Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

House of the Dragon

PleaseBlitz

The Game of Thrones prequel debuted last night.  I only watched 1/3 of it because I had spent all weekend drinking all the booze in Philly and also because my two year old suspected that I was excited for something and therefore refused to stay asleep.  Anyways, wanted to start a thread so that by the time I finish the first episode and check back in, hopefully most of you will be done complaining about how the original series ended four years ago (which there is still an open 100+ page thread about, just FYI). 

Of the 25 minutes I did watch, it very much had the look of the original series, which is a good thing, and so I very much expect more of the big budget epic storytelling that made the first series so great. 

I’m over the game of thrones thing, but wife is into it so we are watching it. 

it was very good. As much as I’m over GoT, I do enjoy quality stories and well done series. I’m guessing they’ll take 8ish seasons to catch us up 172 years, which is obnoxious but at least it’ll be a good run. 

i found the one scene (don’t want to ruin it - you know it if you watched already) unnecessary. I disagree with the writers, who spoke about it in the short follow up, and writers of other similar scenes that always say the same thing - it’s somehow necessary to adequately tell the story. 

no it’s not.  It’s over the top uncomfortable to watch and adds no actual value to anything. It’s just there to shock you and generate buzz. No one needs to see that to understand how awful it is. 

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m over the game of thrones thing, but wife is into it so we are watching it. 

it was very good. As much as I’m over GoT, I do enjoy quality stories and well done series. I’m guessing they’ll take 8ish seasons to catch us up 172 years, which is obnoxious but at least it’ll be a good run. 

i found the one scene (don’t want to ruin it - you know it if you watched already) unnecessary. I disagree with the writers, who spoke about it in the short follow up, and writers of other similar scenes that always say the same thing - it’s somehow necessary to adequately tell the story. 

no it’s not.  It’s over the top uncomfortable to watch and adds no actual value to anything. It’s just there to shock you and generate buzz. No one needs to see that to understand how awful it is. 

The Office was over the top uncomfortable to watch… and that’s what made it special. 🙂

Your last paragraph contradicts itself. You can’t say it doesn’t add value… yet creates shock and buzz. That’s value!

Gratuitous nudity and violence. That’s the franchise/brand. 

Works for The Boys too!! 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

Your last paragraph contradicts itself. You can’t say it doesn’t add value… yet creates shock and buzz. That’s value!

No, it’s not. 

If you watched the writers speaking at the end, it definitely doesn’t add any value as they claim trying to justify it. 

but it doesn’t matter, it’s not like anyone actually cares 

Bloody brilliant. I gobbled up Fire and Ice when it came out in the midst of Got mania. This plot was by far the most interesting other than the earlier years and Jaehaerys reign right before up to the great council, which they hit on as the starting point which is cool. Anyway, I have no idea how much of this show will feature of the Targaryen history or if it’s just this one snapshot. Either way, I can’t wait. 

I was definitely bummed with how GOT ended. Really kind of threw me out of the world for the last 3 years. But if you can put aside the ending somehow the world GRRM built is so dynamic and deep, it’s nice to be back in the midst of it. 

Dunk and Egg would also be a great story to cover but I don’t know what happened to that spin-off, but I know HBO was exploring that one too. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

I’ll be curious to see how folks approach this show. The source material, rather than being thousands of pages of unfinished books, might cover 10-12 illustrated pages. There’s a lot of depth to the story but it’s nothing like the character development in ASOIAF that happened over the course of years and thousands of pages of source material.

I’m also curious to understand how HBO plans to tell the story. One season? Several seasons? I’m not sure if they can develop characters over the course of the story’s arc. Depending on how deep they want to go it could be 1-2 seasons or 8 like the original. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Depending on how deep they want to go it could be 1-2 seasons or 8 like the original. 

I’m gonna bet they go 8, or as long as possible, to make as much money off the GoT franchise as possible. 

• Like 1

@tshile found the scene you were talking about, jus reading about it...

It reminds me of why i dont consider movies like Saw as a scary movie, jus trying to outtop itself from a gore standpoint.

If that's the tone they want to set in the first episode, expect something worse in the future.

I'm good on that...

spongebob.jpg

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@tshile found the scene you were talking about, jus reading about it...

It reminds me of why i dont consider movies like Saw as a scary movie, jus trying to outtop itself from a gore standpoint.

If that's the tone they want to set in the first episode, expect something worse in the future.

I'm good on that...

