Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things PLAYOFFS 2022 Thread

kleese

I'm looking forward to the Niners game, they aren't unbeatable, Seattle with 9 penalties, a turnover on their half of the field and a drop on what would have been an easy Int Purdy threw to a Seattle defender who was standing flat footed and dropped it. Their D is nasty but I don't see some unstoppable force.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'll say this much though:

This still beats talking draft prospects.

There is plenty of time for that this Spring.

I'm at least glad we're getting to play meaningful football.

I am ALWAYS in this camp. I have thoroughly enjoyed the team this season. Looks like we will be guaranteed to play a game with playoff implications on Jan. 1st. If I can get weekly enjoyment/interest out of this team from Labor Day through NYD, I consider it a good season for my own selfish reasons. 

14 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm looking forward to the Niners game, they aren't unbeatable, Seattle with 9 penalties, a turnover on their half of the field and a drop on what would have been an easy Int Purdy threw to a Seattle defender who was standing flat footed and dropped it. Their D is nasty but I don't see some unstoppable force.

Agree. I really like SF as well and I think they can win the NFC for sure— but they aren’t some sort of indestructible force. As a matter of fact I like our odds of winning there than I did at Philly; who is a more dynamic team overall. 

Now, this is a game where we can’t mess around AT ALL. And we will need a few breaks like at Philly and the opposite of the two Giants games. Will likely need Purdy to help us out a little as well. This is a game I expect to lose, but by no means feel like it’s an impossible task. I give us like a 30% chance to win. 

• Like 1

We're not going to San Francisco and winning. Browns is a toss-up. Cowboys game I just looked and the game is considered a "selling fast hot ticket" by stubhub. That meanns every never-been-to-Dallas Cowboys fan from PG county will be there cheering for the Cowboys and we will be once again humiliated by them at home. That's all she wrote. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I would agree with you that they aren't unbeatable and that they aren't an unstoppable force... the problem is our offense regardless of who is at QB is completely "stoppable".  They will wear down our defense with their very strong run game and eventually take over the game.  Thats assuming it isn't a blowout because of offensive blunders/mistakes etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Apologies for repetition from the Reboot thread but for those discussing the 9ers and Dallas games, under Ron we’ve won 4 games against teams who have ended on a winning record

To now make the playoffs we’d need to win another 2 in 3 weeks … not gonna happen

Too much speculation for me on the Dallas game. First of all, Dallas is one play away from back to back losses vs Texans and Jags. They have legit issues. Secondly, almost assured they will be locked into a spot by week 18; which would alter the outlook of our game. 

Glad I am going to church while the Niners game is on, at least there, I will have a prayer. 😆

I don't think they win Saturday but parity was certainly on display yesterday.  Bears had nothing to play for and fought with the Eagles hard.  Jags were down and could have mailed it in and pulled out a win in what was a fun game to watch.

One thing is for certain, if the defensive line is a no show or we get the same officiating crew from last night's game, there is no chance.

17 minutes ago, kleese said:

Too much speculation for me on the Dallas game. First of all, Dallas is one play away from back to back losses vs Texans and Jags. They have legit issues. Secondly, almost assured they will be locked into a spot by week 18; which would alter the outlook of our game. 

I was thinking the Giants will likely benefit in week 18, as they'll play an Eagles team who likely will have everything wrapped up as far as HFA and probably will only play their starters for a half at most. It'll kind of reverse the situation in 2020, when Hurts was giving the Skins a game, but Doug Pederson pulled him at the start of the 4th, thus making it easier for us to win that season finale and the playoff berth.

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I was thinking the Giants will likely benefit in week 18, as they'll play an Eagles team who likely will have everything wrapped up as far as HFA and probably will only play their starters for a half at most. It'll kind of reverse the situation in 2020, when Hurts was giving the Skins a game, but Doug Pederson pulled him at the start of the 4th, thus making it easier for us to win that season finale and the playoff berth.

