Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

17 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Are your concerns mostly about reports of Bezos' managerial style at Amazon?

I didn't think of the analogy until this morning.  But if you have ever watched Gordon Ramsey on Hells Kitchen -- that's been the vibe I have gotten about Bezos over the years, its not that he has a temper but its a legendary comical over the top version of it.  An even more intense, more condescending and profane version of Ramsey. 

As a long-time Yankee fan, George Steinbrenner had a lot of that in him, read a book about him that got into things like even the food vendors at the stadum would cower when he'd walk by them because he could berate anyone on a dime.  Bezos has that reputation in a big way.  For Steinbrenner his high strung personality and impatience brought a lot of turmoil -- managers and GMs fired, it wasn't the model of stability.  His suspension from MLB and then soon after getting dementia of some sorts changed the game for him and the Yankees then had that late 90s dynasty.

I am not saying I think Bezos' legendary temper overrides all.  I suspect it doesn't.  And he might not be even hands on enough to infuse his personality into Commanders Park.  But lol its tough for me to ignore that narrative, its somewhat of a joke in business news on occasion when Bezos name gets brought up.  He also is known to be cheap at times versus a spare no expense guy so not sure if that plays into this -- some here think he will treat this as a toy and not a business and will spare no expense. I suspect they are right.  But I can't resist playing a little devils advocate on the issue when people push that none of this stuff matters and he will be a slam dunk rock star owner.

My gut is he will be a slam dunk rock star owner, I am just not willing to waive the dlsclaimer on him, that's all.  But if he or anyone else buys this team, I'd be giddy.  And yeah i do lean Bezos too specfic to the stadium.  I think his ego is too large not to try to kill it on the stadium and he has the smarts and the capital to do it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Are your concerns mostly about reports of Bezos' managerial style at Amazon?

I would have a hard time thinking Bezos would operate things the same way with a sports franchise. You have to be a bit of a cut throat dick to become the richest man in the world.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

They only thing I would add is getting rid of Snyder is a "big splash" in general terms.  Doing that is going to bring back a poop ton of fans at least in the short term and regardless of the team stuff.

I thought I agreed. Then I saw the crowd at Maryland basketball games at the start of the season.  Not as despised as Snyder obviously but the fans had turned on Mark Turgeon. He was gone, they got what they wanted, but the empty seats remained. It wasn't until recently when they started winning league games that they returned, but they are not all onboard yet.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

My biggest fear is that if no offer comes in substantially north of $6B, Snyder just decides to stand pat and not sell. That would be awful.

This should be our collective biggest fear, as a fanbase, for sure. I don’t think it’s likely for many reasons, but I do think that reports like today’s— which stoke that fear—are a result of the back and forth process where these billionaires play footsies and act coy about an extra billion here or there. It’s all part of the process imo. That still makes it harrowing for fans because this is such a unique crapfest of a situation with Snyder, we have no real solid ground to stand on and make assumptions from. 

Edited by Conn

12 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

My biggest fear is that if no offer comes in substantially north of $6B, Snyder just decides to stand pat and not sell. That would be awful.

The other owners will force him out. He is a pox on them all. This is his chance to save face and pretend like it's his idea to sell. If he backs out he will get even less and be humiliated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

However improbable, Ron could still be replaced. 

He could but why do you want this so bad?

A new owner could come in and go full scorched earth but would that be good for the team?

Wouldn't we be better off if the new owners allow the current regime (who've drafted reasonably well) to have another offseason to build up the offensive line and the few other holes we have on the roster and see what we have in Howell rather than hastingly blowing up the coaching staff and doing something like trade away the future to move up and get what is more likely to be the next rg3 than the next patrick mahomes?

I'd much rather the new owners be patient, take their time and next year after doing exhaustive research hiring someone like Ben Johnson and handing him a good roster with a full slate of draft picks than bringing him in to a roster in flux low on draft capital, a'la the broncos bringing in payton with no first round pick, a quarterback he may not want and a roster who's young Corp is from two different regimes.

I really do get the lack of faith in Rivera being the guy to bring this team to the promised land, I don't think he's the guy either but I firmly believe he's the best guy for the job next year and after that (depending on how the year plays out) the new owners can start making drastic, well researched changes.

This year I think the new owners should focus on things like p.r. maybe get rid of Jason Wright and work on the teams image, God knows it needs it and also work on getting a new stadium and things like fan experience, but be patient with the football side of the operation so that when major changes are made they're not rash and uninformed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I thought I agreed. Then I saw the crowd at Maryland basketball games at the start of the season.  Not as despised as Snyder obviously but the fans had turned on Mark Turgeon. He was gone, they got what they wanted, but the empty seats remained. It wasn't until recently when they started winning league games that they returned, but they are not all onboard yet.  

