaged with COVID which may or may not have derailed that season but it wasn;t a same old same old thing for Ron's teams.

His teams are good typically late, but start poorly.  Ala 2020 here.  What happens this time?  You got me.

In September and October, Ron Rivera has a career coaching record of 34-38-1. In November and December, Rivera's career record jumps to 43-32.

Even in 2020, they lost their last 2 out 3.  3 out 4 if you count the wild card game.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Paloffs is now.  

I can see both the Seahawks and Lions splitting their last two, and with the Vikings as one of their three games the Packers going 2-1.  That leaves us at 8-8-1 if we split withe the Browns and Cowboys and all of them at 8-9

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah for once it'd be nice to be like 9-4 and cruising into the playoffs, but such is not the life for us.

Yet.  The Snyder era is almost over.  Unless Ron really overperforms in 23, his era likely ends next year.

New owner and eventually new Gm, coach, stadium, etc….   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Even in 2020, they lost their last 2 out 3.  3 out 4 if you count the wild card game.

3-2 in December that year not exactly a collapse.

Ron Rivera's Panthers teams have excelled in December

Ever since Rivera assumed duties as head coach of the Panthers in 2011, his teams have been historically excellent in the month of December - The month where playoff fates are determined and seasons are define. In seven full seasons with the Panthers, Rivera's teams have gone 24-10 in the final five games of the season, which includes a 19-7 record in the month of December.

On four different occasions, the Panthers have won four games down the December stretch, including in 2014 when they won their final four to claim the NFC South title. Overall, the Panthers have had a winning record in December in all but one season under Rivera (The lone exception being their lost season of 2016, where they went 2-3 in the final stretch).

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Ron-Rivera-Panthers-December-record-125440326/

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, kleese said:

Can’t imagine why that would make you “happy,” but if we made playoffs at 8-8-1 I’d still be very excited to watch that game. 

Failure to make the playoffs would more fully ensure Snyder sells, and nothing in the NFL universe would make me happier. I am a Packers fan now that the Redskins no longer exist, and they might actually do something whereas the Commies will be easily knocked out in the first game.

• Sad 1