Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Bezos is going to ruin this ****ing team.  It will be Snyder 2.0.  Let the GM hire the coach and stay the **** out.  

Youre crazy if you dont think Bezos isnt going to make the organization run in the best possible way

• Like 7

3 hours ago, slinky said:

If Ron is still the HC next year... he will be coaching against Sean in Denver in 2023. That could be interesting. 

IF is the key word here.  I’d wager that it’s 50-50 at best that Ron is the coach when we play the Broncos next season.  If it’s around Halloween, and we’re 3-6 or 2-7, then he will definitely be gone mid season.  This Sean Payton news is great in my opinion.  It confirms my belief that the bidders vying for ownership recognize that they have to hit the ground running immediately upon purchase.  Ron is definitely in the hot seat, and approaching lame duck status entering next season.  It’s a real shame the sale couldn’t happen at the end of the season.  We could’ve fired Ron by now and would had our pick of premier HC’s, including Payton.

By the way, Colin Cowherd almost nailed this prediction about 10 days ago.  He heard from sources that Payton might be eying Washington, and that Payton might be waiting to see the ownership ordeal settle before deciding on a team to head to.  Those rumors were in fact valid.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

Those rumors were because Cowherd is friends with Payton and had him on his show weekly for like a year lol. That’s why they were given credence by people—it’s not like Cowherd usually breaks news. He’s a shock jock, not an insider. He got that directly from Payton. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else find it problematic that (provided his reports are true) that potential owners were reaching out directly to a HC candidate and were not willing to hire a GM and let him build the team? You know, like winning franchises do? 

I'd hate to think that we end up with another Snyder. Would be tragic.

Not really, because there’s no evidence that a GM wouldn’t also have been hired, or even in what order. Payton allowed a trade to Denver, and he will work under an existing GM there who has the ownership group’s confidence and was already handpicked by them a year ago. So there’s not really any reason to think that Payton was demanding/requiring final say or de facto GM power, given he doesn’t have it in the place he ultimately ended up.

It’s all kind of moot. We don’t know who he was referring to, how serious those conversations were, etc. If the owner in question even gets the team in the end—this would have all had to wait until at least March.

Which is probably why Payton didn’t wait around to see if the potential owners he flirted with would even successfully pass through the multi-tier process of 1. winning the bid, 2. actually choosing Payton, and 3. coming to trade terms with the Saints, etc. That’s a lot of “ifs” to bank on when you have a job staring you in the face, and the consequence of misplaying your hand is that you get zero jobs by the time the ownership situation settles.

So yeah, I don’t think any of this is that serious or matters that much—and I also don’t think it says much about that potential owner’s philosophy in regards to the FO and organizational structure, etc. If that person even gets the team. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

PHOENIX — Josh Harris, a potential buyer for the Washington Commanders, visited the team’s training facility in Ashburn, two people familiar with the situation said Friday.

At least one other prospective buyer visited the facility, according to one of those people. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the confidentiality of the sale process being conducted by Bank of America on behalf of Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.

A spokesperson for Harris, the co-founder of Apollo Global Management and the owner of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils, declined to comment. Harris also is a general partner of the English Premier League’s Crystal Palace Football Club and a limited partner in the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers. He grew up in Chevy Chase and attended the Field School in Northwest Washington.

He has an estimated net worth of $6.2 billion, according to Forbes, and tried to purchase the Denver Broncos last year from the Pat Bowlen Trust. That team was sold to a group led by Walmart heir Rob Walton for an NFL-record $4.65 billion. The league’s franchise owners ratified the purchase by Walton’s group in August.

Harris has been regarded as a contender to purchase the Commanders virtually from the moment Snyder and his wife, Tanya, the team’s co-CEO, announced in November they hired Bank of America to consider potential transactions for the franchise. The team has not said whether Daniel Snyder will sell all or part of the franchise, which is valued at $5.6 billion by Forbes.

The Commanders declined to comment.

“As far as the [sale] process, the Commanders are under a process,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said here Wednesday. “That’s their process. Ultimately if they reach a conclusion and have someone that will be joining the ownership group or buying the team entirely, that’s something that the ownership will look at.”

Any proposed sale would have to be ratified by at least three-fourths of the NFL’s team owners.

The bidding process is taking place with the NFL conducting its second investigation of Snyder and the team’s workplace. This one is being led by attorney Mary Jo White.

