Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Vikings ~ Cousins Bringing his Gas Grill!

zCommander

IMHO, Vikings receiving group is better than Washington's pass defense, and Cousins can make the medium-to-long throws to allow them to make explosive plays. However, Washington's D-Line is better than Vikings O-line, which may deny Cousins the time for those plays to become available.  Vikings may find ways to exploit Bostic (with Cook, Thielen, or Hockensen) So I see Vikings still being able to put up points on Washington's increasingly improving defense.

Washington O-line is improving slightly to "fair" and unless Vikings D-Line steps up (they have some talent, but not that great), Washington should be able to sustain the typical Turner mix of short passes and running plays -- resulting in long drives to further wear down the Vikings D for the 2nd half  "McLaurin magic" to make it big contributions.  (To be sure, the Vikings will be scheming to deny  McLaurin as a target for Heinicke all day.). I think  Samuel and Gibson will have  big yardage totals -- but the moment of truth will be the red-zone.  

Special teams are about equal.  Maybe Washington will have a real home-field advantage, if the crowds are pumped up due to the "off-the-field" news.  An advantage for Washington is Vikings don't seem to play as well on grass.  Both sides about equal with their problems with drive-killing penalties and turnovers -- let's face it,  no one can predict how the refs are going to call the game.

Prediction:  A close game -- even if Vikings go up early, their opponents always seem to be able to catch up -- winding up in a close game.  Vikings D is not that great but I give the edge to a Minnesota victory especially if their line-backing group to can do a halfway decent job to contain the Turner outlet passing game.  I suspect that Cousins will find a way get in a few more explosive plays, and I've noted Vikings have good record of success in the red-zone.  (I think Fuller can be exploited for some of those explosive plays.) Both coaches have their teams engaged and playing well -- O'Connell seems very innovative and can adapt quickly during the game time conditions. X-factor:  I'm worried that if Hockensen can be worked into the game plan, then the combination of new Vikings TE and WR Thielen will allow the Vikings to frequently exploit Washington LB Bostic.

Vikings 31, Washington 27 (assuming Heinicke has good passing stretches for more than two quarters)

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Our players and fans could make constant verbal references whenever Kirk is in earshot of our possible new team name:  Prime Time and Cousins should wilt like a wet potato chip.

I was thinking you like that chants everytime he gets sacked or has a turnover 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Man, I have not given this game much brainspace over the last several days.

Off essentially a cursory glance, I'll say the Vikes win this one with a multiscore lead

I've been listening to a bunch of Vikings reporters, most of whom HATE HATE HATE Kirk Cousins, which I find both hysterical and fascinating.  

The guy who was on Galdi's podcast said he went to each of the last 5 games and has no idea how they won them, but he was there and saw them win them.

I think it is going to come down to the Vikings defense.  If they do what I think every team should do against TH, which is play 9 in the box, stop the running game, jam the receivers and force TH to throw into tight windows quickly and double McLaurin ALL THE TIME, I don't know if the Commanders cross mid-field absent a Kirk Brainfart Turnover, and we know those can happen. Add to that, if the Vikings play that way, I see a multi-turnover game from TH.  If the over-under was 2.5, I'd take the over.  

If they decide to try and play it more straight up, I think our offense will be able to move the ball a bit, and it will be closer.

This game certainly seems more winnable than I thought it was going to be going into the week.

That said, I think I've got 2 more weeks of the head saying "The magic carpet ride has to come to an end" so I'm going to predict a fairly lopsided loss.

If they somehow beat the Vikings and are competitive (or even beat) the Eagles, then I'm just going to embrace the Football Gods smiling on Mr. Moxie and roll with it.  

Commanders: 6

Mr. "A Little More Process Oriented and I felt trash at my feet" led Vikings: 27

EDIT:  A small part of me would LOVE for Kirk to throw up all over himself and give the game away just so fans could berate Kevin Sheehan on his radio show for a few hours.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Curious to know how many of the posters are at the game tomorrow, should be a very unique experience I reckon after the Snyder news.

Will be there. Just going off Twitter and Facebook groups Does seem to be a little bit different vibe this week compared to the normal excitement of the game. Some of it early was the idea of the blackout game, 3 game win streak, cousins coming back etc having a chance to be kinda cool atmosphere then the news dropped Wednesday and it went into over drive. My brother has a season ticket with me and this might be most excited he’s been about a game all year 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

So did  "Boomer" Esiason and his co-host this morning. There were right last week. :)

His reasoning was the news about Snyder is going to fire the team up. I agree with that statement. He also said Washingtons defense has played great during their 3 game winning streak.

I honestly don't see much scoring in this game.

The defense has been playing well the past few weeks and think they will keep it going. Probably will allow a TD over the top unfortunately but other than that, tough defensive stand on both sides of the ball. Heinecke will have some "Ugh, that's why you're a backup" plays but some sustained drives.

However, I feel as though will fall short to a 17-13 Vikings win.

Should be interesting pre-game on the channels to see if any of them touch base on the news or simply gloss over it. 

We need to contain Dalvin Cook both in the run game and passing game. Hopefully Jamin has a career type game against him. Jefferson is a stud and will get his yards. Hopefully St Juste can keep his impact to a minimum. Thielen is nowhere where he once was and they needed to go out and trade for Hockenson but it’s his first game with a new team. How much can he pick up the new offense?

i think we sneak out a win again. 

Good guys - 24

Purple guys - 21

Edited by skinsfan93