The Sean Payton rumors made me think about this issue in a hard way.  And the Payton rumors being confirmed made the think about it more.  But the kicker was the podcast today when they did apples to apples comparison with us versus Denver.

They didn't eleborate on Denver but expressed it wasn't a rehab project.  Denver's brand was as on point as ever at the time of the sale.  The fans still passionate.  Stadiums still sell out.   Denver had the 2nd best fan attendance in the league before that team was bought.

This team is a mega challenge in comparison.  Attendance is dead last.  Local TV ratings bottom run.  Sales bottom rung.  The customer base has shrunk in a big way.  So the new owner needs to get them back.  I'd guess they have two audiences to work back.

A.  Hardcore fans like us.  We are easy gets.   Dan alone gone is enough.    

B.  More casual fans.  I am guessing Dan selling isn't enough for all of them.  Some I have checked out but i don't think they care enough to check back in -- you need to try to do things to lure them in IMO. 

I suspect the B audience is the larger pool that they need to rekindle.  And considering the Payton rumors, I suspect doing something to get these fans attention is on the table.  I seriously doubt the plan is hey we just hired Charles Walls from the Eagles to run the FO.  He will make some good calls over time.  It might take awhile but trust the process and we will get there. 

Look people like us would love that.  But these are business guys, I think they likely see them charging in as new owners as an opportunity to push more than just we are new and are making some process oriented moves.  I think they'd try to do something beyond that.  Heck it could be immediate progress on the stadium. But something.

• Like 2

Sean Payton, on the McAfee show said that the "triangle" was the most important thing for him.

Head Coach (Him), Owner, GM. That was what mattered. He could make the QB work, but without a good owner and GM it was worthless. Gave a lot of credit to the Saints ownership and Loomis in NO. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sean Payton, on the McAfee show said that the "triangle" was the most important thing for him.

Head Coach (Him), Owner, GM. That was what mattered. He could make the QB work, but without a good owner and GM it was worthless. Gave a lot of credit to the Saints ownership and Loomis in NO. 

We have been practicing the straight line over the triangle for a couple decades 😒

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I think we’re just now getting into the stage where you can start to see different camps leaking different things to different reporters/papers. It’s been quiet, now it’s getting less so—soon it will be a tidal wave of information and rumors up until it’s done. 

So pinpoint whose angle is helped most by any report, and that is a decent guess as whose camp is leaking. That most recent article? Bezos-centric, creates narratives in both directions whether he goes to the SB or not, seemingly deflates the value of incoming bids, etc. That’s a very Bezos friendly report if he wants the team but doesn’t want to be faked into spiking a $7B offer on the table when his competitors can’t even scrounge up $6B very easily. I’d be skeptical of anything that comes out now, and question who it serves. Most leaks to this point, especially revolving around that arbitrary $7B number, felt like they benefited Snyder the most. Now it’s changing. We’re witnessing the game now.

I agree.  I am optimistic, borderline very optimistic, I am keeping a small sliver of pessmisim simply because Dan is a high-strung impulsive dude so who knows how that can weigh in on any negotiation.

Much of my optimism is about the finances around the team.  The NY Post reporter really brought home better than any other reporter on my listens-readings about the underpinnings of why this team from a financial situation is a bit of a challenge.  Really every thing he talked about applies to Dan except Dan doesn't have to put in the start up money. 

No doubt all sides benefit from leaks.  This round doesn't help Dan's side of the story.  Dan had the first leak about he got bids of well over 7 billion.  Clearly that was a lie.  This new story is he'd be lucky to get 5 billion and change -- maybe Bezos would go to 6 but that's as far as it might go.

If this is Bezos behind these stories, they are brilliant because the narrative has gone from Dan has plenty of suitors with the implication that he doesn't need Bezos to now he has just two and neither want to give him anywhere near his asking price and they are having a hard time scrounging up the cash -- and Dan would be lucky to have Bezos come in because he's the only hope.

One thing Keim and another reporter said if I recall about a month ago was while they weren't sure Dan would sell Bezos, they've heard Bank of America wants Bezos to bid.

The one thing the NY Post reporter was super hardcore on it he knows Bank of America is dissappointed as to how its gone so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Because hes not good at his job? Whether hes been held back by Dan or not is irrelevant to me. 

18 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Unlike Danny Boy, Bezos has a track record of success business ventures. Bezos is the guy to bring this franchise back to its glory!

