Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Vikings ~ Cousins Bringing his Gas Grill!

zCommander

The Vikings pass defense(on paper) is actually one of the worst the Commanders have faced so far this season.  This is where I wonder if Heinicke at QB sort of hinders what Scott Turner ultimately would want to do wiith a stronger-armed QB under center.   We have seen enough Heinicke to know what the game plan will be, regardess of the defense they are facing.  Does Heinicke's limitations make it less of a challenge for a secondary, even the ones not ranked very high?   Maybe they will be looking to serve up a heavy dose of the run game early to catch the Vikings defense napping that way they bite on some play action later on?

Also, the defense could have a bigger test this week against the Vikings offense.  I am not sure how good the Vikes O-line is, but Cousins melts under pressure, so if the Front 4 aren't collapsing the pocket enough early, this might be the game JDR has to use an extra rusher or two at times to knock Cousin's timing & balance off.  Don't allow him time to sit back there in the pocket comfortably. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Yeah, that pissed me off, too lol...I wanted them down to like their 12th string TE against Washington. Convert their practice squad free safety to a TE or some **** like that lol...

speaking of tight ends....

is it me, or is Logan Thomas becoming the elusive unicorn (eg. rarely ever available) like Jordan Reed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Head: Vikings 31, Commanders 20

The Vikings simply have as explosive an offense the Commanders defense has had to play so far this year. I just don't see how this Heinicke-led offense can keep up, even with the Commanders defense playing much better as of late.

Gut: Vikings 24, Commanders 23

The Commanders defense creates a few more turnovers this week and helps the sputtering offense out a bit, but there just isn't any 4th quarter magic this time.

Liver: Commanders 31, Vikings 20

"Drink up, shoot in--let the beatings begin!" The Commanders have finally hit their stride and the Vikings possibly get caught peeking ahead to their upcoming showdown with the Bills next week.

Ill go with my Head this week...

• Haha 5

The Vikings play Washington alot tougher than we do. I remember recently they have won out in Landover more than my Packers have. This aint the Packers or Colts so this will be a tough game. I think Washington is capable of winning as the Vikings dont play well on a Grass field historically. They arent a very good road team either and Washington plays alot better at home than they do on the road. I see a very close game down to the wire. I can see a 16-13 type game. I will say Henickee has played pretty well.

The great news is Kirk Cousins could look like a world beater one week throwing 4 TD passes and 0 interceptions. The next week he is awful throwing 0 TDs and 3 picks. He is a bipolar QB week to week and you never know what your going to get. It looks like you guys might get the bad Kirk Cousins this week as he had a great game against Arizona last week. They had to come from behind trailing by 14 at home against the Lions to win, they blew a 21-3 lead at home against Chicago but still won 29-22. They beat the third string Miami QB on the road only by a TD. They dominated the Packers in the first half but second half they didnt score hardly at all. They still won 23-7. They got dominated in the first half by Philly but held them scoreless in the 2nd half, lost that one 24-7. They pulled off a last second victory over the Saints in London. Who knows they could be a really good team getting ready to hit their peak.

A good game plan without the cutesy fancy trickery is best. The Vikings d-line will be putting pressure and the Comms o-line couldn't block a bunch of grandmothers from getting to the QB so designed roll-outs and scrambles can help to keep them off kilter. Logan Thomas has all but disappeared, so some other TE will need to step up and make some plays.

If the defense can keep an eye on Cousins they can pick off some passes; at times he tends to throw low enough for them to be tipped at the LOS and the DBs/safeties HAVE to take a peek if they want a chance at snagging an int., but this is why they're not getting picks, they're only focusing on the WRs' motions only. 

24 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

The great news is Kirk Cousins could look like a world beater one week throwing 4 TD passes and 0 interceptions. The next week he is awful throwing 0 TDs and 3 picks. He is a bipolar QB week to week and you never know what your going to get. It looks like you guys might get the bad Kirk Cousins this week as he had a great game against Arizona last week. They had to come from behind trailing by 14 at home against the Lions to win, they blew a 21-3 lead at home against Chicago but still won 29-22. They beat the third string Miami QB on the road only by a TD. They dominated the Packers in the first half but second half they didnt score hardly at all. They still won 23-7. They got dominated in the first half by Philly but held them scoreless in the 2nd half, lost that one 24-7. They pulled off a last second victory over the Saints in London. Who knows they could be a really good team getting ready to hit their peak.

Really tell me how Cousin's has been bipolar?  Cousins has thrown 5 INTS this year. Josh Allen has thrown 6; Mahomes has thrown 5; Mahomes completion % is 66.9 and Cousin's is 66.3. Josh Allen is 66.5%. Since they are all "winning" I just thought I would throw it out there. They have about 300 yards more in passing. So, yes Cousins has less yards, then both of them. But he is NOT an INT machine. I just decided to take two top QB's with decent records, that are winning and compare them.  And Brady has only 1 INT, a 65.9 completion %, and a QB rating comparable to Cousin's. But his team is struggling. Regardless of how much fans put on the QB it is a team sport.  Cousins has been solid this year except against the Eagles.  The Eagles are a well-rounded team this year, and while that sickens me, because I can't stand, them their D is excellent, and their O is excellent too. But if you look at the stats for Hurts, they are comparable to Cousins, except Hurts only has 2 INTS.    