...Several groups submitted bids to purchase the Commanders before a late-December target requested by Bank of America, but none reached the $7 billion mark Snyder seeks for the team, a person familiar with the process said last month. Amazon founder Jeff Bezos sat out that stage of the bidding, according to multiple people familiar with the process. That potentially opens the door to other buyers interested in acquiring the franchise, although it is not clear whether Bezos intends to get involved. Bezos owns The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/10/josh-harris-commanders-sale/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

I do find it amusing when folk moan about Bezos and Payton, I get they might not be the nicest of chaps but ultimately I’m not looking for a pal I’m looking for Washington to be successful point blank

I think its OK to say someone is an A-hole but also still take him anyway or if someone is put off and don't want them for that reason that's OK, too or if some don't care one whit about it and think the A-hole component of their personalities will blend perfectly into their success -- that's fine, too.   I don't find any of these camps as being wildly in some weird place.  With only this caveat, IMO we have the owner from Hell so anyone would be an improvement so why be so picky?  Getting rid of that douche means everything.

I am in the I'd take the A-hole camp but not ignoring the red flags if they take over.  This is for Bezos specifically.  I want him but i am not just glossing over his reputation and looking at him sort of with a metaphor of I am getting married and my new wife has zero red flags, i am ignoring every warning, lets go on the honeymoon and bask in it. :ols:. I am more in the camp with him of I'll go on the honeymoon, I'll enjoy it initially but if some time this hits the rocks, I am going to remember the warnings versus pretend they were never there. 

Based on what I've read and seen over the years, I don't think Payton is an A-hole.  But certainjy arrogant.  And while i am glad he talked yesterday for my own selfish reasons it was an A-hole thing to do to Rivera.  I'd have wanted him as coach but not for a draft pick like Denver did. 

As for Bezos, I'd take him too.  heck I'd take name that random dude off the street over Dan.  Dan is the worst owner in sports or close enough to the worst, anyone else would be an improvement.  My main interest in Bezos is the stadium.  I think its tailor made for him.  As for running this team, he's a bit of a wildcard because he's never run one before.  And yes his management style is a bit unique for better and worse, so tough for me to throw the narratives out the window.    The good things are he's obsessed with excellence, innovation and efficiency.  The bad things that some have said is many don't like working for him and he can be cheap as to cost cutting at times. 

Don't get me wrong, maybe some here are right and his version of being an A-hole is perfectly on point and willl be embraced and bring years of success, I hope so.  But they are guessing.  We all are.  For me personally, while I'd be more than glad to go on the ride.  Dan selling would be be a mile the most important sports experience for me since our last SB.  So bring on Bezos, i'd dig it.

But yeah the idea that he likes to yell, scream, berate and curse at his employees to the extent that from what I read it gets so intense that he should be the business version of Gordon Ramsey's Hell Kitchen -- its that over the top, and apparently some of his underlings have picked up on that culture -- that dynamic MIGHT be relevant if he buys the team.  I am not just ignoring that dynamic if it pops up somehow, someway if he things happen to go amiss if he buys the team.   

But again, I'd want him to buy the team.  But I am not in the camp here of just dismiss that as a variable because everything will be champagne and rainbows if he's the dude.    Harris actually IMO has much less wildcard to him IMO than Bezos.  But I'd take both in a heartbeat.  And I'd lean Bezos mainly because of the stadium.  I am guessing Bezos would be rock star level good at getting a stadium based on the narratives I've digested about him over the years. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Does anyone else find it problematic that (provided his reports are true) that potential owners were reaching out directly to a HC candidate and were not willing to hire a GM and let him build the team? You know, like winning franchises do? 

I'd hate to think that we end up with another Snyder. Would be tragic.

I talked about this when after Russini and Cowherd's rumor about this came out.  I actually like it.  i want them to be that level proactive and aggressive.

Also I think this organization is desperate need of some splash-aggressive move to get some fans back.  Not people like us but all the causal fans they've lost.

I know we were raised with aggressive-splash means bad things because the incompetent douche Dan along with his compatriot Vinny prided themselves early on for being aggressive and their version of aggressiveness meant doing stupid things.  But two things on that.

A.  Dan is incompetent. So every approach with him at the helm fails

B.  Early Dan version of this team -- still had a lot of fans and they were relevant in the league.  Yeah much of that was him inheriting good will from the previous regime. But some of it IMO was even though he was incompetent -- back then this team wasn't boring.  Bad and interesting trumps bad and boring.  And granted this team is never boring on a sleaze scale but I am not referring to that, i am talking football. 