This is why I want Bezos. I dont care about the money aspect or the personality. He has a track record of growing a number of businesses to inexplicable levels often based on ever growing analytic based decisions

Its what this franchise desperately needs. Get out of the 20th century and propel itself to the top of the analytically led organizations in sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing into what I was saying about liking ownership that is aggressive -- i don't mean stupid aggressive but smart aggressive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/10/nick-sirianni-jalen-hurts-eagles/

“We stuck to our priorities,” Lurie said. “We’ve always been a believer in building through the draft. And you have to be extremely aggressive in every other way we can find talent and sometimes think outside the box. I give Howie and his staff just a lot of credit for thinking outside the box, being aggressive, which is our mentality of our organization, and at the same time making strategic decisions that really paid off.”

Just now, Zim489 said:

Because hes not good at his job? Whether hes been held back by Dan or not is irrelevant to me. 

Why is it irrelevant if Dan is leaving?

Wouldn't that rectify the real problem if Rivera was being held back by Snyder?

But that also doesn't address my other points that a new owner coming in and immediately tossing grenades all over the facility in a hasty fashion isn't good for the team either.

We're much better off with continuity until new ownership learns a little and has a solid well thought out plan.

The former is something Dan Snyder would do.

Don't forget the Snyders moving to England. They've got something in the works, and their finances are a problem absent selling the Commanders.

All these rumors are just back-and-forth. I wouldn't read too much into any of it.

Edited by profusion

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

A new owner could come in and go full scorched earth but would that be good for the team?

Wouldn't we be better off if the new owners allow the current regime (who've drafted reasonably well) to have another offseason to build up the offensive line and the few other holes we have on the roster and see what we have in Howell rather than hastingly blowing up the coaching staff and doing something like trade away the future to move up and get what is more likely to be the next rg3 than the next patrick mahomes?

My biggest fear. 

However the hell we finally got here under Snyder I’ll never know, but we finally have a homegrown roster with talent at most positions and even a young promising QB prospect to boot.

I’m praying new ownership recognizes that the team on the football side is finally being built the right way, and to not go scorched earth and just shake it up to shake it up. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Playing into what I was saying about liking ownership that is aggressive -- i don't mean stupid aggressive but smart aggressive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/10/nick-sirianni-jalen-hurts-eagles/

“We stuck to our priorities,” Lurie said. “We’ve always been a believer in building through the draft. And you have to be extremely aggressive in every other way we can find talent and sometimes think outside the box. I give Howie and his staff just a lot of credit for thinking outside the box, being aggressive, which is our mentality of our organization, and at the same time making strategic decisions that really paid off.”

I agree with this, but you need to have the right core and foundation to do this imo. I think we are one year and a decent year from Howell away to be able to go all in and have people WANT to play here for once. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

I agree with this, but you need to have the right core and foundation to do this imo. I think we are one year and a decent year from Howell away to be able to go all in and have people WANT to play here for once. 

Agree. But i am not talking exclusively about bringing in an expensive player or something like that. 

Aggressive can be in many forms.  If its about the future for example trade down this draft and accumulate picks for the next draft, or trade a player for picks.  Be willing to move the chess board in different ways.  The Eagles are always doing something among other things to add capital. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We're much better off with continuity until new ownership learns a little and has a solid well thought out plan.

Well Rons not coaching on a lame duck contract next year. So hes likely out within a year regardless 

I dont get this affinity by some to keep Ron. It doesnt make sense to me

Edited by Zim489

23 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont get this affinity by some to keep Ron. It doesnt make sense to me

What do you want the new owners to do?

Fire the entire coaching staff, trade multiple first round picks for Carr and bring in the next Nathaniel Hackett?

It's not that we're big proponents for Rivera it's just that we appreciate the stability he represents and feel we'll be in a much better place if we fire him next year than this year and have chaos for the next year while the new owners get their feet wet.

Very hot seat for Rivera, anything less than 12 wins a playoff win and Howell developing into at least a mid level starter and we clean house with a plan instead of just dropping bombs for the sake of change

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What does that even mean?

I'm not being condescending i truly don't get what it is you are trying to convey.

Ron isnt good at his job. Thats what Im conveying. 

The lame duck contract is him entering the last year of his deal in 2024. Coaches dont coach their last years of contracts 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What do you want the new owners to do?

Fire the entire coaching staff, trade multiple first round picks for Carr and bring in the next Nathaniel Hackett?

It's not that we're big proponents for Rivera it's just that we appreciate the stability he represents and feel we'll be in a much better place if we fire him next year than this year and have chaos for the next year while the new owners get their feet wet.

Very hot seat for Rivera, anything less than 12 wins a playoff win and Howell developing into at least a mid level starter and we clean house with a plan instead of just dropping bombs for the sake of change

This year? 

Hire a GM over Ron. Its too late for a coaching staff change IMO. Let the season ride out. Thats it with the staff. "Ron were stripping you of GM and player control"

I want EVERYTHING with a Dan stink gone within the next 12 months. Theres only about 10 players Id want to continue on with. Gut the roster from there.

As blank of a slate as possible for the incoming staff.