At this point, I'll be really surprised if Giants-Eagles means anything to us. If we have 9 wins going into week 18 and the Giants do as well, we could pass them-- but at that point, we may have already clinched or could get in with a win OR Lions/Seahawks loss. The only way I think it's really conceivable that Giants-Eagles really matters to us is if.... 

We split next two 

Lions sweep next two 

Seahawks lose at least once

Giants lose next two 

In that case, Lions would have 9 wins and us and Giants would have 8. We would then need to win and get EITHER a Giants OR Lions loss. 

In essence, the only way the Giants will likely matter to us if is they lose to Vikings and Colts and other things fall into place elsewhere as well. 

For us, it's all about the Lions and Seahawks now. 

I think our goal should be to SURVIVE week 16... if we can somehow get through this week still controlling our destiny it's a win to me. There are two ways in which that would occur: 

1. We beat 49ers

2. Lions and Seahawks lose 

Obviously if you combine both, that would be glorious and essentially erase the Giants loss. If it ALL goes against us and both of those teams win and we lose, then that's really bad. If we all lose, then it's sort of a wash-- with the odds tilting back our way a bit because it will mean we got through the 49ers game without losing our position. 

Edited by kleese
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Glad I am going to church while the Niners game is on, at least there, I will have a prayer. 😆

I don't think they win Saturday but parity was certainly on display yesterday.  Bears had nothing to play for and fought with the Eagles hard.  Jags were down and could have mailed it in and pulled out a win in what was a fun game to watch.

One thing is for certain, if the defensive line is a no show or we get the same officiating crew from last night's game, there is no chance.

I haven't missed one play this year-- didn't miss one play in 2020 or 2021 either. Late in the 2019 season when we were completely done there were a couple of games where I missed large chunks and didn't care much about it-- the game at Lambeau that year I probably only saw 25% as there was a holiday gathering and I didn't put up a fight. 

I have been awaiting this coming week since schedule came out in May. For my entire life I've been able to plan ahead and manipulate things to watch our games at close to a 99% rate-- but for me, a Christmas Eve game in the late afternoon window is the ONE sort on non-negotiable conflict for me. I remember in 2016-- we played Bears early, won easily. The during our family/church outing I was following along as we needed Bucs to lose to Saints. Had to kill the phone around halftime of that game and was thrilled to see when I turned it back on that Saints had it more or less won. 

If our game was at 1pm this week, I'd be good. if it was at night, I'd be good because then I could DVR and be home not too long after it started. But 4pm is dead zone for me. So I'll be able to watch the first quarter or so and then listen/follow along until halftime or very early third. Then, I'll have to go silent for about an hour-- and that's the hard part. If we are losing 17-3 or something it will be like meh, I could only be pleasantly surprised when I emerge. If we are winning or if it's real close, that's gonna be a long hour of avoiding temptation of busting the phone out in church. 

What I would REALLY like is for the Chiefs and Panthers to give me an early Christmas gift. If the Panthers and Seahawks have lost already, then it really alleviates the pressure on our game and feels a bit like house money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

I would agree with you that they aren't unbeatable and that they aren't an unstoppable force... the problem is our offense regardless of who is at QB is completely "stoppable".  They will wear down our defense with their very strong run game and eventually take over the game.  Thats assuming it isn't a blowout because of offensive blunders/mistakes etc.

B-Rob averaged almost 7.5 yards a carry yesterday but we got away from it. If we let Heinicke drop back and do crazy Heinicke s*** then yeah it's going to get ugly but if we stick to what we know how to do it should keep the game fairly close with a possible chance at the end. By no means would I put my paycheck on this game but I think there is an opportunity if we play it like we did against Philly and the Niners are not as good as Philly.

37 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think the last week will be huge for NFL.

I think us vs Cowboys 

Jets vs Dolphins 

Tenn vs Jacksonville 

All three games will decide who is in the playoffs.