I talked about this in the previous FO thread -- marrying Bruce and Dan was the perfect marriage to bring down the franchise because we weren't just losers and sleazy but we also became really boring, too.  

As I liked to say on the old FO thread, years ago, the Eagles are aggressive -- Vinny-Dan style but they are actually smart about it.  You can be aggressve and good.  But we've come to associate aggressiveness with bad because of Dan's early years.  But as bad as Dan's early years were they were still better than the later years.  Vinny had a better record than Bruce.

• Like 1

I wonder if after the prospective buyers toured the facilities they chose not to come close to that 7B number knowing that once they purchase they will then have to drop even more up front to fix the void, that is Redskins Park.  I've toured college locations that provide far superior conditions than what stands in Ashburn.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/on-the-money-eric-schmidt-interview-bezos-plays-ball-ikes-revenge/

Quite a bit in this article about the sale:

- Only two bidders as of now (corresponds with WP article about two buyers visiting).

- Next bids due on Feb. 15th.

- Uncertain whether Bezos will participate. 

Lots of information going in many different directions.  I guess we'll see.  Not sure this was posted but this response was definitive to Bezo's making a bid.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also I think this organization is desperate need of some splash-aggressive move to get some fans back.  Not people like us but all the causal fans they've lost.

They only thing I would add is getting rid of Snyder is a "big splash" in general terms.  Doing that is going to bring back a poop ton of fans at least in the short term and regardless of the team stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They only thing I would add is getting rid of Snyder is a "big splash" in general terms.  Doing that is going to bring back a poop ton of fans at least in the short term and regardless of the team stuff.

No doubt.    We've said variations of that point for months.

My point about a splash doesn't have to mean acquire a big player.  But something that shows a new direction.

If I am buying a fixer up, which this team is -- having a competent new owner of the house is enough to generate plenty excitment but that new owner actually doing something -- creating some narrative that changes are coming I think adds to the buzz versus hey its the same house but there is a better steward of it now.

When Peter King said this franchise is bleeding fans years back, he wasn't kidding, and its gotten worse.  We used to goof on teams like Jacksonville for being the no fans team -- but we are today's no fans team.

42 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/on-the-money-eric-schmidt-interview-bezos-plays-ball-ikes-revenge/

- Only two bidders as of now (corresponds with WP article about two buyers visiting).

Bezos ball grab?

Efforts to sell the Washington Commanders aren’t going well – and some NFL insiders are hoping that Jeff Bezos will deliver a game-saving play.

Indications of interest from a pair of prospective buyers for the crisis-ridden football franchise have come in at the $6 billion requested by the team’s controversial owner Dan Snyder – but it’s not clear whether they’ll be that high in the final round, sources told On The Money. 

Among those looking to replace Snyder is Josh Harris, the former Apollo Global Management bigwig who also owns the Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Devils. One other mystery buyer has submitted a bid – and appears to be the only other suitor, sources told The Post’s Josh Kosman.

“They are struggling and there are only two buyers left,” a source said. “They bid $6 billion each but don’t have the money yet.”

With a net worth estimated by Forbes at $6.3 billion, Harris is rich – but hard-pressed to write the $1.5 billion equity check that the NFL would require for the purchase so that they own 25% of the team, according to people briefed on the matter. To close a $6 billion deal, a bidder also would be allowed to take on a maximum of $1 billion in debt while raising $3.5 billion from multiple minority investors – a tough ask that may not be so attractive in any case, given the team generates just $150 million a year in Ebitda, according to a banker close to the process.

That’s not a problem for Bezos, whose fortune is currently pegged by Forbes at $123 billion. 

“I think when they realize they can’t get to $6 billion they’ll say to Jeff Bezos, ‘It’s yours for $6 billion,’” the source said, reckoning that the two current bidders may end up with offers closer to $5 billion in the final round.

Nevertheless, Snyder is reportedly unhappy that Bezos owns the Washington Post – a newspaper which published a series of tough exposes on Snyder that have, among other things, pressured him to surrender ownership of the team. 

As reported exclusively by The Post, some investors are betting that Bezos might be willing to sell the newspaper to clear the way for his NFL ownership. But some sources close to Bezos insist such a deal is unlikely – and that, with all the noise coming out of Washington, he is once again inclined to be patient and wait until his home team, the Seattle Seahawks, finally comes up for sale in the next two or three years.