The 1 that got away  wanted out. 

Wouldn't a win here drive the haters maad?? Sucks, alot of us will be rooting for them.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The Vikings pass defense(on paper) is actually one of the worst the Commanders have faced so far this season.  This is where I wonder if Heinicke at QB sort of hinders what Scott Turner ultimately would want to do wiith a stronger-armed QB under center.   We have seen enough Heinicke to know what the game plan will be, regardess of the defense they are facing.  Does Heinicke's limitations make it less of a challenge for a secondary, even the ones not ranked very high?   Maybe they will be looking to serve up a heavy dose of the run game early to catch the Vikings defense napping that way they bite on some play action later on?

Also, the defense could have a bigger test this week against the Vikings offense.  I am not sure how good the Vikes O-line is, but Cousins melts under pressure, so if the Front 4 aren't collapsing the pocket enough early, this might be the game JDR has to use an extra rusher or two at times to knock Cousin's timing & balance off.  Don't allow him time to sit back there in the pocket comfortably. 

They should definitely make Heinicke beat them from the pocket. Brob, Gibson and JD show 

Chase may be back. This game's gonna be won by who's fat boys play the best. Will Skol nation take over fed ex? Gotta rattle KC.

Edited by CommanderDOOM

Is the BRob train over??

It was quite an amazing turn of events. You know the story.  Gibson looked like crap in preseason and fumbled. BRob comes in and looks MUCH better. All hailed the new king before the game ended. Gets shot. Suddenly, Gibson looks great running the ball again. BRob finally comes back and just doesn't look the same he did in his first preseason game. A starter can't lose his job to injury /s blah and now Gibson is the man once again killing it both running and catching.

Unless GIbson is being used as a WR with our injuries I think he should be our RB1. BRob rusty or simply not quite the same toting the mail should almost be expected.  Note: I did miss the Indy game and maybe BRobs performance/usage wasnt his fault.

Edited by RandyHolt

The team pulls the upset and wins one ugly for Delores!

It's sealed by a Kirk Cousins Red Zone pick.

The wins brings a lot of us back in only to be brought back to reality in the following weeks.

Vikings 17

Commanders 20

Edited by Hazel-Ra
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Unless GIbson is being used as a WR with our injuries I think he should be our RB1. BRob rusty or simply not quite the same toting the mail should almost be expected.  Note: I did miss the Indy game and maybe BRobs performance/usage wasnt his fault.

RB1 title is over rated.

Gibby is best as a weapon, and should not be a workhorse.

Let B-Rob take the workpail carries, w/ Gibby all anyone should care about is that he gets his 15+ touches a game (touches not rushes)

10 carries, 5 recs and a couple returns. He has been able to fit in that role nicely since B-Rob came back and if he continues at the pace he will be near the top of the league in all purpose yards by the end of the year. Asking for more is just throwing him back in the same overuse problem that was prevalent all last year and the early part of this one.

B-Rob taking the weight of having to be RB Jesus off of Gibbys shoulders is what is allowing Gibby to work his magic.

If we need a RB to line up out wide due to injuries we have McK.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Csup said:

I'm rooting for Kirk to get a revenge win against Washington, but something tells me Washington upsets the Vikings , 31-28

I keep hearing “revenge game” for Kirk. But, the thing is, this isn’t the first time he’s faced us since leaving. We played them in 2019, and they won 19-9. He got his revenge with a W already, yes? What more revenge does he need….? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, petey hodge said:

is it me, or is Logan Thomas becoming the elusive unicorn (eg. rarely ever available) like Jordan Reed

He was active against the Colts but didn't have much of an impact. Zero targets. But Bates and Armani Rogers combined for only 3 targets between them.  So tight end was not part of this offense, apparently.  Which seems odd, given Heinicke's limitations.

• Like 1

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I keep hearing “revenge game” for Kirk. But, the thing is, this isn’t the first time he’s faced us since leaving. We played them in 2019, and they won 19-9. He got his revenge with a W already, yes? What more revenge does he need….? 

To say nothing of the huge payday he got by LEAVING US and going to Paisley Park.

18 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Im a Logan Thomas fan but I said this offseason that due to his injuries that I could see the new tight ends pushing him out next year. However I'm kinda on the fence now both ways, Bates is good at blocking and short range, but so far not a real threat beyond 10 yards. Rogers looks pretty good but still small sample size and Cole Turner I was hoping to have seen more though he has been hampered with injuries also. Its not quite the group so far that I envisioned during TC.  Jury still out I suppose.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Good point - forgot about that