All kinds of possibilities shaping up. My only goal now after last night is to have a shot to get in week 18. Hopefully as a “win and in” but at least as a “win and need one other team to lose”— that’s a legit shot. My minimum goal each year is for the finale to matter. Has happened very infrequently past 30ish years. If we win 1 of next 2 we guarantee being alive week 18. 

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

B-Rob averaged almost 7.5 yards a carry yesterday but we got away from it. If we let Heinicke drop back and do crazy Heinicke s*** then yeah it's going to get ugly but if we stick to what we know how to do it should keep the game fairly close with a possible chance at the end. By no means would I put my paycheck on this game but I think there is an opportunity if we play it like we did against Philly and the Niners are not as good as Philly.

SF is a very good team. I do not think they are elite. I am assuming Purdy is not an elite QB and I’m assuming SF hasn’t stumbled onto the next Brady. If they have, then yes, that’s an elite team. But if Purdy comes back down to earth a bit (as he showed some signs of vs Seattle) and without Deebo, they have some areas to exploit. 

Also, I actually think what we do on offense can help neutralize an elite D. We don’t really take advantage of bad defenses, but I think we can methodically move ball even against good ones. BRob is pretty hard to “stuff.” And we do have playmakers that can get loose at times. We have had a terrible time scoring, but we generally move the ball, eat clock, etc. I think we can do that against SF. 

What we REALLY need is something good to happen early in the game. A little morale boost would be nice, but more importantly, playing from ahead against a team like SF is advantageous. We could use a turnover or return or random big play early in the game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Hurts may miss the next two, meaning a higher chance the Eagles will be playing for something vs NYG. Unfortunately, I think even Minshew could beat the Saints on 1 Jan lol

In a small sample I don’t think they would miss a beat with Minshew. It’s a catch 22 though— if Philly has something to play for week 18, then it probably means Dallas does too. Again, the Giants are now a pretty distant third for me in terms of who I’m watching. I’ll certainly root for them to lose against Minnesota this week, but my focus is squarely on Seahawks and Lions— and honestly, it’s on that Lions-Panthers game because I’ll admit I’m sort of assuming Chiefs take care of Seattle (dangerous, I know). 

• Like 2

—For those wondering… we cannot clinch Sat no matter what happens. We also cannot be eliminated no matter what happens Sat. 

—We COULD clinch Jan 1st, but would need to beat both 49ers/Browns and have a couple other things go right

—We COULD be eliminated Jan 1st, but would need to lose both to 49ers/Browns and have things go against us

• Like 3

We need the Lions to lose to give us some breathing room and I'm assuming the Chiefs will take care of the Seahawks. I think we can beat the 49ers. It won't be pretty but I think our defense can cause some fumbles or interceptions against Purdy. Same thing with us though the 49ers defense is straight up nasty and Heinieke can't turn the ball over. I believe we will beat the Browns and Cowboys cause I'm assuming the Cowboys will be resting their starters or play a quarter. At the end of the day I think we get the 7th seed and play the Vikings. 

Edited by HogsVa7

The 49ers front 7 is elite, their secondary is good when healthy but they are banged up.  You are going to see the difference between a good D-line vs an actual complete front 7 when we face them Saturday.  If we had a better O-line and QB, then I would have more confidence in the 49ers game because right now you can definitely throw the ball on them, but the QB needs time and also needs....to be a good QB. 

The 49ers might be the first team we face in a long time that makes our run game pedestrian.  BRob might still end up with decent numbers because I expect his number of carries to be way higher in that game, but I am not so sure he is going to have a high ypc in that game.   

What's unfortunate is we actually have the talent at the skill positions to give the 49ers problems, but we lack the two most important pieces, a QB & and O-line to protect the QB.

3 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Really don't let the kid Purdy fool you as he has been playing lights out football for a rookie and last one taken in the draft.

I watched the Thursday night game when they played the Seahawks. I think he started 10-10 but their was some throws that made him look like the last pick in the draft. The Seahawks safety literally dropped a int in his chest and eventually the 49ers scored on that drive. I think we can expose him but we need to shut McCaffrey down.