Indeed, people close to Bezos insist he is much more focused on his rocket company, Blue Origin, which is working with Boeing Co and Lockheed Martin to put humans on the moon again by 2024. These people add while he doesn’t mind his name being in the rumor mill, he has no intention of actually buying the team.

Snyder’s advisor Bank of America is asking suitors for an update on Feb. 15, sources said. The goal is to have an agreement in place by the NFL owners meeting on March 26. If Snyder refuses to sell for less than his asking price and Bezos wants to buy the team for $6 billion then it would be up to the NFL to force the sale.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could do that during the owner’s meeting if he gets 24 of the league’s 32 owners on board. Still, while Snyder and his management team have become pariahs in the league over accusations of sexual harassment and tax evasion, some insiders say it’s not a cinch he’d lose the vote.

“I don’t know if they have the 24 votes,” a source who knows NFL owners said.

Meanwhile, sources said speculation has emerged that Bezos will be a no-show at Sunday’s Super Bowl in Phoenix despite being invited multiple times by the NFL. That would be a surprise, sources add, given that Bezos has been a fixture in luxury boxes at the Big Game in recent years.

If Bezos does indeed fail to show up on Sunday, some people with knowledge of the NFL bidding process said it’s an indication Bezos has other priorities. The Super Bowl is an ideal opportunity to schmooze with team owners whose votes Bezos would need to purchase a team.

Another sports banker, however, disagreed, opining that a Bezos no-show could instead be a sign he’s still in the race.

“The last thing you want if you are a bidder is to be seen in public,” a sports banker said. “The better thing to do is lay low.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Lots of information going in many different directions.  I guess we'll see.  Not sure this was posted but this response was definitive to Bezo's making a bid.

Listening to different podcasts with some covering this story seems like Bezos camp is somewhat coy and quiet so a lot of speculation about him.  I mentioned that in other posts about both Perez and the Fox Business guy, they seem to be spitballing when it comes to Bezos.  Both admitting that they tried to get answers out of Bezos camp and couldn't so they are trying to make guesses based on people who know Bezos think he might think.

Perez mentioned on 106.7 yesterday in response to Danny's question about how this could go wrong -- he went right to its not easy to find even among rich people, billionaires with the liquidity to make a downpayment on the initial buy.  So reading that NY Post article that seems like a concern with Harris.

The other issue that you and I discussed the other day is the stadium issue makes buying the team more of a challenge because its not just the team but also another 2-3 billion to buy a stadium.  I presume if the NY post article is on the money, then these bidders bringing down (instead of up) their bids, I gather is a function of them digesting the additional costs. 

• Like 1

All this talk of "normie" billionaires barely being able to scrape together the cash just to put down a deposit before we even start worrying about the rest of the transaction, the new stadium, escrow for player deals, renovations... We'd be a poverty franchise for years to come while the owner pays off billions in back payments.

Gimmie the dude who can pay for this with the money under his couch cushions.

8gyy7stnpoj.jpg.34ee03ca971bef4a83aaa3f03816d0a8.jpg

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL at anyone that think Bezos would ruin the franchise. It's like folks somehow don't get how awful Snyder is. Seriously, this guy took one of the Crown Jewels of the NFL and turned it into the biggest dumpster fire in the league. Danny is good at one thing: finding new lows. It's almost impressive how good he is at destroying things. The pearl-clutching over the next owner.... MY GOD, WE HAVE THE WORST OWNER IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS PEOPLE. 

SO OF COURSE the sale isn't going like he hoped. First off, I never quite got the 7 billion dollar ask and that the media went along with it. That's Danny thinking he owns something great and not ruined by him. I know it's the DMV and all, but compare the Commanders to Denver, which sold when rich people were richer and money was cheaper to borrow. That franchise had a great stadium and fans that still cared and it sold for under 5. The Commanders have a giant toilet bowl stadium full of opposing teams' drunk turds.

Danny may want 7 billion, but he's going to to have settle for far less. And if he says fine, I won't sell, it will be yet another new low for him. But the thing is, even if the league doesn't vote him out, they can bleed him out financially.  And no state is ever going to build a stadium for him -- politicians would lose their careers over it. If Danny thinks people hate him now, wait what happens if he doesn't sell because anything over 5 billion wasn't enough. 

Josh Harris would be awesome. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

So that article was a little depressing.

So, only 2 bidders left? Bezos may just wait for Seattle?  Team may not even sell for 6 billion?

Will Dan just cancel? Or does this mean Dan only sells partially?

I don’t get good vibes from that article.