Yeah. I’m sure. 

it’s fine. It’s not going to make me not watch it. Not trying to take some moral stand or something. 

but we watched the segment with the writers afterwards and it was so eye roll worthy listening to them try to sound so sophisticated in justifying why it was necessary, for quality of storytelling, to show that scene that way. 

and without that I likely wouldn’t have even said anything cause it’s just one scene. 

I don’t mind the gore and I don’t mind being honest about what times were but there’s a difference between showing what’s necessary and going over the top. Reminds me of the rape scene from GoT. They do it for shock and buzz. But they won’t admit it - instead they try to pretend they’re somehow just magnificent story tellers and the rest of us are too lacking in sophistication to understand how it’s just oh so necessary to properly tell the story 🙄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yeah. I’m sure. 

it’s fine. It’s not going to make me not watch it. Not trying to take some moral stand or something. 

but we watched the segment with the writers afterwards and it was so eye roll worthy listening to them try to sound so sophisticated in justifying why it was necessary, for quality of storytelling, to show that scene that way. 

and without that I likely wouldn’t have even said anything cause it’s just one scene. 

Sadly, I'm not sure which scene you're referring to since it could be one of a few things.

Of course, I also turned it off after the episode was over and didn't watch the writers interview, which would answer my question.

I tend to agree with you.  I thought the entire Ramsey Bolton - Theon thing went on far too long in the tv series.  Shoot, Martin writes plenty of gore and he covered/ glossed over that within a chapter or two.  A lot of it was really unnecessary or could have been inferred off screen.

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

A lot of it was really unnecessary or could have been inferred off screen.

It’s art. None of it is actually necessary. 🙂 

Its not good story telling if authors just bullet point all the ‘necessary’ facts/info.

Yes clearly the only other option is to bullet point 

and clearly taking issue with the necessity of one scene (and really it’s just the pathetic attempt to justify it) is about being soft

you guys are so spot on in how you comprehend and analyze things. Wish I could be more like you

13 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes clearly the only other option is to bullet point 

and clearly taking issue with the necessity of one scene (and really it’s just the pathetic attempt to justify it) is about being soft

you guys are so spot on in how you comprehend and analyze things. Wish I could be more like you

It seems like you’ve been having a rough month. Your overly personalizing. 

It might be time you took a break.

Edited by Die Hard

@tshile That scene was uncomfortable as hell for me.  Sparked a visceral reaction and I had to turn away.  As a highly empathetic dad of 3 and champion of women, I didn’t need that scene.  

With that all said though, maybe that scene opened some eyes from a social consciousness standpoint.  I don’t know.

Artistically, I thought they landed it in trying to compare to a battlefield, and it brought that same level of gratuitous violence.  On top of that, I think it served to magnify what the King was going through (I actually think they should revisit a snippet in a dream/nightmare the King wakes from).  I could have done without the scene, but I also don’t fault them for filming/including it.  Maybe just me though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

It seems like you’ve been having a rough month. Your overly personalizing. 

It might be time you took a break.

I’ve had a great month. My new job is ****ing awesome. 60% pay raise, unlimited time off, and they have no problem spending $ as long as it’s for a good reason. Currently shopping for my new boat. 

you just responded to a very specific observation about one specific scene, with the idea that they can’t just bullet point things. 

which is a really stupid response. So I mocked you for it. 

45 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Why are you being so secretive about what scene you are even talking about? 

Just tell us what scene it is so we have a clue wtf you are even talking about.

I mean I would but you didn’t even attempt having a conversation just made some dumb comment about being soft. So let’s not pretend you’re actually interested

—-

That said - I think the intent of the thread was to focus on the series as a whole and not get stuck on one scene, and the few of you who suck at basic conversation skills 

so on that note (sorry it merged everything)

Oh - I used to watch everything HBO. Stopped for a while. 

i forgot what it’s like to have a series come out one episode at a time, a week apart. 

not a fan 😂 

the whole binge through a season in a week or two (or whatever) was something I liked much better. 

It’s going to be annoying with all the non-football fans watching it Sunday night, and constantly being days behind and then talking about it etc. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I thought the scene (I assume we're talking about the giving birth scene) was pretty tough to take, but I appreciate that the show (and its forerunner) does that.  It makes you feel it.  Sometimes those things are bad, but it gives you a visceral reaction.  It body slams you out of your comfort zone.  Few shows have done that as well as GoT, so I expect HOTD to be no different.  

I didn't watch the discussion afterwards so have no thoughts on that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1